• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Obesity Virus Claim By US Researcher

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,867841,00.html

'A virus that means people might be able to "catch obesity" could play a part in causing steeply rising numbers of those who are seriously overweight, according to an American researcher. '

'The makers of Fat Plague, a documentary film for Channel 4 to be shown on Monday night, organised the first UK screening of people for the virus, called AD36. '

I wonder if this is a windup?

I don't think this is an entirely new theory - Dennis Leary has done a very funny stand-up routine which does a good job of demolishing the 'logic' behind such claims. Aside from that, one assumes that this virus has only evolved into it's present state in the past 50 years?

Pinklefish said:
Doesn't look like it.

In the article some guy at the end says how people eat much more and exercise less these days which is why there are more fat people.
I don't think this is entirely true. For one thing, I've read books set in years gone by, where they eat incredible amounts of rubbish, especially things like beef dripping, dumplings and crackling. I mean, hello?

I remember an Enid Blyton book where the kids are fed all kinds of goo, and aren't considered healthy till they're chubby.
Yeah, but remember that
a) They didn't have central heating, or heating in every room, so they had to burn a lot more food calories than we do in
maintaining body tempretures
b) they really did exercise more - walking, cycling, sport in general, doing manual work, doing housework without modern gadgets (have you ever tried washing and scrubbing the laundry for a whole family by hand, regularly? I have - developed wrestlers' arms!)
c)they generally spent much less time than we do just sitting around being couch potatoes.
d) a lot of their diet may have been high-fat, but they didn't eat as much as we do - they didn't "graze", but had two or three meals a day and nothing in between; and they ate far less sugar, which is nothing but calories - take a look at the ingredients list of most modern prepackaged foods.

This found that one in six of obese people tested positive, compared to none in the non-obese group, according to publicity material released yesterday, although it later became clear that only 15 obese and five non-obese people were tested.

So let me see... 2.5 people obese people had the virus and zero non-obese ones. So it begs the questions...

1) Was the other half of the 3rd obese person virus free?

2) As 1 in 6 obese people had the virus and only 5 non-obese people were tested, wouldn't it have been prudent to test at least one more.

I think someone mistook New Year for April Fool.

If you're referring to my post, then read it again. You'll see that I was making fun of the nonsensical statement, not the subject matter.

But seeing as the subject has been brought up... yes, it is a shame how a person's physical characteristics can be the subject of ridicule. But that's the way the world is, and if you don't do anything about it then you're going to have to accept it. Myself, I'm bald as a coot (I started going bald at 16), short (5'7"), naturally plump, incredibly short-sighted, with teeth like vandalised gravestones. But you know what - I bought some contact lenses, dedicated myself to bodybuilding, saved up and had all my teeth done and now if I get a comment I get a compliment. It took a lot of saving and a hell of a lot of effort, but I managed it.

So sure, I'd be the last person to judge based on how someone looks, but sorry, if you raise the topic then say you can't be bothered but, hey, how about some support, that seems pretty lame to me. I think it's live with it or change yourself, not change the world.

Pinkle. I have to agree with you. I'm a lofty straight 6ft weighing about 84 kgs which is the weight I have been for 10 years now. My bmi is 25 which is overweight, if I was four kilos lighter it would be 24 which is considered normal. :blah:
I can't wear waist baring crop tops but at my age I'd rather not look like britney. I'm by no means "FAT" or "OBESE" but even I get those funny looks from people especially from younger creatures in clothing shops and from people who look like they deprive themselves of every single pleasure including food. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all thin people deprive themselves of food, but like yourself on the opposite spectrum, there are a number of thinnies that eat like horses and get narked that they can only find clothes in the kiddies sections.
Maybe the whole problem is that society seems to have set an ideal, a supermodel if you like, of how people and especially women are supposed to look like without noticing that due to various factors including genetic disposition amongst others, that only a select few look that good and they seem to have wealth and unlimited time for personal trainers and diets. The rest of us are actually normal albeit diverse. The supermodel types are in fact the aliens from space and it isn't fair to judge the rest of us according to them.
Diet is a four letter word and if there wasn't so much profit to be made from diet foods and fads, then perhaps the pressure would be off all of those companies to promote an "ideal" figure.
I really hope that the researchers find substantial proof for a fat virus, afterall wasn't it only a couple of years ago that they discovered that ulcers were caused by bacteria and could be cured by a dose of antibiotics. Or that most heart failure was caused by muscle damage caused by flu sometime in that person's earlier life.
Pink you are most definitely not subhuman because you are fat and damn the lot of those louts for treating you like one.
You can always lose weight if you choose too, they will always be from the sewers and more importantly STUPID. Typical bullies.

