Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
I do love gardening but I find it hard to do, and Mr Zebra has enough on his plate with everything else I can't do, that it doesn't leave him much energy for it either. So it's quite frustrating, but also rewarding; it's nice when something we've planted, grows and turns into a full-grown plant.

But I'd love a garden to be proud of. We try and attack it bit-by-bit, just don't always get very far. I'd like the sort of garden that other people see and go "oh, that's lovely" (like I do when I see a nice garden :) ) Lots of flowers. I like stuff that has flowers, don't really care for plants that are just leaves (other than trees, I make an exception for those).

The funny thing is, both sides of my parents families were good at gardening (to the extent of getting 'council garden awards' or whatever they're called. I wish I was as good at it as they were.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Our problem is that we have a sizeable balcony off the living room (upside down house) that overlooks the Downs so there's very little need to use the garden itself.
Having noticed the abundance of lovely clear glass on the balcony I'd be using that space primarily for mooning fortunate passers-by.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
For no particular reason, I was thinking about the comic book character Sabretooth. I knew from when I was a kid that he had some connection to Wolverine, but not sure what. Out of curiosity I looked up his fictional history online. It didn't seem weird at first untill a bit further down when they mentioned him going on a mission to the exact small swedish town that I am living in.

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
Managed to reschedule delivery of our new sofa without resorting to screams, tears or threats.

I'm not proud of it but I once threatened to burn down someones house if they couldn't deliver something important at the exact time they had promised (I was under a lot of stress at the time). It worked though.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
This morning I very nearly got myself into physical fight with a crackhead who sadly lives in the flat opposite.

The results of this would have been farcical, since I am in my late 40s and have arthritis and he is in his mid 50s and is physically wasted from years of drug abuse.

So that was my day. Going to catch up on the tennis now.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This morning I very nearly got myself into physical fight with a crackhead who sadly lives in the flat opposite.

The results of this would have been farcical, since I am in my late 40s and have arthritis and he is in his mid 50s and is physically wasted from years of drug abuse.

Hope you weren't too shaken by that experience.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
To be honest I was pretty shaken by it. Talked to the police. Three options

1. I press criminal charges against him. It's just his word against mine, so ultimately the judge isn't going to know who to believe

2. The police visit him and have a quiet off the record chat about his behaviour and advise him to put a lid on it, or

3. I drop the matter all together.

I've gone for option 2. Which I've told absolutely no-one about. Not even my landlord.

What I'm hoping for is that when the police enter his room for a quick chat, they may perhaps observe the presence of certain paraphenalia that may interest them greatly. Bit of a long shot, but just maybe it might happen.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
To be honest I was pretty shaken by it. Talked to the police. Three options

1. I press criminal charges against him. It's just his word against mine, so ultimately the judge isn't going to know who to believe

2. The police visit him and have a quiet off the record chat about his behaviour and advise him to put a lid on it, or

3. I drop the matter all together.

I've gone for option 2. Which I've told absolutely no-one about. Not even my landlord.

What I'm hoping for is that when the police enter his room for a quick chat, they may perhaps observe the presence of certain paraphenalia that may interest them greatly. Bit of a long shot, but just maybe it might happen.
My guess is that he's already 'known' to them.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
I disagree, I think you did the right thing. It's better to get him some 'strong words of advice' than push for prosecution straight away. Give him chance to change his behaviour. And option 3 is not fair on you.

Remember folks....drug users are human too.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

so what happened?

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
I'll get round to that in a bit. Very long story. Short version:

1 Smackhead moves in. Suddenly parcels start going missing. This has never happened before.

2. Smackhead is constantly knocking on people's doors asking to borrow money. It may or may not be paid back by the agreed date.

3. Over the last month, three times a week the smackhead will wake up everyone in the house between midnight and 1am by ringing the doorbell and banging on the door. Smackhead will say "Sorry mate, I've left my key in the wrong trousers."

I know for a fact he's woken up the two guys in the two front rooms downstairs cause I've seen them open the door for him. All they are wearing are their boxer shorts. So they've clearly gone to bed. I know for a fact he's woken my next door neighbour upstairs up, but my next door neighbour has decided he will not leave his room and deal with a stoned smackhead at midnight to 1am.

Smackhead does have a front door key cause I've seen him let himself in with it. One night I politely suggest to him that he buys a keychain he can attach to his belt. That way he will always have his keys on him no matter what trousers he is wearing.

Because he is so stoned out of his mind, he replies, "Nah mate, I'm alright. I just keep leaving my keys in the wrong trousers."

