• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

Here is our future, as planned by a group of academics sponsored by the UK government. (Strange formatting due to me cutting & pasting from a .PDF document. The first proposals apply to 2020-2029; the second to 2030-2049.)

"UK FIRES is a research programme sponsored by the UK Government, aiming to support a 20% cut in the UK’s true emissions by 2050 by placing Resource Efficiency at the heart of the UK’s Future Industrial Strategy.

Authors: Allwood, J.M. a , Dunant, C.F. a , Lupton, R.C. b , Cleaver, C.J. a , Serrenho, A.C.H. a , Azevedo, J.M.C. a , Horton, P.M. a , Clare, C. c , Low, H. e , Horrocks, I. e , Murray, J. c , Lin, J. f , Cullen, J.M. a , Ward, M. d, Salamati, M. d, Felin, T. e , Ibell, T. b , Zho, W. f , Hawkins, W b . a University of Cambridge university of Bath university of Nottingham university of Strathclyde university of Oxford Imperial College. DOI: 10.17863/CAM.46075

Copyright ©2019 University of Cambridge

2020-2029 2030-2049

Development of petrol/diesel engines ends; Any new vehicle introduced from now on must be compatible with Absolute Zero All new vehicles electric, average size of cars reduces to ~1000kg.

Growth in domestic and international rail as substitute for flights and low-occupancy car travel Further growth with expanded network and all electric trains; rail becomes dominant mode for freight as shipping declines

All airports except Heathrow, Glasgow and Belfast close with transfers by rail. All remaining airports close.

There are currently no freight ships operating without emissions, so shipping must contract. All shipping declines to zero.

Food: National consumption of beef and lamb drops by 50%, along with reduction in frozen ready meals and air-freighted food imports. Beef and lamb phased out, along with all imports not transported by train; fertiliser use greatly reduced."

Page Six of: http://www.ukfires.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Absolute-Zero-online.pdf

maximus otter

Well at least not using them means their 'carbon footprint' is kept smaller.

Here is our future, as planned by a group of academics sponsored by the UK government. (Strange formatting due to me cutting & pasting from a .PDF document. The first proposals apply to 2020-2029; the second to 2030-2049.)

"UK FIRES is a research programme sponsored by the UK Government, aiming to support a 20% cut in the UK’s true emissions by 2050 by placing Resource Efficiency at the heart of the UK’s Future Industrial Strategy.

Authors: Allwood, J.M. a , Dunant, C.F. a , Lupton, R.C. b , Cleaver, C.J. a , Serrenho, A.C.H. a , Azevedo, J.M.C. a , Horton, P.M. a , Clare, C. c , Low, H. e , Horrocks, I. e , Murray, J. c , Lin, J. f , Cullen, J.M. a , Ward, M. d, Salamati, M. d, Felin, T. e , Ibell, T. b , Zho, W. f , Hawkins, W b . a University of Cambridge university of Bath university of Nottingham university of Strathclyde university of Oxford Imperial College. DOI: 10.17863/CAM.46075

Copyright ©2019 University of Cambridge

2020-2029 2030-2049

Development of petrol/diesel engines ends
; Any new vehicle introduced from now on must be compatible with Absolute Zero All new vehicles electric, average size of cars reduces to ~1000kg.

Growth in domestic and international rail as substitute for flights and low-occupancy car travel Further growth with expanded network and all electric trains; rail becomes dominant mode for freight as shipping declines

All airports except Heathrow, Glasgow and Belfast close with transfers by rail. All remaining airports close.

There are currently no freight ships operating without emissions, so shipping must contract. All shipping declines to zero.

Food: National consumption of beef and lamb drops by 50%, along with reduction in frozen ready meals and air-freighted food imports. Beef and lamb phased out, along with all imports not transported by train; fertiliser use greatly reduced."

Page Six of: http://www.ukfires.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Absolute-Zero-online.pdf

maximus otter
That is a dark future they have planned for us.
'All shipping declines to zero' means the death of international trade. This is not feasible, because the UK depends on food imports to feed a rapidly-growing population. The only outcome from that scenario would be mass starvation.

Look at what is happening in the Netherlands right now. To meet nitrogen targets, the government has decided to clamp down on farming. This is stupid, because the Netherlands is the biggest exporter of food in Western Europe. Cut back on farming and you cut down the economy to a much smaller size. Somebody will suffer from that, and it's not just the farmers.