OK, folks, let's stick to discussing the alleged virus, not personalities.

The original research used 500 subjects, which is still very low for definitive findings. (The TV 'experiment' was no more than a straw poll.)

As someone with weight problems myself I'll be interested to see if this theory is verified. I had the 'ulcer bug', and the new cure ended years of misery for me - I'd love to think a similar miracle could happen in the obesity department.

I've eaten very little for years now - if I went to a restaurant, I'd have to order a child's portion, as I'm not used to a full meal any more!

Whether this virus is true or not, some ppl do have problems with weight. My friend doesn't eat a lot more than me but she is big and I'm tiny. I don't think you can automatically blame a persons diet for their size, there is something more to it I'm sure. Of course diet figures, but it's not the only cause.
And for further reference, please take into consideration how your post could be taken when directing it at another poster, especially when it could be something you sense they are sensitive about.
*hug* to Pinkle. :)

Sorry desperado but
" bought some contact lenses, dedicated myself to bodybuilding, saved up and had all my teeth done and now if I get a comment I get a compliment. It took a lot of saving and a hell of a lot of effort, but I managed it."
just tells me that you have succumbed to the shallow pretentiousness of the modern world. Anyone ever tell you that you have a beautiful mind or are a lovely person? Or are the compliments just aimed at your magnificent physique?
Pinklefish may be OBESE (according to our stuffed up standards) but she has feelings and if you felt so strongly about all the things that were wrong with you, can't you just find enough empathy for Pink to understand how she feels. Of course being a man may have something to do with it. Not that men don't have feelings but can you honestly say that you went through puberty where your tits exploded, your hormones raged and the weight just piled on. Or that you buried yourself in a choccy cake because a group of girls at school told you that you were fat and no-one would ever want you. Thought not.

I don't want to start a flaming argument here but Pinkle is a respected member of this forum and when the men here understand that women are not fat because they want to be but because they battle with the pressure of being a woman and especially with the idea of perfection perpetuated by men then we shall have a happy friday night.

Pinkle, stop dieting, you are doing yourself more harm than good in the long term. Stop thinking about getting thin and start being happy with yourself. You are putting so much pressure on yourself that you aren't being fair to yourself. And the sooner you realise that food is not your enemy and does not therefore have to be relegated in portions, you will lose weight slowly the way it is supposed to be lost.

Ok I've had enough now, I'm off to ogrish to fight.

