• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

NYC Mayor Insists The Official Mayoral Mansion Is Haunted With Real Ghosts

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Gracie Mansion haunted?

NYC mayor insists the official mayoral mansion is haunted with real ghosts​

DAVID PESCOVITZ 11:22 AM TUE MAY 17, 2022

New York City Mayor Eric Adams claims that the Gracie Mansion, the official mayoral home, is haunted… for real.

"I don't care what anyone says, there are ghosts in there, man," Adams commented while visiting the NY Yankees announcer's box during a recent game.

From the New York Post:

Adams laughed while confirming he sees stuff moving around and hears footsteps in the stately 223-year-old country house that became the official mayor's residence in 1942.
"Listen, they're creeping around," he said[…]
If the mansion is haunted, that would be news to historians, ghost hunters and former employees, who told The Post they aren't familiar with stories of spirits, hauntings or undead people lurking around the People's House.
"Absolutely not, I never heard of such idiocy," said Anna Maria Santorelli, who worked as a chef and event manager at the mansion under mayors David Dinkins, Rudy Giuliani and Michael Bloomberg. Santorelli, who sometimes pulled 19-hour shifts feeding the mayor and guests, told The Post she never heard one story of a bump in the night during her many years there.

https://boingboing.net/2022/05/17/n...oral-mansion-is-haunted-with-real-ghosts.html

Allegations that Gracie Mansion is haunted aren't new. For example, here's a relevant snippet from a pre-Halloween 2017 interview with the city's "first lady" about the mansion.
New York City’s first lady talks Halloween and her haunted home
Nikki M. Mascali Posted on October 26, 2017

... Ahead of the three-day celebration that kicks off today, first lady Chirlane McCray may have kept the costumes she and Mayor Bill de Blasio will wear closely guarded, but she did open up about her favorite part of Halloween, what she’s looking forward to most this weekend and those past inhabitants who may still call Gracie Mansion home. ...

... With the ghost of Elizabeth Walcott-Gracie said to haunt the mansion her father built in 1799, have you ever witnessed her or anything out of the ordinary living at Gracie Mansion?

I’ve never seen her, but there are times when doors open and close by themselves, and the floor boards creak as though someone is walking through the rooms.
SOURCE: https://www.metro.us/new-york-citys-first-lady-talks-halloween-and-her-haunted-home/

From reading the Paranormal subReddit, it seems to me that some Americans seem to think that every house older than about 50 years must be haunted. There is an incredible amount of 'xxxxxx happened, and the house is a hundred years old, so I knew it was ghosts (or demons)'. I wonder if there's some kind of perception that age = hauntedness?

From reading the Paranormal subReddit, it seems to me that some Americans seem to think that every house older than about 50 years must be haunted. There is an incredible amount of 'xxxxxx happened, and the house is a hundred years old, so I knew it was ghosts (or demons)'. I wonder if there's some kind of perception that age = hauntedness?
Our house is just about 100 years old, we have done extensive modifications and not a ghost to be heard or seen.

Our house is just about 100 years old, we have done extensive modifications and not a ghost to be heard or seen.
Which is why I said 'some' Americans. I really meant 'the credulous subset' but that seemed prejudicial...

Back