Not Very Interesting Things That Happened Today

ChasFink

Devoted Cultist

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
Got a bird feeder for seed and one for peanuts, and also a less often filled one for fat balls. And they do get emptied by the little guys quite regularly, but the harsh winters really affected the population of some of them, it was a while before there were blackbirds again, and still no sign of a robin. Finches? Forget it, aside from the goldfinch I spotted a couple of weeks ago. But the dunnock is back, that has to be a good sign, and the sparrows and various tits are thriving.
Thistle seeds for goldfinches. We used to get them by the squadron, but have taken all our feeders down recently as the puppy had a penchant for cleaning up pigeon/dove droppings which the vet said was the likely cause of a recent dose of gastroenteritis. We usually had nine feeders up with sunflower hearts, suet, thistle seeds, mealworms and of course I had fat balls.
They will go back up again in time when the puppy is a little bigger and has learned not to hoover up after the pigeons, labradors will literally eat anything.

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
A not very interesting thing that happened (about 10 days ago) for me was that I nearly ripped my index finger off. I was putting a trampoline together in the garden and one of the springs got away from me. The hooked end ripped right through my right index finger width ways. It looked like someone had spilt the skin on a sausage - all sorts of minced stuff had been gouged out by the hook and the blood was pouring.

Eight stitches later and I've been bandaged up for 10 days. However, I checked my stitches last night (as they're due to be taken out today) and I think that I've got nerve damage in my finger tip. One side of it is numb. Also I'm not sure that the stitches are ready to come out so I might wait another day or two before dropping into the surgery.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A not very interesting thing that happened (about 10 days ago) for me was that I nearly ripped my index finger off. I was putting a trampoline together in the garden and one of the springs got away from me. The hooked end ripped right through my right index finger width ways. It looked like someone had spilt the skin on a sausage - all sorts of minced stuff had been gouged out by the hook and the blood was pouring.

Eight stitches later and I've been bandaged up for 10 days. However, I checked my stitches last night (as they're due to be taken out today) and I think that I've got nerve damage in my finger tip. One side of it is numb. Also I'm not sure that the stitches are ready to come out so I might wait another day or two before dropping into the surgery.
Sorry to hear that. Hope it doesn't affect your magic show.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
For a long time, I had wanted Maurice Abravanel's Utah recording of Le Roi David by Honegger.

It was just the ordinary, nerdy desire to own all the records that ever passed through my hands as a junior nerd; one of a diminishing number of those that had proved elusive.

It was only today, after I had nabbed it, when looking for more details, that I discovered a fascinating relationship between the conductor and the work:

Members of the Abravanel family trace their origin to the biblical King David!

Clearly the interpretation to have! Accept nothing less! :buck:

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Saw two painted ladies chasing each other.
My in-laws (west coast of Scotland) report that there are huge numbers of them there at the moment. Apparently the recent influx of hot air from north Africa carried them with it.

l can only imagine their disappointment at their new home.

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

Ringo, that sounds horrific.

Fingers crossed for you--in case you can't manage it yourself.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
We'll have to see but luckily I don't do sleight of hand, more sleight of mind.
Ringo - I had an op on my wrist where one of the more likely side effects was some loss of feeling through nerve damage. Afterwards I couldn't feel patches of my palm or little finger. It was all back within 18 months.

Ringo

Ringo - I had an op on my wrist where one of the more likely side effects was some loss of feeling through nerve damage. Afterwards I couldn't feel patches of my palm or little finger. It was all back within 18 months.
That sounds promising. I hope it's not permanent. I read last night that a severed nerve can regenerate up to 1 mm per day.

Frideswide

Staff member
I can't make promises of course :) but there is hope! Oh dear god that sounds termiminal lololol :oldm:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
My in-laws (west coast of Scotland) report that there are huge numbers of them there at the moment. Apparently the recent influx of hot air from north Africa carried them with it.
Is that the reason? I can barely recall seeing them here before.

l can only imagine their disappointment at their new home.
It's not all heroin addicts round here, you know.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
It's not all heroin addicts round here, you know.
Frideswide said:
Grrrrrrrr!
I love Scotland.

