• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not the UnCon: FTMB MegaMeet?

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Now that Doctor Sutton has broken the sad news.

What about an alternative, MegaMeet?

Anyone up for it? Anyone got any ideas?

What about taking over a youth hostel, somewhere, a weekend, sometime in the autumn, for example?

:)

I'd be up for it. One idea would be to do it late Summer; that way we could possibly hire a lecture theatre at a University whilst most of the students are on holiday.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
What about taking over a youth hostel, somewhere, a weekend, sometime in the autumn, for example?

I for one would love to recreate something like the Glastonbury weekend of a few years ago, getting close to nature and getting pissed, but throwing in a nice bit of Forteanism, perhaps a visit to a Place of Outstanding Fortean Interest.

Pietro_Mercurios said:

How about Edinburgh?

We could get somewhere to hold an event and there are lots of Fortean things around - we could even get soem past EdFort speakers to pitch in?

Gordon

I could be well up for this, if it gets organised, and I plan ahead.

I'm up for it, as long as convenient to me. However, I'd also support this idea for other Forteans.

Hey up, Stormy.

347px-Pipa_savinelli.jpg

lrg-traditional-mens-slipper.jpg

gordonrutter said:

How about Edinburgh?

We could get somewhere to hold an event and there are lots of Fortean things around - we could even get soem past EdFort speakers to pitch in?

Gordon
This sounds like a v.good idea, to me. The EdFort is already well organised, there are great places to visit in, or near Edinburgh (Mary King's Close, Rosslyn Chapel, etc.), Gordon and Min are already there and there's some pretty good Youth Hostel accommodation in the city that would be easier to book, after the Edinburgh Festival (5 - 27 August).

Obviously, I'm voting for early September as a date for the Meet, it's far enough ahead to give everybody time to prepare, the weather's usually pretty good (after the wet August and before the winter sets in) and all my kids would be back at school.

beakboo said:

I for one would love to recreate something like the Glastonbury weekend of a few years ago, getting close to nature and getting pissed, but throwing in a nice bit of Forteanism, perhaps a visit to a Place of Outstanding Fortean Interest.
Yeah! That was a good one!

Thanks, once again to John for making that one possible. :)

Don't know if it's relevant for anyone (but me) but the SPR conference is usually in September...

And Edinburgh sounds good to me as I can foist myself on pseudo-family

:p

Pietro_Mercurios said:
This sounds like a v.good idea, to me. The EdFort is already well organised, there are great places to visit in, or near Edinburgh (Mary King's Close, Rosslyn Chapel, etc.), Gordon and Min are already there and there's some pretty good Youth Hostel accommodation in the city that would be easier to book, after the Edinburgh Festival (5 - 27 August).

Obviously, I'm voting for early September as a date for the Meet, it's far enough ahead to give everybody time to prepare, the weather's usually pretty good (after the wet August and before the winter sets in) and all my kids would be back at school.
I guess we could put it to the Edforters and see what they think. :)

I'd be up for an Edinurgh one too , it's only half an hour away from me.

could be up for it... though a lot of my plans as far as that far ahead goes are pretty up in the air...

I would be interested in meeting up in Edinburgh, I've intended on going to Uncon for several years and never quite made it.

Edinburgh? I live in Cardiff, but I suspect September would give me bags of time to book a cheap flight.

I'll go if Beckjord is invited to speak. I'll even pay money.

Right, we are looking at sometime in September, not the first weekend as there is something else on. It would be a one day event in a pub venue, probably Saturday, so not starting too early! The Sunday would be free for sundry tourism/fortean investigating. People still interested?:)

Now, a tentative forlorn hope wish list, for the Saturday:

1. A spokesperson from the Koestler Parapsychology Unit at Edinburgh Uni.

2. J.K. Rowling.

3. Ian Rankin.

Obviously, we can't afford to pay any of these wished for guests, for appearing at our gathering and at least two of them probably don't need the publicity. Perhaps, there's some way we could charm them?

If we could just persuade H_James dad to come up and give a talk on oddities and antiquities of Scottish archæology, then we'd have a really first rate lecture. ;)

What? Not Iain M. Banks? Or even Iain Banks? (Depends on whether you want to ask him as a Science Fiction author, or a mainstream one. Or even a whisky drinker.)

I don't think I can make it. September is a bad time to try and fly to the UK, and I prefer more Wintery climes.

I wish you all luck.

re Koestler we know some of the peopel there and have had them at EdFort in the past so that should be ok. Iain Banks is currently doing soem event in Edinburgh organised by Waterstones and it costs £25 for a ticket!

We were thinking of charging a lot less for this!

Gordon

Is the thought of inviting Rankin so humorous? :(

He is a Thomas Pynchon fan, you know...

The Koestler people sound more promising, though. :)

You're going to charge? :shock:

Only joking... ;)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Is the thought of inviting Rankin so humorous? :(
He is a Thomas Pynchon fan, you know...
The Koestler people sound more promising, though. :)
You're going to charge? :shock:
Only joking... ;)

Nope Rankin not humorous at all - but just the cost / possibility of getting him and / or Rowling is pretty close to zero (mind if you don't ask you don't get...)

Fraid there will be a small charge to cover room hire and expenses - we have got a very small figure in mind but we'll confirm it later once we've worked out approx costs (we're thinking a tenner per head should cover everything).

Gordon

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Is the thought of inviting Rankin so humorous?
Maybe not, but the Banks thing was a joke. Just so you know.

Although, if you could get him, it would be cool.

gordonrutter said:

Fraid there will be a small charge to cover room hire and expenses - we have got a very small figure in mind but we'll confirm it later once we've worked out approx costs (we're thinking a tenner per head should cover everything).

Gordon
Sounds okay. :)

Back