• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Wow, I am wondering why peas would be 'mushed up', they are so soft and mushy already?
Which reminds me, I once had a cat who ate exactly 10 peas whenever we had them for dinner, no more, no less.
The Polish deli here was serving 'Pickle Soup' yesterday - no I didn't have any, LOL!
The Poles love their pickles! I've been to Poland a couple of times, pickles are impossible to avoid. Fortunately I quite like them (and the sausages, which are much denser than British fare and appear to have actual meat in them).

The Poles love their pickles! I've been to Poland a couple of times, pickles are impossible to avoid. Fortunately I quite like them (and the sausages, which are much denser than British fare and appear to have actual meat in them).
My Polish father loved the kielbasy (sausage) which the stores cook themselves here, with heaps of spices. I like the potato and cheese pierogies with onions, and their apple pancakes, some of their cooks are wonderful.
I like pickles, but if it's like the cabbage soup which they also make, not buying it! LOL

I remember coming home from school (over fifty years ago:omg:) when my grandmother was making pickle; either pickled onions or piccalilli. This involved boiling about half a gallon of malt vinegar. She seemed impervious to the fumes but I spent the next two hours trying to see.
Pickle soup? She'd have loved it.
Another favourite of hers were pickled walnuts, which I found disgusting.
Which reminds me that someone once bought us some walnut liquer. Nobody would drink it think it probably ended up being used to kill woodworm.

Giant R said:
There is an Egypt not too far from me, the name may have been associated with Romany Gypsies who apparently often visited the area.

My grandmother had a lemon squeezed in hot water every morning as well. She lived until she was nearly 102!
My wonderful British grandmother lived to 94, and only passed on then because she had 'old age diabetes' and they had to take her legs off (can't bear to think about that!), she gave up after that. But she was healthy as a horse up until that time!
And I'm not sure what that lemon / water thing was about every morning.

Giant R said:
There is an Egypt not too far from me, the name may have been associated with Romany Gypsies who apparently often visited the area.

It was assumed that they came up from Egypt hence the name Gypsy.

Well that’s what I once read anyway

I was under the impression that “real Gypsies” came up into Europe from India.

It was assumed that they came up from Egypt hence the name Gypsy.

Well that’s what I once read anyway
I remember watching 'Keeping Up Appearances' with Mrs Bucket! And her sister, Daisy, said it was bad luck to cross a Gypsy, or something along those lines. I thought they were great fortunetellers.

Mushy peas are the squished version of marrowfat peas; a large, grey (until dyed green) thing.

Not your regular pea.

But good eating. (except nobody over a certain income bracket will eat them)

I have faggots, chips and peas when I stay in South Wales.

Do the British Online shop stock them? In their wild state they come in tins.

It's never the excellent stuff that gets packed into a can.
Isn't that the truth, an Italian deli in our neighborhood was once owned by the most marvelous woman, she cooked everything herself, and her Lasagna was the best I've ever had, she made 12" x 12" trays, and I used to purchase them 1/2 dozen at a clip and freeze them, because as fast as she made them, they would sell out immediately. I know she used quite a bit of spices, and threw a bay leaf in there as well. Since she closed, I have never found another Lasagna to compare to hers, I'm a good cook and have tried to duplicate it to no avail.
I do make a great pot roast though, according to my husband, and also chicken piccata.

*************WARNING********************

I posted above about RIBENA, the Blackcurrant drink, which I had as a child and teenager.

Bought some today and arrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!!

They have removed the sugar, and replaced it with artificial sweetener Acesulfame-K.

No way will I drink that.

Poured it down the drain.

Now searching for a safer more natural alternative.

Hope to let you know when I have found one worth drinking.

I posted above about RIBENA, the Blackcurrant drink, which I had as a child and teenager.

They have removed the sugar, and replaced it with artificial sweetener Acesulfame-K.

