• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Notes & Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Folklore Frontiers is an independent, non-profit making magazine devoted to folklore, in particular contemporary legends or urban belief tales"

It's at least the early 1990s, 4 issues a year. Published and edited by the wonderful Paul Screeton. The ones I have are A4 folded and stapled to A5

Does anyone want to sell me the issues I don't have? 3:) How many were published? is there an online archive? Any other information?

:nods:

If (for example), UFOlogy is voted the least favourite fortean subject, does that mean the threads will be purged from the Forum and the earth salted ?

I hope not.

If (for example), UFOlogy is voted the least favourite fortean subject, does that mean the threads will be purged from the Forum and the earth salted ?

UFOology had gone out of fashion and has been for a number of years. It's likely that something will trigger a resurgence at some point and I hope so there are some very strange cases out there.

457451-ROFL.gif

UFOology had gone out of fashion and has been for a number of years. It's likely that something will trigger a resurgence at some point and I hope so there are some very strange cases out there.
It's due a resurgence..UFOs, ghosts and Cryptozoology are running on about a ten year popularity cycle each at the mo: the 90s were all abductions and Schwa, 00s Most Haunted and TAPS and this decade the Beasties, so lights in the sky should be back to prominence soon enough (they're all going on all the time of course, it's just the focus and degree of attention shifts with a definite pattern.)

It's due a resurgence..UFOs, ghosts and Cryptozoology are running on about a ten year popularity cycle each at the mo: the 90s were all abductions and Schwa, 00s Most Haunted and TAPS and this decade the Beasties, so lights in the sky should be back to prominence soon enough (they're all going on all the time of course, it's just the focus and degree of attention shifts with a definite pattern.)

Christ SCHWA that's the name I was trying to remember. You can throw in the X-files, Crop Circles and Roswell into mix as well for creating the UFO cultural overkill of the 90's.

I've searched the forums for both 'stone circles' and 'megaliths' but none of the results quite fit what I'm looking for.

Would an account of recent visits by me to a couple of stone circles be better suited to Earth Mysteries or Fortean Traveller? Bearing in mind that neither trip was particularly mysterious in nature, nor did I have to travel very far.

I've searched the forums for both 'stone circles' and 'megaliths' but none of the results quite fit what I'm looking for.

Would an account of recent visits by me to a couple of stone circles be better suited to Earth Mysteries or Fortean Traveller? Bearing in mind that neither trip was particularly mysterious in nature, nor did I have to travel very far.

Either.

I'd favour Fortean Traveller with good details about location/access if possible.

You're right, we could do with a general purpose stone circle thread - we've several small disparate ones. I'd go along with Yith though in your case and put it in "Traveller".

You're right, we could do with a general purpose stone circle thread - we've several small disparate ones. I'd go along with Yith though in your case and put it in "Traveller".

Can it include all things megalithy? Standing stones, runestones, ancient burial sites, things carved into stones? I have a few photos from my Swedish wanderings...

Raising hand in support of a thread for all things megalithy!

UFO is dead; the internet killed it.

Raising hand in support of a thread for all things megalithy!

We don't currently have sub-forums clearly dedicated to (e.g.) archaeology, historical mysteries, and such things.

For the time being I'm usually placing archeological stuff in Earth Mysteries: Historical and Classical Cases. This is hopefully a temporary measure pending establishment of a more appropriate sub-forum.

If it involves a site as a place to personally visit, I'm putting some such items somewhere within Fortean Traveller.

A month or so ago I floated a proposal that includes establishing one or more sections into which such items would more obviously fit, but it'll be some time before anything's decided or the requisite re-organizational work could possibly occur.

A problem is that by subdividing too much the threads can disappear.

INT21.

UFO is dead; the internet killed it.
Nope. The internet caught the tail end of the last UFO predominance in the Fortean canon. The net aids and abets things like this, but as ghosts in the 00s and Crypto in the 10s has shown it's a much bigger thing than any single medium can dominate - if anything TV is the prime-mover, but it's all pervasive.

A problem is that by subdividing too much the threads can disappear.

Yep - it's a balancing act. For example, the Cryptozoology section is well-partitioned into sub-sections for different categories of anomalous beasties.

The similarly large and popular Ufology section is an undifferentiated mess - metaphorically, a Fortean fatberg.

The fact remains that there are popular categories of stories / themes / topics for which there is no obviously relevant 'slot' or 'bin' within the current forum structure.

Stu neville,

...The net aids and abets things like this, ..

I would disagree. In theory the net should be the ideal tool for UFO investigation. What with instant World wide communication, any ongoing occurrence can be flashed around the globe in real time and people can follow the goings on.

Except....The net is crawling with hoaxers, jokers, contactees who have books to write etc.

It is almost impossible to hold a serious discussion about the subject without someone screwing up the thread.

Enola Gaia,

For example, the Cryptozoology section is well-partitioned into sub-sections for different categories of anomalous beasties...

Try sorting the UFO Fatberg into sections, and the best of luck.

INT21

Try sorting the UFO Fatberg into sections, and the best of luck.

INT21

If I presented you with an version of the board five or six ears ago and today's incarnation, you'd probably be shocked at how better classified, labelled and ordered it is. Incremental change is hard to perceive, but I've spent hours and hours filtering and moving and Enola has been outdoing me lately.

We'll get to UFOlogy in due course, rest assured.

I think Earth Mysteries, (bah! out-voted) I've been waiting for this Plankton - hurry up!

If I presented you with an version of the board five or six ears ago and today's incarnation, you'd probably be shocked at how better classified, labelled and ordered it is. Incremental change is hard to perceive, but I've spent hours and hours filtering and moving and Enola has been outdoing me lately.

We'll get to UFOlogy in due course, rest assured.

Never ceases to amaze me the work Yith and Enola has done behind the scenes here.

Trying to find a quotation where I can't remember words :actw:

I don't think it is the wine dark sea epsiode but can't rule it out. I have a memory that it is Ancient rather than Modern

It is about the multi/many laughing/tinkling faces/laughter or water/sea

I need an emotion for *blushing with embarrasment* :(

Trying to find a quotation where I can't remember words :actw:

I don't think it is the wine dark sea epsiode but can't rule it out. I have a memory that it is Ancient rather than Modern

It is about the multi/many laughing/tinkling faces/laughter or water/sea

I need an emotion for *blushing with embarrasment* :(

What's the context? Play, book, poem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back