• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Over to Trev and Myth.
tumblr_lrn9b5m2Dx1qgwi7to1_250.gif

Shamefully for a southerner, somewhere along the line I have adopted the mushy peas with my fish n' chips... Not sure when that happened...
It sort of crept south over the years Simon. What used to be a northern exclusive delicacy, now seems to be UK wide. Bit like the traditional Cornish pasty, with those pasty shops at every mainline London train station.

I have said it before on here somewhere. I remember that pranny Peter Mandelson during the 2005 (I think) general election, when he walked into a fish and chip shop in a working-class district of an English northern town, and wanting to appear “normal” asked for fish, chips and some of that lovely guacamole on the side – pointing to a large pot of mushy peas. :hahazebs:. Well cool Mandelson........not :cool:

Shamefully for a southerner, somewhere along the line I have adopted the mushy peas with my fish n' chips... Not sure when that happened...
It sort of crept south over the years Simon. What used to be a northern exclusive delicacy, now seems to be UK wide. Bit like the traditional Cornish pasty, with those pasty shops at every mainline London train station.

I have said it before on here somewhere. I remember that pranny Peter Mandelson during the 2005 (I think) general election, when he walked into a fish and chip shop in a working-class district of an English northern town, and wanting to appear “normal” asked for fish, chips and some of that lovely guacamole on the side – pointing to a large pot of mushy peas. :hahazebs:. Well cool Mandelson........not :cool:
I haven't had any for years, but MrsF had some the other night. She really enjoyed them but said she wouldn't want them again for a while.

I haven't had any for years, but MrsF had some the other night. She really enjoyed them but said she wouldn't want them again for a while.

I don’t mind ‘em to be honest Floyd. Although my sister-in-law is a northern girl, and she has mushy on everything. She’d pour them over cornflakes if my brother didn't object. :)

Mushy peas?
Wedge of Lemon?
Not sure just what mushy peas are, but they sound great! What are they??
And love lemon, my grandmother used to drink a glass of hot water with a lemon squeezed into it first thing every morning. My stomach can't tolerate anything citrus, unfortunately.
Home made Tartare sauce?

Lots of Mayonaise
2 mini gherkins, chopped
20 capers, chopped
teaspoon whole grain mustard.

Mix well.

Add more mayo and enough tomato sauce to turn it pink and you get Thousand Island Dressing.
Sounds delicious, my favorite dressing is Thousand Island!

And love lemon, my grandmother used to drink a glass of hot water with a lemon squeezed into it first thing every morning. My stomach can't tolerate anything citrus, unfortunately.

Ok. Take a bunch of overcooked peas, mush them up until they resemble lumpy snot. Mushy peas.

I eat my peas with honey
I've done it all my life
It makes the peas taste funny
But it keeps them on my knife.

I've always had a problem with that rhyme because you shouldn't eat off your knife, it should be your fork, but then it doesn't scan.

Of course there's always.....
We if cheesy peas are good enough for the local Tandoori Restaurant, then they are good enough for me lol.

Talking of mushy peas. Some years ago a friend of mine had stated dating a native of the fine city of Liverpool, and she had brought him down to London to meet her family.

I was encouraged to take him out for a few beers, which I did, I then suggested we have pie and mash as an early dinner. He didn’t know what to make of it. As we were queuing up for the food, he said ah ah mate, they have forgotten to put the peas in the mushy peas.

He was referring to the liquor bless him. But then if you are not a native of London you wouldn’t what liquor is.

I find mushy peas inedible, and their popularity confounding.
I haven't had them for many years, but I occasionally think about having some. Mind you, when you consider that a lot of us had pasta from a can, they don't seem so bad. Ravioli in cans- a brilliant British innovation! I wonder if we could sell it to the Italians?

We don't have lemons north of Watford Gap services. Too exotic for up 'ere.

We don't have lemons north of Watford Gap services. Too exotic for up 'ere.
You're missing out.
Lashings of salt and 'vinegar' is good too.
I say 'vinegar' because in Fish and Chip shops they don't use actual vinegar, they use 'Non-brewed condiment'.

You're missing out.
Lashings of salt and 'vinegar' is good too.
I say 'vinegar' because in Fish and Chip shops they don't use actual vinegar, they use 'Non-brewed condiment'.
Yes. And proper vinegar is a wonder product along with garlic. (I do partake in balsamic as well, but the really good stuff is very pricey.)

I haven't had them for many years, but I occasionally think about having some. Mind you, when you consider that a lot of us had pasta from a can, they don't seem so bad. Ravioli in cans- a brilliant British innovation! I wonder if we could sell it to the Italians?
Many years ago when I lived in Switzerland my first taste of ravioli was from cans produced by an Italian firm!

Wow, I am wondering why peas would be 'mushed up', they are so soft and mushy already?
Which reminds me, I once had a cat who ate exactly 10 peas whenever we had them for dinner, no more, no less.
The Polish deli here was serving 'Pickle Soup' yesterday - no I didn't have any, LOL!

Back