• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

We have just had a power cut went off at about 12 and is estimated to be back about 3
a neighbour on a vulnerable list got a call telling them it was a high voltage fault and strangely
they asked if they could smell burning? can only think a transformer as blown and sent
a voltage spike down the wires, all the village and the next seem to be off, good practice
for when we go fully wind and sun.

My brother has bought an 'inverter' which changes DC to AC voltage. Wired into his BMW X5 it will provide enough power to run his whole house pretty much (as long as he doesn't try and boil a kettle at the same time) and has an internal storage battery that will provide back-up for about 3 hours should the fuel in the car run out.

It's like the eco friendly white lines on rds. that brake up and road signs that go brown,
they have to be replaced 3 times more often not to mention all the fuel and faf actually
going the job, It may seem a good idea at first but over time they can be much worse
for the environment than what we had.
Ah ah! Is that the reason? - I've been asking this question for a good while now. I noticed it a few years ago and asked a guy when they were asphalting the road next to my house. I asked if it was my imagination (that the lines don't last five minutes anymore) and he said ''No you're correct, it's a new formulae''. Must cost a fortune to keep coming back out every few months.

Would a pressure cooker help? Even a haybox?
Sshhhh Don't tell MrsF she'll want one. But we just haven't the room for any more stuff. I can manage with about three utensils (including a wok of course) and even though we have a lot less stuff than most people, it's still too much.

Reactions: RaM
Powers back now that's another thing you pay extra for so called green power
some advertise 100% green power but only about one third is green at best
and its all pumped into the same grid so how could anyone know were the
hell it was generated, not only that but as there are no fuel costs with green
energy why should it be more expensive, then again when they started the
nuk power plants they told us it was expensive to build but once running
it would be to cheap to bother metering, the real reason was to run the reactors
and produce plutonium for the bomb.
I am getting very cynical in my old age or so they tell me.

:omr:

Must cost a fortune to keep coming back out every few months.
Thing is, it comes down to a short-sightedness caused by sticking to annual budgets.
The department responsible for maintaining the road surface probably gets enough annually to do just that during each year, 'maintain the road surface', so as long as whatever they do lasts a year then that's good enough, regardless of whether or not it works out better to do a full replacement once every 10 years.
That's why you rarely see roads getting fully resurfaced these days - most often it'll be patch repairs with 'pouring a bit of black in there'.

Thing is, it comes down to a short-sightedness caused by sticking to annual budgets.
The department responsible for maintaining the road surface probably gets enough annually to do just that during each year, 'maintain the road surface', so as long as whatever they do lasts a year then that's good enough, regardless of whether or not it works out better to do a full replacement once every 10 years.
That's why you rarely see roads getting fully resurfaced these days - most often it'll be patch repairs with 'pouring a bit of black in there'.
Yes. There's a famous pothole here that they've been coming back to again and again. I mentioned it to an old boy I know and he told me they'd be re-doing every few months long before I got here. Problem is they don't square it off neatly, dig down a good way and do it properly. They, as you say, just spread a bit of thin asphalt on top and often don't even seal the edges. It's up again in a month at best.

I don't know if you have the same but round here they have a truck running
round with this machine on the back that blow's what looks like runny tarmac
into any holes it is aimed at, it seems to work sort of on small holes but when
they use it on longer strips it quickly turns into a wash board effect worthy of
any car test track.

My brother has bought an 'inverter' which changes DC to AC voltage. Wired into his BMW X5 it will provide enough power to run his whole house pretty much (as long as he doesn't try and boil a kettle at the same time) and has an internal storage battery that will provide back-up for about 3 hours should the fuel in the car run out.
Always be wary of the automotive ones that you don't overload the electrical system in the car - those that plug into the cigarette lighter should never be above 150W max - good ones will wire straight to the battery. I have one in the Landrover and it's been handy a few times. I also have a couple of older computer UPS units that I "recycled" for my own use, which as well as keeping the computers on can run some lights for a short time in the event of a power outage.

“…a letter from 1984 to the Evening Standard…says in full:

I was interested in your item about the railings which are to be replaced in Ennismore Gardens. The tragedy is that so many of London’s railings were pulled down in order to support Britain’s war effort, bearing in mind that they never became the guns and tanks they were intended for.

In fact I believe that many hundreds of tons of scrap iron and ornamental railings were sent to the bottom in the Thames Estuary because Britain was unable to process this ironwork into weapons of war.

Christopher Long
Earl’s Court Square,
Earl’s Court,
London SW5.

The forum correspondent goes on to add: ‘This information came from dockers in Canning Town in 1978 who had worked during the war on ‘lighters’ that were towed down the Thames estuary to dump vast quantities of scrap metal and decorative ironwork. They claimed that so much was dumped at certain spots in the estuary that ships passing the area needed pilots to guide them because their compasses were so strongly affected by the quantity of iron on the sea-bed.’

https://greatwen.com/2012/04/17/secret-london-the-mystery-of-londons-world-war-ii-railings/

:dunno:

There would be close to zero military use for the cast iron from railings, etc., and, IIRC, the aluminium from kitchen implements was the wrong grade for use in aircraft.

On balance, my uneducated opinion would be that “It was a morale-boosting activity which got people pulling together, and signalled the virtue of participants”, a mindset which persists to this day…

maximus otter

Well, thank god that doesn't happen anymore! So relieved.....

Coldplay's new world tour, which according to Chris Martin, will be the most environmentally friendly tour possible, will be fueled by the power of dance.

"Coldplay's next tour will partly be powered by a dancefloor that generates electricity when fans jump up and down, and pedal power at the venues.

It's part of a 12-point plan to cut their carbon footprint, two years after the band pledged not to tour until they could do so in a more sustainable way.

