• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Occult Rock Bands

I think that bowie is fascinating in the way he takes personas- it is indeed like psychodrama. Ziggy stardust, aladdin sane, the thin white duke...

Incedentally, Some of the members of heavy prog band van der graaf generator were apparently quite heavily into magick and teh occult. Some song titles like necromancer and darkness - if not a plague of lighthouse keepers - also point

Faggus said:
I have an old LP entitled "danse macabre". As well as the title track by saint-saens, It has the Witches Ride from Hansel and Gretel by Humperdinck, the Gnome from pictures at an exhibition by Mussorgsky and The Night on the bare mountain by the same.
On the second side It has the tam o'shanter overture, the mephisto waltz and the sorcerors apprentice.
It's quite a cool record I guess

that reminded me of one i had so i had to dig it out; "John Ogdon plays The Mephisto Waltz and other "satanic" piano music of Franz Liszt". It is on the classical label Seraphim, but the cover is outlandish - old books("Satanism" and "Demonology") and a newer paperback on top w/ the name of the album(although no mention of an actual book version is made.

also, there's Rosemary Brown's 'Musical Sceance' in which she channels dead composers to come up w/ new pieces...(occult but not satanic..)

Faggus said:
actually, despite the joke, i think you are right... I remember rreading an article once that was theorising how much some rock live performances resembled mystery plays for evoking certain things (you know - mars, venus and all that)
In ancient China music was regarded as quite literally a form of magic, and this led to the imperial practice of rewarding the nobility with the right to employ musicians. It was all strictly controlled, with nobles of certain ranks never being allowed to have more than a certain number of musicians, and breach of the rules being regarded as treason in some quarters.

In a similar vein, while the practice of accompanying military units with drummers was known in the west (where the drum beats were an aid to timing and a means of communication), the ancient Chinese apparently used drummers to soften up the enemy psychologically before battle. As with music among the nobility, this was deemed a magical practice.

(Zygon starts to feel like a broken record, he's been bringing up ancient China so often on this MB...) :(

Whence the Bowie Lyrics?

pi23 said:
yeah that's what I said - mystery plays hadn't been mentioned until then. As for psychodramas what about Bowie?

I'm closer to the Golden Dawn
Immersed in Crowley's uniform
Of imagery...

What song, what album? Very interesting lyrics, and yes, Bowie's changeling abilities are akin to psychodrama and shadowplay.

Liszt is indeed a very ambiguous figure. Most brief biographies refer to his
minor orders in the Catholic Church as an Abbé. You need to dig a bit to find
references to his Freemasonry.

His vast output has tended to be eclipsed by others who built on his foundations.

It is the very late works which are more spoken about than performed. Brief,
spare and bleak, works like Unstern, Sinistre, Disastro and the prophetic
Lugubrious Gondola, based on a vision of Wagner's Death in Venice. There
is also a very curious Bagatelle without Tonality, which looks ahead to the
twentieth century.

Rosemary Brown died fairly recently. I seem to recall that in later years she
had been supported by a Canadian Trust? In the UK she was a
largely forgotten figure, though once the subject of television shows in
the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Philips made a big thing of the album they
recorded around 1970 in which her pieces were played by herself and Peter Katin.
She even channelled Donald Tovey to write a sleeve-note! I also have an earlier
semi-private record of her pieces played by Mary Firth.

Her (ghost-written?) book called Unfinished Symphonies reveals a woman of shabby
genteel background reduced to a rôle of school dinner-lady, which she abhored.
She was taken up by spiritualist circles and supported by a trust fund. She fell out
with them when she felt the pressure to produce was interfering with her gift.

There were a number of testimonials from musicians such as Richard Rodney Bennett,
stating that they would have found her pastiches hard to equal. But maybe they
lacked her strong material motivations? It is a curious tale and her more elaborate
scores seem to have been dangled without ever being unveiled to the public. Her
recital audiences were mainly spiritualists and a handful of self-selected and
sympathetic musicians.

Her spiritual "Control" was Liszt, of course, whom she recalled visiting her bedside
as a child to whisper that one day she would do important spiritual work!

All very odd. I relish the pictures on the Philips disc sleeve, which depict her shopping
in a check coat. She looks very much the model for the Monty Python "women"!
Still, it would be interesting to see and hear the long promised Beethoven 10th,
though Dr. Barry Cooper seems to have got in first with his elaboration of the existing
sketches. :rolleyes:

Re: Whence the Bowie Lyrics?

FraterLibre said:
What song, what album? Very interesting lyrics, and yes, Bowie's changeling abilities are akin to psychodrama and shadowplay.