I therefore go on eBay and order a keychain he can attach to his trousers. In the meantime, I email my landlord and explain all I have explained above.

4. Various events then occur, which result in him yelling at me he is about to kick me down the stairs, kick my teeth in, then take me outside and give me a good hiding.

I then return to my room. I have a massive panic attack and phone the police non emergency number.

The rest I have explained in my earlier post.

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
I'll get round to that in a bit. Very long story. Short version:

1 Smackhead moves in. Suddenly parcels start going missing. This has never happened before.

2. Smackhead is constantly knocking on people's doors asking to borrow money. It may or may not be paid back by the agreed date.

3. Over the last month, three times a week the smackhead will wake up everyone in the house between midnight and 1am by ringing the doorbell and banging on the door. Smackhead will say "Sorry mate, I've left my key in the wrong trousers."

I know for a fact he's woken up the two guys in the two front rooms downstairs cause I've seen them open the door for him. All they are wearing are their boxer shorts. So they've clearly gone to bed. I know for a fact he's woken my next door neighbour upstairs up, but my next door neighbour has decided he will not leave his room and deal with a stoned smackhead at midnight to 1am.

Smackhead does have a front door key cause I've seen him let himself in with it. One night I politely suggest to him that he buys a keychain he can attach to his belt. That way he will always have his keys on him no matter what trousers he is wearing.

Because he is so stoned out of his mind, he replies, "Nah mate, I'm alright. I just keep leaving my keys in the wrong trousers."

I therefore go on eBay and order a keychain he can attach to his trousers. In the meantime, I email my landlord and explain all I have explained above.

4. Various events then occur, which result in him yelling at me he is about to kick me down the stairs, kick my teeth in, then take me outside and give me a good hiding.

I then return to my room. I have a massive panic attack and phone the police non emergency number.

The rest I have explained in my earlier post.
I'd like to think that just about all of that behaviour goes against the terms of his lease/rental agreement. If there is a friendly landlord could you not go that route? And it's fairly likely that it's not just you who'll be glad to see the back of him.

I've had some neighbours in the past who could be dreadful at times but nothing like that. (Years ago I did go round to a flat in the next door building to mine and spent five minutes kicking their blood-stained front door – seriously – and when I complained about the noise, they said it was okay, they weren't working the next day. I was. I'm not sure it works that way. Bastard!)

Last edited:

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
I'd like to think that just about all of that behaviour goes against the terms of his lease/rental agreement. If there is a friendly landlord could you not go that route? And it's fairly likely that it's not just you who'll be glad to see the back of him.
Unfortunately there is no CCTV in the house, so there's no tangible evidence he's the thief.

I have emailed my landlord suggesting that since they are aware multiple thefts AND antisocial behaviour are occuring, they might consider installing CCTV.

They have completely ignored my email.

The Tenancy Agreement does contain the following two clauses (the term 'property' does not mean the entire house. It refers to the individual flatlet within the house that the tenant individually rents.)

"The tenant should not permit or suffer anything to be done on the property which may be likely to cause a nuisance or annoyance to a person residing, visiting, or otherwise engaged in a lawful activity in the locality.

The tenant should not make or permit any noise or play any radio, television, or other equipment between the hours of 10pm and 7am so as to be an audible nuisance outside the property subject only to the design and construction limitations of the building."

So this constant banging and ringing the doorbell between Midnight and 1am seems to clearly contravene both those clauses.

I have asked my landlord to speak to the two tenants in the two downstairs front rooms to confirm this is happening and I've heard nothing back.

Got to sign out now as something urgent has come up.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Unfortunately there is no CCTV in the house, so there's no tangible evidence he's the thief.

I have emailed my landlord suggesting that since they are aware multiple thefts AND antisocial behaviour are occuring, they might consider installing CCTV.

They have completely ignored my email.

The Tenancy Agreement does contain the following two clauses (the term 'property' does not mean the entire house. It refers to the individual flatlet within the house that the tenant individually rents.)

"The tenant should not permit or suffer anything to be done on the property which may be likely to cause a nuisance or annoyance to a person residing, visiting, or otherwise engaged in a lawful activity in the locality.

The tenant should not make or permit any noise or play any radio, television, or other equipment between the hours of 10pm and 7am so as to be an audible nuisance outside the property subject only to the design and construction limitations of the building."

So this constant banging and ringing the doorbell between Midnight and 1am seems to clearly contravene both those clauses.

I have asked my landlord to speak to the two tenants in the two downstairs front rooms to confirm this is happening and I've heard nothing back.