Stupidity!

"Because Picnic doesn’t have stores, the company is able to deliver fresher and cheaper products than traditional supermarkets. The deliveries are always free, the vehicles are 100% electric, and the friendly runners aim to bring back the milkman-style service from days gone by. "

I wonder if one of their vans has conflagrated?

https://netherlands.postsen.com/new...line-supermarket-building-in-Almelo--NOW.html

Weather ‘too hot’ for solar panels

The weather was too hot for solar panels on Tuesday as soaring temperatures reduced their efficiency.

As the heatwave pushed the mercury above 40C for the first time ever in Britain, solar output remained well below the levels usually reached at peak times in spring.

Modelling data from the University of Sheffield suggests that solar energy provided an average 2.8 gigawatts of power on Tuesday.

Meanwhile in spring, when the weather is cooler and generation peaks, it typically accounts for 3.3 gigawatts...

Paywalled: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/07/19/weather-hot-solar-panels/

Quoted in: http://gaa.curwensvillealliance.org...business/2022/07/19/weather-hot-solar-panels/

maximus otter

TLDR - did the panels become less able to produce their output through something to do with the way they are constructed and the materials used, or is it because of how the atmosphere is different when it's hot?

TLDR - did the panels become less able to produce their output through something to do with the way they are constructed and the materials used, or is it because of how the atmosphere is different when it's hot?
If the diodes in such an array were reverse current biased, then the reverse current increases with temperature, which will decrease the output related to incident light (I think). In any event, it's true to say solar cells get less efficient as their temperature rises.

It might be that the conversion electronics becomes less efficient with heat as well, but it's more likely that they were not engineered for the extremes of temperature that are, statistically speaking, a certainty somewhere, to save money.

(One of the constant battles us electronics folk have, is with imposed costs impacting performance/reliability/safety.)

Last edited:
If the diodes in such an array were reverse current biased, then the reverse current increases with temperature, which will decrease the output related to incident light (I think). In any event, it's true to say solar cells get less efficient as their temperature rises.

It might be that the conversion electronics becomes less efficient with heat as well, but it's more likely that they were not engineered for the extreme of temperature that are, statistically speaking, a certainty somewhere, to save money.

(One of the constant battles us electronics folk have, is with imposed costs impacting performance/reliability/safety.)
Israel has been using these babies for years;
https://metaefficient.com/uncategorized/90-of-israel-homes-have-solar-water-heaters.html

Solar water heating is great - I looked into installation in the UK, my plan was to heat the hot water tank and/or raise the temperature of the central heating, but in the end, I could not make it cost effective even doing a good bit of it myself (that is I'd never get my money back). If installed when the house is built, it's probably one of the most useful 'renewable' thingies.

"...I heard the impressively well–nourished [German] federal minister of economics and technology boast that his conservative government would “march at the forefront to solve the mega–issue of climate protection—other nations can just follow!” He itemized the eco–Anschluss on stolid fingers: German wind farms in the North Sea; German hydropower plants in the Balkans; German windmills in Romania; German solar thermal projects in Spain; a vast half–trillion–dollar complex of solar turbines in the Sahara that will surge gigawatts to whole swaths of Europe. The goal of a carbon–free economy by mid–century may be, as one local enviro put it to me, das Blaue vom Himmel—“a hopeful blue sky”—but when the minister uttered the phrase “to rescue the world,” it sounded like he meant it."

— Marc Barasch, “How Green is My Berlin,” in the September 2010 issue of Condé Nast’s Traveler

German cities impose cold showers and turn off lights amid Russian gas crisis

"Cities in Germany are switching off spotlights on public monuments, turning off fountains, and imposing cold showers on municipal swimming pools and sports halls, as the country races to reduce its energy consumption in the face of a looming Russian gas crisis.

Hanover in north-west Germany on Wednesday became the first large city to announce energy-saving measures, including turning off hot water in the showers and bathrooms of city-run buildings and leisure centres.

Municipal buildings in the Lower Saxony state capital will only be heated from 1 October to 31 March, at no more than 20C (68F) room temperature, and ban the use of mobile air conditioning units and fan heaters. Nurseries, schools, care homes and hospitals are to be exempt from the saving measures.

