• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

The standalone electric powered oil filled radiators (similar size and shape as those 'convector' jobbies) are very good for leaving on to warm a room constantly.
Like these.
best rads
I prefer the look of those sort and contemplated getting one a while ago. As you say it depends whether you want instant heat, like with a halogen, or a more slower, long term arrangement.

Stephen Fry, June 2022: “But the fact is, reasonable people, I think, understand that something has to be done about fossil fuels – most of all about our insatiable appetite for them.”

Stephen Fry, December 2022:

A Year On Planet Earth filming locations: Where was the Stephen Fry documentary filmed?

Iceland, Svalbard, Marion Island, Trinidad, Kenya, Kalahari desert...

Other filming locations

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/20624553/a-year-on-planet-earth-filming-locations/

maximus otter

Stephen Fry, June 2022: “But the fact is, reasonable people, I think, understand that something has to be done about fossil fuels – most of all about our insatiable appetite for them.”

Stephen Fry, December 2022:

A Year On Planet Earth filming locations: Where was the Stephen Fry documentary filmed?

Iceland, Svalbard, Marion Island, Trinidad, Kenya, Kalahari desert...

Other filming locations

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/20624553/a-year-on-planet-earth-filming-locations/

maximus otter
No fossil fuels burned in getting to those locations. Honest, guv.

As of 1.30pm today, only 8.8% of power usage in the UK was covered by 'green' energy.
(The 'pie chart' here slightly misrepresents the amount as our UK usage is propped up by transfers from other countries which are not shown.)
1670853602839.png

Watching channel four news last night, they mentioned how Drax is bringing online two coal fired power stations as there isn't enough power being produced now. A ceo bod came on and was asked about power cuts. He said that we are nowhere near that yet, but the presenter kept pushing him, wanting him to say that things were all 'doom and gloom'. She tried a few times, but the guy just kept saying that it is very unlikely that we will ever reach that stage.

I'm suprised at channel four. You expect it from the BBC, but not them.

Watching channel four news last night, they mentioned how Drax is bringing online two coal fired power stations as there isn't enough power being produced now. A ceo bod came on and was asked about power cuts. He said that we are nowhere near that yet, but the presenter kept pushing him, wanting him to say that things were all 'doom and gloom'. She tried a few times, but the guy just kept saying that it is very unlikely that we will ever reach that stage.

I'm suprised at channel four. You expect it from the BBC, but not them.
The media isn’t happy unless they are spreading doom and gloom.

Channel four news has gone downhill.
Can’t agree with you there. It’s about the best news prog on mainstream channels. Much more in-depth & you’ll find news stories on it you won’t find elsewhere.

However, this has nothing whatsoever to do with being ‘Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised’.

Should really be in the 'Whinge' thread.

Last edited:
Can’t agree with you there. It’s about the best news prog on mainstream channels. Much more in-depth & you’ll find news stories on it you won’t find elsewhere.

However, this has nothing whatsoever to do with being ‘Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised’.

Should really be in the 'Whinge' thread.
Still is the best I'd say.

And wouldn't you call the re-starting of two coal powered stations as 'environmental hypocrisy' considering how much we keep hearing about zero emisions etc?

To me though, it suggests that we'll never manage without fossil fuels, certainly not for a very long time.

I'll gladly fuck my post off into the whinge thread though if it will make you happy.

Still is the best I'd say.

And wouldn't you call the re-starting of two coal powered stations as 'environmental hypocrisy' considering how much we keep hearing about zero emisions etc?

To me though, it suggests that we'll never manage without fossil fuels, certainly not for a very long time.
Maybe - I never mentioned coal. My post was just disagreeing with your comment about Ch 4 news, not about whether it’s a good idea to re-start burning coal.

I can’t be bothered to argue the toss about coal. No one is going to change their opinion with some back & forth. Nor am I going to dispute that fossil fuel use is going anywhere soon - It clearly isn’t.

On the subject of coal, there was an interesting 2 parter on tv last week about the great London fug of 1953. You wouldn’t want to have been subjected to that. Several thousand died because of it.

On the subject of coal, there was an interesting 2 parter on tv last week about the great London fug of 1953. You wouldn’t want to have been subjected to that. Several thousand died because of it.
What's that got to do with anything?
The technology to make smokeless fuels (some using coal) has been around for many years. Since around 1642 in fact.

What's that got to do with anything?
The technology to make smokeless fuels (some using coal) has been around for many years. Since around 1642 in fact.
Clean-burn coal technology is now available for use in power stations. But that's not allowed, because the green lobby want us to stop using all fossil fuels completely.

Now now, where's all our love and peace?

(sorry been watching Reggie Perrin)

Speaking of coal, has anyone seen him lately?

