Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

James_H

And I like to roam the land
My bandmate signed us up to a kind of artist development program. We have to attend or lose a deposit. First up: a seven-hour seminar on sound engineering. In Chinese.
It's finally over. And so ends the boringest day of my life. They really could have told us all the information in one hour.

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
I've got a 1 hour gig tonight that will take up 15 hours of my day. It's 6 hours drive there, 2 hour set-up, 1 hour gig and then 6 hours back again. So I guess I'll see you all tomorrow.

Edit: Had to actually check that I'd spelled hour correctly as the more I looked at it, the more incorrect it looked.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I've got a 1 hour gig tonight that will take up 15 hours of my day. It's 6 hours drive there, 2 hour set-up, 1 hour gig and then 6 hours back again. So I guess I'll see you all tomorrow.

Edit: Had to actually check that I'd spelled hour correctly as the more I looked at it, the more incorrect it looked.
Knock ‘em dead. Then channel their spirits.

maximus otter

titch

Justified & Ancient
Work was considering getting us a little truck to putt putt putt around in, but my boss is so HUGE and FAT he couldn't fit behind the wheel

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
I rode to the local hospital in the rain for a scan on my knee - I have a Baker's cyst, which is what I expected...

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
l’ve just realised that it’s been over 72 hours since l last drank alcohol. l should soon be entering Father Jack territory:

(Excuse the video quality).

maximus otter
Ah, the unending genius of Father Ted. Always a great way to start the day! Thanks, Mr Otter.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
So today I'm going through my emails and I notice I have an unread email from a week ago that I somehow missed at the time.

It is from someone I've never heard of with a very distinctive name. Let's call her Pandora Musclestein.

I wont quote the email since it is full of swear words and would probably violate forum policy. Suffice to say it is extremely hateful and offensive.

I google her name and I find a couple of people on forums saying they have received exactly the same email.

I also find a little blog she runs which reveals what American state she lives in.

I've had a very stressful month and I can't be having with this. I'm not just going to go on some forum and whinge. I'm actually going to do something about this.

I reply to Pandora Musclestein. I tell her I have no idea how she found out my email address or why she is sending me hate mail. I tell her that I will be forwarding her email to Google and also reporting it to her state police as a hate crime. The latter involves me filling out a very convoluted online form.

6 hours later I receive a reply from Pandora Musclestein. She apologises profusely for the email I was sent and explains that her email was recently hacked but she has since changed her password.

I think Fk. Not only have I reported this email to Google, but I have also contacted her local state police and accused her of a crime she was completely innocent of.

So I send a follow up email to Google explaining the situation.I can't find an email address for her state police dept so I have to make an international phone call to them to explain the true situation to them.

My life recently just seems to have turned into an utter farce.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
So today I'm going through my emails and I notice I have an unread email from a week ago that I somehow missed at the time.

It is from someone I've never heard of with a very distinctive name. Let's call her Pandora Musclestein.

I wont quote the email since it is full of swear words and would probably violate forum policy. Suffice to say it is extremely hateful and offensive.

I google her name and I find a couple of people on forums saying they have received exactly the same email.

I also find a little blog she runs which reveals what American state she lives in.

I've had a very stressful month and I can't be having with this. I'm not just going to go on some forum and whinge. I'm actually going to do something about this.

I reply to Pandora Musclestein. I tell her I have no idea how she found out my email address or why she is sending me hate mail. I tell her that I will be forwarding her email to Google and also reporting it to her state police as a hate crime. The latter involves me filling out a very convoluted online form.

6 hours later I receive a reply from Pandora Musclestein. She apologises profusely for the email I was sent and explains that her email was recently hacked but she has since changed her password.

I think Fk. Not only have I reported this email to Google, but I have also contacted her local state police and accused her of a crime she was completely innocent of.

So I send a follow up email to Google explaining the situation.I can't find an email address for her state police dept so I have to make an international phone call to them to explain the true situation to them.

I'd've assumed a hacking job right from the start.

GNC

King-Sized Canary

I don't think the problems are with you, I think the problems are with everyone else. This is what I say to reassure myself, anyway. Trying to bite through forks notwithstanding.

But quite often a lot of the problems in this world are from people who are either careless, or go out of their way to cause trouble. When you get mixed up with a high volume of both, your life becomes a farce. You at least sound as if you're trying to do right, which is not to be sneezed at.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
I'd've assumed a hacking job right from the start.
Yes, you're quite right. I obviously totally over-reacted to the situation.

It's just that I've had a really bad month. My mother died. My property was broken into. I have become involved in needlessly convoluted conversations with my landlords regarding some repairs they agreed would be carried out within a certain time frame and weren't.

I can't get a good night's sleep. I have been experiencing frequent anxiety attacks. I have experienced severe side effects from some new medication I have been put on. My concentration is shot to bits.

As a consequence of all this, I completely overreacted to something which normally I would have completely ignored.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

It's just that I've had a really bad month. My mother died. My property was broken into. I have become involved in needlessly convoluted conversations with my landlords regarding some repairs they agreed would be carried out within a certain time frame and weren't.