Got to sign out now as something urgent has come up.
Must say, the people I've known over the years with that level of addiction/loss of control over life weren't a problem for long. His health and lifestyle will soon see him off.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Must say, the people I've known over the years with that level of addiction/loss of control over life weren't a problem for long. His health and lifestyle will soon see him off.
Too right. Plus a third party tells me smackhead is £1000 in debt with the landlord. Which completely violates the tenancy agreement.

To be honest, I utterly overreacted to the situation.

It's just this damn anxiety disorder I have,, which causes me to occasionally act utterly irrationally.

The truth is he's a 55 year old smackhead whose body is totally wasted from his many years of smack addiction.

If anyone is going to be kicking anyone down the f**king stairs, it will be me politely offering him to carry out this action.

In the meantime I have contacted the police and requested they take no further action on this issue.

I also have a new policy regarding the mail.

If a courier requests me to sign for some mail, unless it is addressed to me or my next door neighbour, I will refuse to sign for it.

If mail comes through the letterbox for any other tenants, I will leave it in the communal post tray.

If their mail gets nicked, which it most likely will, then it is up to them to get off their lazy arses and deal with this situation themselves.

I ain't no one's social worker. And I ain't no one's sorting office.

If he starts kicking the door in at midnight, I will completely ignore him.

It will be up to the other tenant's to deal with this.

If for some reason he starts kicking and banging on my own door, then I will simply call 999 and report that a crime is in progress.

Should he kick my door in and enter my room then I am legally entitled to physically restrain him. I will therefore do so. I will not attack him and I will not injure him.

So it's all fine.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Sorry to hear of these troubles, graylian. In the midst of them, it is hard to see the end of the tunnel. As the snail wisely says, these folk tend to be self-limiting. Meanwhile all too horrid. Wishing you well. :salute:

Last edited:

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
So I'm sitting outside Morrisons on the bench this afternoon drinking my cheapo energy drink when I notice this massive battered old black umbrella behind the seat, that for some reason has the letters FM stamped all over it in gold. Obviously someone has mistakenly left it behind. I presume they're using it as a sunshade.

So I think I'll hand it in to the girl on the customer services desk. This will only take 30 seconds.

Already talking to the girl on the customer services desk is a shrewish middle aged lady in designer clothing clutching a bottle of Rose champagne. Apparently it's on special offer.

She says it's her daughter's hen party next week and she'd like to get a dozen more of these bottles of champagne in for her, but there aren't any more on the shelves.

Why aren't there any more on the shelves? When will they next be restocked?

How long will the champagne be on offer? Can she order it online?

How long will it take to be delivered? Will she get a discount if she orders multiple bottles?

The girl replies that it is an in-store offer only. It is not available on their website. And the offer is only available till next Tuesday.

The girl offers to order a dozen bottles into the store itself, at the special offer price, providing the lady pays for them in advance. She can then collect her order from Customer Services any time next week.

The lady dithers and dithers over this utterly reasonable offer, but she cant make up her mind about it.

Apparently "This is all too complicated for me to understand. I will need to go home and have a think about it."

I'm beginning to think Fk this umbrella. I've been standing there five minutes already with it. Maybe I'll just take it back outside and leave it where I found it.

Eventually this dithering woman wanders off, still clutching her bottle of Rose champagne.

This has all so irritated me so much that I wait till this woman is out of earshot and I say to the poor Customer Service girl "Jeez! Talk about First World Problems!

The girl bursts out laughing and I finally hand her this weird old umbrella. She clearly also thinks this lady is a complete bellend

So finally I'm chilling on the bench again when this really frail looking homeless woman in her mid 30s wanders up and asks for some change.

I say I can't give her any change but I offer her another bottle of energy drink. She thanks me but says she can't accept it cause she has epilepsy and anything too sugary can bring on one of her fits.

She says "I don't know what to do. I've been standing outside the train station all day and no-one's hardly given me anything. I just need to get £10 together. My friend has said I can stay at her place for three days. But I need to get the bus out there and back again and she needs a few quid she can put in her electric meter cause she's run out of leccy."

This completely makes sense. Obviously her friend lives in a bedsit with a coin meter, and her landlord has imposed a maximum time she can allow a third party to stay in her room. And her friend has run out of electricity.

I used to commute from that train station myself. The three First Class carriages are full of guys whose suits alone are worth more than the entire contents of my flatlet. And apparently they can't afford to give this poor girl a couple of quid.

This bitch with her champagne has already pissed me off. Now I'm even more pissed off.

So I give the girl a tenner. She literally bursts into tears and gives me a hug. She tells me it is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for her. So if that is so, she has clearly lived an utterly abysmal life.

Funny old world, innit?

