Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
While I'm still not 'appy, it's your 'ead! :wink2:

I used to have migraines too, going through all the types and combinations of symptoms over the years.
These days I get a bit of blindness or the zig-zag.

I always know what it is but I get the feeling that you're not sure about your current headache.
Its subsided now so I'm not that concerned, if it comes back I will phone the GP :)

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
While I'm still not 'appy, it's your 'ead! :wink2:

I used to have migraines too, going through all the types and combinations of symptoms over the years.
These days I get a bit of blindness or the zig-zag.

I always know what it is but I get the feeling that you're not sure about your current headache.

While I've never had an actual migraine (that I know of, but other types of headaches, yes) I have had those zig zags.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
While I've never had an actual migraine (that I know of, but other types of headaches, yes) I have had those zig zags.
The zig-zags are a sure sign of migraine. You can get the zig-zags without any symptoms or with others.

I was astounded when I Googled migraine sight disturbances.

It was like they KNEW! :chuckle:

Impybat

this space for rent
Reaction score
The zig-zags are a sure sign of migraine. You can get the zig-zags without any symptoms or with others.

I was astounded when I Googled migraine sight disturbances.

It was like they KNEW! :chuckle:

As I recall there's even a thread we've both commented on about ocular migraines! I describe how I got one at work and they tried to send me home. So far I've been fortunate since the visual disturbances weren't accompanied by pain or the headache was mild compared to ones that I always recognize as being hormonal. But the zig zags are bad enough!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
As I recall there's even a thread we've both commented on about ocular migraines! I describe how I got one at work and they tried to send me home. So far I've been fortunate since the visual disturbances weren't accompanied by pain or the headache was mild compared to ones that I always recognize as being hormonal. But the zig zags are bad enough!
Yup, we might revisit those posts. :wink2:

My full-blown migraines were so bad, not least because of the inconvenience when I had a family to look after, that these days I'm happy with the zig-zags and partial blindness. Trivial.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
I was referred to a Consultant Neurologist 5 years ago. Her advice was that if you're ever asked by a GP if you've suffered from migraine before, say 'I don't know, I'm not a Consultant Neurologist'

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yup, we might revisit those posts. :wink2:

My full-blown migraines were so bad, not least because of the inconvenience when I had a family to look after, that these days I'm happy with the zig-zags and partial blindness. Trivial.
'Cluster headaches'. Had them. Bloomin horrible. They are more in/above your eye than actual head, usually over the same one and can last for months. Luckily I haven't had one for a good while now.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Is the public being taken for a ride by a false sense of a shortage panic ?

Examples

Mail Christmas packages early or they will be sitting in a warehouse

Buy your Christmas toys now because they can not unload the cargo ships

There will be a shortage of Christmas trees

There will be no electronics and cell phones because there are no chips

Will there be enough turkeys and hams

The price of new and used cars will be sky high because there are no chips

Is any of this really true ?

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Is the public being taken for a ride by a false sense of a shortage panic ?

Examples

Mail Christmas packages early or they will be sitting in a warehouse

Buy your Christmas toys now because they can not unload the cargo ships

There will be a shortage of Christmas trees

There will be no electronics and cell phones because there are no chips

Will there be enough turkeys and hams

The price of new and used cars will be sky high because there are no chips

Is any of this really true ?
When I hear this CB, I just think about the Y2K fiasco...and carry on regardless.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I forgot about the crazy Y2K.

The world was supposed to come to a standstill, but seemed was fixed by the computers reading a complete year like instead 01 it would be 2001.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I forgot about the crazy Y2K.

The world was supposed to come to a standstill, but seemed was fixed by the computers reading a complete year like instead 01 it would be 2001.
I've been in the computer business since the 1980s, and I only had one device that was affected by the Y2K bug.
That was a Microwriter Agenda, which I had barely used. As it went irretrievably wrong and I couldn't reset it, I just threw it away.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Today, dog and I went for a five miler in the absolute TORRENTIAL rain. It was so miserable that my sleeves - normal length when I went out - nearly reached my knees by the time we got back.

