• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Objectophilia / Objectum Sexuality: Loving & 'Marrying' Inanimate Objects

Along with the whole 'consent' thing - these people who seem to be marrying objects 'for a bit of a laugh' or for publicity or whatever... does that not 'cheapen' the whole idea of marriage? I'm not a huge fan or supporter of marriage, but surely there has to be a bit of solemnity about it? Otherwise it will turn into 'Oh, yeah, Ugly Mike, I married him for a bit of a laugh and to put the pics on my profile, I didn't really mean it and it's not a real marriage, is it?'

Along with the whole 'consent' thing - these people who seem to be marrying objects 'for a bit of a laugh' or for publicity or whatever... does that not 'cheapen' the whole idea of marriage? I'm not a huge fan or supporter of marriage, but surely there has to be a bit of solemnity about it? Otherwise it will turn into 'Oh, yeah, Ugly Mike, I married him for a bit of a laugh and to put the pics on my profile, I didn't really mean it and it's not a real marriage, is it?'

I actually think they are sincere, they just don't interact with other people well and prefer a "relationship" with a object they can project a personality and reciprocation onto. According to the article, it might be a form of autism. Don't know what our resident autistics think of that, though.

Screenshot 2022-01-19 231428.jpg

www.metro.co.uk/2022/01/10/woman-marries-the-colour-pink-after-dating-it-for-40-years

I still think this type of love affair is nothing more than installation-art-meets-over-indulgent-satire.....

Whilst marrying 'a colour' seems like a really extreme piece of pointless posturing to me..... I'm equally-puzzled by the concept of marrying yourself. Maybe I'm just a boring literalist with no imagination (ps I'm not)

www.metro.co.uk/2021/08/26/woman-marries-herself-to-defy-social-expectations

Who gets what if they divorce?
True - she might be left a whiter shade of pale, by an adverse settlement. Whereas the colour's new suitor would then be in the pink...

And if one was to divorce oneself - well: you'd just be beside yourself with rage, if you found-out you'd been cheating on you. You might never forgive yourself- and you'd know that no-one was really to blame apart from you.....

The World has truly gone mad, people will do anything for fifteen minutes of fame.

My friend has just got a bungalow, and i have been trying for hours to get thro to British Gas and Severn Trent, it is impossible, they backed up with calls, and the gas and electric needs turning on, someone else is going to try tomorrow as i was having a bit of a paddy, had to step away as i was getting a headache.

This January 2020 news item describes a German woman's passion for the airplane of her dreams.

Here's a different German woman who's attracted to the Boeing 737 and wishes to marry one of the 50 model aircraft of that type she owns.
Woman who is sexually attracted to planes wants to marry toy Boeing

A woman in love with a plane insists her desire is not a flight of fancy.

Sarah Rodo, 23, even refers to the Boeing 737 as her boyfriend.

She flies on the aircraft as often as possible and has 50 replica models of the plane at home.

Sarah calls the Boeing Dicki and hopes to wed one day, even though it is illegal in Germany.

The Dortmund resident identifies as an Objectum Sexual, meaning that she is sexually attracted to inanimate objects. ...

She has also been in love with a train.

Sarah said: “My plane is called Dicki.

“I love everything about him, but particularly his face, wings and engine — they’re so sexy to me. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos): https://nypost.com/2022/05/31/woman-sexually-attracted-to-planes-wants-to-marry-toy-boeing/

Whilst I cannot ever take these claimed infatuations seriously (and consider many of them to simply be posturing and pantomime), it suddenly strikes me that I'm probably wrong, and that some people who identify as being objectophiles genuinely are sexually-attracted to unconventional inanimate objects (by which I'm obviously not including vibrators / sex-dolls etc).

But the corollary from this is that (presumably?) some of these claimants must have been physiologically-tested by sexologists, in a Masters-and-Johnson style of libidometric, stimulation-level measurement setting, and found to be genuinely aroused by the object of their claimed desires?

Whilst I suppose that some degree of self-conditioned reflex could become ingrained in reaction to anything: does this then also mean that it would be physiologically/psychologically possible for primates to genuinely become sexually aroused (at some level) as a consequence of any form of focused mental stimulation? This is very odd - perhaps I'm just unable to properly-empathise with the 'condition' (or perhaps I should say....the extended infinite spectrum of multi-modal normalities)

View attachment 50918
www.metro.co.uk/2022/01/10/woman-marries-the-colour-pink-after-dating-it-for-40-years

I still think this type of love affair is nothing more than installation-art-meets-over-indulgent-satire.....

