Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Had to go to the emergency treatment centre earlier and they were filming 'Grace' there, the Peter James TV adaptation.

Sorry that was almost interesting.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was a mild migraine, I've suffered with migraines for years but they usually develop, this one just stayed as an annoying headache.
I occasionally have mild migraines. They cause just enough confusion that I don't realize I'm having one until my wife notices the symptoms.

Edit: is your nose running too?
If it is, and your feet smell, you're upsidedown. :)

I forgot about the crazy Y2K.

The world was supposed to come to a standstill, but seemed was fixed by the computers reading a complete year like instead 01 it would be 2001.
I don't know how bad the threat of y2k was, but it's hard to say if the panic was totally unwarranted, since people did look for and fix problems in time. Some concerns, like the one that said traffic signals would go haywire, were stupid.

kesavaross

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Had to go to the emergency treatment centre earlier and they were filming 'Grace' there, the Peter James TV adaptation.

Sorry that was almost interesting.
That's odd. A last week they were filming along the sea front something to do with a Peter James book where I live in Brighton. I asked a security guard what was going on as I couldn't park where I wanted and that's the reason he gave.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
That's odd. A last week they were filming along the sea front something to do with a Peter James book where I live in Brighton. I asked a security guard what was going on as I couldn't park where I wanted and that's the reason he gave.
Must be the same crew, I was in Lewes. I might have spoken to the same guard!

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The CDC warned Americans today that handling turkeys before cooking is very dangerous.

Almost all Americans give their uncooked turkeys a wash down before putting the bird in the pan.

The CDC claims this spreads salmonella everywhere in the kitchen.

The CDC says don’t wash the bird before cooking, and this applies to other poultry products.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The CDC warned Americans today that handling turkeys before cooking is very dangerous.

Almost all Americans give their uncooked turkeys a wash down before putting the bird in the pan.

The CDC claims this spreads salmonella everywhere in the kitchen.

The CDC says don’t wash the bird before cooking, and this applies to other poultry products.
Brits get that advice too. It's also printed on fresh and frozen chicken wrappers.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Brits get that advice too. It's also printed on fresh and frozen chicken wrappers.
Yes. I never did this even when they kept banging on about it, saying you'll die if you don't wash it before cooking. I thought that surely cooking it for an hour and a half at 180c would kill any bacteria. Was not ill once in years of eating chicken. Then they started to say "DON'T wash it before cooking- you'll die if you do".

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well Floyd1,

Our immediate family will not eat Turkey, but maybe an occasional MacDonalds chicken McNugget.

We are into beef, ham, or pasta.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Lord Lucan, a new mattress is so important to be comfortable since you sleep one-third of your life.

It is the same as having comfortable underwear next to your body !
Indeed. There is a Northern Irish saying about buying a good bed and good shoes because those are the things you use most!

Tunn11

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Yes. I never did this even when they kept banging on about it, saying you'll die if you don't wash it before cooking. I thought that surely cooking it for an hour and a half at 180c would kill any bacteria. Was not ill once in years of eating chicken. Then they started to say "DON'T wash it before cooking- you'll die if you do".
Of course you'll die if you do. Or if you don't. The question will be is that what killed you? :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The problem with washing raw meat, especially poultry, is that any bacteria or whatever already on it can be spread around your sink and kitchen to further infect hands and food. Cooking the meat won't stop this.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The problem with washing raw meat, especially poultry, is that any bacteria or whatever already on it can be spread around your sink and kitchen to further infect hands and food. Cooking the meat won't stop this.
Yes. Which is exactly what I thought a few years ago, when they started to say you should wash it first. Ridiculous.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Of course you'll die if you do. Or if you don't. The question will be is that what killed you? :)
It would much more likely be from; stress, annoying neighbours, poverty, alcohol, drunk drivers, Trevp's bad jokes, processed food, the cold, damp climate, lead water pipes, reality TV.........

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
Yes. Which is exactly what I thought a few years ago, when they started to say you should wash it first. Ridiculous.
Washing meat before use made me remember a few years ago watching a news report on some folks who had made a shedload of money selling condemned chicken meat back to supermarket suppliers. There was film of a trailer full of plucked chickens being dumped in a muddy yard, then hosed down, then being wrapped in plastic and sent on their merry way to an unsuspecting public. Just bleurgh. Lucky I’m vegetarian.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Washing meat before use made me remember a few years ago watching a news report on some folks who had made a shedload of money selling condemned chicken meat back to supermarket suppliers. There was film of a trailer full of plucked chickens being dumped in a muddy yard, then hosed down, then being wrapped in plastic and sent on their merry way to an unsuspecting public. Just bleurgh. Lucky I’m vegetarian.
Nice! - When I first decided to stop eating meat and poultry- (I'd stopped eating pork many years before), I really thought I wouldn't be able to do it, especially regarding chicken as we used to have one at least once a week- a whole one. In all that time, I was never once ill from not washing it although that was the recommended advice at the time.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
Nice! - When I first decided to stop eating meat and poultry- (I'd stopped eating pork many years before), I really thought I wouldn't be able to do it, especially regarding chicken as we used to have one at least once a week- a whole one. In all that time, I was never once ill from not washing it although that was the recommended advice at the time.
Just shows what a load of ****** some food hygiene advice is. I don’t miss chicken at all. I bought a chicken sarnie from Pret by accident a few years ago and wondered why my mozzarella was so dry and tasteless

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In the U.S. all food sold is U.S. Department of Agriculture inspected.

