Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Wouldn't it be a better idea to put your tenners to work finding a better flat?
Yeah, it would be. The trouble with that is I signed an updated tenancy agreement in April which has basically locked me into this place until Oct 31st. I then have to give a month's notice. So I'm basically stuck here till December. I can then consider my options.

Bit odd that - since most landlords issue a 6 month fixed term contract, then it becomes rolling monthly. But mine is definitely from April 01 to Oct 31st.

Wandered past Morrisons today and no sign of girl either there or around train station.

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
You are a truly kind person and I am full of admiration. £10 is a lot of money to give away.

It doesn't really matter whether her story was true or not.
THE chief executive of a leading homeless charity says “well-meaning people” who give money to beggars are fuelling the drug and alcohol addictions of those on the streets.

Andy Winter, from Brighton Housing Trust, said the main challenge is the city’s tolerant attitude to begging. He said giving money was a “disincentive to seeking and accepting help”.

Mr Winter said: “Begging feeds addictions. Those who give money to beggars are at best helping to sustain addictions and rough sleeping. At worst, it provides the means to acquire drugs that could kill them. People who give money can be conned.”

“Last year I accompanied a reporter from Radio 4’s Today Programme to North Street and Western Road. At first she was sceptical about my assertion that begging in Brighton is very profitable, and it is related to addiction. The first person she spoke to said he had been begging for three hours and managed to get nearly £50.

He told her he would not be using the money to book accommodation but to help him ‘get off his head’.”

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17510463.dont-give-money-to-beggars-says-brighton-homeless-campaigner/

maximus otter

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
To be honest, I utterly overreacted to the situation.

It's just this damn anxiety disorder I have,, which causes me to occasionally act utterly irrationally.
You have my utmost sympathies. Anxiety disorder is awful and yes it does cause overreactions etc. But please just remember it isn't your fault, blame the anxiety, not yourself.

The lady dithers and dithers over this utterly reasonable offer, but she cant make up her mind about it.

Apparently "This is all too complicated for me to understand. I will need to go home and have a think about it."

I'm beginning to think Fk this umbrella. I've been standing there five minutes already with it. Maybe I'll just take it back outside and leave it where I found it.

Eventually this dithering woman wanders off, still clutching her bottle of Rose champagne.

This has all so irritated me so much that I wait till this woman is out of earshot and I say to the poor Customer Service girl "Jeez! Talk about First World Problems!
If you don't mind me saying, in my opinion I think this was a little harsh. The woman could just be someone who struggles to make decisions, like I often do - and what seems like a perfectly reasonable and easy decision to onlookers can in fact be incredibly difficult. I know - I suffer from this - it's part of my anxiety. Now, I could be wrong of course, but well... it's easy to judge, that's all. :)

Yeah, it would be. The trouble with that is I signed an updated tenancy agreement in April which has basically locked me into this place until Oct 31st. I then have to give a month's notice. So I'm basically stuck here till December. I can then consider my options.

Bit odd that - since most landlords issue a 6 month fixed term contract, then it becomes rolling monthly. But mine is definitely from April 01 to Oct 31st.
I'd double-check your tenancy agreement re: the month's notice. The usual thing as I understand it (I've read a lot about this stuff) is no notice is needed if it is a fixed period of tenancy (or at least, you would let them know one month before the tenancy ends, that you don't intend to renew it. You shouldn't need the month after that, although disclaimer: I haven't seen your particular tenancy agreement. :)

And yes, contracts automatic go onto 'rolling monthly' ones when a fixed term ends. Doesn't stop unscrupulous landlords (or more likely, letting agents) from wanting to sign people up to new contracts though (for a "small fee" :rolleyes: of course).

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
You may well be right about the woman with her champagne.

All I know is that she was dressed in designer clothing and she clearly had enough money to easily buy a dozen bottles of this champagne.

This therefore leads me to believe that she has an executive level job, and from what I observe of her behaviour, she has no anxiety issues and she is perfectly articulate.

Now my own opinion may well be unreliable. But the perfectly competent girl at the customer services desk - who goes out of her way to ensure this woman has her dozen bottles of Champagne at the special offer price - clearly also thinks this woman has acted like a complete a**ehole.

Believe it or not, I actually used to have a job with a major UK charity that involved a certain amount of Customer Service. I therefore have taken various training courses and undergone several Performance Reviews regarding my own Customer Service skills.