Damn, I was brought up on Ribena. Can't they leave anything alone?

maximus otter

Can't they leave anything alone?
No they can't.
A lot of drinks/foods were found to have become prohibitively expensive in their original form (due to an increase in taxation in the UK on sugar) and as such manufacturers decided to replace the sugar with sweeteners (for which the jury is still out on whether or not they themselves are better or worse than sugar).
I dare say you could import a similar product from overseas and that would still be the 'full-fat' version.

I bought 'Winter Spice' Ribena that you make up with hot water. Expected it to be like fruit punch, not disappointed. :cool:

Chips & Rice with either curry sauce or gravy on top, also known as a "half & half".

A lot of drinks/foods were found to have become prohibitively expensive in their original form (due to an increase in taxation in the UK on sugar) and as such manufacturers decided to replace the sugar with sweeteners (for which the jury is still out on whether or not they themselves are better or worse than sugar).
Lucozade Lite has 50 cals per bottle - how is that supposed to "aid recovery".

No they can't.
I dare say you could import a similar product from overseas and that would still be the 'full-fat' version.

Sugar consumption down:

UK-food-consumption.jpg

Yet average weight increases:

“Between 1993 and 2019, there has been a marked increase in the proportion of adults who are overweight or obese.”

http://healthsurvey.hscic.gov.uk/da...-visualisation/explore-the-trends/weight.aspx

maximus otter

North Yorkshire I wouldn’t swap it for anywhere else in the world.
And I’m not biased

Ah! The evocative odour of stale cat's piss.

Between 1993 and 2019, there has been a marked increase in
....fast food consumption from places like burger chains and chicken shops.

I'd like to see a graph that shows that - I expect it explains a lot, and it wouldn't show on a 'household consumption' chart, which I presume is based on what people buy in supermarkets.

No they can't.
MrsF is always on some diet regime and pays someone most weeks to tell her she's overweight. What I have noticed is that on these schemes she won't be allowed say bread (as bread is Beelzebub himself), but she is 'allowed' stuff that's full of sugar. I drink wine, eat cheese and bread, yet remain an OK weight. I do, however stay away from sugar and sweetners; aspartame and phenylalanine etc.

Do you want to send MrsF round here with some cash? I could make as many remarks as you like about her weight or otherwise if she's willing to pay.

I remember watching 'Keeping Up Appearances' with Mrs Bucket! And her sister, Daisy, said it was bad luck to cross a Gypsy, or something along those lines. I thought they were great fortunetellers.
My grandma used to sometimes rhyme at me: "My mother said, I never should, play with the gypsies in the wood ..." .. offensive slang term these days is usually 'Pikeys' so don't use that term. I've met a few over the years as well as living on a 'traveller' (the term most prefer) site or two. I've had them threaten to trash a café I was cooking in in Skegness, saved a couple of 6 year old traveller girls from getting in trouble because they were shoplifting prawns from us (I caught them and handed them over to their Dad instead of security lol) and dodged a bar work shift when about 60 or so of the f*****s tried to storm a pub I worked in.

Having said that, I've also lived with them, got pissed up and stoned with them at Hatfield Court when the old school hippy author Jeremy Sandford let us live at his crumbling mansion and I'll buy whatever crap they're peddling when they come into town ... so I now own two 'lucky' stones and apparently I'll one day be the father of 4 children .. and the key ring attached to my back door key is a gypsy made wooden clothes peg. I bought 5 of those for about £3 off an old traveller woman in Cromer. Half of them will try to rob you though. Their kids are the worst for that. :) .. they're little bastards.

The English authorities crack down pretty hard on travellers since the mid 80's at least (Google The Battle Of The Beanfields) so most of them have relocated to France and other parts of Europe these days. Glastonbury Festival '92 saw the travellers knock down the fence keeping them out which is partly why there's a patrolled double fence around the festival these days. I was there and it was epic. A group of them bought a field next door to the festival. They refused to move their vehicles at a different illegal rave so the department that deals with unemployment benefit moved their tables to the sites to pay the travellers that way instead. The Criminal Justice Act came out not long after to clamp down on traveller's movements.

Last edited:
Back