• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Obituary Of A Hermit? (Józef Stawinoga; "Fred The Tramp")

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Does anyone remember what FT issue featured the obituary of an elderly man who lived as a hermit, sleeping rough in a tent, I think near a main road (in the U.K) for years? I remember reading that he was a very interesting man with experiences during WWII. I've searched for his name and further info but haven't found anything online so far. I think it was from around 2007.

Was it Josef Strawinoga, known as Fred the Tramp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVIBogH50q8

One of two Polish characters of that period, who seemed to have traumatic reasons for odd behaviour. The other was the rubbish-hoarding Mr Trebus, who owned a house but filled it with trash and lived a feral life that was somewhat trying to his neighbours. Celebrity oddballs. :(

Oh I remember Mr. Trebus from Life of Grime. You've got got it, it was Josef Strawinoga (also Polish) I was thinking of, thanks. I was reading about F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre's death and it led me to remembering Strawinoga's FT obituary. I see there's a Facebook page, 'Fred The Tramp Off The Ring Road ( Not The Same Wolvo With Out Him )' And apparently a bronze statue of him is being made.

Back