• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Object In The Sky Over Elstree (June 2019)

Cecil Baargs

Junior Acolyte
It was a bright, clear Sunday afternoon in June and I was looking up at the sky from my balcony window when I saw a faint spherical object hanging in the air at about cloud level (it seemed). I reached for my binoculars and focussed in on what was a light-coloured slightly squashed sphere-shaped object. Thence I ran for my charged-up Panasonic HC-VX870 4K camcorder with 20x optical zoom (not digital, we don't want any artefacts at this point!) and on returning maybe 30 seconds later, the object looked to have moved directly away from my standpoint, being much smaller and fainter. It was therefore tough to find it in the flip-out viewfinder of my camcorder once I started shooting (I have to say an optical viewfinder would've been much more efficacious in scanning the clear blue sky for the object) but the camera infra-red focussing did catch it on film for a moment or two. I'm not very savvy with video material being more of a stills photographer, so would any analyst out there care to download a copy of the raw, untouched 4K video file and see if they can enlarge the object appreciably in order to better speculate on what it is. I'll warn you there's a fair bit of swinging of the camera in the footage as I was pressing to get back to the balcony to begin filming and, against that wide flawless blue sky, it was damn hard to get the object in my sights. But I did finally. See what YOU think it was? There can't be that much camcorder footage of this kind of thing that's in 4K and shot on a good piece of kit. If only I could've seen it sooner when it was closer to me.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bc54vcd8jk34vi8/UFO copy.MP4?dl=0

Couldn't see anything but sky.

My bad. Sorry. The dot becomes visible at about 25s and 41s in. My Mac is too slow to allow me to playback the footage with pinpoint accuracy so I cannot sadly be more precise. But once you've seen it, you'll see it, as it were.

No - still can't see it.

Had you thought about drawing a circle round where it is?

Yep, thought about it but iMovie is a useless program and my Mac won't allow it. So here is a humble screen grab at 25s in or thereabouts. Remember this is the same object I'd already seen one minute earlier and not a bird (I'd checked it out through binoculars). It is NOT a speck on the lens but it IS pretty tiny so you WILL have to scrutinise the footage almost frame by frame to perceive it.
Dot.jpg

Yep, thought about it but iMovie is a useless program and my Mac won't allow it. So here is a humble screen grab at 25s in or thereabouts. Remember this is the same object I'd already seen one minute earlier and not a bird (I'd checked it out through binoculars). It is NOT a speck on the lens but it IS pretty tiny so you WILL have to scrutinise the footage almost frame by frame to perceive it.View attachment 19563
OK, thanks. It is tiny. No wonder I missed it!

Indeed. Yet it's there and it's not a bird or a plane. And not a balloon (the wrong colour for that - if you recall I saw it thru binoculars first). Intriguing.

I couldn't see anything either, can you let us know the time stamp? Interesting post too!
Please ignore my request because I've now read the other replies and have seen the mysterious object. I honestly believe that your "gut feelings" tell you if what you are seeing is unidentifiable. Can you recall if you felt you were witnessing something strange?

The object seems to be moving awfully fast. You say it was "hanging in the air" when you first saw it, do you mean the object was motionless at that point? If so, when did it begin to move?

The object seems to be moving awfully fast. You say it was "hanging in the air" when you first saw it, do you mean the object was motionless at that point? If so, when did it begin to move?
It appeared motionless when first observed but, on reflection, it may have been moving slowly away from me in almost a straight line all the while. Its visibility changed appreciably inside a couple of minutes so I reckon it was always in motion. I see a plethora of different aircraft pass over my house all the time - I'm on the flightpath to Luton airport and there is Elstree aerodrome less than a mile away. This object did not behave like any of the aircraft I've witnessed. It had no visible wings for one thing. Most likely it was a drone. Dunno what it was doing over Borehamwood, if that's what it was. I was (and am) hoping that someone can take my 4K footage and enlarge the (brief) focussed shots of the object so we can get a better idea.

It appeared motionless when first observed but, on reflection, it may have been moving slowly away from me in almost a straight line all the while. Its visibility changed appreciably inside a couple of minutes so I reckon it was always in motion. I see a plethora of different aircraft pass over my house all the time - I'm on the flightpath to Luton airport and there is Elstree aerodrome less than a mile away. This object did not behave like any of the aircraft I've witnessed. It had no visible wings for one thing. Most likely it was a drone. Dunno what it was doing over Borehamwood, if that's what it was. I was (and am) hoping that someone can take my 4K footage and enlarge the (brief) focussed shots of the object so we can get a better idea.

Very similar to one that a friend took at a cricket match we were playing in at Burton Court in Chelsea in 2008. You can see at least 3 or 4 objects seemingly at different heights. The objects just seemed to come in to focus suddenly, but didn't appear to be moving. I would love to know what they were, but they can definitely be described as UFOs.
IMG_0404.jpg

It was a bright, clear Sunday afternoon in June and I was looking up at the sky from my balcony window when I saw a faint spherical object hanging in the air at about cloud level (it seemed). I reached for my binoculars and focussed in on what was a light-coloured slightly squashed sphere-shaped object. Thence I ran for my charged-up Panasonic HC-VX870 4K camcorder with 20x optical zoom (not digital, we don't want any artefacts at this point!) and on returning maybe 30 seconds later, the object looked to have moved directly away from my standpoint, being much smaller and fainter. It was therefore tough to find it in the flip-out viewfinder of my camcorder once I started shooting (I have to say an optical viewfinder would've been much more efficacious in scanning the clear blue sky for the object) but the camera infra-red focussing did catch it on film for a moment or two. I'm not very savvy with video material being more of a stills photographer, so would any analyst out there care to download a copy of the raw, untouched 4K video file and see if they can enlarge the object appreciably in order to better speculate on what it is. I'll warn you there's a fair bit of swinging of the camera in the footage as I was pressing to get back to the balcony to begin filming and, against that wide flawless blue sky, it was damn hard to get the object in my sights. But I did finally. See what YOU think it was? There can't be that much camcorder footage of this kind of thing that's in 4K and shot on a good piece of kit. If only I could've seen it sooner when it was closer to me.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bc54vcd8jk34vi8/UFO copy.MP4?dl=0

I've analysed the video this morning - this is what I have managed to find:

#1 Not one, but two - UFO type objects are in view - top right of frame shot.
#2 UFO drops away from UFO object above moving towards left of shot.
#3 UFO moves further towards the centre ground in shot.
#4 Shows clearer definition of the UFO.
#5 UFO shows a shape-change becoming more spherical.
#6 Shows extreme enlargement of UFO.

Attachments

• #1.png
    #1.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 23
  • #2.png
    #2.png
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • #3.png
    #3.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 23
  • #4.png
    #4.png
    482.9 KB · Views: 22
  • #5.png
    #5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • #6.png
    #6.png
    337.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Great stuff! Cecil! Ufology at its very best!

You reject the idea that it could be a balloon on grounds of it being the `wrong colour`. I am really not sure what you mean.

In May 2014, when the sky was much the same as in your sighting, I observed, over Moscow, three white points of light that just seemed to be hanging there. I looked at them for quite some time, mystified and a bit excited. One of the objects looked sort of delta shaped, the others were difficult to put a shape to owing to their distance, But they were bright white in colour. They moved very slowly with no clear intent. (At that time I only had a Nokia phone and so couldn't snap them. Even if I had the results would have added nothing much more to my description, I'm sure).

I have since concluded that these must have been high altitude meteorological balloons. It seems to me that this sighting resembles yours and Ken Owl's. So I would go with weather balloon.

Thanks for your input. I was there referring to 'party balloons', helium-filled and which can reach quite some height. These are typically brightly coloured, not plain like my object was.

Interesting stuff. I don't know anything about weather balloons, but would you expect to see more than one in close proximity?

Aren't they dangerous to air traffic? Where I saw them must be some of the busiest skies in the world.

My sky is/was VERY busy - flightpath to Luton Airport along with a nearby airfield. No chance then it was a drone at that altitude nor a weather balloon. As you've all, I hope, seen from my film there WAS something there that didn't look an aircraft.

AFAIK there was only one object ('balloon') in my sighting.

A good deal of the UFO type objects I've analysed have turned out to have another 'hidden orb,' or UFO distant object in view - only 'encountered' when enlarging a video in slowest play sequence!

Last edited:
Back