Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
went to tilbury fort for a ghost hunt tonight, as we are driving down the road that leads to the fort in my friends BMW, we go over a cattle grid. i then hear a wwwsssttttt noise from outside , and cheerfully joke that my friend has a flat Tyre.

We pull up right outside the fort, i start on my dinner, my friend gets out, examines his car and comes back with a worried look on his face, saying it looks like water is leaking from the car, but not from the radiator, what do i think? i replied i have no idea about cars at all, but i would rather go home now then risk the leakage leading to us being stuck in tilbury at 1am, or even worse a sudden seizure on the m25 at night. He agrees and we head home, thankfully without incident.

He now thinks it may have been the air conditioning, but i think it was still the right choice to go home, their are old ghost hunters and bold ghost hunters, but no old bold ghost hunters.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
went to tilbury fort for a ghost hunt tonight, as we are driving down the road that leads to the fort in my friends BMW, we go over a cattle grid. i then hear a wwwsssttttt noise from outside , and cheerfully joke that my friend has a flat Tyre.

We pull up right outside the fort, i start on my dinner, my friend gets out, examines his car and comes back with a worried look on his face, saying it looks like water is leaking from the car, but not from the radiator, what do i think? i replied i have no idea about cars at all, but i would rather go home now then risk the leakage leading to us being stuck in tilbury at 1am, or even worse a sudden seizure on the m25 at night. He agrees and we head home, thankfully without incident.

He now thinks it may have been the air conditioning, but i think it was still the right choice to go home, their are old ghost hunters and bold ghost hunters, but no old bold ghost hunters.
Was that the cattle grid next to the pub? Wonder why they have that?

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
There's recently been discussion of an idea to re-open the Colosseum for some sort of modern gladiatorial event. Certain religious factions aren't happy about it. Long memories of lions and such, y'know. Bring it on, I say!
What would be even better, if the Gladiators were criminals. The catch is that they only get their freedom after 500-1000 battles.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
i suspect its some sort of essex boy control system, tilbury is ROUGH. my friend said it reminded him of his childhood in widnes, i said it reminded me of a very rough Glasgow housing estate.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
To me Mytho, it sounds like the road to the fort is on private or trust land and the grid is the start of the property. There are main roads in WA where the property is so big that the main highway goes through it and the entry to a property is always heralded by those bloody cattle grids.

The reason that I write disparagingly of cattle bloody grids is due to the impact before and after...sometimes there can be potholes that resemble wombat holes on either side - usually compounded by the wet.

One of these mongrel things caused me to bottom out a holden (vauxhall) astra, which caused the rear main engine seal to distort, which allowed lots of oil to leak out, causing me to pay a lot of money to get it fixed - bloody cattle grids...

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Sheep in our area have learned to roll over the grids.

Mungoman,

The idea is to slow down when you cross a grid.

There again, you did buy GM.......

INT21
Roll over eh? I'd like to see that, and yeah, slow down is right but you don't expect it on a national highway...and a holden IS the only road car for Australian conditions.

Ford?

PPPFFFFFFF!!!

That's like saying the best bike on the road is a HD.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Mungoman,

..That's like saying the best bike on the road is a HD..

I would have suggested a BMW.

As for the grids, I sympathise.

There is a round-a-bout on our local bypass that has about a hundred yards of those yellow 'slow down you loony, roundabout ahead' bumps leading into it.

They used to be fairly innocuous.

But I came along the road a few nights ago at my usual speed, ready for the bumps.

They had re-done them.

The vibration was horrific. I thought it was going to shake off the exhaust system.

In a way I was lucky as I was supposed to be bring back from hospital a relation who had just
had an operation on a lung. But his release had been put off for a day. The shaking could have killed him.

The goons who lay these thing probably never drive over them.

INT21

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Day off, Techy doing a morning at work, sunshine, whoopee! So I decided to cut the front hedges.

Grabbed all the tools, made a start, and the electric clipper packed up. Tried the usual stuff - plugging in/out, different sockets, resetting the extension - nothing. I dragged the manual clipper out of the shed and attacked it all with that instead.

Did it all, swept up the clippings, binned everything, was just finishing up when Techy rolled up. He immediately saw the problem - loose wiring - and rewired the clipper.

At least it's done, for now.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Saturday is a fine day for unclogging the shower drain.
Did our kitchen drain last week - the outdoor outlet from the sink/dishwasher that can turn into a small fatberg if not regularly cleaned. Smells great when it's 30C! At least this time I didn't need the sulphuric acid (which works but really can't be good for the environment), just a hose, hot water and a 'scraper/scoop'.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Vardoger,

..There's a moment of magic when you see the water flows as it should be...

Definitely better than that moment when you realise, having just flushed a 'fully loaded' toilet that the water level isn't going down, it's rising.

INT21

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score
As it's summer I bought a reduced (in price) quiche Lorraine for a light lunch, forgetting that I don't like it.

(I quite like the proper frog ones with lardons but hate the soggy smoked bacon that dominates the flavour of the English supermarket versions.)

I'm aware that sounds a bit poncey.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
As it's summer I bought a reduced (in price) quiche Lorraine for a light lunch, forgetting that I don't like it.

(I quite like the proper frog ones with lardons but hate the soggy smoked bacon that dominates the flavour of the English supermarket versions.)

I'm aware that sounds a bit poncey.

Nah...not poncey at all - I can't stand the bacon they sell us here. They use maple syrup in the curing process, and I wish they wouldn't, plus, the majority of Australian bacon is a manufactured article with meats from more than one country making up the finished product, and whenever I ask about it They say - dunno.

I buy speck now, rather than bacon. Fuck 'em. (pardon me)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Nah...not poncey at all - I can't stand the bacon they sell us here. They use maple syrup in the curing process, and I wish they wouldn't, plus, the majority of Australian bacon is a manufactured article with meats from more than one country making up the finished product, and whenever I ask about it They say - dunno.

I buy speck now, rather than bacon. Fuck 'em. (pardon me)
There was a TV programme about seaside landladies a few years ago which featured an establishment famous for both good value and minor luxury, all on the basis of providing breakfast bacon cut slightly thicker than that of local rivals!