We just went through a huge recall of onions from Mexico, and romaine from California.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have been reading an article that even though many theories. no one can explain where Earth’s water came from.

When the Earth first formed, it was a very hot mess, and there was no water.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I have been reading an article that even though many theories. no one can explain where Earth’s water came from.

When the Earth first formed, it was a very hot mess, and there was no water.
A lot of it arrived as ice from space. Most of it was locked up in the rocks and was released over millions or billions of years by volcanic action and chemical reactions. Yes, it does seem pretty unique.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
A lot of it arrived as ice from space. Most of it was locked up in the rocks and was released over millions or billions of years by volcanic action and chemical reactions. Yes, it does seem pretty unique.
This was a question my Dad asked me when I got into Science: where does the water come from ? Is it generated through some hydro-genesis process and if so, is the process still running ?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This was a question my Dad asked me when I got into Science: where does the water come from ? Is it generated through some hydro-genesis process and if so, is the process still running ?
I guess it is still running, as volcanic activity is still very much alive. A lot of what comes out of a volcano when it erupts is super-heated steam. This is from far below, unlocked from rocks that contain the elements.
Look at Mars. It once had oceans, but they all dried up when volcanic activity on the planet ceased. That water mostly boiled away into space.

kesavaross

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
A few years ago a customer of mine caught salmonella from handling an uncooked chicken in his kitchen. He was seriously ill for nearly a year and was in and out of hospital. When at home his wife said said she would wake up each morning expecting to find him dead. He said he didn't know how he survived. I saw him a few times whilst sick and that saying 'death warmed up'...... It then took him a further 18 odd months to fully recover.

Until then I never realised just how serious salmonella can be.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A few years ago a customer of mine caught salmonella from handling an uncooked chicken in his kitchen. He was seriously ill for nearly a year and was in and out of hospital. When at home his wife said said she would wake up each morning expecting to find him dead. He said he didn't know how he survived. I saw him a few times whilst sick and that saying 'death warmed up'...... It then took him a further 18 odd months to fully recover.

Until then I never realised just how serious salmonella can be.
Well I suppose if it's already contaminated there's not much you can do, but the only time I've been ill (whether it was samonella or not) is when someone else has prepared the food, ie a dodgy back-street in Cairo.

After unwrapping the chicken, I used to put it in a bowl, rub it in oil and whatever seasoning I'm using, (I've even shoved a beer can up there. 'Beer can chicken' is great by the way), then put it in a pan, washed my hands, then cooked it. Don't even need a thermometer- just cook until the juices run clear.
One thing you must remember though; don't lick the chicken before it's been cooked.

kesavaross

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Well I suppose if it's already contaminated there's not much you can do, but the only time I've been ill (whether it was samonella or not) is when someone else has prepared the food, ie a dodgy back-street in Cairo.

After unwrapping the chicken, I used to put it in a bowl, rub it in oil and whatever seasoning I'm using, (I've even shoved a beer can up there. 'Beer can chicken' is great by the way), then put it in a pan, washed my hands, then cooked it. Don't even need a thermometer- just cook until the juices run clear.
One thing you must remember though; don't lick the chicken before it's been cooked.
I've never licked a chicken as I'm a very long time veggie anyway. Shoving a beer can up there though? Sounds a bit kinky to me.

I think this bloke was just unfortunate. His wife called an ambulance the next day and when salmonella was diagnosed 'they', whoever 'they' are, sent a team to his house and swabbed the whole kitchen and found traces on work surfaces, door handles, etc. He couldn't have washed his hands.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think this bloke was just unfortunate. His wife called an ambulance the next day and when salmonella was diagnosed 'they', whoever 'they' are, sent a team to his house and swabbed the whole kitchen and found traces on work surfaces, door handles, etc. He couldn't have washed his hands.
Yes, sounds like it.

Actually, to be fair, when I was ill in Egypt, it was probably more likely from the salads (or the water they were washed in) than any meat/poultry.

I once saw turning racks of chickens being cooked with the raw ones on the top rack above the cooked ones. I never ate from that place, but by all accounts it had been going for years and no one was ever ill from eating there (this was in a tourist area).

I am pescatarian nowadays, but we used to have a full chicken at least twice a week.