• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Occult Architecture

MrRING

Android Futureman
Gozer Buildings Among Us

In Ghostbusters, if you've seen it, remember how the building was created by mad Gozer worshipers to call down armeggedon on the world, and the design was crafted to heighten supernatural powers.

Now, other than the Winchester House (built to hold in those spirits killed by Wincehester rifles) and churches in general (who could be reasoned to house the "Holy Spirit") were there ever cults or single architects who tried to/did erect a modern bulding intending a supernatural function for it, to call down (non-Christian) beings, ghosts, or other spiritual essences, to commune with the dead, etc?

the Winchester House (built to hold in those spirits killed by Wincehester rifles)

erm, say WHAT?????????

Never heard of the Winchester House? Check out the links, but basically Sarah Wincester was convinced that she would stop being haunted by the ghosts of those who were killed by Winchester rifles (which her husband invented) if she bult on her house continuously.

Here is an excerpt from :
http://www.prairieghosts.com/winchester.html

"But her new-found wealth could do nothing to ease her pain. Sarah grieved deeply, not only for her husband, but also for her lost child. A short time later, a friend suggested that Sarah might speak to a Spiritualist medium about her loss. "Your husband is here," the medium told her and then went on to provide a description of William Winchester. "He says for me to tell you that there is a curse on your family, which took the life of he and your child. It will soon take you too. It is a curse that has resulted from the terrible weapon created by the Winchester family. Thousands of persons have died because of it and their spirits are now seeking vengeance."

Sarah was then told that she must sell her property in New Haven and head towards the setting sun. She would be guided by her husband and when she found her new home in the west, she would recognize it. "You must start a new life," said the medium, "and build a home for yourself and for the spirits who have fallen from this terrible weapon too. You can never stop building the house. If you continue building, you will live. Stop and you will die."

And the official website of the house: http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

So I take it there are no other modern buildings built by eccentric religious cults or spiritualists out there?

Thinking back, I remneber reports of a monostary in the West that had a mysterious stranger type come out of nowhere and build a flawless self-supporting staircase built with only wood that is an engineering model, but I don't remember much else about it.

How about Washington being laid out in masonic symbols and Milton Keynes being deseigned by modern day neo witches?

Er...gibbons don't waste good money on books with titles like 'How to be a Teen Witch' etc.?

Cant remember specifics but theres a place in eastern europe that is being restored, and it has "supernatural" structures and symbols integrated into it. I think the builder / designer made parts of the place for the dead, as well as the living?

Also ain't them whacky UFO cults meant to be building places with integral UFO parking etc. Does that count?

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
Thinking back, I remneber reports of a monostary in the West that had a mysterious stranger type come out of nowhere and build a flawless self-supporting staircase built with only wood that is an engineering model, but I don't remember much else about it.

I believe there was TV movie about that. I recall something about the builder becomnig frustrated one night and smashing a half-completed unworkable version to bits and the covent thinking it was a hate crime until they heard the story.

Don't forget Coral Castle. Although that may be stretching your definition of a building there.

I thought the Coral Castle was just to honor the love of his life... was there a further reason in the design as well?

Emperor Zombie said:
and then you can look at hawksmoore's blasmphemous churches littered about london (in a certain pattern no less)

This is new to me. Could you expand upon it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I misread this thread title as "Dozer Buildings Among Us" and immediately made the connection:

Dozer = Doozers = the little builders from Fraggle Rock who constructed things from a sugary substance which also provided food for Fraggles.

I've been reading this thread with increasing confusion since this initial misconception.

This may have something to do with me having the plague. I'm going to work tomorrow. God help us all.

Orbyn said:
I misread this thread title as "Dozer Buildings Among Us" and immediately made the connection:

Dozer = Doozers = the little builders from Fraggle Rock who constructed things from a sugary substance which also provided food for Fraggles.

Down at Fraggle Rock (dum dum)
Grab a Fraggle by...no, wait, that's the other version...

A link to the story of the Loretto Chapel Staircase, with photos:

http://www.lorettochapel.com/html/stair.html

"Two mysteries surround the spiral staircase in the Loretto Chapel; the identity of its builder and the physics of the staircase construction....The design was innovative for the time and some of the design considerations still perplex experts today."

Locally we have the Stickney Mansion, which was built with no square corners, they are all rounded off. The family was into spiritualism and believed that 90 degree angles inhibited the flow of necessary energies. Link with photo: http://www.zuko.com/weird_n_spooky_america.htm#Stickney Mansion

The 'Round Square' at Gordonstoun was allegedly built for the anticipated visit of a supernatural guest.

Sir Robert was said to be anxious about receiving a return visit from 'Old Nick', as the Devil was known, and it is believed his strange circular estate square, the Round Square, was constructed to serve as a refuge when the day of reckoning came.

