• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

It's like the water companies in the UK. If it rains a lot, do the bare legal minimum to repair the leaks. If there's a drought, declare a hosepipe ban or as they did during the summer of 76, introduce stand pipes. It's a win win situation for the directors and share holders.
Government sets the leakage and sewage targets, water companies actually meet them the vast majority of the time. You've gotta lobby your MP about it :)

Let's avoid going down the forbidden path of political discourse.

Environmental activists have apologised after protesters left rubbish in a field near an oil terminal.

Just Stop Oil members have been demonstrating at the Kingsbury Oil depot in Warwickshire on and off for months.

Farmer Charles Goadby discovered the litter close to a tunnel near the site and shared a video online demanding an explanation for the mess, branding it "complete hypocrisy".

The group has promised to remove the rubbish, which includes chairs, sleeping bags and plastic bottles, over the coming days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles...9BA-11ED-A3CB-C48796E8478F&at_custom2=twitter

Video at link:

https://order-order.com/2022/09/21/...logise-for-dumping-plastic-waste-on-farmland/

maximus otter

This is a province in my country of Canada. It was filmed 3 days ago and I think it has gone viral.

The Video Everyone is Talking About from New Brunswick, Canada​

These guys caught men dumping poison into a fresh water lake. The poison was only halfway dumped when they were caught and yet the fish were dropping dead. The video is just short of 20 minutes long and the guys videoing say there were approximately 50 dead fish already and it had only been minutes since the poison was deposited. The people dumping the poison had armed RCMP guarding them. Luckily, the guy filming knew one of the RCMP officers personally and told him that it was too late to do anything about it because there are tons of people on there way and the video is already going viral. The cop was told to arrest the guy filming but he didn't want to wrestle with him in the poison water, so he said he would arrest him later.

This is a province in my country of Canada. It was filmed 3 days ago and I think it has gone viral.

The Video Everyone is Talking About from New Brunswick, Canada​

These guys caught men dumping poison into a fresh water lake. The poison was only halfway dumped when they were caught and yet the fish were dropping dead. The video is just short of 20 minutes long and the guys videoing say there were approximately 50 dead fish already and it had only been minutes since the poison was deposited. The people dumping the poison had armed RCMP guarding them. Luckily, the guy filming knew one of the RCMP officers personally and told him that it was too late to do anything about it because there are tons of people on there way and the video is already going viral. The cop was told to arrest the guy filming but he didn't want to wrestle with him in the poison water, so he said he would arrest him later.
Is there any further information on what they were dumping and what company was doing the dumping? I can’t see any information on the YouTube comments.

With the natural resources needed in society, create a shortage and pump out the fear factor based on 'green' issues, then put the prices up based on the created shortage.
They've been doing that with oil for years.

Is there any further information on what they were dumping and what company was doing the dumping? I can’t see any information on the YouTube comments.

The shock video(s) making the rounds at Reddit and elsewhere spin the scene as some sort of secret conspiratorial operation to poison the waters for everyone. That's bullshit ...

The chemical being put in the water is the pesticide Rotenone. It is being used to kill invasive smallmouth bass in the Miramichi watershed area of New Brunswick. The invasive smallmouth bass are a direct threat to the area's native salmon and trout.

This eradication campaign hasn't been a secret. It was proposed, supported, and challenged by area residents. Courts ruled, and challengers relented, to allow the campaign to go forward during the September timeframe in which it needed to be done to be effective this year.

Here are some representative news items illustrating the most recent course of events:

New Brunswick group to proceed with plan to eradicate invasive fish from Miramichi watershed
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...proceed-with-plan-to-eradicate-invasive-fish/

New Brunswick cottagers withdraw legal bid to stop eradication of smallmouth bass
https://globalnews.ca/news/9069516/nb-smallmouth-bass-legal-bid-withdrawn/

Fish-eradication project in Miramichi has begun, opponents say
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/miramichi-lake-rotenone-1.6547150

First phase complete in eradication of smallmouth bass from Miramichi waters: group
https://globalnews.ca/news/9123651/first-phase-eradication-of-smallmouth-bass-miramichi-waters/

The shock video(s) making the rounds at Reddit and elsewhere spin the scene as some sort of secret conspiratorial operation to poison the waters for everyone. That's bullshit ...