Singer Chris Martin told the BBC in his first interview about the plans that fans will be on "kinetic flooring".
"When they move, they power the concert," he said.

"And we have bicycles too that do the same thing," Martin told BBC entertainment correspondent Colin Paterson."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58898766

I'm guessing the aeroplanes they are using to fly to the venues will be powered purely by Martins ego, self satisfaction and smugness :p

Coldplay's new world tour, which according to Chris Martin, will be the most environmentally friendly tour possible, will be fueled by the power of dance.

"Coldplay's next tour will partly be powered by a dancefloor that generates electricity when fans jump up and down, and pedal power at the venues.

It's part of a 12-point plan to cut their carbon footprint, two years after the band pledged not to tour until they could do so in a more sustainable way.

Singer Chris Martin told the BBC in his first interview about the plans that fans will be on "kinetic flooring".
"When they move, they power the concert," he said.

"And we have bicycles too that do the same thing," Martin told BBC entertainment correspondent Colin Paterson."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58898766

I'm guessing the aeroplanes they are using to fly to the venues will be powered purely by Martins ego, self satisfaction and smugness :p
There will probably be hidden diesel generators at the gig.
Kinetic flooring, pffft!

Bake it in foil when the oven is on for something else.
We dish up roasted beetroot with the Sunday roast if we have one.

Beetroot rocks.

The 1980's for everyone else was big for the introduction of Princess Diana. The 1980's for me was my introduction of beetroot.

ESG funding means every company will now come up with some environmental or social scheme that plays well to the gallery but impresses no one who has seen a play before.

The amount of corrupt and borderline evil companies who plaster rainbows and trees all over the shop front whilst keeping slaves to pour pollutants into rivers in the back is now too many to count.

Smart Meters - which send your meter readings directly to the energy companies.

For Electricity and Gas.

They do have a positive use for people who are disabled/sight impaired and cannot easily read their meter.

But they do little if anything in the way of reducing consumption and making the world greener.

They have to be manufactured in factories, distributed to warehouses and installed by engineers who drive vans.
All energy intensive activities.

They do the same job as an existing meter i.e. record your power usage.

Some do not reliably transmit readings either, if there is a poor signal in the property they are installed in.

Conspiracy theories abound that they will be used to limit consumption during power shortage,s but I very much doubt they are electronically capable of that.
And if needed, it would be far easier for a power company to simply reduce it's output to the electricity and gas national grids.

Smart Meters...

Conspiracy theories abound that they will be used to limit consumption during power shortage,s but I very much doubt they are electronically capable of that.

"Energy firm plans could see smart meters used to turn off electric central heating

The measures would only be used in emergency situations and with the full consent of the customer [ :rolleyes: m.o. ]

Smart meters could allow energy networks to switch off central heating systems under proposals being considered by the watchdog.

The plans, tabled by Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), would allow distributors to contact consumers directly to ask for permission to temporarily turn off appliances with high usage, including heat pumps and electric vehicle chargers."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...uld-used-turn-heating-vehicle-chargers-plans/

"British Gas confirmed that “remote disconnection” is possible..."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/a...nergy-suppliers-hackers-turn-supply-remotely/

"ENERGY giants can use smart meters to cut off the power supply to your home in a bid to make you pay upfront.

If you have a new digital meter, suppliers will be able to switch it to a pre-payment setting without even entering your property."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/6884780/energy-giants-smart-meters-cut-off-power-supply/

maximus otter

"Energy firm plans could see smart meters used to turn off electric central heating

The measures would only be used in emergency situations and with the full consent of the customer [ :rolleyes: m.o. ]

Smart meters could allow energy networks to switch off central heating systems under proposals being considered by the watchdog.

The plans, tabled by Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), would allow distributors to contact consumers directly to ask for permission to temporarily turn off appliances with high usage, including heat pumps and electric vehicle chargers."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...uld-used-turn-heating-vehicle-chargers-plans/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/a...nergy-suppliers-hackers-turn-supply-remotely/

"ENERGY giants can use smart meters to cut off the power supply to your home in a bid to make you pay upfront.

If you have a new digital meter, suppliers will be able to switch it to a pre-payment setting without even entering your property."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/6884780/energy-giants-smart-meters-cut-off-power-supply/

maximus otter
An easy way to avoid this is to just unplug your smart meter, surely?

Or just go 'off grid' for all your power needs.
Get a generator.
Use oil for heating.
Bottled gas for cooking.
It's not too difficult. Takes a little bit of setting up and an initial cost but once done it's just a matter of having a delivery once every few weeks/months.
There is a house within the grounds of a park I walk in that has done it. The owner said the only slight annoyance is the sound of the generator working (it does make a bit of noise but it's not loud TBH) but they are going to change to a 'whisper quiet' one soon.
The difficult one is water, although I expect a system could be set-up to collect rainwater and filter it, and recycle waste water too.

maximus otter
Held to ransom by energy companies. Who saw this coming?
Oh right, those conspiracy theory people did.

Or just go 'off grid' for all your power needs.
Get a generator.
Use oil for heating.
Bottled gas for cooking.
It's not too difficult. Takes a little bit of setting up and an initial cost but once done it's just a matter of having a delivery once every few weeks/months.
There is a house within the grounds of a park I walk in that has done it. The owner said the only slight annoyance is the sound of the generator working (it does make a bit of noise but it's not loud TBH) but they are going to change to a 'whisper quiet' one soon.
The difficult one is water, although I expect a system could be set-up to collect rainwater and filter it, and recycle waste water too.
You make the assumption that fuel, oil and gas will be allowed.
In some states in the US, it's illegal to collect rainwater.

Back