• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Objectophilia / Objectum Sexuality: Loving & 'Marrying' Inanimate Objects

And I recall Don McLean singing a song about the love for one of his cars too. La la I love you.

Then there's Led Zep's Trampled Under Foot -

Greasy slicked-down
Groovy leather trim
I like the way ya hold the road
Mama, it ain't no sin
Talking 'bout love
I'm talking 'bout love
I'm talking 'bout

Ooh, trouble-free transmission
Helps your oil's flow
Mama, let me pump your gas
Mama, let me do it all
Talking 'bout love

etc

Dunno how he ever sang that without laughing, I can't!

...featured a guy who genuinely was in love with one of his motor vehicles. He was quite open about it and was shown fondling it, caressing and kissing it and fully admitted to having intercourse with the exhaust pipe.
I really hope he let it cool down first.

I'm also thinking of the Kwik-Fit song now, for some reason.

I wish it were possible to gain independant confirmation regarding objectophilia. I strongly-suspect most of it is artful posturing, rather than a true intrinsic desire.

What do you believe?

If it is an artistic act, it’s not an original one. Just put ‘woman marries’ into google and you’ll see train station, fence, horse, dog, eiffel tower amongst other things.
And didn’t Tracey Emin marry a rock? And more recently a woman married a dead pirate’s ghost.

As an aside, Assassins Creed Odyssey's loading screen contains a little nugget that the greeks would put inanimate object on trial in court.

I mentioned Ballard before, but has anyone here read Crash? Grim.

Surely the question about consent should be asked here - you can't (and quite rightly) marry someone who is judged unable to give 'informed consent'. Yet you can 'marry' an inanimate object that is, by definition, unable to give any kind of consent at all. So we presume that these inanimate object have no feelings or emotions to be transgressed by this 'marriage'?

There is a next stage to this, which I don't even want to think about...

Surely the question about consent should be asked here - you can't (and quite rightly) marry someone who is judged unable to give 'informed consent'. Yet you can 'marry' an inanimate object that is, by definition, unable to give any kind of consent at all. So we presume that these inanimate object have no feelings or emotions to be transgressed by this 'marriage'?

There is a next stage to this, which I don't even want to think about...
Thorny issue, can dildos give consent? I would argue that with no meaningful consciousness, there is not issue.
However, I guess it's something that's going to come up with increasingly intelligent sex robots in the future.

But how can you fall in love with something that has no agency? Surely there has to be a degree of love to necessitate marriage - and if the love is all one-sided, then it's not called marriage, it's called a hostage situation...

But how can you fall in love with something that has no agency? Surely there has to be a degree of love to necessitate marriage - and if the love is all one-sided, then it's not called marriage, it's called a hostage situation...
I guess it's a weird psychosexual situation, like a fetish, rather than what we usually call love, which implies mutuality (though 'unrequited love' does rear its head)

Will she have a lil pillow?
There may be no product from their union, for she will be of natural fibres, but I bet her lover will be polyester hollow fibre.

These low-tog layabouts think nothing of lying on top of human females all night, then just slip off onto the floor without a sound or a backward glance.

And have it baptised?
30mins @40deg synthetics with a spin-cycle. But no conditioner. You can't let them grow-up too soft, y'know.

and if the love is all one-sided, then it's not called marriage, it's called a hostage situation...

Exactly. It may be that this poor duvet has already been taken. It could already be in a meaningful same-species LTR with a fitted Egyptian kingsize sheet that has its folds in all the right places (and you know what I'm talkin' about, sister....well, actually, if you do, please tell us)

One of the things about autism is a capacity to like, be interested in, value and cherish objects in the way NTs behave with people.

Given most people I'm always vaguely surprised that more NTs don't go down the valued objects route :)

I don't know of anyone who has a sexual aspect to this though. Plenty of people who use objects as analogies for themselves, their experiences and their emotions.

PS I'm assuming that people know that autistics are just as emotion full as NTs?

BWHAHAHAHAHA! no!

Neurotypical - the base line "normal". People who have some difference are neurodiverse - which includes autistics. And "everyone except the autistics" is allistic.

Very useful terms when you are talking about inclusive/exclusove behaviours. access and so on.

And NONE of them are rude or dismissive :)

Thorny issue, can dildos give consent? I would argue that with no meaningful consciousness, there is not issue.
However, I guess it's something that's going to come up with increasingly intelligent sex robots in the future.

Anyone seen Humans? That did not end well with Niska.

And what if even your sex robot doesn’t want you?

In Japan, dakimakura ('waifu pillows'/hug pillows) have been around since at least the '90s. Here's an article about their emerging technological future:

Waifu Pillow Advances Could Mean a Sexless Future for Japan

By far, the standout marriage between dakimakura and technology on display in Akihabara were the talking pillows. The brainchild of Kouchi Uchimura, these pillows come with sensor pads attached to a central relay that pairs to the user's smartphone. After placing the pads on key zones around the pillow (breasts, butt, genitals), the user can caress it and hear—in one of 200 available voices—their bedtime companion coo, moan and even scold, should the groping get too rough.

Each time we have a new 'crazy person marries object' thread I insist on editing the title to include inverted commas around the verb 'marries'.

Is there a single jurisdiction or religion in which marriage to inanimate/non-sentient objects (or even animals) is permitted by rule or law?

I insist on editing the title to include inverted commas around the verb 'marries'
I agree and disagree with your reasoning.

Firstly (and mainly) the use of quotation marks around the word to show our collective disbelief in the transapplicable sanctity of the state of marriage in this case then neutralises it as an instance worthy of comment and analysis.

Put it another way: everyone reading the source news-piece prepresumes (at least for the duration of that moment) that the human in this relationship does earnestly-believe that what they're doing is real, for them. That's got to be the instant underpinning expectation.

So for this to happen (yes, it is collusion, I agree) we need to adopt partiality in the perception of the incident, at least for the purposes of an initial fielding of the thread. A kind-of non-judgemental transient naivity.

The second way in which the use of 'sarky quotes' is (perhaps, arguably) neither required nor entirely-appropriate in this instance is that there is also a common-root non-human inanimus meaning for the word "marry" as in to match, pair-up (eg socks) or in the sense of alignment (eg "to marry-up the parts" in a construction). It's headed for being a bit archaic in usage (I think...as am I) but do you follow the sense in my caveat? A non betrothal-based unconsummatable match of a marriage...?

No sarcasm, it's as impossible to marry a duvet as it is to adopt a toaster or sue a window pane.

Inverted commas denote novel, irregular or claimed usage, not an ideological bias.

Earnest belief is interesting from a psychological standpoint, but a very silly criterion for truth.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”

Language is a social construct, you don't get to be master if you wish to communicate successfully.

No sarcasm, it's as impossible to marry a duvet as it is to adopt a toaster or sue a window pane.

Inverted commas denote novel, irregular or claimed usage, not an ideological bias.

Earnest belief is interesting from a psychological standpoint, but a very silly criterion for truth.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”

Language is a social construct, you don't get to be master if you wish to communicate successfully.

Yup, we're watching a TV series about a serial bigamist. His last 'wife' discovers that she wasn't legally married to him and neither was anyone else, apart from his first wife from whom he was never divorced. So she was his 'wife' not wife, and is now his 'widow' not widow.

Back