I can't get a good night's sleep. I have been experiencing frequent anxiety attacks. I have experienced severe side effects from some new medication I have been put on. My concentration is shot to bits.

As a consequence of all this, I completely overreacted to something which normally I would have completely ignored.
Oh no, what a terrible time you're having, especially having lost your mother. I'm sorry to hear that.
No wonder you're stressed up, anyone would be.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form

Sorry to hear about your troubles, graylien. Your stress is understandable, given the circumstances. I hope things will turn around soon.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I know it's all very well for a stranger on the internet to tell you to stop beating yourself up about this run of ill fortune, but none of it sounds like your fault, @graylien . Everything passes and you can get over the bad times, it just takes time, that's all.

Stuff like that...

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..

So sorry to hear of all you've been through lately, graylien. :group:

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
So I go down to Morrison's this afternoon to get a few bits and bobs. Then I quietly sit on the bench outside munching on a pork pie and drinking my energy drink.

Two young dodgy looking types -one female, one boyfriend - come out of Morrison's closely pursued by a female security guard.

The security guard says to the girl, "I've seen you shoplifting. Let me see inside your bag."

The girl says "This is a public road. You've got no right to look inside my bag."

The security guard tries to take the bag from the girl. The girl resists. They end up pulling and pushing at each other for two minutes.

While this is going on, the boyfriend keeps saying, "She ain't done nothing wrong! She ain't done nothing wrong!

Eventually the security guard gets the bag off the girl and pulls out four bags of mixed salads.

The girl says "I got them salads from the Co-op."

The security guard says, "You clearly didn't. They've got our branding all over them."

Then some random skinny guy, who's obviously overheard all this, walks up to the couple and shouts: "YOU'RE THIEVING LYING C**TS! THEY SHOULD CALL THE POLICE AND HAVE YOU SCUM ARRESTED!

Then he wanders off. The security guard says to the girl, "I'm banning you from the store. I'm also banning you from our pharmacy next door."

The girl says, "Please don't ban me from the pharmacy. That's where I get all my meds from."

The security guard replies, "I'm banning you from the store AND the pharmacy."

The security guard then marches into the pharmacy, still clutching the four bags of mixed salads. The couple follow her into the pharmacy.

By now I've finished my pork pie so I think I'll just go home and watch the tennis.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
So I go down to Morrison's this afternoon to get a few bits and bobs. Then I quietly sit on the bench outside munching on a pork pie and drinking my energy drink.

Two young dodgy looking types -one female, one boyfriend - come out of Morrison's closely pursued by a female security guard.

The security guard says to the girl, "I've seen you shoplifting. Let me see inside your bag."

The girl says "This is a public road. You've got no right to look inside my bag."

The security guard tries to take the bag from the girl. The girl resists. They end up pulling and pushing at each other for two minutes.

While this is going on, the boyfriend keeps saying, "She ain't done nothing wrong! She ain't done nothing wrong!

Eventually the security guard gets the bag off the girl and pulls out four bags of mixed salads.

The girl says "I got them salads from the Co-op."

The security guard says, "You clearly didn't. They've got our branding all over them."

Then some random skinny guy, who's obviously overheard all this, walks up to the couple and shouts: "YOU'RE THIEVING LYING C**TS! THEY SHOULD CALL THE POLICE AND HAVE YOU SCUM ARRESTED!

Then he wanders off. The security guard says to the girl, "I'm banning you from the store. I'm also banning you from our pharmacy next door."

The girl says, "Please don't ban me from the pharmacy. That's where I get all my meds from."

The security guard replies, "I'm banning you from the store AND the pharmacy."

The security guard then marches into the pharmacy, still clutching the four bags of mixed salads. The couple follow her into the pharmacy.

By now I've finished my pork pie so I think I'll just go home and watch the tennis.
Entertainment.

INT21

Antediluvian
The things people will do to get their five a day.

Went into town today. Just got into my car to return home when a Lexus pulls up on the opposite side of the road.
A body shuffles quickly to the drivers side.
Hand reaches in clutching some notes. Pulls back out with small packet in hand. Shuffles off down an ally.

Lexus drives off.

3 PM

So another successful deal completed. Not even dark.

INT21.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Firstly, Mods. If I am breaking any rules by mentioning the name of a specific company then by all means delete the company name. Let's just call them Krypton Rentals. But please let the rest of the post stand. I need to get this off my chest.

Let me give you some free advice. Never ever have anything to do with Hughes Electrical. They have the worst customer service I have ever encountered. Two examples.

Firstly I order a washer/dryer from them. Two installation guys turn up this Monday with a completely different machine from the one Hughes confirmed they were delivering.

Fair enough, I think. No need to make a fuss. So long as the machine works, I'm happy.

The installation guys tell me my plumbing is incompatible with the machine. The machine only gets installed because my neighbour - who used to be a plumber 20 years ago - stands over the installation guys for 20 minutes explaining to them how to do their jobs.