I know that this is the wrong thread to ask and I don't want to upset anyone by posting in the wrong thread - heaven forbid - but hearing so much about 'coal' just made me think about @Coal.

Speaking of coal, has anyone seen him lately?

I know that this is the wrong thread to ask and I don't want to upset anyone by posting in the wrong thread - heaven forbid - but hearing so much about 'coal' just made me think about @Coal.
Maybe also make note of it in the 'people who haven't posted for ages' thread, or whatever it's called.
Or send up a smoke(less) signal.

We have a couple of oil-filled portable radiators which we put on periodically.
As far as the halogen heaters, we have one which is cheap to run but I find they heat only the immediate space. Great for sitting in front of but ...
I've unearthed our propane 'space heater', which is noisy but very fast heating. The layout of our flat means I can set it up in the hall, out of the way, then open the doors to our main rooms. Do a 15 minute burst, or whatever, should heat the rooms then we can close the doors to retain the warmth. I want to minimise it's use, though, as it creates a lot of moisture.

Update on my last post.
T'missus has bought a new halogen heater for her home office and it arrived just now.
It's a huge improvement on the first one we had and kicks out a load of radiant heat! Just ordered another one for my office/library. Then we can move 'em around depending on what area needs heating. :)

Update on my last post.
T'missus has bought a new halogen heater for her home office and it arrived just now.
It's a huge improvement on the first one we had and kicks out a load of radiant heat! Just ordered another one for my office/library. Then we can move 'em around depending on what area needs heating. :)
Can you post a make/model & does it heat a whole room?

A Daewoo 1200W halogen heater. It heats a whole room using all three bars, but the heat can be maintained by 1.

Out and about near Witney, Oxfordshire.

Big roadside posters protesting new proposed solar farm.

(Full article is behind the Telegraph paywall, but you get the idea from this extract).

At least 80 local authorities are failing to record whether trees planted to help climate change are surviving, despite them spending more than £11 million in council and central Government funds.
Others report survival rates well below expected, with some projects leaving no trees alive amid concern that planting schemes are being undertaken without adequate expertise.
Experts say a survival rate of 90-95% should be expected if tree-planting schemes are well planned and have adequate aftercare.
The high rates of failure, and lack of monitoring, among local authority schemes raise concerns that money is being wasted on rushed planting projects. Some local authorities said failed trees would be replaced, requiring additional resources and manpower.

The deaths of trees planted for carbon offsetting purposes also raises concerns that councils and businesses may be able to greenwash their pollution, by claiming to have offset their emissions with trees that do not survive.

The Government has pledged more than £9 million to plant hundreds of thousands of trees in communities across England, to help hit its targets of 30,000 hectares of new woodland annually across the UK by 2025.
But Andy Egan, the head of conservation policy for the Woodland Trust, which provides grant funding for council tree planting schemes, said local authorities often lacked the resources to look after newly planted trees.
“Too many local authorities lack the additional resources and capacity needed to look after newly planted trees and to help them survive conditions like the drought we had this summer,” he said. “Equally poor planning practice is putting many much-loved mature trees at risk.”
“The Woodland Trust is calling on Government to use its Environmental Improvement Plan to ensure the long-term investment that’s needed to protect and care for our urban trees is in place.”

(Michael De Whalley, a local councillor, at the scheme in King's Lynn where just 10 per cent of 6,500 trees were estimated to have survived)
1672653778473.png

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...councils-die-rush-job-show-green-credentials/

I too would like to say that seeing cyclists is a good idea.

Having seen so many who are NOT visible.

(Talked to my dodgy green friend yesterday; she told me that ALL of our electricity needs can be met by renewables...I kid you not.

Yes, maybe a hundred years ago?)
I'm 100% renewable domestically - But that is determined by a number of factors.

Hmmm. Certain activists won't be impressed by this recycling exercise.

An RAF jet has been successfully re-fuelled in mid-air with recycled cooking oil for the first time.

The Typhoon fighter, based at RAF Coningsby, in Lincolnshire, and a C-130 Hercules transport plane were fuelled with Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF).

SAF is made from "waste-based sustainable feedstocks, such as used cooking oil" blended with regular fuel. Defence Minister Baroness Goldie said it was a "key achievement" in the RAF's efforts to use more sustainable fuel.

Squadron Leader Gaz Evans, RAF supply project manager, said the latest trial had given them confidence in using blends of SAF in the future.

"The trial proved there is no detriment to performance as we strive towards reduced emissions targets," he said. "This was a first for both Typhoon and the Hercules and we believe that we are the first air force to conduct an air-to-air refuel operation with a SAF blend at this level."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-64250566

Back