Wizard of Gordonstoun

Orbyn said:
Radishes, I think you'll find :goof:

Professor says Legislature design has roots in the occult

Broadcast News

Thursday, February 17, 2005

WINNIPEG - A Winnipeg professor argues that the Manitoba legislature has occult roots.

Frank Albo, of the University of Winnipeg, says that after years of study, he's convinced Manitoba's legislature is actually an architectural talisman built to the specifications of the same divine blueprints found in ancient temples.

Among the things that kept cropping up were numbers five, eight and 13.

He says the numerical segment is found often in nature, and is considered by many to be a ''blueprint for the plan of God.''

Albo found the lieutenant-governor's reception room had cubit dimensions matching those of King Solomon's inner sanctum.

However, the cubits used were those favoured by the Freemasons, a fraternal group known for its secret rituals and interest in the occult.

Fuelled by a resurgence in numerology spawned by the book The Da Vinci Code, Albo has presented his theories to architectural experts, art historians and even Freemasons all over the world.

----------------------
© Broadcast News 2005

Source

Thu, February 17, 2005

He sees hidden signs

Occult clues at Legislature: researcher

By DAVID SCHMEICHEL, STAFF REPORTER

What if a well-known Winnipeg landmark was really an architectural talisman, built to the specifications of the same "divine blueprints" found in ancient temples? Not buying it? Read on.

University of Winnipeg researcher Frank Albo has spent years collecting evidence suggesting the floor plans of Manitoba's Legislative Building might be more occult-based than anyone guessed.

"We have a Rosetta Stone in the heart of the Canadian Prairies ... and it's hidden," Albo said. "My academic career hinges on this, so I've been careful to make sure I'm not inventing things. But the coincidences start to add up to the point where you go, 'This is amazing.' Now the coincidences have so overwhelmed me that I'm mission-bound to find out what's going on."

'BLUEPRINT FOR THE PLAN OF GOD'

Albo had hoped to write his thesis on how the Legislature matched the specs of ancient pagan temples, but soon noticed recurring elements that didn't fit the classical mould.

Among things that kept cropping up were numbers -- five, eight and 13 -- found in a numerical segment discovered by 12th-century mathematician Leonardo Fibonacci, in which each number is the sum of the two preceding it. The segment is found often in nature, and is considered by many to be a "blueprint for the plan of God," Albo said.

"Even if you go on the official tour, they'll mention how the number 13 keeps appearing -- 13 chairs, 13 lights ... even the original height of the Golden Boy," he said. "When I plugged those numbers into the floor plan ... it appeared the architecture adhered to this divine plan."

Digging deeper, Albo realized the lieutenant-governor's reception room had cubit (an ancient measure of length roughly equal to the length of a forearm) dimensions matching those of King Solomon's inner sanctum. But the cubits used were those favoured by Freemasons, a fraternal group known for secret rituals and interest in the occult.

After Albo learned there were many Masons in the administration that built the Legislature, his thesis took a new direction.

His theories were supported by subsequent findings -- hieroglyphic writings, eight-pointed stars, and even the oft-celebrated Golden Boy himself.

"It leads me to believe this building may have been built as a sort of talisman -- a beacon of energy to harness these ideas that in ancient times were considered divine," he said. "It follows what ancient architects thought ... that if you build a temple in a city, the temple should venerate the god of that particular city."

Albo has found nothing similar in legislatures in other provinces, but said Masonic images abound in U.S. government buildings and symbols. Fuelled by the "Indiana Jones-esque" nature of his research, and a resurgence in numerology spawned by The Da Vinci Code, Albo has presented his theories to architectural experts, art historians and even Freemasons all over the world.

He recently met with Manitoba's minister of government services, and hopes to see the province incorporate his findings into tourism initiatives. "We need to highlight this building, so it's celebrated for it's worth," said Albo, who presents a discussion on his findings tomorrow night at the Hotel Fort Garry.

Source

A building of 'secret encoded clues'

Manitoba Legislature built as talisman to ward off evil, researcher says

By KATHERINE HARDING
Friday, February 18, 2005 - Page A8

Four years ago, Frank Albo was driving past the Manitoba Legislature building when he looked up on its roof and spotted a pair of stone sphinxes that stuck out in the bright blue Prairie sky.

"They are a noted Egyptian motif," recalled the 33-year-old Winnipeg native, who was studying Eastern religions. "I thought: 'What on Earth are Egyptian sphinxes doing flanking a building where laws are enacted in Manitoba?' "

Since then, his tiny discovery has led to an exhaustive investigation into the grand Winnipeg building, which he now calls "the Da Vinci code in stone."