One hour later - blazing sunshine. I'm annoyed, I'll tell you that.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Had a small parcel delivered to the wrong address yesterday, as I was going to the postbox anyway I just shoved it in to be redelivered (we get the wrong mail all the time and this is standard practice in the village).

Somebody knocked on the door today, asking for the misdelivered parcel. Turns out it was delivered by Yodel not the Post Office, so I have no idea what will happen to it now.

Whoops.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Had a small parcel delivered to the wrong address yesterday, as I was going to the postbox anyway I just shoved it in to be redelivered (we get the wrong mail all the time and this is standard practice in the village).

Somebody knocked on the door today, asking for the misdelivered parcel. Turns out it was delivered by Yodel not the Post Office, so I have no idea what will happen to it now.

Whoops.
They can go to the local sorting office, perhaps?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
He didn't seem too bothered to be honest, he said he had no idea what it was anyway!
Maybe it was a random 'brushing' scam?
If he got it, it might turn out to be seeds for Japanese knotweed.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
I've been in the computer business since the 1980s, and I only had one device that was affected by the Y2K bug.
That was a Microwriter Agenda, which I had barely used. As it went irretrievably wrong and I couldn't reset it, I just threw it away.
I have to tell you we found a y2k bug when testing IMS which oddly, meant it died horribly on 2nd Jan 2000 not 1st. Got it fixed, glad we tested. Point was nobody had a clue what would happen in 2000 so cue lots of panic and lots of nice money for consultancies so plus ca change really

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Walk into the big box stores ( Walmart, Target, etc. ) and it is Christmas merchandise everywhere.

When I was a child a long time ago, no one put out Christmas items until after American’s Thanksgiving.

There was no crazy “ Black Friday “ the day after Thanksgiving.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Walk into the big box stores ( Walmart, Target, etc. ) and it is Christmas merchandise everywhere.

When I was a child a long time ago, no one put out Christmas items until after American’s Thanksgiving.

There was no crazy “ Black Friday “ the day after Thanksgiving.
A few years ago I went into a big UK supermarket on the 27th of December, and they were setting up a display for Easter eggs.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In the Appalachian Mountain areas lives the Isabella Tiger Moth and maybe in other areas too.

Folklore in the Appalachian Mountains tells that this moth’s larvae predicts the coming winter.

This larvae has a thick woolly coat that can be different colors and stripes which also gives the larvae the name “ woolly bear “.

The lighter the woolly hair, the milder the winter.

Since black woolly bears have been seen ( the worst color ), we are having a bad winter.

This goes against the La Niña mild weather that the weather service has predicted.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Sit it in my office with all of my other odd, weird, collectible, useless & fun stuff.
I really emailed just on a whim to see if I actually receive one.
If it turns up, I may request a flagpole. Apparently we're entitled to one per address per year as well.
Here's the picture we receive, notice the sprig of wattle for a little Aussie flavour...

View attachment 46855
Update: It arrived just over a week ago. It is the very same portrait in the image above and is still in it's canister in my office. I also received a friendly note from my local Member of Parliament.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Update: It arrived just over a week ago. It is the very same portrait in the image above and is still in it's canister in my office. I also received a friendly note from my local Member of Parliament.
Why can't we get sent one in the UK

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Saw a poster on the train for Pantoland at the Palladium - if you were wondering what Donny Osmond, Julian Cleary, Nigel Havers and Gary Wilmot were up to these days.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
There was a glorious moment at about 9.30 am when it looked like the building might be closed because of access issues (there is a broken stair blocking our way up the main staircase, and the lift was buggered again), but they decided not to bother. Much sadness.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Saw a poster on the train for Pantoland at the Palladium - if you were wondering what Donny Osmond, Julian Cleary, Nigel Havers and Gary Wilmot were up to these days.
I was! Cheers BB.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
There was a glorious moment at about 9.30 am when it looked like the building might be closed because of access issues (there is a broken stair blocking our way up the main staircase, and the lift was buggered again), but they decided not to bother. Much sadness.
Sarcasm, much?