• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Occult Architecture

manitoba3.jpg

This file is too big to post so I'll just give the URL:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/ ... itoba1.jpg

That second image of Medusa, a cosmic joke of what goes around comes around :)

The Utopian communities of the Philadelphians and others of 18th cen. America utilised mystically inspired geometrical patterns in their architecture and larger community layouts.

Locally we have the Stickney Mansion, which was built with no square corners, they are all rounded off. The family was into spiritualism and believed that 90 degree angles inhibited the flow of necessary energies. Link with photo: http://www.zuko.com/weird_n_spooky_america.htm#Stickney Mansion
In Veryan, Cornwall, there are some completely round houses.

"The village is probably best known for the five Round Houses built in the early 19th century for the Trist, each with thatched roofs and a cross on top; they stand two at either end of the village and one in the centre. They are often said to have been built round so that there was no corner for the Devil to hide and that the crosses on the roofs were intended to drive the Devil away but there is little or no evidence for this."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veryan#Notable_buildings

As for the layout of Washington DC, I read a book about time travellers which referred to this in passing.
It connects to the megalithic yard, apparently. I posted about the book a couple of times on this page:
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/time-travel.4756/page-22#post-1277647
(Win10 makes it harder to specify an actual post, it seems...)

Ever looked into the Palace and grounds of Versailles? Could be an interesting study for occult symbolism in the layout. Check Google earth; it does have similarities to Washington DC. What do you think? Just pretty designs?

In Veryan, Cornwall, there are some completely round houses.

"The village is probably best known for the five Round Houses built in the early 19th century for the Trist, each with thatched roofs and a cross on top; they stand two at either end of the village and one in the centre. They are often said to have been built round so that there was no corner for the Devil to hide and that the crosses on the roofs were intended to drive the Devil away but there is little or no evidence for this."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veryan#Notable_buildings

That was a week ago. Now I find that I posted a pic of these (copied below) on the
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/experimental-travel.22285/page-3

IMG_0654.jpg

With crosses on top, were they perhaps originally built as wayside chapels and then later became houses?

From the Wiki page on Veryan
In the 19th century Veryan's local vicar and land owner Jeremiah Trist expanded the village's buildings.[7] Aside from convincing his parishioners to attend church on a regular basis, he grew interested in property. He manned the building[clarification needed] of two schools and a series of five round houses. He was inspired to build the homes after one was built in St Winnow. Two of the round house cottages, "The Beehive" and "Left Round House", were built alongside one another on an entrance road to the village.[7] Trist installed crosses on each of the houses and they were said to deter the devil from entering the village.[8]

They bring to mind the Trullo houses of Apulia.

They featured in the old Unexplained part-work. Much was made there of the mysterious symbols painted on them; these were said to ward off evil. I see the roofs are of stone, not thatched like those very fetching Cornish houses.

The Wikipedia page suggests the symbols are a modern mystification which is good for tourism. :(

They bring to mind the Trullo houses of Apulia.

We had a crash-landing in Brindisi, Italy few months ago, returning from holidays in Greece (no harm done, just some funny burning smell in the cabin). This is in the same region of Apulia where Trullo houses are so local gift shops are swamped with little replicas.

Bought one - on the back it says "Made in China".... is there anything not made there?

"In 1952, a Berks County folk artist named Johnny Ott started painting and selling colorful, stylized discs inspired by the large, decorative stars that commonly adorned the barns across Pennsylvania German Country (still colloquially known as Pennsylvania Dutch Country). Unlike barn stars, which were painted directly on the sides of structures, the wooden hex signs, a term likely derived from the Pennsylvania German word “hexafoo” or “witch’s foot,” could be ported around and hung not just on barns, but anywhere."

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/hex-signs-of-pennsylvania

Don't let us start on buildings with swastikas. Or let us do start on buildings with swastikas. Lovely old twenties building in my downtown has them for luck.

Build it and they will com. Construct a building with the right architecture in a sacred location, maybe where an ancient temple once stood and I believe one can bring heaven down to earth.

A week ago, I was delighted to be shown around the Liszt Academy in Budapest.

One of the most amazing buildings I have ever seen! There is an occult element built into the Secessionist design, with regions devoted to Dionysus and Apollo. This week saw the restoration of the magnificent organ.

Liszt was no stranger to the occult, managing to be both an ordained Abbé and Freemason, though the Academy was in his memory - his own teaching was done at his home. :clap:

For the sake of question-masters everywhere, I append this list of Liszt-impersonators in film, taken from Wikipedia:

"Liszt was played by Henry Daniell in the 1947 film Song of Love; by Sviatoslav Richter in the 1952 film Glinka – The Composer; by Will Quadflieg in Max Ophüls's 1955 film Lola Montès; by Carlos Thompson in the 1955 film Magic Fire; by Dirk Bogarde in the 1960 film Song Without End; by Jeremy Irons in the 1974 BBC Television series Notorious Woman; by Roger Daltrey in the 1975 Ken Russell film Lisztomania; and by Julian Sands in the 1991 British-American film Impromptu."

Last edited:
A building I often travel past has stone unicorn heads set into the brickwork. The place is modern-looking, possibly mid 20th century, and I've heard that it was originally a brewery.

It's apparently now the Universal Grindings factory, which I found out from the rabbit-hole of a website Pinterest.

Anyway... unicorns?

I've heard that it was originally a brewery

The Unicorn is now a tradename of Robinsons in Stockport. Their brewery is still named after it - so is one of their beers. I wonder if they acquired the name from an earlier firm?

I think it was also the name of the little bar which used to be in the wall beside the brewery gates. No excuse for the beer being stale there! Last time I passed, that little watering-hole was gentrified as an office or residence. :(

The Unicorn is now a tradename of Robinsons in Stockport. Their brewery is still named after it - so is one of their beers. I wonder if they acquired the name from an earlier firm?

I think it was also the name of the little bar which used to be in the wall beside the brewery gates. No excuse for the beer being stale there! Last time I passed, that little watering-hole was gentrified as an office or residence. :(

Yup, the brewery connection seems highly likely. Maybe their beer is so strong you start start seeing them!

Back