The chemical being put in the water is the pesticide Rotenone. It is being used to kill invasive smallmouth bass in the Miramichi watershed area of New Brunswick. The invasive smallmouth bass are a direct threat to the area's native salmon and trout.

This eradication campaign hasn't been a secret. It was proposed, supported, and challenged by area residents. Courts ruled, and challengers relented, to allow the campaign to go forward during the September timeframe in which it needed to be done to be effective this year.

Here are some representative news items illustrating the most recent course of events:

New Brunswick group to proceed with plan to eradicate invasive fish from Miramichi watershed
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...proceed-with-plan-to-eradicate-invasive-fish/

New Brunswick cottagers withdraw legal bid to stop eradication of smallmouth bass
https://globalnews.ca/news/9069516/nb-smallmouth-bass-legal-bid-withdrawn/

Fish-eradication project in Miramichi has begun, opponents say
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/miramichi-lake-rotenone-1.6547150

First phase complete in eradication of smallmouth bass from Miramichi waters: group
https://globalnews.ca/news/9123651/first-phase-eradication-of-smallmouth-bass-miramichi-waters/
Thanks for that. Although the chemical doesn’t appear very discriminatory regarding what fish it kills and more than likely other animals. If the bass are affecting the local salmon and trout then it’s probably being done more for economical reasons than ecological reasons.

The priority seems to be eradicating the invasive bass at all costs. This isn't the first time this has been done. I saw a mention of a similar rotenone campaign undertaken in Manitoba.

The priority seems to be eradicating the invasive bass at all costs. This isn't the first time this has been done. I saw a mention of a similar rotenone campaign undertaken in Manitoba.

I still reckon that all of those missing people have been dissolved in fluoridated water.

Environmental activists have apologised after protesters left rubbish in a field near an oil terminal.

Just Stop Oil members have been demonstrating at the Kingsbury Oil depot in Warwickshire on and off for months.

Farmer Charles Goadby discovered the litter close to a tunnel near the site and shared a video online demanding an explanation for the mess, branding it "complete hypocrisy".

The group has promised to remove the rubbish, which includes chairs, sleeping bags and plastic bottles, over the coming days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles...9BA-11ED-A3CB-C48796E8478F&at_custom2=twitter

Video at link:

https://order-order.com/2022/09/21/...logise-for-dumping-plastic-waste-on-farmland/

maximus otter
I was listening to a spokesman for the group taking on a radio program about this while I was inside a customers house.

He said that the stuff that was left behind came about because they were arrested and then barred from going back to the site otherwise it would have all been cleared up at the time.

He didn't say anything about the hedge but there again, he wasn't asked about it.

Similar activities have taken place in the UK to eradicate top-mouthed gudgeon, lake drained, native fish removed and inspected (the tmg can get inside the mouths of larger fish) remaining and fauna water poisoned.

Well it’s all going well at Tesla then.

Tesla ordered to recall more than a million US cars​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-62996103

Windows closing too fast doesn’t seem a major fault & a software update will fix the problem.

Company documents indicate vehicles made after 13 September already have the updated software needed to remedy the issue.
Tesla said it was not aware of any warranty claims, crashes, injuries, or deaths related to the recall.

I just walked passed an AA guy sorting out someone’s hybrid. I am slightly concerned about the warning sign the AA had put out saying no smoking, naked flames, etc. Is this normal? If so is it just hybrids or electric too? Or is it just something they’ve started doing? I would have thought a petrol car that wasn’t well is pretty flammable too.

I just walked passed an AA guy sorting out someone’s hybrid. I am slightly concerned about the warning sign the AA had put out saying no smoking, naked flames, etc. Is this normal? If so is it just hybrids or electric too? Or is it just something they’ve started doing? I would have thought a petrol car that wasn’t well is pretty flammable too.
Maybe that particular car had a fuel leak?

