• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Immediately post war houses are very good. Extremely solid, great space standards, generally big gardens. There are big swathes of 50s local authority housing that will stand for ever. The only issues are that they're a bit dark inside compared to 60s / 70s stuff and that people in the 50s sure did love their asbestos.

Most of the Victorian stuff I've seen round here seems to have been built from rubble by total cowboys. Then as now people built to a price.
Many Victorian houses were built with little or no foundations. When I worked on sites in the late 70s and early 80s though we were still installing asbestos water tanks and flue pipes and I can remember carpenters sawing 8' x 4' sheets of asbestos to line integral garage roofs.

UK new builds these days are so small that when you go in the front door you're coming out of the back door.

My son and I are in the process of finding a place to rent together and we have very quickly decided to rule out anything built within the last 20 years or so, as the rooms are too small, the houses are too close together, and the internal walls are of paper-thin plasterboard construction.
Also (and this is something people don't seem to notice) there aren't any trees or hedges separating properties - it is all rather flimsy fencing with the adjoining properties all overlooking the garden.
The lack of privacy is dreadful and the one thing that bothers me the most about modern day life. I can't sit outside under our one tree without dozens of gawkers, so I don't.
And nothing is worse than these new constructions, all house and no garden whatsoever. The older the house, the more I like it.
We'll be more than happy when we move out of this area.

Many Victorian houses were built with little or no foundations. When I worked on sites in the late 70s and early 80s though we were still installing asbestos water tanks and flue pipes and I can remember carpenters sawing 8' x 4' sheets of asbestos to line integral garage roofs.
That doesn't sound to healthy.

You guys are too funny!!
Au contraire: we are deadly serious.

Techy at Hockenhull Platts.jpeg

:wink2:

And once again I marvel at the beauty of the English Countryside!
That's a place called Hockenhull Platts in Cheshire. It's where the ancient pathway ran and bridges were built for the packhorses to cross the marshes.

The area is now a wildlife reserve after being saved from being incorporated into a new main road.
This was in 1824 when the aristocratic landowner refused permission for the use of his land.
Well done, the Marquess of Westminster! :curt:

For God's sake watch out for the orange people in their Range Rovers, too busy looking at themselves in the mirror or shop fronts.

I think it depends on the bit of Cheshire in question, the bit I'm familiar with was mostly wall-to-wall Frisian cows.

You mean Frission cows which arrive and promote a feeling of..

Oh fuck it.
Do you mean those thrilling Frisson cows? Or the more dangerous Fission cows?
We sadly don't have Fishin' cows, ever since the inland sea receded about one million years ago.

Maybe they were 'Freezing Cows'.

That's where you go to get ice cream.

(you have to pull the udder one)

Freezing cows? Oh well, someone has to do it...

A farmer came out one morning and was devastated to see that his cows were all frozen solid.
An elderly woman appears and puts her arms around each cow in turn, who immediately begins to defrost.
The grateful farmer is amazed: "Are you an angel descended from heaven?" he asks.
"No" says the woman "I'm Thora Hird".

I love southern England.
Just north a bit of Devon.

Had planned to end up there but pandemic, work, family and circumstance brought me back to Scotland.

Which, well, isn't as good. Sorry, fellow Scots.

Maybe I can retire to Somerset or something and spend my dotage being a volunteer in National Trust bookshop.

Who am I kidding?

Retire????

I'm with only two Facebook groups, but the Ridgeway and Ancient Tracks of Britain has truly glorious photos posted of the very best of England's (pre)historic scenery.

Back