Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
They weren't really ever Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich.

But I always confuse that lineup with Davy, Micky, Pete and Mike. Irrespective of the numerical mis-match.

Here we come walkin'
Down the street
We get the funniest looks from
Ev'ry one we meet
Hey, hey, we're the Monkees
And people say we monkey around
But we're too busy singin'
To put anybody down
They are similar-sounding names, in a way... Dave/Davy - Mick/Micky. :) I've heard of the other five but couldn't say off-hand any songs they did. Possibly one of those bands that I know the song but not the artist.

I loved the Monkees when I was little. Still do, except now I'm old enough to appreciate the subtleties of the stories in the episodes; my memory of watching them when I was little is "funny people running around and singing". But now, well, there are emotions and morals and things. :) And I'm not ashamed to say I love their music; not many people know some of the later stuff they did, for example. And the solo stuff.

I'll stop fangirling now :curt:

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
So yesterday evening I email the CEO of Hughes telling him how abysmal their customer service is.

I assume that he will completely ignore my email and just delete it.

This morning at 9.30 AM I receive a reply from his PA telling me that one of their Managing Directors will be looking into the matter.

Obviously they have all my emails on file and they also have recordings of the phone calls I made to their obnoxious Customer Service Dept.

I will await further developments.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Further developments have arisen. I send three emails to Hughes' customer service dept and they are all ignored.

I then send one email to their CEO at 6pm. By 9.30 am the following day I recieve an email from his PA. She tells me one of the Managing Directors will personally investigate the issue. He will give me a written response within 10 days.

If his response is inadequate I will take Hughes to the Small Claims Court for their charges for my faulty machine.

I will not be representing myself. I have been experiencing frequent Anxiety Attacks recently which I am under medical treatment for. When I experience one of these attacks, it leaves me unable to verbalize properly. It makes me rather shaky and incoherent.

I will therefore use my meagre savings to hire the best lawyer I can afford. I will give him/her copies of all the emails I have sent Hughes.

I am absolutely certain that I will win my case. Hughes will then both have to refund me for their charges for their faulty machine, plus my legal costs.

I have had it with these buffoons.

Also yesterday I am quietly walking to Morrisons. Some idiot driving an old banger leans out of his window and shouts "TWAT!" at me. He has picked exactly the wrong day to do this. I shout "C**T" back at him.

Much to my disappointment he ignores me and drives on.

Had he stopped and got out of his car I would have tried my very best to kick his teeth down his throat.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Further developments have arisen. I send three emails to Hughes' customer service dept and they are all ignored.

I then send one email to their CEO at 6pm. By 9.30 am the following day I recieve an email from his PA. She tells me one of the Managing Directors will personally investigate the issue. He will give me a written response within 10 days.

If his response is inadequate I will take Hughes to the Small Claims Court for their charges for my faulty machine.

I will not be representing myself. I have been experiencing frequent Anxiety Attacks recently which I am under medical treatment for. When I experience one of these attacks, it leaves me unable to verbalize properly. It makes me rather shaky and incoherent.

I will therefore use my meagre savings to hire the best lawyer I can afford. I will give him/her copies of all the emails I have sent Hughes.

I am absolutely certain that I will win my case. Hughes will then both have to refund me for their charges for their faulty machine, plus my legal costs.

Also yesterday I am quietly walking to Morrisons. Some idiot driving an old banger leans out of his window and shouts "TWAT!" at me. He has picked exactly the wrong day to do this. I shout "C**T" back at him.

Had he stopped and got out of his car I would have tried my very best to kick his teeth down his throat.

I sympathise re: your anxiety. It is an utter bitch to live with. :group:

You're a stronger person than me though; I think I would probably admit defeat at this point rather than taking it to court. Only you know if it is worth it though, but please be careful that it doesn't cause you even more stress. (Please don't take this wrongly, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just offering concerned advice).

Best of luck, and who knows, perhaps with the Managing Director getting involved he might sort it out anyway and you won't need to go further. Fingers crossed and all that.

As for the person who shouted at you; sounds bizarre, I don't know why he would really do that. But then again there are some odd people in the world.
(Unless he had Tourette's or something, I suppose).

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
If you have savings, would it not be cheaper to just buy a washer/dryer new? Rather than giving your readies to a lawyer?
Unless you get legal aid, the solicitor may actually cost you more.

Think 'path of least resistance'. Om...

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Today I bought a large wooden CD storage unit from a charity shop. It was quite heavy and as I have arthritis I was rather struggling with it.

About 5 minutes walk from my home a really nice guy called John noticed me struggling and offered to carry it to my house himself.

By way of conversation I asked if he'd been watching the tennis at Eastbourne. He replied that he used to be a professional tennis player and coach.

At one time he was the UK no 9 ranked player. He's played Queens and Wimbledon. He used to be Steffi Graf's hitting partner when she played UK tournaments. He used to know Martina Navratilova, Martina Hingus, Boris Becker and various other greats of the past. He's retired from tennis now.

Dunno what he does now, but he emerged from a very nice house wearing designer shades, so he's obviously doing well.

So there are still some nice people around!

escargot

Beloved of Ra

Couple of years back I was turning left onto a roundabout perfectly legally on my bike when a van pulled alongside me.

The passenger leaned out and said 'Listen, woman -' in an apparent attempt to put me in my place.

I shouted FUCK OFFFFFFF!' straight into his face. He retracted his ugly head so fast I'm surprised it didn't fall off. Tosser.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
The front lawn had gone feral as I've not had time to cut it for about seven weeks. Needed to strim off the worst before deploying the Flymo. Nearly finished when the strimmer went 'phut', tripped the circuit breakers in the house, and began to smoke...it is an ex-strimmer.
My lawn hasn't been done for YEARS.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Same here - we've got a wild garden. It's amazing how it develops and changes over the year, and then pretty much resets in the winter.

We've let it run free for about 8 years, there are now trees where the lawn used to be.
Well done! That is a sanctuary for wildlife.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Same here - we've got a wild garden. It's amazing how it develops and changes over the year, and then pretty much resets in the winter.

We've let it run free for about 8 years, there are now trees where the lawn used to be.
I've been through phases with mine. Currently cultivating a lawn and fruit trees, with a patio. It's been WELL wild in the past. No good for doing big craft projects if it's overgrown.
We've been struggling a bit with upkeep of our garden lately. Some bits of it are rather more overgrown than others, so it does look quite 'full' at the moment. Maybe we should turn some of it into a wild garden (its probably half way there already)?

Does it just kind of take care of itself?

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
We've been struggling a bit with upkeep of our garden lately. Some bits of it are rather more overgrown than others, so it does look quite 'full' at the moment. Maybe we should turn some of it into a wild garden (its probably half way there already)?

Does it just kind of take care of itself?
Yeah pretty much. You might need to take some bits if trees start growing too close to the house or something. I do attempt to at least sweep the patio bits occasionally....

My Dad would disagree completely though, he's a mad keen gardener and he's not happy with my lack of horticultural interest :tank:

I would rather do roughly a million other things than gardening.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
would rather do roughly a million other things than gardening.
Know what you mean, but a garden is like another room to enjoy. You can do your messy stuff there.

I'm currently painting up some crappy cheap metal chairs to look like Victorian cast iron.
Plenty of space outside for that sort of thing.
There is also scope for sprawling in the sun while listening to t'wireless and drinking wine or another hot or cold beverage of your choice, possibly accompanied by snacks...

My neighbours seem to have barbecues and smoke weed every night. The smells drift over and remind us how lucky we are to live among such chilled-out people.

Gardens, y'see. It's not just about hard work.