Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The TV news has been shouting a coming rubber shortage.

All things rubber will be short.

What rubber that is in the pipeline has no way to get to market.

So, if you need need new tires for your auto, buy your tires now.

China is buying up raw rubber, and a rubber tree takes seven years to produce rubber.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I really do have good peripheral vision. Just now I sat down to watch a spot of TV while I ate and kept seeing a light flashing to my left.
Techy has stood a ruler up on the cupboard at his end of the sofa and it's reflecting the TV. It's so far to the left it's nearly behind me but I can still see it. :cool:

This is normal of course but at my age that's positive! :wink2:

chrissho

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I really do have good peripheral vision. Just now I sat down to watch a spot of TV while I ate and kept seeing a light flashing to my left.
Techy has stood a ruler up on the cupboard at his end of the sofa and it's reflecting the TV. It's so far to the left it's nearly behind me but I can still see it. :cool:

This is normal of course but at my age that's positive! :wink2:
I thought it was going to be a political comment ( best avoided at all times)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The TV news has been shouting a coming rubber shortage.

All things rubber will be short.

What rubber that is in the pipeline has no way to get to market.

So, if you need need new tires for your auto, buy your tires now.

China is buying up raw rubber, and a rubber tree takes seven years to produce rubber.
I'm sure it will bounce back.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I learnt that all Australians are entitled to a free framed portrait of Her Majesty the Queen, just by emailing their local MP, so today that's what I did. We can also get flags and in some cases, flag poles too.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I learnt that all Australians are entitled to a free framed portrait of Her Majesty the Queen, just by emailing their local MP, so today that's what I did. We can also get flags and in some cases, flag poles too.
What are you going to do with it when you get it?.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
What are you going to do with it when you get it?.
Sit it in my office with all of my other odd, weird, collectible, useless & fun stuff.
I really emailed just on a whim to see if I actually receive one.
If it turns up, I may request a flagpole. Apparently we're entitled to one per address per year as well.
Here's the picture we receive, notice the sprig of wattle for a little Aussie flavour...

4EF1B70300000578-6041443-Australians_are_legally_entitled_to_receive_a_free_portrait_of_Q-a-4_...jpg

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Sit it in my office with all of my other odd, weird, collectible, useless & fun stuff.
If it turns up, I may request a flagpole. Apparently we're entitled to one per address per year as well.
Here's the picture we receive, notice the sprig of wattle for a little Aussie flavour...

View attachment 46855
I thought she would be holding a can of fosters :p

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I took the awful dog out to Cawthorne Roman camps for a walk, while it was raining. Because dog is SO awful and reactive, if there's anyone about I have to put her on the lead, so I was on the alert for anyone approaching. It was a great lesson in paradoleia, because I kept seeing faces and people EVERYWHERE. It took me a long time to realise that this tree in the picture was a tree with a mark on the trunk, and not a person standing watching me. My brain knew it wasn't a person, but my eyes kept trying to convince me it was. Or the other way around. Something like that.
treeperson.jpg

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score

View attachment 46855
Verging on the Dame Edna?

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm going through one of those times where my usual ease in life has fucked off.

You know these simple actions that we do, like take the half empty bag of cucumbers out of the fridge - we just slide it out normally, don't we...well, unbeknownst to me ('cause I forgot), it is sitting on a plastic bowl with half a dozen eggs in it, which end up on the floor...and the broken eggs manage to roll under the fridge, on contact with the floor, which will facilitate moving the fridge to clean up the mess.

And I've got clumsy...I have lost my usual flair and elan.

I will go from a standard squat, looking at ants or something and I'll get half way up and stagger forward 3 or 4 paces because I've lost my balance, winding up knocking my head against a tree trunk that normally I would've put my hand up against, to end said ungainliness.

And tripping over the dogs...one of my dogs is the size of a small shetland pony - you would think that I'd be aware of that, wouldn't you. And they sleep on old chaff bags that I open up into sheets. The edges trail loops of thread/string which in the dark I step into and trip myself up with...almost cutting my little toe off in the process

And emptying a bowl of water from the sink - somehow I manage to slop dollops of it on four different areas of the floor before I get it outside...and when I go to clean it up with a towel, I manage to stand on the towel, causing, once again, one of those 4 step staggers into the wall...

Me...what once 'ad the finesse of a regular Nureyev

I'm putting it down to age.
Ah, not just me then.

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score
Not very interesting things I did today: Thought of the things I really should do and decided to not do any of them. Made and ate breakfast. Read the forums.forteana. No that is interesting. Thought of the things I really should do and decided to not do any of them. Heard the birds outside. Thought of how fat the quails are in my neighborhood. Thought of the things I really should do and decided to not do any of them. etc.
Endlessly (Mrs. Dalloway) Amazed

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
I took the awful dog out to Cawthorne Roman camps for a walk, while it was raining. Because dog is SO awful and reactive, if there's anyone about I have to put her on the lead, so I was on the alert for anyone approaching. It was a great lesson in paradoleia, because I kept seeing faces and people EVERYWHERE. It took me a long time to realise that this tree in the picture was a tree with a mark on the trunk, and not a person standing watching me. My brain knew it wasn't a person, but my eyes kept trying to convince me it was. Or the other way around. Something like that.
View attachment 46864
We had a highly reactive dog (GG Wondermutt the Plott hound/Great Dane) who passed away a year ago at the age of twelve. Now we have a mostly sane dog (American Pit Bull Terrier/Lab mix) but she's lovably crazy in her own way :)

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score
We had a highly reactive dog (GG Wondermutt the Plott hound/Great Dane) who passed away a year ago at the age of twelve. Now we have a mostly sane dog (American Pit Bull Terrier/Lab mix) but she's lovably crazy in her own way :)

Your pooch sounds great!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Oh I utterly adore every hair on Dreadful Dog's whiskery face. Love her to bits. She's just very hard work and not very relaxing to be out with!

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
View attachment 46864
That's a really nice spooky landscape. Would fit on Hookland Twitter:
https://mobile.twitter.com/HooklandGuide

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
I went for a walk earlier, through a local park and back through a residential street about half a mile long.

I did not see one single animal the whole time I was out: no dogs being walked in the park, no cats looking out of windows, nothing.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I went for a walk earlier, through a local park and back through a residential street about half a mile long.

I did not see one single animal the whole time I was out: no dogs being walked in the park, no cats looking out of windows, nothing.
No birds?

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
No birds?
Not that I remember seeing. I was reading an apple in the park and threw the core into some trees for birds/squirrels to eat, but didn't see either of them around.

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
Oh I utterly adore every hair on Dreadful Dog's whiskery face. Love her to bits. She's just very hard work and not very relaxing to be out with!
GG was the same way! He loved people but was very particular around other dogs, especially ones that were taller than him. I think we were his third home. He had to wear head collar which prompted a lot of "Why is your dog wearing a MUZZLE!?" Layla is a dream compared to our GG experience LOL.