Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Odd: From local evidence, our park creatures must prefer McDonalds and cheap lager.

maximus otter
Well, at least the dirty b******s are sitting down I suppose. It's these that eat and drink while walking that I don't get. How do you enjoy a meal that way?

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You want to knock that on the'ead. I swear I'm cross-eyed after 20 minutes of it.
Agreed 100%. I've noticed it for a good while now. I just wanted to quickly look at something on here, so I used my phone (instead of firing up the old steam- driven desktop). Of course 5 minutes turned into hours. I then put the tv on to try and find the Grand Prix highlights (which weren't on until midnight as it turned out), and it's very noticeable when I try to read the 'info' bit, or subtitles on the tv or even typing on here now. It also makes me feel tired and groggy for a good while too.
I turned the brighness on the phone down ages ago to see if it helps. Maybe more modern phones are better, but it makes me wonder if we're going to have a world of people with bad eyesight in the future.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Agreed 100%. I've noticed it for a good while now. I just wanted to quickly look at something on here, so I used my phone (instead of firing up the old steam- driven desktop). Of course 5 minutes turned into hours. I then put the tv on to try and find the Grand Prix highlights (which weren't on until midnight as it turned out), and it's very noticeable when I try to read the 'info' bit, or subtitles on the tv or even typing on here now. It also makes me feel tired and groggy for a good while too.
I turned the brighness on the phone down ages ago to see if it helps. Maybe more modern phones are better, but it makes me wonder if we're going to have a world of people with bad eyesight in the future.
Having the phone as bright as possible helps me. I don't spend time on it though, apart from sneakily reading on the Kindle app at work.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A friend tried to teach me “ cribbage “.

I have never heard of cribbage, but I gave it a try.

I think I understood the game after two hours.

But there is too much math, and adding and subtracting gave me a headache.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

My ex taught our four kids to play cribbage from an early age and they grew up with awesome mental arithmetic skills.

His family played cards a lot. Cribbage (or 'Crib') is a fast game. I gave my father in law a solid brass cribbage pegboard for them all to use together, saving those vital couple of seconds it took to write the score.

My maths wasn't brilliant but it soon improved with cribbage. My family played rummy, secretively in case my father caught us.

You may have taken it too seriously! Practice is key. :wink2:

ETA - When my older son joined the Army he taught his fellow squaddies to play Crib. I like to think it improved their experience.

Last edited:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Swept the floor, vacuumed the carpets, washed the bathroom floor.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score

Best played when there are other people in the room who have absolutely no idea of the scoring system.
One of the few games where I can consistently out-play the computer.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Wrote about something not very interesting that happened yesterday and found today that the post has been Mod-napped to a quite interesting thread.

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
I had my pupils dilated for the first time ever. Can't see crap right now but I got an updated contact lens prescription, and will be getting bifocals in two weeks (also a first).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've had a headache for 3 days now
That doesn't sound good. Have you had advice about it?

We are not always the best judge of our condition.
A mate of mine had a headache for nearly a week and sort of got used to it until someone dragged her to the doctor, and it was meningitis. o_O

See a doctor!

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
That doesn't sound good. Have you had advice about it?

We are not always the best judge of our condition.
A mate of mine had a headache for nearly a week and sort of got used to it until someone dragged her to the doctor, and it was meningitis. o_O

See a doctor!
I'm pretty sure it was a mild migraine, I've suffered with migraines for years but they usually develop, this one just stayed as an annoying headache.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was a mild migraine, I've suffered with migraines for years but they usually develop, this one just stayed as an annoying headache.
All the more reason to get advice! :wink2:

Lots of people ignore symptoms because they think they know their own body best. This is not always the case: things can creep up on you.

I am happy to admit having done this myself and ended up in hospital being treated for things that could have killed me, and I am not feeble.

Your doctor will be delighted to check you over and find you're right and it's a migraine or a bit of neck strain or whatever.

Edit: is your nose running too?

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
All the more reason to get advice! :wink2:

Lots of people ignore symptoms because they think they know their own body best. This is not always the case: things can creep up on you.

I am happy to admit having done this myself and ended up in hospital being treated for things that could have killed me, and I am not feeble.

Your doctor will be delighted to check you over and find you're right and it's a migraine or a bit of neck strain or whatever.

Edit: is your nose running too?
No, it was just a dull aching head, like the start of a migraine

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
No, it was just a dull aching head, like the start of a migraine
While I'm still not 'appy, it's your 'ead! :wink2:

I used to have migraines too, going through all the types and combinations of symptoms over the years.
These days I get a bit of blindness or the zig-zag.

I always know what it is but I get the feeling that you're not sure about your current headache.