• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Obsession With Wrecking Trains

MrRING

Android Futureman
I was watching an old ITV series The Cheaters, and a story came up positing a train crash that is revealed to be the work of a maniac who, like a pyromaniac, liked to cause train wrecks to watch the carnage. The way the tale played out, I wondered if it was loosely based on a real incident. Or more than one.

I know that the obession to start fires is a real thing that still goes on, but was there a point when trains were the object of an obsessional need to wreck them? If so, what was the syndrome called, and has that died out as a psychological need in the modern era?

S
I was watching an old ITV series The Cheaters, and a story came up positing a train crash that is revealed to be the work of a maniac who, like a pyromaniac, liked to cause train wrecks to watch the carnage. The way the tale played out, I wondered if it was loosely based on a real incident. Or more than one.

I know that the obession to start fires is a real thing that still goes on, but was there a point when trains were the object of an obsessional need to wreck them? If so, what was the syndrome called, and has that died out as a psychological need in the modern era?
I don't know if there is a recognized psychological disorder as you describe, but I think a lot of people would enjoy seeing such a sight - even if they want it to be death-and-injury-free. Consider the Crash at Crush, a staged head-on collision in 1896 Texas.

Unfortunately, it did not turn out to be death-and-injury-free.

I don’t know if it is a real thing or if it has a name but in 1967 a signalman deliberately caused a high speed derailment at a place called Connington South on the East Coast Main Line, killing 5 passengers and injuring 18. He had been dishonourably discharged from the royal marines two years earlier due to ‘hysteria and an immature personality’ but at the time he was employed British Rail was so desperate for staff that they didn’t bother to check references or enquire about his history (this was quite a normal state of affairs for BR right up to privatisation, if you had a pulse and could tell the time you were in).

As far as I know he never explained why he did it.

I don't know if there is a recognized psychological disorder as you describe, but I think a lot of people would enjoy seeing such a sight - even if they want it to be death-and-injury-free. ...

Staged train wrecks were popular entertainment events in the early 20th century. In later years such crashes were staged mainly as movie scenes, public service announcement illustrations, or safety demonstrations.

This 2022 blog article gives an overview of the staged train collision craze ...
The History of Train Crashes Staged as Entertainment
RUPERT TAYLOR JUL 6, 2022

Today, people use the phrase "train wreck" to describe a disaster from which you cannot tear your eyes.

More than a century ago, clever hucksters spotted the potential for profit in getting two steam locomotives to smash into each other and charging people to watch the spectacle. ...

Except for the dead and injured and their families, the Crush crash was immensely popular, drawing the biggest single crowd in the history of Texas at the time. Carnival operators elsewhere in the U.S. soon latched on to the potential and started putting on similar spectaculars without, it was hoped, the bloodshed.

Aging locomotives could be picked up for little money and there was a willing throng ready to buy tickets to watch the calamity.

The California State Fair held its first staged crash in 1913 and a film crew was on hand to record the collision. ...

Historian Carson Hendricks says the fair put on similar crashes for five years until “Southern Pacific said they had to stop because of a shortage of metal during World War I. But, I think they were just running out of trains.” ...

Monetary gain does not appear to have been the motive behind a collision put on in “Monkeyville” in 1925. This was the time of the Scopes trial and a train wreck was staged “to typify clash in the USA between adherents of Bible and those of Darwin.” ...

One train was labeled “Fundamentalism” and the other “Evolution.” Both ended up in a twisted heap of tangled metal resolving nothing. ...

In 2007, police organized a collision between a train and a car on a level crossing to educate people about the dangers of trying to zig-zag through barriers. ...

In 1984, British authorities staged a crash that drew a sizable audience, some of them VIPs brought in by special train. Large tents were erected and a crowd of onlookers gathered to watch a train smash into a nuclear fuel container at 160 km/h. The container survived, and the diesel locomotive went for scrap. ...

Bonus Facts

Prior to a 1906 smash-up in California a Los Angeles Times reporter did a tongue-in-cheek promotion of the event as a horse race or boxing contest: “Trained to the minute, the iron gladiators will each be fed a light breakfast of 21 tons of soft coal and 3,500 gallons of water this morning.”

Joe Connolly was the king of the staged train crash; so much so that he acquired the nickname “Head-On Joe.” During his long career of buckling iron, he organized 73 train crashes. With a flair for the dramatic, Connolly put dynamite on the tracks for a more impressive bang. Then, he soaked wooden rail cars with gasoline to produce sheets of flame.