It's a song called "Quicksand" from his 1971 album "Hunky Dory"

Vinyl

Ah, yes, an old favorite I've not heard for years as my turntable doesn't work and I've only got it on vinyl. *sigh*

i agree. hunky dory rocks!!! i was going through old vinyl and through on some vangelis and remembered his weird occult connection. anyone ever heard the 666 aphrodites child album? evidently it was his project. i don't know anything else about the it except that there is some pretty esoteric stuff on it. and one quite intense 'invocation' building to what seems like an orgasm, chanting, "I was. I am. I am I was I am. I am. I was. I was I am I was I am..."any one heard it? know anything?

Gosh, only one teeny mention of Marilyn Manson?

Could it be that contrary to popular opinion he is not the scourge of the world of rock?

Probably. I think he's a damn fine poet and a modern Alice Cooper. He certainly knows how to self promote.

How about Type O Negative?
Some of their darker goth music sends shudders down my spine, yet by comparison October Rust is very light and definately Wiccan oriented (No Exo - Wiccan not Satanic :D )

Quicksilver said:
Gosh, only one teeny mention of Marilyn Manson?

Could it be that contrary to popular opinion he is not the scourge of the world of rock?

No, he's just a pratt

Gnostic Goo

So Philip K. Dick's theme music ought to be composed and perfored by David Bowie so the gnostic elements can balance, hm? Fascinating essay.

Marilyn Manson is indeed a modern Alice Cooper and very good at what he does.

Jon Anderson of Yes has always been mystical and New Agey. The mention of Vangelis, who collaborated with Anderson at least once, reminded me of this. Consider in fact some of the gnostic themes in TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS and the mystical elements in CLOSE TO THE EDGE and RELAYER, etc.

Yeah, I used to have the Aphrodite's Child one. Thanks for jogging my memory. :)

"We've got the system to fuck the system!"

Wasn't Demis Roussos the singer on that album? :eek:

I think Marilyn Manson simply uses 'occult' trappings because it may cause some offence to certain sections of the US population. And it's worked. But I don't think he really uses it as a focus for his music. I agree that he is, pretty much, a modern version of Alice Cooper, but takes himself much much more seriously ;)

Alice Bowie

I suspect Manson wants to be a kind of Alice Cooper / David Bowie mix, and realizes that a serious stance under the outrageous stuff might serve him well as his career lulls.

Bowie is still smarter and deeper and more legitimate, however, and has usually moved on several times before his would-be imitators grasp even part of what he's up to.

By the way, in the essay cited by lucifer, it asks, rhetorically, if Bowie is aiming for godhood. I had to chuckle when I thought, "No, he's aiming for statehood," having founded Bowiebanc in Switzerland already.

Hell, he may end up being the man who BUYS the moon, and changes it to BowiePlanet or something.

Phillip K. Dick theme music

i remember reading somewhere that his idea for 'synchronicity music' in V.A.L.I.S. was inspired by Fripp&Eno's No Pussyfooting album.

I wondered if the track "moonchild" (speaking of fripp) of king crimson's first album was reference to aleister crowley (?)

Fripp & Eno & Moonchildren Everywhere

I think PKD did mention Fripp & Eno, although he preferred opera usually.

Moonchild was indeed a Crowley novel, and a good one, but I'm thinking the King Crimson reference is more about the Zodiac, and being born under the sing of Cancer.

DivineSonShin said:
Yeah, I used to have the Aphrodite's Child one. Thanks for jogging my memory. :)

"We've got the system to fuck the system!"

Wasn't Demis Roussos the singer on that album? :eek:

IIRC, he played bass. Amazingly well....

Re: His Satanic Majesty's Request

FraterLibre said:
Let's not forget Jagger and the Stones, (mostly Jagger), who was scared straight, apparently, after the debacle at Altamont.

There's an authentic air of decadant evil about the Stones between 1968 and 1971. According to some of the stuff I've read, a lot of it was down to Anita Pallenberg. She was allegedly into occult practices, and once she'd moved from Brian Jones onto Keef (after a fling with Jagger), she had quite an influence on them.

Kenneth Anger was also hanging around the Stones, and on his advice Jagger stocked up on rare occult tomes and was supposedly inspired to write Sympathy For The Devil by them. The evolution of the song is shown in Godard's One Plus One, which also documents the studio mysteriously catching fire whilst recording Sympathy, and the decline of Brian Jones, who died not long afterwards. Some of the more crackpot theories claim that Jagger and Richards in effect used Jones as a "sacrifice" to their new master, but I'd take that with a barrel of salt.

