• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

So in 35 years our concerns have changed somewhat - it used to be 'When the wind blows' but now it's more 'When the wind doesn't blow'.
1631618184335.png

Windfarms are a scandal waiting to happen, mark my words. I read recently that despite Scotland's attempts to use them, the energy they produce is meagre compared to the nuclear power stations and English power that makes up the vast majority of Scottish power. Don't get me started on the vital peat fields they've dug up to build them - Scotland's "rainforest" equivalent is being ruined because of the windfarms.

Energy Prices in Europe Hit Records After Wind Stops Blowing

All UK readers, if you are on a variable tariff, then in most cases it's well worth signing up to a fixed price tariff now, because on 1st October the price cap will be lifted and the price of variable tariffs will go up.

And it will probably be lifted again in April 2022, like it was in April 2021.

Or at the very least make sure you know what the price of your variable tariff will change to.

Nice own goal there. Idiots.
‘President of motoring insurance group AA, Edmund King, said that during the last Insulate Britain blockade, a thermal insulation engineer was prevented from going to work after being stuck in the traffic queue.’

GM tells Bolt owners to park 50 feet from other cars in parking garages, confirms 12 fires

As it seeks a solution to a battery fire risk, General Motors issued yet another safety recommendation Wednesday for Chevrolet Bolt owners: If you're pulling into a parking deck, keep your car at least 50 feet away from other vehicles.

0b8cda25-f921-4127-954b-f76f01ba7c60-1400x-1_5.jpg

A 2019 Chevy Bolt electric vehicle caught fire at a home in Cherokee County, Georgia, on Monday, Sept. 13

A customer's concern about the safety of leaving their electric vehicle in a parking garage led the automaker to provide the additional guidance to owners of the Bolts, all [141,000] of which GM has recalled.

"In an effort to reduce potential damage to structures and nearby vehicles in the rare event of a potential fire, we recommend parking on the top floor or on an open-air deck and park 50 feet or more away from another vehicle," Flores said in a statement. "Additionally, we still request you do not leave your vehicle charging unattended, even if you are using a charging station in a parking deck."

Bloomberg first reported the latest Bolt customer recommendation Wednesday. GM previously told Bolt owners to only charge the battery to 90%, charge more frequently and avoid depleting the battery below about 70 miles of remaining range. They also should park the vehicle outside.

...the automaker is not producing any EVs right now. It's halted production of the Bolts...

https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ners-park-50-feet-from-other-cars/8355134002/

maximus otter

Clothing made from recycled bottles creates more plastic waste

Clothing made from recycled bottles is actually creating more plastic waste, a pollution charity has found, as it labelled the practice “greenwashing”.

iu

Polyester and other materials created from plastic bottles cannot be recycled and are ending up in landfill at the end of their life, campaigners City to Sea said.

Conversely, plastic bottles are some of the easiest items to recycle, and the material can be turned into new products several times.

“This process sets the plastic on a one-way path to incineration by turning a recyclable product into an unrecyclable one,” said Steve Hynd, the policy manager at City to Sea.

High street brands are increasingly turning to recycled plastic as an alternative material, with up to 85 per cent of polyester in some shops made from single-use plastic bottles.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environ...-made-recycled-bottles-creates-plastic-waste/

maximus otter

Clothing made from recycled bottles creates more plastic waste

Clothing made from recycled bottles is actually creating more plastic waste, a pollution charity has found, as it labelled the practice “greenwashing”.
The number of people who consider themselves environmentally friendy, but never consider the plastic in the clothes they buy is astounding.

The number of people who consider themselves environmentally friendy, but never consider the plastic in the clothes they buy is astounding.
Hmm. I have a pair of Craghoppers trousers from 2011. They are 100% synthetic. They've also been in near constant use since 2011, more than ten years. In the same time period I have had about 20 pairs of cotton walking trousers. Not only do those cotton ones last less long but they are also partly synthetic with 3-5% rayon in them, so they are mixed waste. The fully synthetic trousers have lasted better, provided better protection from the weather, dry faster, have been worn for literally tens of thousands of hours, are still usable.

In my opinion these fully synthetic trousers are a great example of how a fully synthetic material can actually be greener than non-synthetic alternatives. Unfortunately Craghoppers discontinued the product and I was never able to pick up another pair.

I am quietly a very ecologically conscious person, but I like to carefully consider all aspects of a product. Plastic, like other materials, had its appropriate uses.

Hmm. I have a pair of Craghoppers trousers from 2011. They are 100% synthetic. They've also been in near constant use since 2011, more than ten years. In the same time period I have had about 20 pairs of cotton walking trousers. Not only do those cotton ones last less long but they are also partly synthetic with 3-5% rayon in them, so they are mixed waste. The fully synthetic trousers have lasted better, provided better protection from the weather, dry faster, have been worn for literally tens of thousands of hours, are still usable.

In my opinion these fully synthetic trousers are a great example of how a fully synthetic material can actually be greener than non-synthetic alternatives. Unfortunately Craghoppers discontinued the product and I was never able to pick up another pair.

I am quietly a very ecologically conscious person, but I like to carefully consider all aspects of a product. Plastic, like other materials, had its appropriate uses.
I am the same. I really get my money's worth out of my (few) clothes. I have until very recently even been wearing espadrilles/boat shoes whatever you want to call them, with holes in the soles. I have clothes that most people would have chucked out years ago. Some people throw clothes out, not necessarily even because they've worn out, but because they want 'a change'. But that's the point- most people are not like that these days. And I think the problem, apart from landfills is that plastic microbeads from the washing of said products is getting into the water systems and oceans.

Yes microplastics are a serious issue. The marine conservation society is lobbying washing machine manufacturers to fit filters, I think that is probably the best approach.

I do agree many people are unfortunately wasteful of clothing, just chucking it in the bin rather than finding out how to recycle or reuse, and yes I agree that we are unusual in using stuff until it really can't be any more. Only education and change in tastes and values can help with that, I think. Local authorities could do more.

Pretty much all old textiles (including clothing) have provision for recycling at a number of places.
Round these parts (Hertfordshire) the local councils provide large metal cubic repositorys at the side of the road, usually next to local shopping parades as there is plenty of parking. There are usually 3 or 4 types of 'bin', one for paper/card, one for glass, one for plastics and one for 'textiles'.
Larger versions of the same are available at the local 'household waste site' (tip/dump).
And most charity shops sort through donated clothing etc and anything that is not of a saleable quality will be bagged up for collection by companies that recycle it, even paying the charity shop 'by the bag' for it.

Pretty much all old textiles (including clothing) have provision for recycling at a number of places.
Round these parts (Hertfordshire) the local councils provide large metal cubic repositorys at the side of the road, usually next to local shopping parades as there is plenty of parking. There are usually 3 or 4 types of 'bin', one for paper/card, one for glass, one for plastics and one for 'textiles'.
Larger versions of the same are available at the local 'household waste site' (tip/dump).
And most charity shops sort through donated clothing etc and anything that is not of a saleable quality will be bagged up for collection by companies that recycle it, even paying the charity shop 'by the bag' for it.
How much of these are actually 'recycled' though, I know a lot of them end up in third world countries where they are worn again, but I'm not sure if the man-made items are actually recycled as such.

I have no idea.
It wouldn't surprise me if (like a lot of 'recycled' items) it all just gets compressed into bales and bunged into containers to the far east where it goes into landfill.
I have heard that during the war when people where asked to donate their pots and pans/railings etc that they couldn't really do anything with them so they were dumped in the sea as it was just a propaganda excercise. Ie if you've lost your best frying pan (because you are a good citizen) you will be damn angry at the Hitler chap, kind of thing.

I have heard that during the war when people where asked to donate their pots and pans/railings etc that they couldn't really do anything with them so they were dumped in the sea as it was just a propaganda excercise. Ie if you've lost your best frying pan (because you are a good citizen) you will be damn angry at the Hitler chap, kind of thing.
Yes I heard it was dumped which I think is pretty bad.

“…a letter from 1984 to the Evening Standard…says in full:

I was interested in your item about the railings which are to be replaced in Ennismore Gardens. The tragedy is that so many of London’s railings were pulled down in order to support Britain’s war effort, bearing in mind that they never became the guns and tanks they were intended for.

In fact I believe that many hundreds of tons of scrap iron and ornamental railings were sent to the bottom in the Thames Estuary because Britain was unable to process this ironwork into weapons of war.

Christopher Long
Earl’s Court Square,
Earl’s Court,
London SW5.

The forum correspondent goes on to add: ‘This information came from dockers in Canning Town in 1978 who had worked during the war on ‘lighters’ that were towed down the Thames estuary to dump vast quantities of scrap metal and decorative ironwork. They claimed that so much was dumped at certain spots in the estuary that ships passing the area needed pilots to guide them because their compasses were so strongly affected by the quantity of iron on the sea-bed.’

https://greatwen.com/2012/04/17/secret-london-the-mystery-of-londons-world-war-ii-railings/

:dunno:

There would be close to zero military use for the cast iron from railings, etc., and, IIRC, the aluminium from kitchen implements was the wrong grade for use in aircraft.

On balance, my uneducated opinion would be that “It was a morale-boosting activity which got people pulling together, and signalled the virtue of participants”, a mindset which persists to this day…

maximus otter

Nothing Green Ever Works: the perfect six-step environmental virtue loop

One: Britain goes big on wind turbines in order to reduce carbon dioxide emissions from traditional power sources.

Two: The wind don't blow and the power don’t flow.

Three: A subsequent massive increase in demand for natural gas as a power source drives wholesale gas prices through the roof.

Four: CF Fertilisers, a US-owned British fertiliser business that also produces carbon dioxide for commercial use, suspends production because high gas prices have made the business unprofitable.

Five: Carbon dioxide is a required component for meat packaging. Without reliable supplies of commercial carbon dioxide, Britain faces a food shortage.

Six: The British government, which spent millions of pounds to cut carbon dioxide emissions, will now give millions of pounds to CF Fertilisers so it can produce carbon dioxide.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/b...p/news-story/8914717dcdf5b1ef97d61ec507e559f5

maximus otter

“…a letter from 1984 to the Evening Standard…says in full:

I was interested in your item about the railings which are to be replaced in Ennismore Gardens. The tragedy is that so many of London’s railings were pulled down in order to support Britain’s war effort, bearing in mind that they never became the guns and tanks they were intended for.

In fact I believe that many hundreds of tons of scrap iron and ornamental railings were sent to the bottom in the Thames Estuary because Britain was unable to process this ironwork into weapons of war.

Christopher Long
Earl’s Court Square,
Earl’s Court,
London SW5.

The forum correspondent goes on to add: ‘This information came from dockers in Canning Town in 1978 who had worked during the war on ‘lighters’ that were towed down the Thames estuary to dump vast quantities of scrap metal and decorative ironwork. They claimed that so much was dumped at certain spots in the estuary that ships passing the area needed pilots to guide them because their compasses were so strongly affected by the quantity of iron on the sea-bed.’

https://greatwen.com/2012/04/17/secret-london-the-mystery-of-londons-world-war-ii-railings/

:dunno:

There would be close to zero military use for the cast iron from railings, etc., and, IIRC, the aluminium from kitchen implements was the wrong grade for use in aircraft.

On balance, my uneducated opinion would be that “It was a morale-boosting activity which got people pulling together, and signalled the virtue of participants”, a mindset which persists to this day…

maximus otter
Ah ha!

Three: A subsequent massive increase in demand for natural gas as a power source drives wholesale gas prices through the roof.

maximus otter
Whatever you do don't bother cooking beetroot. I've had some on the gas hob now for an hour and it's still not done. (Not my idea- too much effort and more importantly, cost, for my liking.)

Whatever you do don't bother cooking beetroot. I've had some on the gas hob now for an hour and it's still not done. (Not my idea- too much effort and more importantly, cost, for my liking.)
Beetroot is the devils testicles, it tastes like mud, I avoid it at all cost. :p

Beetroot is the devils testicles, it tastes like mud, I avoid it at all cost. :p
The problem is I love the stuff especially the raw ones you have to boil (for ever). It's just a lot of effort and cost. I'm not keen on the vinegary shop bought stuff in jars, although some is better than others.

The problem is I love the stuff especially the raw ones you have to boil (for ever). It's just a lot of effort and cost. I'm not keen on the vinegary shop bought stuff in jars, although some is better than others.
You can buy precooked beetroot of the unpickled variety

Screenshot_20211011-120202_Chrome.jpg

You can buy precooked beetroot of the unpickled variety

View attachment 46468
Yes that's far better, and that's the one I will buy on most occassions, but it's still not the same quality as the stuff MrsF had delivered last week that you have to cook yourself. It's the same with store bought pickles. They've had all the 'goodness' heated out of them.

One: Britain goes big on wind turbines in order to reduce carbon dioxide emissions from traditional power sources.

Two: The wind don't blow and the power don’t flow.

Four: CF Fertilisers, a US-owned British fertiliser business that also produces carbon dioxide for commercial use, suspends production because high gas prices have made the business unprofitable.

Five: Carbon dioxide is a required component for meat packaging. Without reliable supplies of commercial carbon dioxide, Britain faces a food shortage.

Six: The British government, which spent millions of pounds to cut carbon dioxide emissions, will now give millions of pounds to CF Fertilisers so it can produce carbon dioxide.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/b...p/news-story/8914717dcdf5b1ef97d61ec507e559f5

maximus otter

I suspect the government won’t be giving millions to anyone. We will.

It's like the eco friendly white lines on rds. that brake up and road signs that go brown,
they have to be replaced 3 times more often not to mention all the fuel and faf actually
going the job, It may seem a good idea at first but over time they can be much worse
for the environment than what we had.

Back