Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
When I were a Lad, every Mother went out wi' covered yead...Tha' knowest?

I daresay it were unseemly t'otherwise...
There's something Yorkshire there, or at least Northen, and my mum (or should that be mam) was a lady who went with full make up and head scarf. She was Yorkshire; I'm Welsh/Oxfordhire and dress like a farmer, so things change!

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
That's the inherent issue with translations unfortunately: Remembrance of Things Past/In Search of Lost Time.
Oh, so very much this. Quiet Flows the Don? Sholokhov would have been surprised. As for The Don Flows Home to the Sea? A complete spun-from-whole-cloth fabrication to cover the fact that the first translation was not the whole story.

Somewhere out there is a full-length novel translated by, well, me. It deals with Gulag inmates and parasites, among other things, but sadly not VCRs. This did not stop me from pushing Zeks, Lice, and Video-tape as a candidate for the English-language title... The final title also bore little resemblance to the Russian original, but the author approved, so I guess that makes it ok.

Actually, Sholokhov is well overdue for a retranslation. That's a project for if I ever get chance to retire...

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
There's something Yorkshire there, or at least Northen, and my mum (or should that be mam) was a lady who went with full make up and head scarf. She was Yorkshire; I'm Welsh/Oxfordhire and dress like a farmer, so things change!
North Staffs (Potters), and Stockton on Tees Rerenny. As a child I listened to older people who still spoke potteries dialect that was deliberately strangled and savaged by 'em. (Cost kick a bo againt a wo an' then 'it it wi' thi yed till it bosses? )

At the age of 5 we moved north to Stockton and I listened to my Grandparents who spoke pit village Geordie...we then moved to Australia when I was eight, so I really don't have an idea where my verbiage comes from.

It ponders yer yed...

Timble2

Imaginary Person
Writing my final Christmas cards, the last to a friend from Altrincham (who isn't on social media). Checked facebook and found a friend request from someone in Altrincham, who doesn't appear to have any mutual friends with me, and from what I can see of their profile actually appears to be a real person....

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Ever have one of those days where you feel you're being held up?

Yesterday I set off across town in a hurry. At the end of the road, when I looked up I saw a plane trailing one of those announcement banners.
I didn't stop to try to read it, thinking nothing'd better make me late! but after I turned left a hearse was being walked out of the undertakers'. The funeral director walks in front of the hearse for a few hundred yards and locals are used to it, but nooo, not today! Today!

Eventually the hearse stopped and picked up the funeral director and off they went, and turned right into the cemetery. The traffic moved on for a minute and reached a broken-down car with a pickup truck in front of it and some harried-looking workmen trying to move it. Eventually I got past this and turned again, and the road was blocked by a skip truck which seemed in no hurry to collect any skips. Words were muttered.

Took a detour and arrived barely on time to do the thing I was up to. In fact I was jokingly told 'You're the last, we're closing now, so thank you for coming and kindly piss off!'

It all finished well.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Ever have one of those days where you feel you're being held up?

Yesterday I set off across town in a hurry. At the end of the road, when I looked up I saw a plane trailing one of those announcement banners.
I didn't stop to try to read it, thinking nothing'd better make me late! but after I turned left a hearse was being walked out of the undertakers'. The funeral director walks in front of the hearse for a few hundred yards and locals are used to it, but nooo, not today! Today!

Eventually the hearse stopped and picked up the funeral director and off they went, and turned right into the cemetery. The traffic moved on for a minute and reached a broken-down car with a pickup truck in front of it and some harried-looking workmen trying to move it. Eventually I got past this and turned again, and the road was blocked by a skip truck which seemed in no hurry to collect any skips. Words were muttered.

Took a detour and arrived barely on time to do the thing I was up to. In fact I was jokingly told 'You're the last, we're closing now, so thank you for coming and kindly piss off!'

It all finished well.
I'm going through one of those times where my usual ease in life has fucked off.

You know these simple actions that we do, like take the half empty bag of cucumbers out of the fridge - we just slide it out normally, don't we...well, unbeknownst to me ('cause I forgot), it is sitting on a plastic bowl with half a dozen eggs in it, which end up on the floor...and the broken eggs manage to roll under the fridge, on contact with the floor, which will facilitate moving the fridge to clean up the mess.

And I've got clumsy...I have lost my usual flair and elan.

I will go from a standard squat, looking at ants or something and I'll get half way up and stagger forward 3 or 4 paces because I've lost my balance, winding up knocking my head against a tree trunk that normally I would've put my hand up against, to end said ungainliness.

And tripping over the dogs...one of my dogs is the size of a small shetland pony - you would think that I'd be aware of that, wouldn't you. And they sleep on old chaff bags that I open up into sheets. The edges trail loops of thread/string which in the dark I step into and trip myself up with...almost cutting my little toe off in the process

And emptying a bowl of water from the sink - somehow I manage to slop dollops of it on four different areas of the floor before I get it outside...and when I go to clean it up with a towel, I manage to stand on the towel, causing, once again, one of those 4 step staggers into the wall...

Me...what once 'ad the finesse of a regular Nureyev

I'm putting it down to age.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Raked the front yard. It's so hot and dry here all of the trees are losing their leaves. Looking from the inside out, you'd think it was Autumn.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Raked the front yard. It's so hot and dry here all of the trees are losing their leaves. Looking from the inside out, you'd think it was Autumn.

True LL - it reduces transpiration - clever little sods, aren't they...
010.1.jpg

This is one of my lovely Kurrajong's - this one is in the chook run - leaves everywhere, and don't the chooks love it. And these trees are endemic to this area, so god knows how deciduous trees are getting on.

If they're smart, they'll do as you describe and aestivate.

michael59

Ephemeral Spectre
For the past 2 days I thought my micro wave oven was going to need replacing soon. It was making this awful noise every time I used it. This morning, at 2:30 am it was particularly noisy, probably because everyone is still sleeping. I was able to locate/pin point the noise. It was a small plastic coca cola bottle that had fallen behind the oven and was rolling back and forth with the air flow.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
True LL - it reduces transpiration - clever little sods, aren't they...
View attachment 21970
This is one of my lovely Kurrajong's - this one is in the chook run - leaves everywhere, and don't the chooks love it. And these trees are endemic to this area, so god knows how deciduous trees are getting on.

If they're smart, they'll do as you describe and aestivate.
I had to google 'chook'.