Mr. Albo is convinced that the legislature building, which was designed in 1912 by two English architects, holds "secret encoded clues" that suggest it was built as a talisman to harness energy and ward off evil -- a sort of beacon of the occult.

From the Golden Boy statue, which famously glistens from a dome atop the building, to the pair of large bison statues that guard a massive staircase leading to the legislature, Mr. Albo said the building was constructed to the specifications of the divine blueprints of ancient temples.

He said even the lieutenant-governor's reception room was built exactly to dimensions that match those of King Solomon's inner sanctum.

"I haven't researched every legislative capital in North America, but I doubt that you will find another one that is built to Golden Mean proportions, . . . that has Hermes -- the father of all occult sciences -- on the dome and is in the centre of North America," he said.

While Mr. Albo said he received a small government grant to pursue his research after the Premier's Office was contacted two years ago about his discovery, there is a lot of skepticism about his findings.

"The buffalo is the symbol of Manitoba -- that's why there are buffaloes there," said a senior government official, who didn't want to be identified.

However, he said that the government has no problem with people studying the Winnipeg landmark, which opened to the public in 1920 and is an example of Beaux-Arts architecture. "It's certainly open to a variety of interpretations," he said.

Mr. Albo, who has been known to walk around the building wielding a tape measure, said he knows many people likely don't believe him, but he's not deterred from continuing his investigation.

"Almost every day, I'm uncovering a new clue that is leading me further down this rabbit hole," the University of Winnipeg research fellow said.

"It started as a research paper, but has turned into an Indiana Jones adventure," he said. He has been aided over the years by blueprints, special access to Masonic archives and even a person who could translate hieroglyphics that were eventually found on the two sphinxes that set off his research in the first place.

The young sleuth said that while the bestselling thriller novel The Da Vinci Code "talks about things like the Golden Mean, Masonic architecture, symbolism of secret societies -- those elements, in true proportion, are incorporated in the architecture of this building."

Mr. Albo said he's often asked why this type of symbolism would be secretly encoded in a building constructed in Winnipeg.

The fact that Manitoba's capital city is located almost exactly in the middle of the continent is a likely explanation, he said.

"What greater, more important place, to put the beacon of energy that houses the blueprint of God in divine proportion and has a representation of [the] Holy of Holies?"

Mr. Albo, who wants to write a book about his unusual discovery, is currently concentrating his research on the building's lead architect, Frank Simon, to help him solve the "great mystery" still facing him -- the all-consuming Why?

Source

manitoba2.jpg

manitoba3.jpg

This file is too big to post so I'll just give the URL:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/ ... itoba1.jpg

If Alan Moore is on to something in From Hell, several of Hawksmoor's buildings are loaded with Masonic/pagan symbolism.

Do stone circles count as buildings? If so, it is widely believed that they may have served some magical purpose.

Peter Ackroyd works the occult angle of the great man's architecture into his novel 'Hawksmoor'.

Is there any substance to it, though? Are the Hawksmoor churches encoded texts beyond the usual?

I think the new Denver International Airport deserves mention in this thread. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms. Depends on whose version of the story you listen to. NWO, lizard-men, secret underground city, yadda yadda.

An article about Hawksmoor:

http://www.barbelith.com/cgi-bin/articles/00000054.shtml

The architecture of Nicholas Hawksmoor has been the subject of considerable interest in the last half-century, where his work had previously been almost completely ignored. His major churches: St Alphege, Greenwich; St Anne, Limehouse; St George-in-the-East; Christ Church, Spitalfields; St George, Bloomsbury; St Mary Woolnoth: these have become important loci of London occult and psychogeographical thought - originally brought to the attention of the reading public by Iain Sinclair in Lud Heat, the book which provided the impetus and the inspiration for Peter Ackroyd's Hawksmoor.

Both Ackroyd and Sinclair see Hawksmoor's churches as centres of malevolent energies which are connected with the Ratcliffe Highway and Whitechapel murders; Sinclair places the churches at the angles of a sign of Set, and sees them as cult centres, temples for malignancies which have yet to be laid to rest:

From what is known of Hawksmoor it is possible to imagine that he did work a code into the buildings, knowingly or unknowingly, templates of meaning, bands of continuing ritual. The building should be a Temple, an active place, a high metaphor.

It is an attractive theory, but falls down a little when we consider that it's only natural for churches to feel like temples and places of ritual; and that many churches are built on old religious sites, close to graveyards; and that one might draw straight lines between Wren churches and come up with a similar symbol (though I confess I have not tried). Yet it cannot be denied that the Hawksmoor churches make a profound impression. The most interesting aspect of the idea, it seems to me, is why they should prompt thoughts of gloom and mystery: why is it so easy to associate them with murder and the occult? Why do they have this effect on the imagination?

