• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Occult Rock Bands

Jaybee said:
"Kecks" is a colloquial North West England word for trousers - or "pants" as you Yanks prefer. Dunno what the derivation is.

My Dictionary of Slang says it's a Liverpudlian version of 'Kicks' - trousers...

John Zorn's latest album IAO is based on the films of Kenneth Anger and Jewish Cabala (sp?). The letters IAO correspond to the numbers 666. It's a great record apart from all the occult refs and the packaging is worth the import price alone. It's on the Tzadik label which releases alot of that Hasidic New Wave and occult based music.

IAO=666?

the new zorn sounds fantastic! i will certainly check it out. nearly everything on the zdadik label is worthy of purchase and this one sounds better than most.

my only question is the iao=666. does anyone have reference on the germatria of this...i've never heard of the coorespondence.

Re: IAO=666?

Amishaman said:
the new zorn sounds fantastic! i will certainly check it out. nearly everything on the zdadik label is worthy of purchase and this one sounds better than most.

my only question is the iao=666. does anyone have reference on the germatria of this...i've never heard of the coorespondence.

Yeah, it's a great record. Really listenable unlike alot of his other stuff. It goes from ambient to ritualistic percussion to death metal and female choirs. I dunno anything about the IAO=666 stuff, I just like the record.

fIAOf

Here's Aleister's essay on IAO from Magick in Theory and Practice and it's pretty clearly written.

http://www.sk4p.net/occult/thelema/mitap/chap5.html

You're probably best off assimilating the idea of the IAO formula rather than starting with the number crunching.

Hope the link is of use to someone.
The zdadik label sounds intriguing, thanks for posting that up.

93 93 93

Peter Grey

Thanks

The record seems well worth checking out, and the AC essay is excellent, too, for those who haven't the volumes at home. Bravo.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Gyrtrash brought it up on the previous page.

The weird thing is that I thought I had mentioned Rockbitch, but that post seems gone or it was at a different board ... I poked around, but I didn't see Gyrtrash's mention of them! And of course, they moved to MT-TV, and now I'm not sure that one is still viable either.

The real bummer is that they apparently recorded an official 2nd album but it never came out... pity, as the first disc gets plenty of plays at Casa de Ring.

Found this thread by accident while trying to work out where the recent link to the BBC6 programme on Music and the Occult came from... am sure I will cross paths with that again later.

Not a rock band, though the thread has digressed from those early on... so have some Scriabin... sounds like the perfect/prefact theme for 2016

I don't think we really have a thread that tries (or claims) to objectively-analyse the musical genre I shall call 'Scream Rock' but: it deserves to be picked-over and pinned-down.

Having just sat (and stood) through a stage performance of Steve Steinman's Meat Loaf/Jim Steinman tribute act (unique though that is in itself, in a number of ways)... I feel we need to truly know what is going on (or not) in the odd, not-really-hard scream-scenes schools of Rock.

Tenacious D. Ozzy. Black Sabbath. All these bands that claim to have sold their souls to the devil, in song and synthetic spirit, yet in reality are really milder than mulled wine at a PTA social.

I do understand that it's sanitised pseudo-satanic sing-song screamalong, in the main. Shrink-wrapped synthetic shock. But as pointed-out by @GNC (and others here, previously) why is there so much melodic harmonised side-referencing within the canon (eg from Tenacious D) where they claim to inferentially-worship an intense style of music that they, themselves, tend really to avoid playing? I mean by this that they often all seem to minstrel about Rock music, as opposed to riffing-up the rock, itself.

Is there an explanatory musicological thesis possessed of anyone, fully-formed, fragmentory (or, faltering) that can shine some more light into this floodlit stage(d) of undarkness?

[And: it is very (very) odd to watch old & aged 'rockers', as an audience, at a rock concert. It is metalogically mad, and deserves in itself to be mauled, mercilessly]

Last edited:
Can you be more specific about what is (or is not ... ) included in your definition of "scream rock"?

I'm accustomed to this being a loose label for songs or entire repertoires in which the lead vocal is "screamed" rather than "sung." Early bands to which I've heard the label applied include Led Zeppelin and The Doors. However, both these alleged examples performed some of their songs in a "sung" fashion without any over-the-top "screaming."

My point is that I've always had a hard time treating this as a discriminable genre or category.

Can you be more specific about what is (or is not ... ) included in your definition of "scream rock"?
I would struggle to so do...but will give some further thought as to specific nodal calibrants.

