• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Occult Rock Bands

Kirk Brandon/Spear of Destiny

Point taken, it's not the first time I've heard this. Why was he such a "wanker", was it his ego, his views or what ?
Still think his music rocks, then and now. The last LP was full of esoteric/conspiracy stuff. He is amazing live, pure anger unleashed! Maybe he is a Dark god! He knew Trevor Ravonscroft, who wrote The Spear of Destiny-the classic occoult/Nazi tome.

Justin Lucas said:
Point taken, it's not the first time I've heard this. Why was he such a "wanker", was it his ego, his views or what ?
It was his 'tude. Turned up late, decided he didn't want to sound check, then refused to let the support band sound check despite the fact he'd kept them hanging around for 2 hours while he made his mind up, and then when the venue's sound guy pointed out that he'd worked with the support act before and he could guarantee they could set up and sound check in the space of 20 minutes tops, he decided he wanted to sound check after all, but then let the rest of the band sound check while he just wandered round looking moody and refusing to talk directly to anyone who wasn't a member of SoD (excluding his bass player: he wasn't talking to him either, but was getting one of the other band members to relay messages for him). Meanwhile the bass player was dead genuine, very chatty, very pleasant and way, way cooler than Brandon for that reason alone.

Basically, Brandon was massively unprofessional, rude and arrogant. And it didn't help that the support act were utterly different from SoD (The Styng Rites: daft costumes with Revillos/Rezillos and Merseybeat influences -much mindless fun, and referred to by The Glasgow Herald at the time as "the best unsigned live act in Scotland") and yet they won over a big chunk of SoD's audience. That seemed to really put his nose out of joint. Possibly especially since they didn't get to sound check at all after all his dicking about.

Insecurity

The numbers of public performers who are like this due to insecurity is uncountable, I'd guess. What's rare is staying nice, like the bassist.

Dunno how true that is: I roadied for about 5 years ('80-'85), and most of the people I met were more like the bass player than Brandon.

Re: Insecurity

FraterLibre said:
The numbers of public performers who are like this due to insecurity is uncountable, I'd guess. What's rare is staying nice, like the bassist.

Having been a musician for about 30 years (oh shit 30 years WTF happened and when do I start getting good at this?) I've found that the vast majority of musicians, singers and actors that I've worked with/met/partied with are reasonable folk doing a job or having fun.

Then there are the exceptions - and being objectionable is not linked to ability or fame, merely to ideas of self-worth. (In fact, the most arrogant are often the least able....)

Thanks

That makes me feel better, actually, knowing most are just decent sorts doing a job and having fun at it. I'd hoped, but one hears more often, I guess, about the prima donnas. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, eh?

In any case, I'm glad to know this from some with experience.

Death in June...i can't remember the song, but it was on the "roses" album. it was quite evil-sounding and very disturbing.

Black

We've mentioned the Stones, but I've just thought of the cynical, dark depressive song of theirs, "Paint It Black," which would make a superb theme song for a sophisticated horror thriller of some kind, I think.

And although it's not "occult" per se, the Kinks song, "Paranoia, the Destroyer" is fairly chilling too, especially considering the unstable source.

Movie Soundtracks

Sure it's not Viet Nam War movies you're thinking of?

"The bird is the word, bird, bird, bird..."

Re: Movie Soundtracks

FraterLibre said:
Sure it's not Viet Nam War movies you're thinking of?

"The bird is the word, bird, bird, bird..."
Allow me to join you.

pappapappapappa-OOM-mau-mau-pappa-oom-mau-mau...
(Everybody's talkin' about the bird, Don't you know that the bird is the word? pappa-OOM-mau-mau-pappa-oom-mau-mau...)

Re: Re: Movie Soundtracks

Zygon said:
Allow me to join you.

pappapappapappa-OOM-mau-mau-pappa-oom-mau-mau...
(Everybody's talkin' about the bird, Don't you know that the bird is the word? pappa-OOM-mau-mau-pappa-oom-mau-mau...)

Now THERE'S and occult song.

Re: Re: Re: Movie Soundtracks

Amishaman said:
Now THERE'S and occult song.
Well, it seems to have dealt this thread a mortal blow... :(

It was my singing, right?

