Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Under invisible siege: about eight people I know and teach have (actual, proper) flu.
Oh no, have you had the jab? Mine was at Tesco I think, back in October. Techy keeps saying he'll go too but never gets round to it. I've told him, don't come running to me when you're so ill you can't even stand up.

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
asda were selling off broccoli for 1p each. Went over board and now I have so much broccoli rice. Oh and I built a desk, so, yeah, pretty boring day

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We saw a driver park his car up, not in a space but directly behind other vehicles, while he nipped to the cash machine. A van then backed into his car and more or less took the side off.
The car driver said to me, as I walked past, 'I can't believe you just let that van back into the car and didn't even tell him to stop!'

Er, yeah, YOU parked YOUR car incorrectly and a van driver decided to back into it but it must be all my fault, sorry.

Last edited:

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Er, yeah, YOU parked YOUR car incorrect
Three things appear to empower certain drivers to be all-powerful, and entitle them to abandon their cars anywhere they damn-well like. These are:
  • Getting money from an ATM/cashline machine ('well, it's security, innit?')
  • Delivering their children to school ('well, it's safety, innit?')
  • Buying cigarettes/fag papers/drink from convenience stores ('well, it's convenient, innit?')
These utterly-selfish people should all be drowned / shot / marooned, and are one of the key reasons why I think abortion should be legal up to 4,000 weeks following conception. The corrollary being, if they are antisocial thoughtless gits in these contexts, they almost-certainly will be, in all others.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Three things appear to empower certain drivers to be all-powerful, and entitle them to abandon their cars anywhere they damn-well like. These are:
  • Getting money from an ATM/cashline machine ('well, it's security, innit?')
  • Delivering their children to school ('well, it's safety, innit?')
  • Buying cigarettes/fag papers/drink from convenience stores ('well, it's convenient, innit?')
These utterly-selfish people should all be drowned / shot / marooned, and are one of the key reasons why I think abortion should be legal up to 4,000 weeks following conception. The corrollary being, if they are antisocial thoughtless gits in these contexts, they almost-certainly will be, in all others.
I dunno, it made fine entertainment. When we'd finished in the shop we saw the two drivers sorting out addresses etc. As it happened off the road and they were each 50% to blame for the damage good luck to them with their insurance companies!

Techy noticed the car driver taking a photo of my car, presumably to involve us as witnesses. He can get lost.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I was at Craigmillar castle this morning, you would think castle builders would have thought less about defendable doorways and more about modern visitors banging their poor baldy nut. Twice.
:evillaugh:

I have personally heard Americans complaining that the floor of the Colosseum in Rome was uneven and hard to walk on.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I was a lion back then, plenty of Christians to eat.
There's recently been discussion of an idea to re-open the Colosseum for some sort of modern gladiatorial event. Certain religious factions aren't happy about it. Long memories of lions and such, y'know. Bring it on, I say!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I drank tea with sugar today for the first time in almost twenty years. I spontaneously decided to plop a lump of brown when presented with a bowl of sugar on a tray. It was fine, but I formed the idea that I wouldn't want to drink too much more than a cup full.

INT21

Antediluvian
'got a taste for brown sugar, gonna leave white sugar alone'.

INt21

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Miss Yith was insistent that she wanted 'Daddy's food' for dinner this evening.

We acquiesced (cooking her regular choice as insurance) and served her half a bowl of tuna and vegetable curry, all of which she ate before declaring it 'good' and starting on her usual meal as well. When I hear of parents who have trouble getting little kids to eat, I can't help but laugh--we have difficulty getting her not to eat all the time.

It was only very slightly spicy but fairly strong-tasting. I'm not sure it's typical fare for a three-year-old.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Miss Yith was insistent that she wanted 'Daddy's food' for dinner this evening.

We acquiesced (cooking her regular choice as insurance) and served her half a bowl of tuna and vegetable curry, all of which she ate before declaring it 'good' and starting on her usual meal as well. When I hear of parents who have trouble getting little kids to eat, I can't help but laugh--we have difficulty getting her not to eat all the time.

It was only very slightly spicy but fairly strong-tasting. I'm not sure it's typical fare for a three-year-old.

Something similar Yith.

Faith, our oldest, went missing while we were milking - said she was going to play in her bedroom. We returned to the house to find her in front of an open fridge eating pickled gerkhins - she'd eaten so many that her little lips were white from the brine.

No discomfort was observed...or change in bowel habits

Miss Faith, who was also known as fadi, short for fah de lah do, was also three at the time. At thirty nine, wor Faith still shows an unusual palate.

I like the cut of Miss Yiths jib, Yithian.