The biggest crowd to ever watch one of these extravaganzas was 162,000 in New York City. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos & Video Links): https://owlcation.com/humanities/Head-On-Train-Crashes-as-Entertainment

I don’t know if it is a real thing or if it has a name but in 1967 a signalman deliberately caused a high speed derailment at a place called Connington South on the East Coast Main Line, killing 5 passengers and injuring 18. He had been dishonourably discharged from the royal marines two years earlier due to ‘hysteria and an immature personality’ but at the time he was employed British Rail was so desperate for staff that they didn’t bother to check references or enquire about his history (this was quite a normal state of affairs for BR right up to privatisation, if you had a pulse and could tell the time you were in).

As far as I know he never explained why he did it.
I joined as a trainee driver in 1988 and they did a full background check as they did then with all safety critical staff. Having said that a convicted pedophile managed to get a job as a conductor. It was only after other staff noticed his unhealthy attraction for school children that it came to light. I seem to remember the background check came in the early 80's.

This California train engineer derailed his train in 2020, admitted doing so deliberately, and seemingly hoped to crash it into a US Navy hospital ship about which he had dark conspiratorial suspicions.
Prosecutors: Engineer deliberately ran train off tracks in attempt to smash the USNS Mercy
By ABC7.com staff
Thursday, April 2, 2020

An engineer deliberately ran a train off the tracks at high speed near the Port of Los Angeles in an attempt to crash into the USNS Mercy hospital ship, prosecutors say.

The Pacific Harbor Line train derailed Tuesday, running through the end of the track and crashing through barriers, finally coming to rest about 250 yards from the docked naval ship.

Federal prosecutors allege train engineer Eduardo Moreno, 44, of San Pedro intended to hit the ship, saying he thought it was "suspicious" and did not believe "the ship is what they say it's for.'" ...

Authorities say Moreno admitted to crashing the train intentionally, but said he did not plan it out in advance. It is believed that he acted alone.

He allegedly made statements to a CHP officer that included "You only get this chance once. The whole world is watching. I had to. People don't know what's going on here. Now they will." ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://abc7.com/usns-mercy-coronavirus-train-crash-derailment/6069395/

The Connington South accident in the UK was caused deliberately by the young signalman. Exact motive unclear, but 'to see what would happen' seems likely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connington_South_rail_crash

Also there is a (possibly mythical) European person who allegedly caused train wrecks for pleasure in the 1930's through WW2 - there is a trashy book about him which I thought was fiction. I can't remember his name, but I have seen subsequent references that seem to suggest he was real.

I noticed one train was painted ‘Old Man Depression’. Is this the remedy?
It was the 1930s. They were going through the Great Depression. I guess we need entertainment like this again if we're going to get through this next one coming up.

What a delightful topic!

There is a John Wayne Mascot serial, from the early thirties, called The Hurricane Express, in which our hero attempts, over twelve murky episodes, to unmask a villain called The Wrecker, who is a serial offender in the train-wreck line.

The date is about right for it to have been inspired by the Matuska case!

A sexual motive might have livened things up a bit. The odd bit of bondage apart, it contains little to thrill perverts, other than Wayne completists!

Last edited:
I shouldn't be so cynical.

But the first reference I came across about him was in such a poorly written book I guess it planted a permanent seed of suspicion in my mind.

Also the Vienna Express accident doesn't appear in the main standard works on rail accidents - maybe I suppose because it wasn't an accident.

l have a hint of a trace of a recollection of reading about a work of fiction concerning a Matuska-like character. Might it have been by Edgar Allan Poe? l seem to remember Poe- or Lovecraft-style writing.

maximus otter

The Connington South accident in the UK was caused deliberately by the young signalman. Exact motive unclear, but 'to see what would happen' seems likely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connington_South_rail_crash

Also there is a (possibly mythical) European person who allegedly caused train wrecks for pleasure in the 1930's through WW2 - there is a trashy book about him which I thought was fiction. I can't remember his name, but I have seen subsequent references that seem to suggest he was real.
I have always understood that signal boxes had an interlocking system to stop contrary movements of trains.

I have always understood that signal boxes had an interlocking system to stop contrary movements of trains.
They do. The signalman worked out a way of defeating the mechanism.

Immediately after the accident, 20-year-old signalman A. J. Frost claimed that he had accidentally changed the points while "swinging" on the levers. The Railway Inspectorate inquiry into the accident surmised that, as the train approached Connington South signal box, the signalman had:
  1. Replaced the Home signal to Danger just as the locomotive reached it.
  2. Pulled the point lock lever to withdraw the mechanical lock.
  3. Raised the latch of the point lever just before the electrical lock operated.
This sequence would have had to occur in the time between the train passing the Home signal and running on to the track circuit, i.e. in less than two seconds. Tests were conducted using a similar signalling frame to the one at Connington South and it was found that an experienced signalman could just about manage to reproduce the sequence. Thus, it was shown that the interlocking could be defeated.