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
...this really frail looking homeless woman in her mid 30s wanders up and asks for some change. So I give the girl a tenner.
Which brings her up to the cash she needs for her next hit of smack. Which she’ll share with her 55-year old smackhead mate in his flat.

You know, the flat opposite yours.

maximus otter

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Which brings her up to the cash she needs for her next hit of smack. Which she’ll share with her 55-year old smackhead mate in his flat.

You know, the flat opposite yours.

maximus otter
Yeah, you could well be right. People on the street often tell you all kinds of convoluted stories. And 99 times out of 100 I don't believe a word of them, and I won't even give them 50p. In this particular case, the girl struck me as being sincere.

As for the girlfriend of the smackhead opposite, my information is that she pays for her habit by working as a prostitute. So I doubt she'd need to wander round asking people for spare change.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Yeah, you could well be right. People on the street often tell you all kinds of convoluted stories. And 99 times out of 100 I don't believe a word of them, and I won't even give them 50p. In this particular case, the girl struck me as being sincere.

As for the girlfriend of the smackhead opposite, my information is that she pays for her habit by working as a prostitute. So I doubt she'd need to wander round asking people for spare change.
This afternoon, find an OP from which you can’t be seen and keep eyes on the bench and the area around it. Perhaps you’ll find out if the tenner enabled her to “get to her pal’s house”.

This isn’t meant to sound rude, but wouldn’t it be a better idea to put your tenners to work finding a better flat?

Paying off an addict’s credit card might seem like a kind gesture, but it really isn’t.

maximus otter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
So I'm sitting outside Morrisons on the bench this afternoon drinking my cheapo energy drink when I notice this massive battered old black umbrella behind the seat, that for some reason has the letters FM stamped all over it in gold. Obviously someone has mistakenly left it behind. I presume they're using it as a sunshade.

So I think I'll hand it in to the girl on the customer services desk. This will only take 30 seconds.

Already talking to the girl on the customer services desk is a shrewish middle aged lady in designer clothing clutching a bottle of Rose champagne. Apparently it's on special offer.

She says it's her daughter's hen party next week and she'd like to get a dozen more of these bottles of champagne in for her, but there aren't any more on the shelves.

Why aren't there any more on the shelves? When will they next be restocked?

How long will the champagne be on offer? Can she order it online?

How long will it take to be delivered? Will she get a discount if she orders multiple bottles?

The girl replies that it is an in-store offer only. It is not available on their website. And the offer is only available till next Tuesday.

The girl offers to order a dozen bottles into the store itself, at the special offer price, providing the lady pays for them in advance. She can then collect her order from Customer Services any time next week.

The lady dithers and dithers over this utterly reasonable offer, but she cant make up her mind about it.

Apparently "This is all too complicated for me to understand. I will need to go home and have a think about it."

I'm beginning to think Fk this umbrella. I've been standing there five minutes already with it. Maybe I'll just take it back outside and leave it where I found it.

Eventually this dithering woman wanders off, still clutching her bottle of Rose champagne.

This has all so irritated me so much that I wait till this woman is out of earshot and I say to the poor Customer Service girl "Jeez! Talk about First World Problems!

The girl bursts out laughing and I finally hand her this weird old umbrella. She clearly also thinks this lady is a complete bellend

So finally I'm chilling on the bench again when this really frail looking homeless woman in her mid 30s wanders up and asks for some change.

I say I can't give her any change but I offer her another bottle of energy drink. She thanks me but says she can't accept it cause she has epilepsy and anything too sugary can bring on one of her fits.

She says "I don't know what to do. I've been standing outside the train station all day and no-one's hardly given me anything. I just need to get £10 together. My friend has said I can stay at her place for three days. But I need to get the bus out there and back again and she needs a few quid she can put in her electric meter cause she's run out of leccy."

This completely makes sense. Obviously her friend lives in a bedsit with a coin meter, and her landlord has imposed a maximum time she can allow a third party to stay in her room. And her friend has run out of electricity.

I used to commute from that train station myself. The three First Class carriages are full of guys whose suits alone are worth more than the entire contents of my flatlet. And apparently they can't afford to give this poor girl a couple of quid.

This bitch with her champagne has already pissed me off. Now I'm even more pissed off.

So I give the girl a tenner. She literally bursts into tears and gives me a hug. She tells me it is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for her. So if that is so, she has clearly lived an utterly abysmal life.

Funny old world, innit?
You are a truly kind person and I am full of admiration. £10 is a lot of money to give away.

It doesn't really matter whether her story was true or not. She is a fellow soul who's having a harder time than you are and you chose to share what you have with her.