Anger was also keen for Jagger to star in Lucifer Rising, eventually had to settle for him providing the soundtrack for Invocation Of My Demon Brother. Jagger then got spooked post Altamont, and according to The Satanic Screen, burnt all the occult trinkets Anger had given him and hedged his bets by sporting a crucifix for a long time afterwards.

A lot of this leaked through into their recordings - Gimme Shelter and Sister Morphine, to name but two, are scarier listening than a truckload of Black Metal bands. Nic Roeg and Donald Cammel's Performance is also an uneasy experience for me, as, with Jagger and Pallenberg in the cast, fact and fiction seem uncomfortably close (a little too close for Keef, who sat outside the studios glowering in his Bentley whilst Jagger and Pallenberg had real sex on camera!). There's an unsettling, devilish atmosphere about the whole film, which nearly caused co-star James Fox to have a nervous breakdown, and may have proved influential in his later decision to go into Christian missionary work!

Fascinating Reply

Ah yes, Kenneth Anger. Hollywood Babylon I and II, eh? Charming beanspiller.

Excellent, fascinating stuff, Johnnyboy, thanks for the post. You're right about some of the Stones material being far creepier and scarier than anything the cartoonish metal bands crank out.

I've heard Jagger state that "Sympathy for the Devil" is basically a song inspired by a novel he read about a man who traveled the world, and every where he went things became catastrophe, and in the end he's hinting about being, perhaps, the Devil...so he wrote a song from that character's point of view.

One wonders if it's a Crowley novel, does anyone know? I don't think it was, but cannot for the life of me remember the writer's name.

The Satanic Screen names the book as The Master And Margherita by Mikhail Bulgakov, which is about Satan's travels in post-revolution Russia. Never come across it myself, but apparently a movie was made of it in 1972.

I'd also forgotten that there was a link between the Stones and the Process Church, in the comely form of Marianne Faithfull. There's an article by Gary Lachman about them here on the main FT site, which mentions it.

Whilst surfing around for info, I also found this site, which has the view that the Beatles and the Stones were the spearhead of a huge Satanic conspiracy to subvert the kiddies. Some deranged stuff on there, but it might be worth a look!

Good Sites

Johnnyboy - Thanks for the Bulgakov reference, it was itching.

And those links are interesting, too. I'll have to explore them at leisure.

The notion of the Beatles being a Satanic spearhead is rather funny, but the Stones could foot that bill, for some anyway. LOL Conspiracists need good casting, after all, to sustain the delusion.

Mairanne Faithful was Process, hm? Very interesting, and scary. The Stones attracted as much negative energy as Jim Morrison in some ways. Mick danced better, though, and so dodged the garlicky bullets, eh?

~origins of king crimson's moniker
Their original lyricist, Peter Sinfield, thought of it as a synonym for Beelzebub, which is Hebrew for 'Lord of the Flies'. Beelzebub was Satan's chief lieutenant among the fallen angels.
from here

Bloody

Yes, King Crimson equates with blood, which attracts swarms of flies, etc.

Decay is part of it, too.

Sinfield's lyrics are interesting, but a bit overly ambitious perhaps.

Fields of The Nephilim / Richard Stanley

Fields Of The Nephilim are incredibly esoteric. Very Lovecraft and Crowley orientated, to name ust a few influences.
Their video/ film director Richard Stanley (HardWare/FOTN Vids/Dust devil) directed a BBC doc on Voodoo in Tahiti and wrote a subsequent article for Fortean TImes.
I bumped into him twice recently and he was looking forward to starting a new project which he was typically cryptic about, although he did mentioned his good fortune normally swings up when the rest of the worlds his going down (since Sept 11th).
All said very matter of factly!

Fieldwork

Justin Lucas - Are all their CDs esoteric in nature? Or is there one you'd recommend as especially so? They have quite a few in release and I'd like to check them out -- any best place to start? If so, why? I'd appreciate some guidance if you're familiar with them. Thanks.

The Nephilim

All the LP's are availible on CD now, although not that easy to find.
All the LP's are esoteric, I would highly recomend DawnRazor, The Nephilim, Eliyizum and Zoon. The graphic design on all these LP's is superb and rather disturbing at times.

Theatre of Hate/Spear Of Destiny

I know a lot of people do not take Kirk Brandon seriously (i.e NME), but his stuff is littered with esoteric referances. And it's all very complex....

Re: Theatre of Hate/Spear Of Destiny

Justin Lucas said:
I know a lot of people do not take Kirk Brandon seriously
Gee, I wonder why. No I don't. When I was a roadie, Brandon was THE biggest wanker I ever had the misfortune of encountering. His bass player -whose name escapes me- was a cool guy, but Brandon himself was just a git.

Back