• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Obese man with green blood

drjbrennan

Ephemeral Spectre
There's no link here because I'm looking for it, but my workmates told me this morning of a news item about a very obese man who went in for surgery and was found to have green blood. Too much potassium or something.

Can anybody find the link ahead of me ?

Has Leonard Nimoy put on weight?

You mean this...?

Patient bleeds dark green blood

A team of Canadian surgeons got a shock when the patient they were operating on began shedding dark greenish-black blood, the Lancet reports.

The man emulated Star Trek's Mr Spock - the Enterprise's science officer who supposedly had green Vulcan blood.

In this case, the unusual colour of the 42-year-old's blood was down to the migraine medication he was taking.

The man's leg surgery went ahead successfully and his blood returned to normal once he eased off the drug.

Source

My goodness that was quick, yes indeed that was the story, but not as weird as I thought.

The more specific explanation (same source cited above):

The patient had been taking large doses of sumatriptan - 200 milligrams a day.

This had caused a rare condition called sulfhaemoglobinaemia, where sulphur is incorporated into the oxygen-carrying compound haemoglobin in red blood cells.

Fresh red ink, before it has dried, appears green in certain lighting angles.

Does blood?

That's interesting; chlorophyll sometimes looks red in transmitted light and green in reflected light. Red ink is probably the opposite case.

But I don't think that is what caused this green blood colour effect.

Back