Occult London Of The 70's

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Browsing Twitter earlier this evening, I came across this supremely interesting and ongoing thread about this fabulous book below:
occultbook.jpg

The thread begins: 'My flatmate has this amazing 1970 book which is basically a directory of various occult services and where to get them so had to share some of the amazing adverts in a thread (May add to it as I read through it).'

Follow it here as more is added: https://twitter.com/AdamScovell/status/1178371405597032448?s=19

Do any of our members here have any recollection of this book or the interesting folks mentioned within it? Does anyone else have a copy? Has anyone used their services?
I think this would make for some fascinating reading.

MrRING

Antediluvian
This might be something that the FT folks could reprint for their own profit. It seems quite interesting!

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
There was certainly a busy, occult underground back then. I remember there were lots of small ads for groups with names such as The Golden Wheel, which promised to connect you to witches, pagans and diviners in your area. I assumed it overlapped with what would now be called "swingers" and alternative lifestyles. In outlets, such as News from Nowhere in Liverpool, you could find self-published cyclostyle weirdness by the ton. I suppose it would have an almost antique curiosity-value now.

Yithian's linked page reveals the compiler of the Aquarian Guide to be a Ms (Françoise) Strachern, which turns out to be a pen-name of Francesca Rossetti, pictured here. :cooll: