• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Occult Rock Bands

A

Anonymous

OCCULT MUSIC!

Unfortunately heavy rock music has always been connected (hilariously - despite some musicians saying they practiced whatever..) with 'Devil worship', etc, especially with the Nordic form of 'black metal'. In your opinion, what is the most 'evil' sounding, or darkest record you have ever heard ? I know this sounds like a teenage question!

There is a great song from Tool called Eier von Satan. It sounds very satanic, but is hilarious if you speak German.

The most extreme music is Black Metal but again, alot of it is silly kids dressed up like rebellious wanna-be's, but some of the obscure stuff is very noisy...but Sabbath were the gods of rock 'n' roll. Venom were crap. and the 'nu-metal' brigade are hilarious.

I remember listening to a Christian radio station once and they said they were gonna play 'the most satanic song ever'. They played Sinatra's "My Way".

Dyslexia. perhaps! Satanic - Sinatic - Sinatra.

But I guess their real point was that the song embodies the magical "Do what thou wilt" idea. Vicars are always telling us that "I" is at the heart of "sin" - wonder if that works in other languages?

"U should have kept your mouth shut" by beautiful south. Deals with themes of ritual abuse in a refreshingly twisted way.

Pop only plays with ideas of Evil for cheap thrills, though I suppose there
is a market for self-destructive teenage angst which is certainly very
negative.

For truly occult music we need to go a bit further off the beaten track. It's a
huge subject and very much akin to mathematics and numerology. Some
strict vocal canons were appended to Michael Maier's Atalanta Fugiens and
can be found as an appendix to John Read's Prelude to Chemistry, 1936. They
have catchy titles like "The Earth is the Nurse of the Philosopher's Stone" and
some have suggested that they were intended to be sung to help the
transmutatiion process.

For a sublime opera steeped in occult lore, try Busoni's Doktor Faust, based
not on Goethe but the original Faust legends and puppet plays. It was left
unfinished on the composer's death and at least two completions are in
circulation, one by Busoni's pupil Philip Jarnach.

For many, an air of the diabolic still hangs over the twelve-note system of
atonal composition developed by Arnold Schoenberg. He was himself fascinated
by the occult, specifically in connection with the Seraphita of Balzac. The
manipulation of a twelve note series to remove all sense of a tonal root was
regarded by many as a crime against nature. Thomas Mann took the system
and attibuted it to his fictional Adrian Leverkuhn, whose pact with darkness in
the novel Doktor Faust was seen as symbolic of German culture in the
twentieth century. Schoenberg, needless to say, was not well pleased.

Incidentally the English serial composer Humphrey Searle, whose interesting
memoirs are on the web somewhere, actually wrote the works of Leverkuhn
according to Mann's descriptions for an impressive Radio Three feature in the
nineteen eighties. Ah, those were the days! :rolleyes:

Some of the Goth stuff from the '80s (Sisters of Mercy,Killing Joke et al) was good for creating an enjoyabley satanic night out!
O Fortuna (Carmina burana) by Carl Orrf always gave me goosebumps, and I think Danse Macabre (forget the composers name, theme tune to Jonathan Creek!) is eerily disturbing!

How I hate all this high-brow name-dropping. Why can't you just hum the tunes so we know what you're on about?

"You won't like those, dear, they're Highbrow!"

Being a very Fortean eight year old, I went home to empty
my piggy-bank then returned to buy the whole box full of discs.

I often wonder about all the pleasures I would have missed
if I had never encountered that old witch. :blah:

O Fortuna is the one that everyone thinks is the theme to The Omen, isn't it?
I think Holst's Mars is rather scary, well, more ominous, really, a bit like the Imperial March from Star Wars, innit?

David said:
Scriabin's piano sonatas, particularly the first, sixth & ninth sonatas.

Somewhere about the place I have a tape of Ken Russell's Radio 3 play about Scriabin and Aleister Crowley. Jolly nonsense wherein the latter disrupts a black mass being performed by the former and they go mountaineering while Scriabin rants about his music.

Sounds good dead flag!

Is there any chance of a copy of the tape please?

Scriabin, did have some weird esoteric ideas, but was not in the same league as those of A.C. More into the feelings 7 emotions produced by music & colour.

You may think that's funny but Barbra's classical album was
a real scream. I think she had a stab at Debussy and Duparc!

Will need to look it up, as it is something of a collector's item.
1973 I think. Honest! :cool:

Brian Eno and David Byrne did 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts' back in the 80s. Now might seem rather dated but I think it would be fair to say that it was ahead of it's time in many ways. Includes cut-ups from an exorcism on it. Lee Perry has done various stuff which, in a similar way, has an almost occultish edge to it.

Religious music can seem quite spooky, if not exactly occultish. A particular favorite of mine is Pergolesi's Stabat Mater which is a deeply religious piece of music - impossibly beautiful and soulful but also quite unsettling. I first heard this under very special circumstance and in a very particular and ancient place - which may very well have affected how I hear it now. Similarly the St John and St Matthew Passions are quite strange and other - worldly. It isn't perhaps that these are in themselves occultish - more that they touch something beautiful and also scary.