Whilst marrying 'a colour' seems like a really extreme piece of pointless posturing to me..... I'm equally-puzzled by the concept of marrying yourself. Maybe I'm just a boring literalist with no imagination (ps I'm not)

www.metro.co.uk/2021/08/26/woman-marries-herself-to-defy-social-expectations
I feel something of your puzzlement. Surely, she's not actually, legally 'marrying' the colour pink - she's just having a big party with a dress and shouting 'I LIKE PINK!!!' into the void? Doesn't real, genuine marriage have to involve the exchanging of vows, rather than one partner saying 'YOU'RE MINE NOW' in a rather overblown way?

Because if it does, I would like to declare that I am now married to Tom Hiddleston, a rather lovely pair of shoes, and my dog.

Doesn't real, genuine marriage have to involve the exchanging of vows, rather than one partner saying 'YOU'RE MINE NOW' in a rather overblown way?

Well, exactly so - otherwise it's abduction (in a very stone-age/pre-medieval kind of way). And it has to include some form of tangible reciprocation, agency for consent, and meaningful witness to the effect.

Those important two extra people, signing on the dotted line witnessing that they saw it all, and no chloroform or carpet-tape was involved: they're effectively jurors, judging the sanity of the supplicant(s), and acting as a non-executive counterpoint to the authorised person solemnising the joining of two competent entities.

Otherwise this is just all costume roleplay taken magnitudes too far (unfortunately this characterises many of the bored over self-invested members of contemporary society). Also: there's a quasi-religious combative aspect about people INSISTING that others around them respect THEIR fantasy. If someone comes to the door carrying their Inanimate Significant Other when I am visiting, then I shall smile sweetly at their idiosyncracy. If they insist I address It by name, and talk to It in an apparently-interactive mode, I will run for my life (and sanity).

And on a related note, it strikes me that (in cases where this objectofilia isn't pantomime posturing, and is pseudo-genuine) there might be a sort-of suitor-projected animism going on. Do sufferers/experiencers imbue some (all?) other inanimate objects in their surroundings with personality and presence, or just the ones they lust after & love?

Because if it does, I would like to declare that I am now married to Tom Hiddleston, a rather lovely pair of shoes, and my dog
Evidently they will each know this already? (nb your spouse has become bigamously-engaged to Zawe Ashton....Tom I mean, not your shoes or your dog)

Last edited:
Just once, when I was about thirteen and THAT sort of thing was beginning to stir in me, I went to sleep one night thinking about the dolly new teacher at school (when you do when you are male and that age). I remember the dream vividly. I was in the frozen food aisle at the local supermarket and dream-me suddenly discovered a box of frozen fish fingers was the most attractive female thing in the world. Well, in the dream I was thinking about Miss E------ but this mutated into me trying to perform a sexual act with a frozen fish finger. In a crowded supermarket. Even in the dream I realised how bizarre and surreal it was but it happened. And you know how if you do something utterly embarrassing in a dream - trousers round your ankles and rubbing a deep frozen fish finger on yourself, for instance - everyone around you noticing and pointing the finger and laughing? (Can't a guy have sex with a fish finger in peace, for goodness sake?).

Well.... didn't happen. All those people around me in the dream and nobody took a blind bit of notice.

Woke up feeling baffled and "What was the point of THAT?" as you do.

I've not had this sort of dream ever again. And fish fingers, or at least the good ones, are for eating. (The bad ones - well, a cat will eat anything when it's hungry)

Last edited:
And fish fingers, or at least the good ones, are for eating. (The bad ones - well, a cat will eat anything when it's hungry)
And if the cat WON'T eat them - well, you know what to do (you've got previous...)

And if the cat WON'T eat them - well, you know what to do (you've got previous...)
Yep. Starve the entitled little bugger a bit more till it does.

Not quite the same but our Housebound library service had to visit some pretty strange homes (carpets that squelch for instance):puke2:

One driver assistant was visiting one couple where the woman was visibly pregnant and she was told of the due date etc.

Roll forward a few months and she visited to find a crib in the living room. Invited to look at the new arrival she peered into the crib and you’ve probably guessed – there was a doll. The couple were both making remarks that indicated that they thought it was a real child.
After a few diplomatic remarks she left quickly and we made sure they were only visited by two staff in future. Not that they seemed a threat but you can imagine being pretty weirded out by the experience.

Not quite the same but our Housebound library service had to visit some pretty strange homes (carpets that squelch for instance):puke2:

One driver assistant was visiting one couple where the woman was visibly pregnant and she was told of the due date etc.