Nite all

For the record I doubt the virus theory, but I don't think obesity is a laughing matter at all. It's a serious problem, particularly in the USA. I had a problem with it myself a few years ago, but I've lost well over 3 stone and I look a lot healthier these days. I did this without dieting in any way, shape or form!
Could I make a million from this? Unfortunately not, because all I did was to change my diet and take a lot more exercise.
I am not a medical expert but I will just give my humble opinions on the subject of why some people become obese.
The first reason is, they eat junk. McDonalds, burgers, red meat, white bread, chips, butter, processed food, and very little fresh raw vegetables, fresh fruit, and wholemeal or granary bread. The human body needs vitamins and nutrients, which it cannot get from junk food. If the body is starved of these vitamins and nutrients, it will signal the brain's hunger trigger to demand more food. Unfortunately some people then eat even more junk food, which makes them obese. If you make the switch to healthy, vitamin-rich food, the hunger trigger will key out after a couple of weeks, and you won't feel so hungry.
The second reason is obvious - they don't take enough exercise. No prizes for that one! But the human body needs to be put through its paces, preferably every day. After this computer session I will put my trainers on and run until I'm gasping for breath. My metabolic rate is thus tuned up so that I'm burning more calories even when I'm asleep. (Build up slowly if you haven't exercised for a while).
A couple more points. If you eat one chocolate biscuit, then another, then another, it can be difficult to stop, because the taste is in your mouth. However, if you go into the bathroom and clean your teeth thoroughly with a strong mint toothpaste (any old brand) and particularly, make sure you brush your tongue. Have a good rinse, and your mouth feels so fresh, you will not want any more biscuits, or toast, or anything. It works for an hour or so, and is harmless obviously.
Also, try fasting (nil calories) for one day. A lot of people have never done this in their life. However, it is harmless unless you have a medical condition which makes it inadvisable. When you fast, your stomach shrinks, and the body learns to accept less food. Funnily enough I did it on Christmas day, from 9 p.m. on Christmas Eve to 1 p.m. on Boxing Day (40 hours). Just drink green tea (no milk or sugar). I was introduced to this by a Muslim friend of mine.
Don't eat cheese. It is a very fattening food, and clogs up the arteries, especially very-high-fat cheeses like stilton. Switch to canned fish, which is full of nutrients and much lower in fat.
Personally I eat salad every day. I don't often eat a cooked meal, and I don't eat meat.
This post may sound a bit silly for the Fortean Times board, but I did lose the weight myself this way, and kept it off. So if I've helped anyone at all, it's a pleasure.

Bill.

Well, I've already been accused of being nasty, so I'll word my post carefully...

I'm not knocking the research (not yet anyway) as I really don't know any details as yet, but having only read the preliminary summaries, I don't really understand it.

How many people suddenly become overweight for no explicable reason? Some people will become overweight through eating too much, drinking too much, through genetic propensity, because of a gland disorder or pregnancy or treatment for an unrelated illness, amongst other known factors. But surely if obesity was related to contagion at a rate even approaching what was suggested, people would be gaining weight at unforseen points in their lives and for no apparent reason. And that just doesn't happen.

Again, maybe I've misinterpreted what they're saying but at the moment I don't get it.

pinklefish - reread my posts and satisfy yourself that there is no nastiness there. If you're seriously interested in any aspect of weight loss then I am more than willing to give you advice as I have a fair amount of knowledge regarding nutrition and exercise. If you don't, no problem, but please don't think I'm "having a go" as this simply is not the case.

And as for you, chilli. Cram a sock in it. Put words into someone else's mouth and argue with them. I'm far from interested in your feminist accusations.

I had a problem with it myself a few years ago, but I've lost well over 3 stone and I look a lot healthier these days. I did this without dieting in any way, shape or form!

Pretty good going. But the real point here is that "dieting doesn't work". I think if people had it drummed into their heads "DIETING DOES NOT WORK" then overweight people who wanted to get slimmer would have a better chance. There's nothing like spending 10 years and £10K only to find you're bigger than when you started and you can't even say you enjoyed the experience.

Ok consider me socked. But I still think you succumbed.

Well, maybe, but mainly it's for me. I'm still f#####g ugly, though, can't change that... :cross eye

Wenna - it sounds like your husband has consulted the wrong doctors. Unfortunately there's a staggering amount of dietry ignorance in the medical profession - many doctors know less about what makes somebody overweight than the average school kid. And I'm not even joking.

On a general note, diet is very secondary to exercise as far as fitness and weight loss goes (and I appreciate that with diabetes high-intensity exercise is not necessarily a good idea). I lost fat very rapidly on 4,000 calories and 7 meals a day. True, it wasn't Mars Bars and fry-ups every meal, but as long as you're sensible you can get away with eating pretty much what you want as long as you get the exercise. But the converse isn't true. Eat fruit and salad three times a day without exercise and you'll probably gain weight in the long-term.