“The situation is unpredictable,” said the city’s mayaor, Belit Onay, of the Green party. “Every kilowatt hour counts, and protecting critical infrastructure has to be a priority.” "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...n-off-fountains-in-face-of-russian-gas-crisis

maximus otter

The report, which was, in addition to Chancel, authored by Thomas Piketty, Emmanuel Saez, and Gabriel Zucman, also found that wealth inequality had a strong correlation to carbon emissions and climate change goals. The poorest half of the population in rich countries is already at (or near) the 2030 climate targets in terms of emission rates, but that’s not the case for the top 50%.

Rationing by price, the bottom half cant afford to pollute, the top half carries on as normal
wile telling everyone else they have to do more.
:omr:

The report, which was, in addition to Chancel, authored by Thomas Piketty, Emmanuel Saez, and Gabriel Zucman, also found that wealth inequality had a strong correlation to carbon emissions and climate change goals. The poorest half of the population in rich countries is already at (or near) the 2030 climate targets in terms of emission rates, but that’s not the case for the top 50%.

Rationing by price, the bottom half cant afford to pollute, the top half carries on as normal
wile telling everyone else they have to do more.
:omr:
There’s an awful lot of green off setting by the rich. I’ll have my private jet etc and pay for off setting and let someone else worry about it.

"Germany’s green energy transition from carbon fuels and nuclear energy to renewables has “failed”, a state Prime Minister has declared.

Germany’s green energy transition efforts to see the country move from using fossil fuels and nuclear energy and toward green renewables have “failed”, the Prime Minister of German Federal state Saxony has declared, before demanding the country’s government to rethink its abandonment of nuclear to avert disaster.

Having gotten itself addicted to Russian gas exports, Germany had for a long time held on to the belief that pushing its green agenda harder would solve its energy problems, and that the country would be able to shut down all of its nuclear power stations without issue.

According to a report by Handelsblatt, however, as the country faces the possibility of gas shortages and blackouts over the winter months, Saxony Prime Minister Michael Kretschmer has labelled the government’s green transition a failure, and is now demanding that the country’s remaining nuclear power stations stay online.

“The energy transition with gas as the base load has failed,” he reportedly said, with the publication noting that — even before the current gas crisis — green energy struggled to supply sufficient power in the country last winter."

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...-declares-green-energy-transition-has-failed/

maximus otter

Weather ‘too hot’ for solar panels

The weather was too hot for solar panels on Tuesday as soaring temperatures reduced their efficiency.

As the heatwave pushed the mercury above 40C for the first time ever in Britain, solar output remained well below the levels usually reached at peak times in spring.

Modelling data from the University of Sheffield suggests that solar energy provided an average 2.8 gigawatts of power on Tuesday.

Meanwhile in spring, when the weather is cooler and generation peaks, it typically accounts for 3.3 gigawatts...

Paywalled: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/07/19/weather-hot-solar-panels/

Quoted in: http://gaa.curwensvillealliance.org...business/2022/07/19/weather-hot-solar-panels/

maximus otter
Does that mean there is a flaw (material-wise) in the Solar Energy panels themselves - that they can't take advantage of the extra solar energy they can receive?

Does that mean there is a flaw (material-wise) in the Solar Energy panels themselves - that they can't take advantage of the extra solar energy they can receive?

It might be that the conversion electronics becomes less efficient with heat as well, but it's more likely that they were not engineered for the extremes of temperature that are, statistically speaking, a certainty somewhere, to save money.

Reactions: Sid
"Germany’s green energy transition from carbon fuels and nuclear energy to renewables has “failed”, a state Prime Minister has declared.

Germany’s green energy transition efforts to see the country move from using fossil fuels and nuclear energy and toward green renewables have “failed”, the Prime Minister of German Federal state Saxony has declared, before demanding the country’s government to rethink its abandonment of nuclear to avert disaster.

Having gotten itself addicted to Russian gas exports, Germany had for a long time held on to the belief that pushing its green agenda harder would solve its energy problems, and that the country would be able to shut down all of its nuclear power stations without issue.

According to a report by Handelsblatt, however, as the country faces the possibility of gas shortages and blackouts over the winter months, Saxony Prime Minister Michael Kretschmer has labelled the government’s green transition a failure, and is now demanding that the country’s remaining nuclear power stations stay online.

