• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Origins Of Earth's Waters

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
NOTE: This thread was originally titled "Snowballed Earth".

Snowballs from Space

Published: January 17, 2004

By JOHN DAY
For the News-Register

Our home, Planet Earth, is a very wet place. In contrast, our neighbor, Mars, is a desert.

Three-quarters of Earth's surface is covered by water. It's mainly in liquid form, though ice exists over the northern and southern polar oceans and water vapor is present in the atmosphere.

Being 93 million miles from the sun, conditions are such that water "sticks" to our planet. All three phases can coexist, so water remains a prominent feature.

Dating of meteorites indicate that our solar system is about 4.6 billions years old. The older sedimentary rocks, formed through processes requiring water, are about 3.9 million years old.

Water must have been present at least that long ago then. It is not clear where this water came from, but the traditional view has been that it was a byproduct of planetary cooling, our seas resulting from the condensation of water vapor originating in the rocks of the Earth's crust.

In the last decade, some new and radically different ideas have emerged from the scientific community, particularly from University of Iowa astrophysicist Louis A. Frank.

Frank took note of mysterious dark spots in high-resolution photographs taken in the high-elevation mesosphere of the polar regions. He hypothesized that they might be house-sized, 40- to 60-ton ice balls from small comets that were entering the atmosphere at the astonishing rate of 40,000 a day.

This far-out hypothesis was not widely embraced by geophysicists. It sounded ridiculous.

But confirming evidence has come from an orbiting instrument launched by the Naval Research Laboratory. It features a high-resolution spectrograph that has detected abundant hydroxol radicals in the high atmosphere - 50 to 80 kilometers up.

These are the byproducts of water. And calculations shown to the American Geophysical Union provide strong evidence that such an extraterrestrial source could account for the entire mass of water contained in our oceans.

Fairly recently, it has been discovered that Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, seems to have an ocean of liquid water beneath a crust of ice. A fuller explanation presents a challenging scientific mystery.

One of water's unique properties is that it is nature's best solvent.

Chemists tell us that the long molecular chains and branching structures of carbon make it the ideal chemical backbone of life. And water is the ideal solvent in which carbon-based chemistry can begin.

Where did this water come from in the first place?

The writer acknowledges a variety of articles found on the Internet for providing the basis for this essay. And they point to a possible answer to that question.

A team of U.S. astronomers has discovered a large concentration of water vapor in a cloud of interstellar gas close to the Orion Nebula. The Orion Molecular Cloud, composed primarily of hydrogen molecules, lies in a particularly good location for new star formation, and water vapor is a byproduct.

Looking in the far-infrared region of the spectrum, astronomers have observed water vapor's characteristic signature.

Could our H2O be stellar stuff itself? An intriguing thought!

John Day is a retired Linfield College physics professor and an avid meteorologist.

http://www.newsregister.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=175456

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, why call this snowballed Earth? "Snowball Earth" is another theory, that our planet has been pretty close to being completely frozen over a few times.

And I think it is the general idea that the water on Earth came from comets back when it was created. But it just came as a surprise I think that we migth still be receiving huge amounts of water that way.

Xanatic said:
Hmmm, why call this snowballed Earth? "Snowball Earth" is another theory, that our planet has been pretty close to being completely frozen over a few times.

I was playing on the snowball earth idea but trying to get the idea that it was like some throwing snowballs at us so we've been snowballed?? No? Ah well sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't - if you have a better idea for the name of the thread I'll be happy to get it changed.

Emps

I would like to coin the phrase "sopping wet universe" to describe this interesting theory. :cool:
If true, it sure is good news for the possibility of life elsewhere in our own galaxy. Abundant water probably means a lot more earthlike planets. A bit of organic matter (also from comets) and some sunshine and thunderstorms, and Bob's your uncle.
Also interesting to Biblical scholars. The Book of Genesis states "...God made the firmament and separated the waters under the firmament from the waters above the firmament..." (Gen.1:7). Just a thought.

Big Bill Robinson

But where is that big wall he used to seperate those waters?

They have also found large clouds of alcohol in space, which should be comforting to many of you.

The water that is present on the Earth today is interesting for many reason; it does not have the same isotope ratio as the water in the comets from the outer solar system,
so probably came from a species of comet which has disappered entirely now.
These comets originated within the orbit of Jupiter, but have all now been flung out of the solar system by that giant planet, or have crashed into Venus, Earth, Mars or Jupiter.

Only on Earth has the conditions been right for the water to be retained; even here the impact of the Big Splash that caused the Moon may well have caused the loss of a lot of primeval water.

If the Earth had never been involved in the Big Splash event, perhaps it would have much deeper oceans- even covering the entire surface as a waterworld;

some French scientists think that ocean covered waterworlds are quite common.

But there is only one Kevin Costner right?

Must be difficult for a civilization to begin on a waterworld. You can't even get to use fire. Unless some floating islands would appear.

I have been reading an article that even though many theories. no one can explain where Earth’s water came from.

When the Earth first formed, it was a very hot mess, and there was no water.

I have been reading an article that even though many theories. no one can explain where Earth’s water came from.

A lot of it arrived as ice from space. Most of it was locked up in the rocks and was released over millions or billions of years by volcanic action and chemical reactions. Yes, it does seem pretty unique.

A lot of it arrived as ice from space. Most of it was locked up in the rocks and was released over millions or billions of years by volcanic action and chemical reactions. Yes, it does seem pretty unique.
This was a question my Dad asked me when I got into Science: where does the water come from ? Is it generated through some hydro-genesis process and if so, is the process still running ?

This was a question my Dad asked me when I got into Science: where does the water come from ? Is it generated through some hydro-genesis process and if so, is the process still running ?
I guess it is still running, as volcanic activity is still very much alive. A lot of what comes out of a volcano when it erupts is super-heated steam. This is from far below, unlocked from rocks that contain the elements.
Look at Mars. It once had oceans, but they all dried up when volcanic activity on the planet ceased. That water mostly boiled away into space.

Read report today that half of the Earth's water may have been created by the sun. Japanese spacecraft Hayabusa collected dust from the asteroid Iyokawa in 2005, which was returned to Earth in 2010. Analysis showed that the sun's solar wind makes water inside particles of space dust in a process known as space weathering (Nature Astronomy) and could account for 50% of the water on Earth. This is interesting !

Read report today that half of the Earth's water may have been created by the sun. Japanese spacecraft Hayabusa collected dust from the asteroid Iyokawa in 2005, which was returned to Earth in 2010. Analysis showed that the sun's solar wind makes water inside particles of space dust in a process known as space weathering (Nature Astronomy) and could account for 50% of the water on Earth. This is interesting !

I don't know whether it's the same one you read, but this new Live Science article covers the story ...
The Sun Could Be The Mystery Source of Earth's Unexplained Water, Scientists Say

Earth is our Solar System's bluest planet, and yet no one really knows where all our water came from.

The dust of a nearby asteroid has now revealed a potentially overlooked source: the Sun.

Some water on our planet, it seems, might have been created by a river of charged particles, blown from the upper atmosphere of the Sun billions of years ago.

When solar wind interacts with the tiny dust particles found on certain asteroids, it can create a small amount of water, and this could explain some of the liquid we find here on our planet.

Most modern models suggest the majority of H20 on Earth originally came from an extraterrestrial source, possibly from C-type asteroids in the Jupiter-Saturn region and beyond. ...

But carbonaceous chondrites probably aren't the only way water was initially delivered to Earth. Other types of water-rich meteorites could have also done the same, especially since carbonaceous chondrites can't account for Earth's entire water budget.

There are other types of chondrite asteroids that could have also held particles of water, albeit to a lesser extent. ...

Solar wind irradiation has been proposed in the past as a possible way to form water on silicate-rich materials floating in space.

In the lab, volatile hydrogen ions have been shown to react with silicate minerals, resulting in water as a byproduct, and electron microscopy and electron spectroscopy studies have found direct evidence of H20 within extraterrestrial dust particles in the past. ...

"This phenomenon could explain why the regoliths of airless worlds such as the Moon, which were once thought to be anhydrous, contain several percent H20," the authors of the new study explain....
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/scient...source-for-some-of-our-planet-s-water-the-sun

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract for the published research report.

Daly, L., Lee, M.R., Hallis, L.J. et al.
Solar wind contributions to Earth’s oceans.
Nat Astron (2021).
https://doi.org/10.1038/s41550-021-01487-w

Abstract
The isotopic composition of water in Earth’s oceans is challenging to recreate using a plausible mixture of known extraterrestrial sources such as asteroids—an additional isotopically light reservoir is required. The Sun’s solar wind could provide an answer to balance Earth’s water budget. We used atom probe tomography to directly observe an average ~1 mol% enrichment in water and hydroxyls in the solar-wind-irradiated rim of an olivine grain from the S-type asteroid Itokawa. We also experimentally confirm that H+ irradiation of silicate mineral surfaces produces water molecules. These results suggest that the Itokawa regolith could contain ~20 l m−3 of solar-wind-derived water and that such water reservoirs are probably ubiquitous on airless worlds throughout our Galaxy. The production of this isotopically light water reservoir by solar wind implantation into fine-grained silicates may have been a particularly important process in the early Solar System, potentially providing a means to recreate Earth’s current water isotope ratios.

SOURCE: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-021-01487-w#citeas

Researchers have continued to dig / drill farther downward in Canada's Kidd Mine, and they've discovered the oldest water known - at least 2 billion years old. ...

I wonder how that water got to be there in the first place?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how that water got to be there in the first place?
Some of it is the product of volcanic activity, some of it percolated down from the surface.
The origin of water deep down may be the result of a radioactive core creating elements and fusing them together, where they are kept in such a superheated state, that they are neither gas, solid or liquid. As soon as this 'stuff' finds its way up to cooler rock, it cools down and condenses, turning into steam. It might meet cooler water that is percolating downwards, where it is cooled even further. Any residual radioactivity dies down and disappears by the time the water reaches an aquifer.
At least, that's my limited understanding of what is going on.

Older than the Sun! I hadn't heard of that one before.

That billion year old water should practically bottle and sell itself!

/please dont sell the water

Back