• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ocular Migraines

Speaking of visual effects, yesterday I walked to the lift and, standing there waiting for something to happen, I saw on the wall down the corridor a weird fleeting movement of a pattern like little waves on water. And I thought ooh that's interesting... no no hang on what the hell is going on, am I having a migraine? Oh god and Specsavers keep sending me those reminders about getting my eyes checked, perhaps my eyesight is failing... panic panic panic. Then suddenly a new wave of pattern appeared and I realised it was some sort of weird reflection from a strange angle of the light coming through trees outside. I did feel quite relieved. At least that's what I'm assuming it was :) it hasn't happened anywhere else.

It did set me to thinking about perception and second-sightish sorts of things.

And then, curiously, when I got home there was my copy of Alan Garner's new book, Treacle Walker. A character has something peculiar about his eyes and wears a patch to help him see straight... there is mention of migrainish effects. He meets an otherworldly person who swaps him a little pot, and he accidentally gets some goo from the pot on his eye... and now he can see things that "aren't there" (including a body who talks to him from a bog). God I do love Alan Garner.

And then, curiously, when I got home there was my copy of Alan Garner's new book, Treacle Walker. A character has something peculiar about his eyes and wears a patch to help him see straight... there is mention of migrainish effects. He meets an otherworldly person who swaps him a little pot, and he accidentally gets some goo from the pot on his eye... and now he can see things that "aren't there" (including a body who talks to him from a bog). God I do love Alan Garner.

added to the wishlist!

…there was my copy of Alan Garner's new book, Treacle Walker. A character has something peculiar about his eyes and wears a patch to help him see straight... there is mention of migrainish effects. He meets an otherworldly person who swaps him a little pot, and he accidentally gets some goo from the pot on his eye... and now he can see things that "aren't there" (including a body who talks to him from a bog). God I do love Alan Garner.

Why have l believed for years that Alan Garner was dead?

maximus otter

I started getting aural migraines about 2015, not long after changing jobs due to the ridiculous time I was travelling each morning. My stress levels dropped but the migraines started.
I get the herringbone or zig zag visual disturbance that used to take a long time to clear, but back then I didn’t get any pain. Now the visual disturbance passes quite quickly but I get a heavy dull pain in the back of my head, and sometimes across the forehead and down my neck. I can head off most of the pain by taking cocodamol as soon as the zig zags manifest but it still leaves a heaviness in the head.
I assume it is another sign of getting on along with all the other little niggles.
I was reading a post on Fairies in which I learned that the real name of the aural migraines I get is a Scintillating Scotoma
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

Everyday is a school day here on the board. :twothumbs:

Just thought i'd report that i experience fantastic occular migraines - features include
-No pain at any time
-Warm feeling
-feeling of complete wellbeing
-emotional feelings - used to get upset and cry, now giggle and feel really satisfied and elated
- visual disturbances which start as a bit of a blind spot (like you've looked at a bright light) then increase in size, e.g. so i can't see my own face when i look in the mirror (or am i a vampire???!!!) - or can't see own hands or some fingers etc.
visual disturbances increase to jagged shimmering lines, bit like the predator - no one colour, just all colours mashed up.
It "feels" shimmering and warm.(synaesthesia!!!)

bet other people get this.
There's another useful related thread here: scintillating scotoma

Got one coming on right now - I can just begin to notice it to the left of the centre of my field of vision, and I fancy I can also hear the sound of bacon frying.

Got one coming on right now - I can just begin to notice it to the left of the centre of my field of vision, and I fancy I can also hear the sound of bacon frying.
Anything to do with the weather in your area ? I'm getting a decent head-banger and I'm hoping that the last half hour of thunder will actually result in rain.

I knew somebody would ask that (he says, struggling to see the keys on the keyboard).
I would say 'no'.
Because otherwise what would account for why I get them usually when there isn't a storm?

I used to get totally drained in the light, couldnt eat either, but there is no pain, once i got into the dark i felt great straight away, i walked back into the light and i am again drained, it only lasts about a day, but, cross keys, I haven't had it for over 30 years :D

Back