“The energy transition with gas as the base load has failed,” he reportedly said, with the publication noting that — even before the current gas crisis — green energy struggled to supply sufficient power in the country last winter."

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...-declares-green-energy-transition-has-failed/

maximus otter
The pfennig has finally dropped then.

'All shipping declines to zero' means the death of international trade. This is not feasible, because the UK depends on food imports to feed a rapidly-growing population. The only outcome from that scenario would be mass starvation.

Look at what is happening in the Netherlands right now. To meet nitrogen targets, the government has decided to clamp down on farming. This is stupid, because the Netherlands is the biggest exporter of food in Western Europe. Cut back on farming and you cut down the economy to a much smaller size. Somebody will suffer from that, and it's not just the farmers.

Stupidity!
I understood the population was in, or at the start of, a slow decline?

C28B1CB9-EAB7-4AA8-8E7D-77664371BF83.jpeg

Also, if it is going round at the time....does that make it 'carbon neutral'?

Stupidity!
I've read more than a few articles recently about lab grown meat and foods made from crickets and bugs. Put two and two together........

The clamp down on farming isn't only happening in the Netherlands. It's happening in other countries as well. From memory, Italy and Canada. There were other countries mentioned. Strange there is no mention of this in the media.

And people say there is no global agenda?

With regards importing food, so much land is there in the uk available for crops. When I first lived in Brighton over 30 years ago so much land on the South Downs was used for growing crops. Not any more. One of my favourite Sunday walks was along a path part of which ran between fields of crops for several miles. Now those fields lie fallow and have done for a good few years.

Last edited:
I understood the population was in, or at the start of, a slow decline?
The indigenous population in wealthy countries is declining, because of multiple factors. One of which is that people aren't making babies.
So, there seems to be a move by TPTB to import as many people from abroad as possible, without a thought about where to put them or how to feed them. Britain's population is growing, not falling. I believe it's the same in the Netherlands.

One thing leads to another ... Problems arising from past attempts to protect the environment undermine current prospects for protecting the current environment.

This North Carolina seaside city's beaches are eroding away. They can no longer replenish their beaches' sand using federal funds because they can no longer take sand from a protected area. The Army Corps of Engineers stepped in to locate a source of sand offshore. The source area they found is riddled with hundreds of thousands of tires that drifted away from artificial reefs constructed decades ago. It will be ever more costly to harvest the seabed sand because of the tires, and the tires themselves represent a chemically toxic threat to the marine ecosystems they were sunk to help protect.
Wrightsville Beach renourishment project uncovers hundreds of thousands of tires in the ocean

The shrinking shoreline at Wrightsville Beach is in desperate need of sand.

“We can't get our ocean rescue vehicles from point A to point B in some places, because there's just not enough beach,” Mayor Darryl Mills said.

Rebuilding that usually happens every three years is behind schedule. Officials said they have faced numerous challenges since the beach was last filled with fresh sand in 2018.

Wrightsville Beach has sourced its sand from nearby Masonboro Inlet since the 1960s, but a new interpretation of the Coastal Barrier Resources Act (CBRA), dictates that no federal dollars can be used to move sand from a CBRA-protected zone (Masonboro Inlet) to a non-CBRA zone (Wrightsville Beach). Wrightsville Beach's renourishment is 100% federally-funded, according to local records. ...

The CBRA restrictions pushed the Army Corps of Engineers, tasked with planning and executing the beach fill-in project, to seek a “borrow source” offshore, making the project much a more expensive and time-intensive endeavor.

After officials tasked with filling in Wrightsville's eroding beach were pushed offshore to source sand, they made a daunting discovery: Hundreds of thousands of tires that likely migrated from an artificial reef created by the Division of Marine Fisheries decades ago.

After finding an area with beach-compatible sand, the Army Corps uncovered an estimated 300,000 tires in the sand bed. Those tires appear to have drifted from an artificial reef created by the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality’s Division of Marine Fisheries, the agency tasked with protecting the state’s marine and estuarine resources. ...

The Division of Marine Fisheries (DMF) said it placed more than 600,000 tires off the North Carolina coast in the 1970s and early 1980s, but said it discontinued the practice in 1983. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.wral.com/wrightsville-b...-of-thousands-of-tires-in-the-ocean/20400638/

Back