That's why sometimes I'm amused when I hear people ask "why do all the bad foods taste so good?" as if it's some kind of grand irony perpetrated by some mean-spirited Cosmic Joker. The answer is, because they're not bad foods. Fat does not harm you and neither does cholesterol or anything else - as long as you get exercise. The reason why fatty foods taste so good is that in times past when we lived in caves and went hunting every day, fat (in food) was essential for survival. Salads weren't. Fat gives you energy. Cut out fat from your diet and you have no energy. No energy = no exercise. No exercise = put on weight. Sorry, all you Weightwatchers out there, but you're onto a loser.

I'm not sure the idea of fasting should be recommended to anyone wanting to lose weight. :err:

Spooky angel said:
I'm not sure the idea of fasting should be recommended to anyone wanting to lose weight. :err:

Thats right , I'm sure I read if you stop eating your body panicks as it thinks a famine has cropped up and promptly stops burning off calories , therefore you stop losing weight!

Remember there is a genetic component in all this , some races of people will put on enormous weight if they switch from their traditional diet to a processed Western one and these genes are spread among the populations of the world ( humans being the great travellers that they are) .

As for losing weight , I just make sure I eat regularly , eat about half what I used to in each meal and make sure what I eat is as low fat as possible (within reason , you need some fat, I usually use butter as it is natural and less processed than marge) and I have lost nearly 3 stone in a year doing that!I am so much healthier for it.

Desperado said:
But the converse isn't true. Eat fruit and salad three times a day without exercise and you'll probably gain weight in the long-term.
So, what you're saying is, as I have M.E. and can't get much exercise, I'm destined to remain at least a stone overweight for the rest of my life? :( I think I may as well slash my chubby wrists.

beakboo - in the nicest possible way, if you're that depressed at being a stone overweight then your problem isn't one of size, it's one of perception and perspective.

And exercise doesn't necessarily means 4hrs jogging or 400lb squats. A 20 minute walk most days, combined with sensible eating and plenty of water, would - in most people - be enough to remove a few extea pounds.

Desperado said:
beakboo - in the nicest possible way, if you're that depressed at being a stone overweight then your problem isn't one of size, it's one of perception and perspective.
I appreciate what you say, but I do need to lose weight for health reasons. Being an "apple shaped" woman, rather than the usual "pear", apart from being bad for the heart, makes me more likely to get ovarian cancer, which runs in my family unfortunately. Also, dragging an extra stone around isn't going to help my energy levels.
I just posted on the new year resolutions thread, that I'm going to dig out my old pedometer, which will enable me to gradually build up activity (hopefully), I've been on a "remission plateau" far too long.

I didn't ignore a thing. As the only two points I made relating to your post were agreeing with you, I fail to see a root cause for your sarcasm. I shan't reply to your troll, other than to say that perhaps it's the subject matter, or perhaps it's because I've been away from this board for a while (yes, I've been here a l-o-n-g time, under another name) but it seems like you can't state your own views any more for fear of someone getting jumped up ideas and huffing indignantly.

So yes, everything you say is correct. Everything I say is wrong. Happy now?

Anyway, I'm outta this thread. It's become tedious.

escargot said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,867841,00.html

'A virus that means people might be able to "catch obesity" could play a part in causing steeply rising numbers of those who are seriously overweight, according to an American researcher. '

'The makers of Fat Plague, a documentary film for Channel 4 to be shown on Monday night, organised the first UK screening of people for the virus, called AD36. '

I wonder if this is a windup?

:eek!!!!: :_omg:

We're doomed, doomed I tell you!

I read the article and was worried about it, until I read Annasdottir's post, which made a lot of sense . . . whew!

Carole

Whilst I agree with some of the posters on this thread that dieting (reducing intake)on its own isn't usually the answer to combating obesity, changing one's diet can sometimes make a huge difference to one's weight - even without exercise. In particular, I'm thinking about undiagnosed food intolerances.

Food intolerances are rarely as dramatic or obvious as food allergies and therefore many people suffer all kinds of symptoms (from recurring 'colds' to IBS) without ever associating their ills with the gluten, dairy or whatever food it is which is causing it.

Once they recognise the source of their symptoms and cut that food out of their diet, their whole body (which has been constantly mildly poisoned) starts to function better... and this includes the metabolism.

Even without exercising or cutting back on the amount of food I ate, I lost almost two stones in just over a month, simply by recognising which foods weren't doing me any favours.

Anyway, back to the real topic -

Although it sounds like a load of wishful thinking, there is truth in what Dashwood says. The Hay diet did wonders for me when I was in bad shape. Perhaps I should give it another go, not sure if things are bad enough yet.
Anyone interested in the Hay diet, PM me.

As somone who has lost 8 and a half stone in 18 months I feel I have something to add to this discussion.

First I'd like to say that anyone with an extreme weight problem did not put on all that weight because they wanted to or because they're lazy. Extreme weight problems, particularly in children or young people, are caused by emotional/mental disorders or disorders of the apetite pathway.

I had a problem with the apetite pathway - the chain of enzimes that controls apetite. For most of my life I was always hungry unless my stomach was full. Every time you fill your stomach it stretches a little bit so it takes a little more food to fill you up the next time.

The treatment was a diet which also helps ME. All I had to do was give up everything I like eating. And beer. And tequila. I'm not going to publish the details on an open forum because this diet is incredibly dangerous without medical supervision. If you want more information you can PM or e-mail me.

It's important to remember that most calorie controled diets do not work. All a traditional 'diet' will do is give you an obsesive relationship with food.

If you only have a couple of stone or less to loose don't go on a diet. Eat less fat and do more excercise. If there are particular foods you tend to pig out on then cut them out entirely or try eating them in a different way. For all you chocoholics I reccomend giving up the Mars bars and the like and switching to quality chocolate. Green and Black's organic chocolate will satisfy your coca cravings much more quickly (particularly the dark chocolate) and it's actually good for you (as long as you don't over do it).

I know someone who lost 2 stone just by cutting out all proccessed foods and going back to actually cooking all her meals.

And remember exercise does not just mean joining a gym or dressing up in lycra and being humiliated by an aerobics instructor. Try a half hour power walk after meals. Take up Tai Chi or Yoga. Try using fewer labour saving devices or taking the stairs insted of the lift.

Cujo

I'm not sure the idea of fasting should be recommended to anyone wanting to lose weight.

Notice I said "fast for one day". I agree that if you did it for any longer, at least the first time, it would do more harm than good.
However, fasting for one day clears the system, allows the stomach to have a rest and shrink a little: it's also good for self-discipline, and anyway it makes you feel so much sharper mentally. Mental fuzziness is sometimes caused by all one's needs having been satisfied.
My last 3 fasts have been 43 hours, 36 hours, and 40 hours. Not too long, but long enough to allow my system to "catch up" and have a rest.
Just my tuppence worth.

Big Bill Robinson

A day is 24 hours, not 43, 36 or 40.
Fasting is still not a good idea. Ppl who are obsessed with their weight are likely to try fasting for longer periods, especially if they find they lose weight in that time.

Cujo said:
Try a half hour power walk after meals. Take up Tai Chi or Yoga. Try using fewer labour saving devices or taking the stairs insted of the lift.
Well why didn't I think of that? :hmph: After all, anyone can do power walking and use stairs. :rolleyes:

'The politics of thin'

http://www.observer.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,868601,00.html

Not so much a news story, more an opinion peice.

It's a bit long to include in the thread so you'll have to use the link.

I must say that as a VERRY thin man (8.5st, 6" tall) I find my weight does afect my life. This may be inthat I can't get clothes to fit me or that I constantly have people comenting on my weight (they usualy think it's disgusting) and if i'm asked if I'm anorexic one more time I'll kill. Added to this are problems with receving knocks and bumps (they hurt far more.)

The articil's argument that thin is celebrated is far from true just look at the stick Clarisa Flockheart got, the obsession over 'Posh' Spice's size and, ofcorse, my own experence of peoples distaste.

If you're noticibly fat or noticibly thin you'll get pointed at in the streets. Thought it's harder for the overweight as sociaty hates them more.

Whatever happend to the celebration of overweight, rossie-cheaked people? And is our problem realy with obeasity or with issues of consumption?

Back