EV charge points in Britain are now nearly as expensive as gasoline, research shows

Electric car drivers in the U.K. have seen the cost of using a public, “rapid” charger on a pay-as-you-go tariff rise by 42% since May, according to data released Monday.

Figures from RAC Charge Watch — which is part of the RAC, a motoring organization — show that it now costs EV drivers using the above infrastructure an average of 63.29 pence (72 cents) a kilowatt hour to charge their vehicle.

Breaking the figures down, the RAC said this meant an 80% rapid charge of a “typical family-sized electric car” using a 64 kWh battery cost, on average, £32.41 (around $34.87).

The analysis also showed that “a driver exclusively using a rapid or ultra-rapid charger on the public network will now pay around 18p per mile for electricity,” the RAC said.

“This compares to 19p per mile for a petrol [gasoline] car and 21p per mile for a diesel one
, based on someone driving at an average of 40 miles to the gallon.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/27/ev-drivers-in-britain-see-jump-in-public-charging-cost-.html

maximus otter

Last edited:

Electric car drivers in the U.K. have seen the cost of using a public, “rapid” charger on a pay-as-you-go tariff rise by 42% since May, according to data released Monday.

Happening even sooner then.

(I thought I had already covered the below previously, but I appear to have kept those comments to another forum.)

This is in addition to the fact that, once you take into account various subsidies for EV ownership, and the extra 'fuel duty' that is put on pumped fuels, EV ownership would be more expensive than 'regular' engine vehicles.
I still can't figure out how it is that people don't seem to be cottoning on yet.
'The Powers That Be' don't want the general public to realise that any electric we use, for any purpose, needs to be created somewhere else, usually by burning cheap stuff, and then transported expensively via cables to where it needs to be used.
There are many points in that process where 'loss' occurs, and profit is added on.
(And successive governments of all sides, in all countries, appear to be going along with the 'green energy' idea and throwing money at the companies that build wind and solar, seemingly blind to the fact that these things are useless when the wind doesn't blow and/or the sun doesn't shine, so we still need an equal amount of immediately available power generation from some other source.)

So people are being kept stupid about the fact that it's cheaper to just burn cheap stuff ourself, in our engine, rather than to pay someone else to burn the cheap stuff (or build wind farms or solar), and then expensively/wastefully transport the electric to us.
Plus the fact that we need to be able to store that electricity in expensive batteries, instead of just pouring cheap stuff into a tank.
One day, years from now, we'll look back on the lunacy and laugh.

As mentioned elsewhere....................
1664369593318.png

There are many points in that process where 'loss' occurs, and profit is added on.
Everywhere, there is energy lost, known colloquially as 'transmission loss' and is the resistive loss incurred in any system that transmits electricity. It's a function of current(squared) and resistance (I x I x R) and the energy is lost as heat.

One of the ironies of a base-load grid system is, that if the voltage drops (say 10%), transmission loss increases (22%)...

...so having to continually adjust base-load to keep grid output power level, by dealing with suddenly fluctuating renewables, uses up even more of the grid capacity than one might think.

As mentioned elsewhere....................
View attachment 59349
Someone I know bought an electric car recently and left it in the railway carpark when they went up to London for the day. When they left it it had 147 miles range on the battery but that evening when they got back in the range had dropped to 126 miles! I wonder what it would be like if you left it for a week in an airport carpark?

Wind Turbine Blades Can’t Be Recycled, So They’re Piling Up in Landfills

Aging blades as big as 747 wing-span and designed to withstand a hurricane are proving difficult (expensive) to cut up, transport, crush and recycle.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...be-recycled-so-they-re-piling-up-in-landfills
What do you think they mean when they say, the blades are landfill safe?

I was watching something on youtube this morning regarding the destruction process of old aircraft. It didn't look environmentally friendly.

Someone I know bought an electric car recently and left it in the railway carpark when they went up to London for the day. When they left it it had 147 miles range on the battery but that evening when they got back in the range had dropped to 126 miles! I wonder what it would be like if you left it for a week in an airport carpark?

Do they have plug ins for electric cars at airport carparks yet?

Back