It was clear that the signalman had stood for some seconds with the points lever slightly out of its frame, moved it just as the sixth coach was passing over it, then returned it to its normal position. This would be a premeditated rather than an accidental act.

They do. The signalman worked out a way of defeating the mechanism.
Thanks. My error. I should have read the wikipedia entry.

I find the sentencing strange. His premeditated action led to 5 dead and 18 injured and all he got was 2 years?

Thanks. My error. I should have read the wikipedia entry.

I find the sentencing strange. His premeditated action led to 5 dead and 18 injured and all he got was 2 years?
I would suspect that a certain amount of behind scenes discussion took place about the military failing to pass on to the employer about his mental problems. I don't know the person's subsequent history - hopefully he got treatment.

Also, juries in the UK are very reluctant to pass sentences of manslaughter on people who make mistakes in railway service, however gross. And it is (or was) normal practice for the report of the technical enquiry not to be published until court proceedings are concluded, as was the case here. Not sure that makes sense. But I don't know the historical reasons for it.

Last edited:
I would suspect that a certain amount of behind scenes discussion took place about the military failing to pass on to the employer about his mental problems. I don't know the person's subsequent history - hopefully he got treatment.
I have never read anything about what became of (former) signalman Frost after his trial but it would be very interesting to find out. He may even still be alive; he’d be 75 today.

Also, juries in the UK are very reluctant to pass sentences of manslaughter on people who make mistakes in railway service, however gross.
Well, signalmen Tinsley and Meakin were royally shafted after Quintinshill and driver Morgan of Purley fame got 12 months in the jail and 6 months suspended after pleading guilty for a moment’s inattention, though his sentence was cut to 4 months on appeal and conviction was later quashed altogether.

Certainly the experience in my part of the world under BR was that it was very challenging to recruit and retain suitable candidates for signalman jobs (particularly for low graded jobs) which led to a rather lax approach in hiring. Plenty of very rum characters got in over the years and I could tell you some amusing - and alarming - stories. The footplate line of promotion was more attractive to job seekers and could be a bit more discerning over who they picked. BR only started using psychometric tests to screen candidates for footplate and signalling jobs in the very late ‘80s. These days recruitment in the rail industry is unrecognisably better in almost every way.

I have never read anything about what became of (former) signalman Frost after his trial but it would be very interesting to find out. He may even still be alive; he’d be 75 today.

Well, signalmen Tinsley and Meakin were royally shafted after Quintinshill and driver Morgan of Purley fame got 12 months in the jail and 6 months suspended after pleading guilty for a moment’s inattention, though his sentence was cut to 4 months on appeal and conviction was later quashed altogether.

Certainly the experience in my part of the world under BR was that it was very challenging to recruit and retain suitable candidates for signalman jobs (particularly for low graded jobs) which led to a rather lax approach in hiring. Plenty of very rum characters got in over the years and I could tell you some amusing - and alarming - stories. The footplate line of promotion was more attractive to job seekers and could be a bit more discerning over who they picked. BR only started using psychometric tests to screen candidates for footplate and signalling jobs in the very late ‘80s. These days recruitment in the rail industry is unrecognisably better in almost every way.
Well, we will have to disagree over Tinsley and Meakin. Although if the latter had only sent the blocking back signal 200 odd lives would have been saved. In another country they might have been shot by a firing squad.

In all fairness it was a job I could never have done my mind always has been given to wandering.

I was based at Brighton and Jim Morgan was based at Littlehampton which is down the line from Brighton along the coast. Jim Morgan got his job back as a driver shunting trains from the sidings at Littlehampton to the station and visa versa. Getting his job back on the railways was contrary to the rules in the Rule Book which is still governed by acts of Parliament. He should have been sacked and that's it.

The Purley train crash was when an express train going along the up fast line to London ploughed into a commuter train that was on the up slow line but which was going over points to take it on to the up fast line. The express train then went down quite a steep embankment and a lot of it ended up in peoples gardens. The claim was the express train had gone through a red signal at speed immediately prior to the points. I was amazed that more weren't killed or injured.

There was a well known problem with that signal at Purley that had been reported numerous times. It's on the up fast line to London and about 20 miles south of London. The line speed is 90mph. Before the station is a slight incline and a bit of a curve which means the signal is not visible until a short distance before the station. The problems reported were the previous signal being at green and the one at end of the platform being red.

A lot of drivers would slow down before go through Purley station as a precaution due to what other driver had said and reported. I would always slow to around 60mph just in case and then at least the train would stop in time.

Signal always go in sequence. Along that stretch of line they were 4 colour aspects which gave green, two yellows, one yellow and red. A signal can only be at two yellows or green after a green aspect at the previous signal but not red. Jim Morgan claimed the previous signal was green so the one at the end of the platform should not have been displaying red.

