• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nuclear Bunker In Sussex Downs ? (I Kid You Not)

The_Discordian

Mmm... crunchy!
An example of how paranoid people can get down here in the provinces, found in the letters page of the Lancing Herald, cover dated July 31, 2003:

"I know you would not normally publish letters sent to you anonymously, but I have long held suspicions that a new Regional Seat of Government (RSG) has been quietly built into the Downs with its entrances disguised by the many innocuously labelled steel doors lining the A27 tunnel under Southwick Hill. The article in the Daily Telegraph dated July 25, page 20, graphically illustrates the sinister fate of whistle-blowers such as Clive Ponting and Sarah Tisdall.
Your readers will recall that the tunnel's opening was delayed for six months and that it was closed on the night of September 11 and on frequent subsequent occasions for "maintenance" during the Afghanistan and Iraq conflicts, although I have never seen so much as a single malfunctioning light bulb. Any nuclear blast would pass right throught the tunnel, leaving the steel doors undamaged. The bunkers deep inside the chalk hillside could be secretly prepared and maintained, unbeknown to local inhabitants because neither exit can be observed once their approaches have been closed.
Infuriated by the regular night closures, I have often been tempted to investigate on foot, but have been deterred by the TV cameras at both ends and the warning "No Pedestrians" signs, promising prosecution for even taking a look. The authorities will doubtless have plausible explanations, but it seems too coincidental that there is a water reservoir at one end, Tesco at the other (for essential food supplies?) and Shoreham Airport not three minutes away.
If the authorities wish to allay our suspicions, perhaps they can limit tunnel closures from midnight to four in the morning and say just how many light bulbs they have changed in that time?
"

This idea just seems ridiculously full of holes to me, but I leave it open to the rest of you for dissection.

Actually in the BBC Show Spooks (Monday 9:00pm BBC1) the alternative seat of power is located in the Downs. I wonder if they might have got it from actually hard fact?

Into FOAF territory, I fear...

But SFAIK the UK has been littered with government-built nuclear shelters for decades.

The late father of a mate of mine was a bank manager, and was involved in some capacity with the Civil Defence program (whatever the official title of it was). Allegedly there was some big war game (this was prob. in the late 70s) that he had to retire to some big bunker in Ayrshire for the duration of: told my mate that he'd probably be gone a couple of days. Came back barely an hour later explaining to her that there'd been a direct hit on the US base in the Holy Loch, and as a result the whole Clyde valley was now a cluster of smoking, radioactive craters and most of the Central Belt's population were either already dead or wishing they were. The bunker he'd been in -and a big chunk of northern Ayrshire along with it- had been tagged 'destroyed' by Hunterston Power Station going critical as a consequence of damage from the Holy Loch, so the guys running the excercise told him just to go home. Nice of them. :D

all of Uk is riddled with bunkers... every new town hall has one under it.... whitehall had at least as much space uner it as above..

The bunker in Sussex is at Kingstanding. I know because the Police use it for practices and stuff. I don't know if it's much of a secret, but if I stop posting, come find me!

The bunker in Sussex is at Kingstanding. I know because the Police use it for practices and stuff. I don't know if it's much of a secret, but if I stop posting, come find me!

It's not a secret - the decommissioned nuclear bunker and surrounding buildings are used for public order training etc.

The site was originally built for the Aspidistra transmitter in 1942 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspidistra_(transmitter)

Back