However, both these alleged examples performed some of their songs in a "sung" fashion without any over-the-top "screaming."
This is a substantial plank of my semithesis: much of the genre (if it really is that) appears to primarily eulogise extreme styles rather than actually invoking them in delivery. In a sense, it often feels like music in one form worshiping music in another. It is unfalteringly self-referential/reverential, and seems to be constantly nostalgic about a mythic delivery that is otherwhen & neverwhere.

My point is that I've always had a hard time treating this as a discriminable genre or category
Those who are about to rock salute you. It's all sound & fire signifying something that's defined more by what's promised than delivered. A tease to please, false thrill with missing fill. And the devil made them do it...

EDIT the key precept of Tenacious D's 'Tribute' may, in many ways, summarise the situation:

This is not The Greatest Song in the World, no.
This is just a tribute.
Couldn't remember The Greatest Song in the World, no, no.
This is a tribute, oh, to The Greatest Song in the World,
All right! It was The Greatest Song in the World,
All right! It was the best muthafuckin' song the greatest song in the world.
And the peculiar thing is this my friends:
The song we sang on that fateful night it didn't actually sound
Anything like this song.

Last edited:
Here's an unusual one...
Bobby Beausoleil with the Freedom Orchestra playing 'Simple Man' live from Tracy Prison, 1978. Fellow Manson Family member Steve (Clem) Grogan is in the background playing guitar.
Beausoleil appeared in Kenneth Anger's 'Lucifer Rising' and is serving a life sentence for the murder of Gary Hinman.

@Ermintruder , just to add some context and delimiter some perimeter, have you ever listened to Killing Joke, specially their two self titled albums (meaning... "Killing Joke") ou "Fire Dances" ?

Not yet....I am trying to find it, and will listen accordingly

I would suggest a song "The Death And Ressurection Show", for a start. It's a relatively recent song, but I guess it would be a good introduction. By the way, listen to it loud. :)

Not really rock but Die Antwoord are clearly followers of Chaos Magick and seem to intend their videos as magic spells.

In this still from the 'Ugly Boy' video rapper Ninja can be seen wearing a chaos magick star.

IlluminatiWatcherDotCom-Die-Antwoord-Chaos-Star.jpeg

There's also a pretty disgusting series of text messages available online in which Ninja sexually preys upon then teenage rapper Zheani. He makes several occult references, including about a tattoo he gave her:

TattooSpell.png

I haven't seen a reference to folk musician (and occultist) Judee Sill, so please forgive me if she's been mentioned.

Sill told the BBC in 1972 that she'd used a combination of notes in her song The Donor she thought might induce God to give her a break. Be that as it may, this one of the darkest songs I've ever heard - it makes me feel like I need a salt bath after listening to it. About as far as you can get from death metal, but far more unsettling, IMO.

I think this fits here,

f you can't get enough cult content, "Cult Rock" is a new nine-part series of articles from Be Scofield, cult researcher and reporter and founder of The Guru Magazine. According to The Guru Magazine:

The series explores the musical, spiritual, and cultural revolution taking place in the age of Aquarius. Ultimately, the rock stars of the day were unable to avoid falling into the same traps as many ordinary followers. They too would be used, exploited, or abused by gurus in the name of spiritual awakening.
The Cult Rock website further explains:

There are 9 parts to the Cult Rock series that explores the intersection of cults and music in the 1960s and 1970s.
Part 1: George Harrison's Cult Band
Part 2: Hare Krishna!
Part 3: Jim Kweskin and Mel Lyman's Cult
Part 4: Charles Manson the Rock Star
Part 5: Carlos Santana Becomes Devadip
Part 6: Leonard Cohen's Bad Guru
Part 7: Scientology Goes Gold
Part 8: Fleetwood Mac's Guitarist Joins Children of God
Part 9: Father Yod's Vegan Sex Cult

https://boingboing.net/2023/08/28/c...f-cults-and-music-in-the-1960s-and-1970s.html

Man featured on the cover of Led Zeppelin IV identifed as Wiltshire thatcher, Lot Long (1823-93)​

The identity of the man on the cover of Led Zeppelin IV, the album featuring Stairway to Heaven, has been unknown since its release in 1971.

That was until University of West England researcher Brian Edwards was flipping through a photo album and "instantly" recognised a familiar face.

"I instantly recognised the man with the sticks — he's often called the stick man," Mr Edwards told the BBC. "It was quite a revelation."

The photo is believed to be a "late Victorian coloured photograph of a Wiltshire thatcher", according to Wiltshire Museum, which acquired the photo.

02646dacc9772f9281d06261a3fd3149

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-08/led-zeppelin-album-cover-man-identified/103082226

Back