As a (with retrospect possibly slightly spooked) child brought up religious I always liked the strange atmosphere of evensong. But hated the dark walk home. I remember that the english words of the Nunc Dimittis always seemed very odd ... Lord now let us now thy servant depart in peace according to thy way etc. More like a plea than something comforting and yet said to be words uttered in a moment of joy. The words, with new music, were later used as the theme to the excellent BBC production of 'Tinker Tailor Solider Spy' by John Le Carré.

The Nunc Dimitis AND the Magnificat!!!!

Yes I remember them. I was in a church choir & after choir practice & the services, we would walk home singing, them & the psalm for the next Sunday, totally b***dy bizarre behaviour, as we were a "right little bunch of tearaways".

I wonder now, how many people who heard us at the time thought it was some sort of 'gang chant'!!!!!

With a group of schoolfriends I was once
required (as a punishment for some misdemeanors?) to carry
a number of games-related objects from the playing fields to the
school about a mile away, where they could be repaired.

The largest of the objects was a wooden post with a cross-type base,
used I think as a support for the bar in the high-jump.

We decided to turn the punishment into a kind of passion-play and
took it in turns to shoulder the wooden post, while the others
flagellated themselves with bits of old netting. And we sang mournful
hymns.

Despite the fact that we were just in school uniform, our performance
seemed to impress a number of passers-by, who paused in the
middle of their shopping to cross themselves as we made our way through
the village.

I like to think it was a spiritual experience for them, but I may have slightly
spoiled it by cursing loudly when one smart alec decided to turn his
lash on me and play the Roman soldier. :eek!!!!:

Haha! That's a great story, James!

Amazing how religion can mess with young minds. As a slightly disturbed 7yr old, I used to get away from it all by going into my darkened bedroom and pretending to be Jesus crucified. Upon reflection, rather peculiar, but I was very interested in what that kind of death would feel like.

As to music, I saw a video once of Kylie Minogue miming along to 'castrato' which was quite sinister in a way. Nobody I've mentioned it to has seen it.

But my all-time favourite dark tune has to be 'God of Emptiness' by Morbid Angel. The accompanying video of a guy transforming into a demon whilst being held in some Buddhist-type monastery still gives me a pleasant chill.

Wot No Psychic TV or Coil?

Uggh! I used to live along the road from that GPOrridge. An interesting and not stupid biography. Didn't he once release 23 albums in a year as some kind of record attempt - including the seminal recording of the Jim Jones suicides? Godstar was quite good though. Saw them play a few times too - in London and Brighton. The TPYouth messed up various friends of friends that got involved with them. Put perhaps they'd messed themselves up already. All seems so long ago now. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't drop in here from time to time from his New York retreat - or where ever he is now. At the end of the day ..... not stupid.

As to Coil. Lame pretenders out-of-time. I'd rather listen to Destiny's Child or Kylie. See the FT interview? W*****s!

The Nuit de Sabat from Berlioz Symphonie Fantasque is pretty good. But Magick is concerned with the Word and the will, so listen to songs words like:
The Lyke Wake Dirge
THIS ae nighte, this ae nighte,
—Every nighte and alle,
Fire and fleet and candle-lighte,
And Christe receive thy saule.

When thou from hence away art past, 5
—Every nighte and alle,
To Whinny-muir thou com'st at last;

If ever thou gavest hosen and shoon,
—Every nighte and alle, 10
Sit thee down and put them on;

If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st nane
—Every nighte and alle,
The whinnes sall prick thee to the bare bane; 15

From Whinny-muir when thou may'st pass,
—Every nighte and alle,
To Brig o' Dread thou com'st at last;
And Christe receive thy saule. 20

From Brig o' Dread when thou may'st pass,
—Every nighte and alle,
To Purgatory fire thou com'st at last;

If ever thou gavest meat or drink, 25
—Every nighte and alle,
The fire sall never make thee shrink;

If meat or drink thou ne'er gav'st nane,
—Every nighte and alle, 30
The fire will burn thee to the bare bane;

This ae nighte, this ae nighte,
—Every nighte and alle,
Fire and fleet and candle-lighte, 35

The Lyke Wake Dirge...

That takes me back a few years! I heard a folk group in Exeter in about 1965 who really impressed me. When I discovered they had an LP out I bought it as a Xmas pressie for my GF, and "Lykewake" was one of the tracks.

Sadly, the ol' brain cells are now dropping like flies, so I can't remember the group's name. I think most of their stuff was unaccompanied, but I may be wrong - otherwise their style was reminiscent of Steeleye Span. Any ideas from the long-in-the-tooth brigade?

Steps (any "song")

Just makes you wonder why? what's the point? It's all been done already...

Can't help with the folk-group version but classical fans will know the
Dirge from Benjamin Britten's setting in his Serenade for Tenor,
Horn & Strings. Starting quietly, it rises to a state of near panic.

Now the voice of Peter Pears - there's a Fortean phenomenon.
A truly horrible sound. :eek:

Don't forget that there is a Lyke Wake walk up north & as one blokess I know who walked it about ten years ago said to me: "They might look like bloody crows up in the air when you start, but when you finish they're looking like vultures".

It seems that the aim is to finish it in one day!!!!!

Back