Hawksmoor himself is largely unknowable; he left few letters, and all we know of his character is what can be drawn from his career: he was a genuine professional in an age of gentlemen amateurs, very highly regarded by his contemporaries, who was disappointed of the high offices which he expected and which he deserved. By the end of his life, his architectural style had fallen out of favour and was derided by neo-Palladians. Perhaps this may explain the melancholy of his later letters, and some of his interest in gloomy funereal monuments - shown to its best advantage in his mausoleum at Castle Howard.

On the other hand, Hawksmoor's tutelage under Wren seems to have instilled in him a deep love and respect for the monumental architecture of antiquity, even though he never left Britain and only knew such buildings through engravings. He scoured architectural treatises for sources: the description of the tomb of Mausolus in Pliny (which is the source for the steeple of St George, Bloomsbury); the ancient tombs at Baalbek, which provided the inspiration for Hawksmoor's use of the giant order and huge, raised hexastyle porticoes in several churches; the tomb of Cecilia Metella on the Appian Way... His respect for antiquity was extended (most unusually, for the time) to the Gothic, which he aped with some success at All Souls College and the towers of Westminster Abbey.

It is, however, the massive character of Hawksmoor's work which is most Gothic in mood; and here we can see Hawksmoor in context, as one of the two great architects of the English Baroque. He worked with the other, Sir John Vanbrugh, at Castle Howard and Blenheim Palace where the huge mediaeval masses of the houses are tempered with the classical orders, rather than articulated by them. After these buildings, the two architects worked separately (though they were colleagues at the Office of Works) and their styles also diverged. Vanbrugh followed his inclination for grandiose, eccentric statements of mass and stark statements of what he termed 'the Castle air'; Hawksmoor's style became more antiquarian in feel, though it is equally individual.

Hawksmoor was the author of many extraordinary designs for colleges and for urban planning, which featured immense oval chapels, public fora, colonnades, sweeping wings, and everywhere the giant columnar orders and strange architectural elements isolated on pedestals. But in this as in his employment, he was denied fulfilment; his plans were too grandiloquent for conservative tastes to contemplate, and far, far too expensive. It is in these designs that we can see his true nature as a baroque architect: his use of masses and forms to create unity in his buildings' elevations, the theatricality of the central focus, the grand compositional effects; the concentration on the intrinsic qualities of architecture, rather than the extrinsic, decorative elements.

Yet Hawksmoor's buildings lack the plasticity of the continental Baroque; he ignores the play of motifs and elements just as he ignores Wren's rather stately, ordered style, and he lacked Vanbrugh's feeling for monumental form. His feeling for classicism, for massive masonry walls, for stone itself, was manifested in buildings composed of apparently stark yet deeply considered facades, buildings which seem heavy and sometimes lowering in feeling. The culmination of the style is undoubtedly his churches, built to meet Vanbrugh's criteria, which were that churches should have 'the most Solemn and Awfull Appearance without and within.'

So, to return to my original question, why are these churches so striking? They are, on the face of it, churches which conform to a standard pattern (much like the Wren churches, in fact), mediaeval forms dressed in a plain classicism. Yet the more one looks at them, the more bizarre they appear. Some have seen Hawksmoor's obsession with monuments and monumentality as morbid, and it's easy to see how the characteristic flattened arches of the interiors and the massive character of the recessed walls contribute to the impression of weight, and gloom. The ambiguity of the spaces creates a slight feeling of unease.

But the chief expression of the architect's originality can be seen in the exteriors. The huge variations on the Venetian window at Christ Church, Spitalfields; the pepperpot towers at St George-in-the-East; the enormous portico at St George, Bloomsbury, a very compressed church; the strong rustication of the tiny St Mary Woolnoth; the temple front and Roman urns (on Hawksmoor's beloved pedestals) at St Alphege; and St Anne's peculiar, apsidal west front. Finally, one comes to the towers and the steeples, splitting the sky, where Hawksmoor's invention ran riot. The massive, recessed belfry stages weigh down upon the long body on the church, and are surmounted by perverse steeples which seem to lean away from the passerby, by strange pyramid-like structures, by classicised octagonal lanterns (both enclosed and open to the air), and by antiquarian attics. Everywhere one finds isolated elements - pyramids, urns, altars - used as pinnacles. The oppressed churches sprout Hawksmoor's inventions, reaching white into the sky, looking like bleached bones.

I read Ackroyd's Chatterton and thought it was ecellent, so this one sounds even better.

Never heard of Hawksmoor before but if he was pupil of Wren, then he cannot have escaped the symbolic nature of that architecture school.

LD

About Frank Albo and the Manitoba building mentioned above.

Does anyone know of any privately published reports or pamphlets he has put out? I would have expected him to have a huge web site as well.

M

Back