I therefore recognise good Customer Service. And I therefore recognise bad Customer Service.

Had the girl at the Customer Service desk been performing her role incompetently, then I could understand this obviously affluent woman becoming frustrated and rude towards her.

But this girl is doing an absolutely textbook perfect job. So there is absolutely no need for this woman to be so curt and abrupt with her.

My personal opinion is that this woman has spent her entire life living in a cozy middle class bubble, and apparently has therefore developed a massive sense of entitlement that has led her to believe that getting a couple of quid off some bottles of champagne is a major deal.

In the meantime there are people in this world who have genuine problems and challenges. And they handle them with far more dignity and restraint than this obviously affluent woman who makes a massive deal over this champagne.

In my personal opinion, this woman is just an obnoxious middle class a**ehole.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
You have my utmost sympathies. Anxiety disorder is awful and yes it does cause overreactions etc. But please just remember it isn't your fault, blame the anxiety, not yourself.

If you don't mind me saying, in my opinion I think this was a little harsh. The woman could just be someone who struggles to make decisions, like I often do - and what seems like a perfectly reasonable and easy decision to onlookers can in fact be incredibly difficult. I know - I suffer from this - it's part of my anxiety. Now, I could be wrong of course, but well... it's easy to judge, that's all. :)

I'd double-check your tenancy agreement re: the month's notice. The usual thing as I understand it (I've read a lot about this stuff) is no notice is needed if it is a fixed period of tenancy (or at least, you would let them know one month before the tenancy ends, that you don't intend to renew it. You shouldn't need the month after that, although disclaimer: I haven't seen your particular tenancy agreement. :)

And yes, contracts automatic go onto 'rolling monthly' ones when a fixed term ends. Doesn't stop unscrupulous landlords (or more likely, letting agents) from wanting to sign people up to new contracts though (for a "small fee" :rolleyes: of course).
If you would like to see my tenancy agreement, then I am perfectly happy to PM it to you. Would you like me to do so?

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
THE chief executive of a leading homeless charity says “well-meaning people” who give money to beggars are fuelling the drug and alcohol addictions of those on the streets.

Andy Winter, from Brighton Housing Trust, said the main challenge is the city’s tolerant attitude to begging. He said giving money was a “disincentive to seeking and accepting help”.

Mr Winter said: “Begging feeds addictions. Those who give money to beggars are at best helping to sustain addictions and rough sleeping. At worst, it provides the means to acquire drugs that could kill them. People who give money can be conned.”

“Last year I accompanied a reporter from Radio 4’s Today Programme to North Street and Western Road. At first she was sceptical about my assertion that begging in Brighton is very profitable, and it is related to addiction. The first person she spoke to said he had been begging for three hours and managed to get nearly £50.

He told her he would not be using the money to book accommodation but to help him ‘get off his head’.”

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17510463.dont-give-money-to-beggars-says-brighton-homeless-campaigner/

maximus otter
Do you know what?

I've just had the worst month of my entire life. All I've done is try to help someone out who is obviously in a far worse situation than me.

But apparently this makes me the bad guy. To the extent that you go to the trouble of typing out three passive aggressive replies telling me that I'm the bad guy.

With the greatest of respect, what exactly is your problem?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
THE chief executive of a leading homeless charity says “well-meaning people” who give money to beggars are fuelling the drug and alcohol addictions of those on the streets. ...
Sounds to me like this institutionalized person of authority within an organization dedicated to dealing with homelessness is parroting the sort of all-encompassing totalizing negative narrative one expects of citizens who can't be bothered to understand the multiple dimensions of the homelessness phenomenon. It's a shame someone with this presumptive "they're all the same" mentality is accorded the status of an expert on the subject.

Homelessness is a condition that can hit anyone anytime for reasons other than endemic inability to function as others smugly think they should. Like the various forms of addiction themselves, homelessness occurs to individuals - not all at once and always to some simplistically defined underclass. It happens, and must be engaged, on a case-by-case basis.

Graylien engaged one such person as an individual case. His response was his call, and therefore his business. At least he was engaged with the problem at its actual level of granularity.

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
This therefore leads me to believe that she has an executive level job, and from what I observe of her behaviour, she has no anxiety issues and she is perfectly articulate.
If she was in an executive role she wouldn’t have to buy cheap champers. She would get someone to order some in

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Which brings her up to the cash she needs for her next hit of smack. Which she’ll share with her 55-year old smackhead mate in his flat.

You know, the flat opposite yours.

maximus otter

And if she does so what? The following day she may think "I've had enough, time to get clean', she may enter treatment she may get off street drugs and lead a happy life bringing joy to others.

She may not but who the fuck give you the right to pontificate about someone else's life? What gives you the right to piss on GA's act of kindness?

People are sick to death of your cynicism and snide comments on here and when you are called out you run off laughing like a child.

henry

still speeding
regarding that chief exec, his actual words clearly refer to the problems associated with giving money to beggars, rather than the homeless

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I got one of those spiritual healer cards through the letter-box. It was from Sheikh. Amin.

Says he will help me have good luck, job, infertility problems and sexual impotency! :thought:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I've not had many recently. I used to get loads of them and much more entertaining than Mr Amin's.

(I can't help picturing him as Forest Whitaker playing Idi Amin!)

The gibberish they copy may be distributed by a network of nitwittery - very similar versions turn up all over the country.

I am tempted to give him a call. There are two mobile numbers.

Eloda! :mute:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I've not had many recently. I used to get loads of them and much more entertaining than Mr Amin's.

(I can't help picturing him as Forest Whitaker playing Idi Amin!)

The gibberish they copy may be distributed by a network of nitwittery - very similar versions turn up all over the country.

I am tempted to give him a call. There are two mobile numbers.

Eloda! :mute:
Put on a fake voice when you call. Ask for something outlandish and see what the response is.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
yesterday, rather than today, 4 vans rolled up in my cul de sac to dig a humungous hole in the path. 2 doors down had lost their power. power guy knocked on the door to warn us the power might go off for 4 to 5 hours once they'd dug the hole in half hour or so. 2 more vans rolled up. but the electric guys had nothing to do yet and sat in the road on garden chairs. after almost 2 hours of digging, getting deeper and deeper i wondered if maybe the cable they were looking for was perhaps in australia? they finally got started. in the end the power was off maybe an hour.
today the hole filling department came back to make the pavement nice. they brought with them a tarmac lorry worthy of filling in a motorway. that much lorry they couldve done the pot-holes while they were at it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
ZebraPup is currently playing with her Clown toy but has got a bit... overzealous with the nose area and now there is what can only be described as ectoplasm coming out of it.
You need to confiscate it ASAP in case ZP swallows any. Very dangerous.

We used to tease our big dog Rocky with a squeaky whale enigmatically named Squeaky. The idea was to get his attention with it while training him.
(Ha! Training!)

Afterwards we'd hide Squeaky for his own protection. But one day his safe house must have been betrayed or summat and he was discovered; I came home from work to find him somewhat worse for wear. Squeaky was gutted.

Schrodinger's Zebra

You need to confiscate it ASAP in case ZP swallows any. Very dangerous.

We used to tease our big dog Rocky with a squeaky whale enigmatically named Squeaky. The idea was to get his attention with it while training him.
(Ha! Training!)

Afterwards we'd hide Squeaky for his own protection. But one day his safe house must have been betrayed or summat and he was discovered; I came home from work to find him somewhat worse for wear. Squeaky was gutted.
She's fine, but thanks :) She only ever gets her 'soft' toys whilst in our presence (only safe toys e.g. Kong when we're out of the house) - we always make sure she never swallows any. All her toys are kept in a large plastic tub with a lid which she can't open, so we control when she gets them. (She routinely sits beside the tub when she knows it's "toy time".

Aww poor Rocky. Safe house... lol! At first I read that as 'Rocky was gutted' as in upset, but then I see what you mean... literally gutted. Oops.

Funnily enough, ZebraPup's squeaky bird-thing which she has in the car is also called Squeaky... well, Travel Squeaky, to be precise :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Also watching a true crime series called Nightmare in Suburbia, where apparently respectable people in quiet British suburbs murder each other. Mainly over money.

One episode is about an attempted murder in the next city where a wife gave her husband antifreeze in red wine. He survived but is now disabled.

I'll be working in that area next week so I'll ask round, I bet someone knows them!

Schrodinger's Zebra

I got up this morning on my day off determined to clean the whole house and garden and car and everything. All I've achieved is a reasonably tidy bathroom and a lovely cooked lunch. For me. I ate it.
Do you do what we do, and tidy the house by just shifting the messy stuff from the room we want to use, to another room? We do that a lot.

Or is that just us....:mute: