• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Now It's YouTube

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Turned on the tv last night (Virgin media) From Home Page, selected YouTube.

Got the YouTube page, Got 'Loading'. Then, as the first options appeared, a drop-down asked me if I wanted to sign up for a service that would tailor the options to my preferences.

I opted for 'No' and carried on as usual.

Now, YouTube already does this. If you watch a video, the next ones to be offered will be related to the one you are watching. It's more obvious when using one's computer.

But It seems that Virgin are also into dossier building.

Anyone else experiencing this ?

INT21.

There isn't one, that is why it is in notes and queries.

Have you disabled pop-ups in your browser settings? Some among such intrusive displays can be eliminated by applying blocks in your browser settings. Others can't ...

It only happened with my Virgin Media broadband tv. Not with the computer. So there are no pop ups to change.

However, it hasn't done it since yesterday. Maybe they will try again later.

Do you have a Google account? If so and it's signed in, that might be why recommendations work better on your computer.

What was the name of the service they wanted to sign you up to?

It didn't give a name, just suggested that I might like this more 'personalised' service.

I think the idea was just to stream me more of the stuff I regularly watch.

I do have a Google account. And whenever I change my Ethernet cable from this laptop to my desktop machine They ask me to log in.
Also they send an Email to let me know that another machine was using my connection. On going back to this laptop I get a message acknowledging my return and logging me in.

INT21.

Back