Re: Black

FraterLibre said:
We've mentioned the Stones, but I've just thought of the cynical, dark depressive song of theirs, "Paint It Black," which would make a superb theme song for a sophisticated horror thriller of some kind, I think.

And although it's not "occult" per se, the Kinks song, "Paranoia, the Destroyer" is fairly chilling too, especially considering the unstable source.

Already has...

See Stir of Echoes, a hugely underated Kevin Bacon film that was overshadowed by the similarly themed "Sixth Sense" released at the same time. Probably one of Kevin Bacon's best performances and a very very effective film.

The stones version was used in the film, but the soundtrack version was by Gob and is actually a key point of the film.

Worth checking out if you can find it.

reminder

Camacki - Yes, thanks for reminding me. I missed STIR OF ECHOES when it was in theaters, but caught it on cable, and it's been re-run several times. Excellet film, I agree, and definitely one of Bacon's best performances.

They stuck pretty close to the Richard Matheson novel, which helps, too. Great source material from one of the best horror writers in the business. It's odd they didn't get Matheson to do the screenplay; perhaps he was busy.

David Bowie is a Thelemic magician, or so i've read.

Coil, Throbbing Gristle and Current 93 make the most beautiful and interesting occult-inspired music.

Death In June is the most disturbing-sounding to me

Richard Matheson

I read "I am, Legend" on holiday. It was the first fiction book I've read in about 10 years, I'm normally reading fortean/UFO stuff. It blew me away. Are there any other Richard Matheson novels, you would recommend and that are availible.
Stir Of Echoes is a very underrated movie. I didn't mind, The movie of Omega Man/I am,Legend even it did go a little crazy on artistic licence.
Still recommend Kirk Brandon to esoteric music lovers, anyone else got any stories on him-he is quite bizarre,there is no doubt about that!

Thanks, I will. Looking forward to his sons even terser stuff. Terse is a very accurate word for Matheson-thanks again

>>>Fields Of The Nephilim are incredibly esoteric. Very Lovecraft >>>and Crowley orientated, to name ust a few influences.

I was waiting for someone to mention the Nephilim, they had an Indy chart hit with "Moonchild" and they sampled of Crowely reading "At Sea".

Sumerian mythology was a major influence for Elizium.

All in all great stuff.

Keep Talking.

Richard.

more occult musick

Just a few more to add to the list:

Sopor Aeturnus - German saturnian medieval music made in catacombs with human bones. Fabulous stuff in a recorders and 'hey nonny nonny' FS style. Highly recommended.

Ordo Equilibrium - Luciferic slant, understated and rather pleasing.

I'm sure others will come to mind later..

93 93 93

Peter Grey

crowley samples...

a contemporary german group called 'to roccoco rot' sampled the entire call of the second aethyr on the album '11 6 12 10'. they even cleaned up the recording, sounds way better than the raw recording.

and, while i'm pretty sure halfler trio have been mentioned here already, i was wondering if anybody had picked out the sample of uncle al on the album 'a thristy fish'(i think it also is from the second aether calling.) it is also sampled on other albums, one specific phrase...hmmmm

i'll listen to sabbath, but only on 8track - the most occult medium of all!

havent heard 8

in years.....what about "King Crimson" in the court of the crimson king?:smokin:

I was sure someone would've mentioned Rockbitch before now!

I saw a TV documentary a while ago, they seem like very nice satanic-commune dwelling, audience-shagging musos to me:D

Check them out here; Rockbitch

And, does anyone else find the band 'Dead can Dance' vaguely disturbing and eerie?

Lovecraft over Lancashire

I've just been reading lyrics from The Fall's songs online (ah, the nostalgia! John Peel on the radio every night to distract me from my homework...) and noticed they're full of Lovecraft references.
Here's a link http://www.liquid2k.com/fall/lyrics/start-frame.html
It's a US site and has sweet footnotes explaining what "kecks" are, etc.

Lovecraft over Lancashire #2

"Spectre vs Rector" is a good one to start with.

"Kecks" is a colloquial North West England word for trousers - or "pants" as you Yanks prefer. Dunno what the derivation is.

Back