I always used to holiday there when single. When I was courting my wife, we walked the West Highland Way and cycled the length of the Outer Hebrides together. We honeymooned in Ullapool. When I retired, we moved to Skye.

Then my in-laws moved to Ayrshire, and I was introduced to the Ardrossan/Saltcoats conurbation...

To give a couple of examples of the nature of the area: Saltcoats is the only place where I've ever seen a charity shop go broke. Roll that around in your head for a moment: peppercorn rent & rates, volunteer staff and your stock supplied free of charge, yet you can't succeed.

On another occasion, I was sampling the delights of Saltcoats main street when I heard a piper. I love pipe music, so I headed in that direction to listen, appreciate and possibly reward the musician. I was looking forward to a selection of old favourites, perhaps Scotland the Brave, Mairi's Wedding, Flower of Scotland, or The Black Bear?

When I arrived, he was playing Hava Nagila:

My abiding memory of Saltcoats is of a battered mobility scooter, parked on a bed of sodden cigarette butts in the doorway of a shabby pub. In the rain. At 9 o’clock in the morning.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Frideswide

Staff member
the Ardrossan/Saltcoats conurbation...
oh god yes! Friends are trying to make a go of various things there and it's uphill. I got o visit reasonable often and there is an atmosphere that even the sea wind can't blow away :(

I could list other places but it's too depressing.

Speaking of buskers/street performers, have you come across Clanadonia in the wild? Infectious dancing delivered to the hind brain!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
a) Went out on some of my land before 0600, looking for deer: The good news? The farmer has harvested a lot of the crops, so l can now see the deer. The bad news? No deer to be seen. Arse.

b) Just back in from a session at the gym.

c) There’s a pulled pork sandwich in the fridge and a bottle of Malbec in the cupboard, and l’ve got dibs on both of them!

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
a) Went out on some of my land before 0600, looking for deer: The good news? The farmer has harvested a lot of the crops, so l can now see the deer. The bad news? No deer to be seen. Arse.

b) Just back in from a session at the gym.

c) There’s a pulled pork sandwich in the fridge and a bottle of Malbec in the cupboard, and l’ve got dibs on both of them!

maximus otter
I sold two bottles of Malbec today to some woman. Do you know her?.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
A little kid ran past me this morning out of the play area, up to his Grandad and shouted Grandad .. Paul says monsters are REAL but Jenny says they only eat carpets .. then he ran off again.

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
You know when it's so quiet on the streets that it's almost eerie? Well, it was like that this morning in my little corner of Oxford. As I walked around the block, I saw a cat and a man on crutches and precious little else. I was feeling slightly off centre; it was warm and sunny, but too quiet and it felt like the world was waiting for something to happen. I was spooked.

So imagine my emotion as I came back to my house to see a huge bloody crow sat on the gatepost, not a giving the tiniest mouse shit that I was approaching. He blinked his black eyes at me, turned his head, and lifted off with a very ticked off attitude. I stood there contemplating the idea that I had inadvertently walked onto an Edgar Wright film set.

Clearly, the only thing to do was to go inside and watch "Us". That helped!

Ringo

Stitches out and finger healing nicely, we took the kids canoeing and camped on a little island for the night. An island of horrors!!! There were the usual flies and mosquitos but also tons of ticks. I had a pee behind a tree and when I emerged I had 7 ticks crawling on my left leg. I hate ticks so the rest of the evening was spent in paranoia, constantly checking everyones legs and imagining ticks crawling everywhere. I slept terribly and had to paddle back the following day totally exhausted.

So the not very interesting thing that happebed yesterday was that I slept...in a soft bed...with pillows. It was so deliciously soft.