Roll forward a few months and she visited to find a crib in the living room. Invited to look at the new arrival she peered into the crib and you’ve probably guessed – there was a doll. The couple were both making remarks that indicated that they thought it was a real child.
After a few diplomatic remarks she left quickly and we made sure they were only visited by two staff in future. Not that they seemed a threat but you can imagine being pretty weirded out by the experience.
This is horribly horribly sad. I know a lady who can't have children and pushes a doll about like a newborn in a pram. It's a coping strategy. I wonder if the baby in the above experience died and was replaced with a 'newborn' doll to help the couple manage their emotions.

This is horribly horribly sad. I know a lady who can't have children and pushes a doll about like a newborn in a pram. It's a coping strategy. I wonder if the baby in the above experience died and was replaced with a 'newborn' doll to help the couple manage their emotions.
I know that feeling - I had a beautiful wicker Victorian baby carriage, and always wanted to put our little kittie in it for a walk around the block, she walked on a leash and I took her out all the time.
Perhaps had that feeling after many miscarriages. :)

Vey sad, as were a lot of the housebound clients. The staff had doubts about the pregnancy being genuine (timescale, etc. but you can't always be sure)
We had to be careful however hence sending two people. We always liaised with Social Services and were usually told of problem people - but sometimes if they hadn't taken medication things could change.
Sorry to hear of your losses as well Ronnie Jersey.

Vey sad, as were a lot of the housebound clients. The staff had doubts about the pregnancy being genuine (timescale, etc. but you can't always be sure)
We had to be careful however hence sending two people. We always liaised with Social Services and were usually told of problem people - but sometimes if they hadn't taken medication things could change.
Sorry to hear of your losses as well Ronnie Jersey.
Thank you, but believe me - it's fine. My Aunt was the same, she had to stay in bed for 9 months with her legs up. Genetics! :)

Just for a laugh, I have to tell you that my Mum had a kittie when she was child in England. He was a little boy and she used to dress him up and put him in her doll carriage and wheel him around. Guess that's the mothering instinct! LOL

A novelist's interest in objectophilia.

The first known case was in 1979. Eija-Riitta had seen the Berlin Wall on television at the age of seven and, struck by its long, parallel lines, fell in love. She tied the knot on their sixth visit together, marrying the Berlin Wall and taking it as her last name—Berliner-Mauer. She regarded the tearing down of the wall as a catastrophe and slept with a 1:20 scale model until her death in 2015.

In 2018, Akihiko Kondo spent two million yen to marry animated pop-idol Hatsune Miku. Miku, a “vocaloid,” was developed in 2007 by Crypton Future Media. She serves as a mascot for a voicebank software, in which users can compose their own songs for the virtual character to sing and dance to. Miku stands 158 cm tall, sports teal pigtails, and has a suggested vocal range of A3–E5, B2–B3. She has appeared as a hologram at concerts, and as a doll at Kondo’s wedding. None of his family attended the ceremony.

These individuals are classified as objectophiliacs. Read: those who hold sexual or romantic attraction towards inanimate objects. It goes without saying, of course, that objectophiliacs are often the target of derision, mockery. But I’d like to expand on objectophilia a little bit, on that idea of love as well. Perhaps even argue that, ridiculous though they may seem, these cases are just the natural conclusion to the relationships the rest of us already hold.

My debut novel, Satellite Love, concerns itself with one such objectophile: Anna Obata, a 16-year-old girl in southern Japan who falls in love with a satellite. Like most writers, I imagine, the concept came to me before any notions of theme. Other than vague ideas of melancholy and escape, I didn’t understand exactly why Anna would fall for a satellite, nor the ultimate conclusions that would come from it. So it was that, through writing, I found myself drawn into the psychology of objectophiliacs. ...

https://lithub.com/objectophilia-on-the-people-who-fall-in-love-with-inanimate-things/

Akihiko Kondo's marital bliss has recently been turned upside down:

The man who married a hologram in Japan can no longer communicate with his virtual wife​

The software that allowed the interaction is no longer supported and the man can no longer interact with the hologram with which he had a relationship for years.
Fictosexuality is the term used to describe those people who are sexually attracted to fictional characters and in Japan little by little it becomes a trend, to the extent that there are companies that develop technology to offer users holographic couples. Akihiko Kondo took his love for a fictional character one step further by holding a "getting married" ceremony with Hatsune Miku , a virtual singer who has starred in several video games and has even accompanied Lady Gaga on her world tours. The ceremony took place in 2019, after the man was able to communicate with the hologram via Gatebox , a company that develops devices to holographically show characters that do not exist.
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/426715

Back