The machine is faulty. The washer is fine. The drying function doesn't work at all.

I've sent two emails to Hughes asking why they sent the wrong machine and reporting that it's faulty. They've completely ignored both emails.

Secondly my mother died a couple of weeks ago. She lived in a housing association bungalow. I live in a tiny bedsit and have no room for any of my mother's posessions.

This morning, a really nice lady from the Housing Association phones me. She explains that as the next of kin, she needs me to grant her legal permission to get a house clearing company in to clear everything out of the bungalow so they can re-let it. I grant her permission.

Then I suddenly remember that my mother rented a massive widescreen TV from Hughes. It's probably worth at least £350. And it's about to get thrown in a skip.

So I think the fair thing to do is ring Hughes, explain the situation, and give them the Housing Association's phone number so they can arrange to collect their TV.

I call Hughes' customer service team. The first lady I speak to is very curt and abrupt. I have to ask her to stop firing questions at me so I can explain the situation without being constantly interrupted.

She tells me she needs to put me through to another department, who will sort everything out.

The second lady I speak to is actually very professional and polite. She tells me she is sorry to hear of my loss. She tells me she is sorry but she can't resolve the matter herself. She will need to forward my call to the local Hughes shop who my mother rented the TV from.

The guy who answers the phone in the shop is again very curt and abrupt. I suggests he liaises with the Housing Association to pick up the TV. He replies "Ohhhhhh. Do I have to? Cant someone else go to the property and let us in?

I explain that no-one else has keys to the bungalow. He will therefore need to speak to the Housing Association

He replies "Ohhhh, alright then. What's the number?"

I give him the number and the name of the person he will be speaking to. He says "Fine. Bye then".

Quite frankly I wish I'd never bothered. I should have let them chuck that £350 TV in a skip and bugger Hughes.

Apart from that one really nice lady, their customer service has been the worst I have ever encountered.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Firstly, Mods. If I am breaking any rules by mentioning the name of a specific company then by all means delete the company name. Let's just call them Krypton Rentals. But please let the rest of the post stand. I need to get this off my chest.

Let me give you some free advice. Never ever have anything to do with Hughes Electrical. They have the worst customer service I have ever encountered. Two examples.

Firstly I order a washer/dryer from them. Two installation guys turn up this Monday with a completely different machine from the one Hughes confirmed they were delivering.

Fair enough, I think. No need to make a fuss. So long as the machine works, I'm happy.

The installation guys tell me my plumbing is incompatible with the machine. The machine only gets installed because my neighbour - who used to be a plumber 20 years ago - stands over the installation guys for 20 minutes explaining to them how to do their jobs.

The machine is faulty. The washer is fine. The drying function doesn't work at all.

I've sent two emails to Hughes asking why they sent the wrong machine and reporting that it's faulty. They've completely ignored both emails.

Secondly my mother died a couple of weeks ago. She lived in a housing association bungalow. I live in a tiny bedsit and have no room for any of my mother's posessions.

This morning, a really nice lady from the Housing Association phones me. She explains that as the next of kin, she needs me to grant her legal permission to get a house clearing company in to clear everything out of the bungalow so they can re-let it. I grant her permission.

Then I suddenly remember that my mother rented a massive widescreen TV from Hughes. It's probably worth at least £350. And it's about to get thrown in a skip.

So I think the fair thing to do is ring Hughes, explain the situation, and give them the Housing Association's phone number so they can arrange to collect their TV.

I call Hughes' customer service team. The first lady I speak to is very curt and abrupt. I have to ask her to stop firing questions at me so I can explain the situation without being constantly interrupted.

She tells me she needs to put me through to another department, who will sort everything out.

The second lady I speak to is actually very professional and polite. She tells me she is sorry to hear of my loss. She tells me she is sorry but she can't resolve the matter herself. She will need to forward my call to the local Hughes shop who my mother rented the TV from.

The guy who answers the phone in the shop is again very curt and abrupt. I suggests he liaises with the Housing Association to pick up the TV. He replies "Ohhhhhh. Do I have to? Cant someone else go to the property and let us in?

I explain that no-one else has keys to the bungalow. He will therefore need to speak to the Housing Association

He replies "Ohhhh, alright then. What's the number?"

I give him the number and the name of the person he will be speaking to. He says "Fine. Bye then".

Quite frankly I wish I'd never bothered. I should have let them chuck that £350 TV in a skip and bugger Hughes.

Apart from that one really nice lady, their customer service has been the worst I have ever encountered.
It sounds like they will go bust soon, so don't worry too much.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
They weren't really ever Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich.

But I always confuse that lineup with Davy, Micky, Pete and Mike. Irrespective of the numerical mis-match.

Here we come walkin'
Down the street
We get the funniest looks from
Ev'ry one we meet
Hey, hey, we're the Monkees
And people say we monkey around
But we're too busy singin'
To put anybody down