During the hearing and on the day Aslef were due to give their evidence to show previous problems with that signal, Aslef suddenly withdrew all their evidence and Jim Morgan changed his plea to guilty.

Later that year train drivers on Network SE got a really decent pay rise.

A few years later Jim Morgan somehow managed to buy a really nice house, much better than the one he owned. He also bought a really nice sailing yacht. Of course, I'm not suggesting for one minute any nefarious went on. No, no, not at all.

Another curiosity was that Margaret Thatcher, the then Prime Minister, visited Jim Morgan in hospital as he was (obviously) injured. Very odd indeed.

The only comment Jim Morgan ever said about the Purley train crash was that he was stitched up. He was never the same person after the crash as he was beforehand though which is understandable.

After the court case a repeater signal was put in quite a way before Purley to give enough stopping distance for a 90mph train. A repeater signal is not like a normal signal. It only has two aspects. On or off. If it's off, it means the next signal to which it applies (at Purley station) could be showing one yellow, two yellows or a green, depending on the aspect of the previous signal, or if it's on, it means the next signal to which it applies is red.

If there was no problems with the signal at Purley, then why was the repeater signal installed ASAP with a line speed restriction until that had been done?

Last edited:
Plenty of very rum characters got in over the years and I could tell you some amusing - and alarming - stories. The footplate line of promotion was more attractive to job seekers and could be a bit more discerning over who they picked. BR only started using psychometric tests to screen candidates for footplate and signalling jobs in the very late ‘80s. These days recruitment in the rail industry is unrecognisably better in almost every way.
I can also tell some seriously alarming stories as could most train crew. Most involved alcohol. Some involved drug addiction.

One Christmas Eve on the last train to and from a small station 25 miles east Brighton at around 9pm, ram packed during the rush hours and little used otherwise, I was held up at a semaphore signal just outside a station where there was also a level crossing. I think there was just 4 or 5 passengers. The signal box being the old fashioned lever type manual affair. I phoned the signalman from the signal post telephone but no answer. I waited a few minutes and tried again and still no answer. I kept trying etc. After 20 minutes the conductor walked the short distance to the signal box. Some signals can be passed at danger if no contact can be made but this one was a control signal which means under no circumstances can it be passed at danger.

After a short while I could see blue flashing lights. I thought maybe the signalman had been taken ill.

It turned out the signalman was a ragging alcoholic and was semi unconscious rolling around on the floor completely pissed. He'd started his Christmas celebrations early. Behind the signal box they found a massive pile of empty whisky bottles.

I eventually got home at around 4 in the morning. The railways couldn't find an emergency signalman to operate the signals. After hours of waiting, eventually, I had to effectively drive the train backwards along the wrong same line for miles at 20mph to the next cross over point. Back at depot, I had to write the dreaded drivers report which had to be done accurately as it would be later used in court. I was so tired I couldn't see straight. I tried to get a taxi but ended up walking the two miles home. What a wonderful Christmas Eve that was. Expected to be indoors by 10pm, instead got to bed at 5am feeling shattered.

The signalman got 2 years inside. Served 16 months. No one had ever questioned why he always swapped for the late shift, which meant he saw the last few trains through, then spent almost the entire night doing nothing, except probably drinking, and no supervisor had ever checked up on him whilst he was working. The signalman who took over early morning never questioned him being drunk assuming he had only been drinking after the last train. He lost his job as well and was lucky not to also end up in court. All breaches of safety regulations had to be reported immediately.

Sorry, this is off topic.

Last edited:
I was based at Brighton and Jim Morgan was based at Littlehampton which is down the line from Brighton along the coast. Jim Morgan got his job back as a driver shunting trains from the sidings at Littlehampton to the station and visa versa.
Thank you for the very interesting details about the Purley crash. I have heard a few stories over the years about various railway accidents and what may or may not have really caused them; I find the stuff that happens after the dust has settled at an accident just as fascinating as what went on before and during it. I’ve only been personally involved in one major accident in my career (thankfully) and there is a whole book just waiting to be written one day about the carry-on surrounding it.

My apologies too for dragging this a long way off topic.

The episode of the Cheaters that started this all is entitled Single Or Double Indemnity from 1961:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0539588/?ref_=ttep_ep12
Engineer Leon Little is the only person to die in a train wreck that leaves Eastern Insurance paying a Double Indemnity for an accidental death. Rail investigator Potter believes it was murder not accident so John Hunter is called in.
And I found this article talking about two trains intentionally derailed in roughly the same manner 56 years apart, with no one arrested.
https://www.trains.com/trn/railroads/history/a-scary-tale-of-two-train-wrecks/

Back