• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Bird Behavior Around Moving Cars & Other Vehicles

A

Anonymous

I've a few avian mysteries and observations...

To begin, there was the incident witnessed by my girlfriend and I in 1999 as we followed two other cars through the country lanes near Banbury. Without warning - and obviously disturbed by the passage of the car in front - a pheasant shot out from the hedgerow on the nearside and into the path of the car behind (the one in front of ours). As it disappeared from view - all this in a fraction, you understand - we expected the worst. Instead, the pheasant emerged in the middle of the road sans tail feathers and made it to the otherside, otherwise apparently unharmed. Its colourful posterior decoration lay in the middle of the road in a thin strip. Evidently they had been plucked from its backside as the car's right-front tyre rolled over them in a perfectly timed and choreographed action. Closest thing I've seen in life to the Roadrunner of cartoon fame.

Another one was witnessed by my girlfriend alone, when driving to work in Kent a while back. Same scenario - country lane. This time it involved a pair of birds (species not known) which were immersed in the twisting aerial dance of courtship close to ground level - too preoccupied to notice the car's approach. Too late to brake, 'A' thought she had passed clearly beneath them, but looking into her rear view mirror, saw one freeze in mid-air and plummet to the tarmac, and bounce, obviously deceased. The other fluttered in the air, clearly confused as to what had happened. Love hurts.

Finally, a couple of avian mysteries:

The first is one I see often even now, but don't remember seeing before a few years ago. It involves birds - often sparrows & starlings - suddenly emerging from left and flying beneath bonnet level across the path of my car. I'm sure it's not, as I suggested above, a surprise reaction to the car's sudden presence, nor a statistical feature of travel by car. Often, the road is quite open, and the numbers of birds swooping suddenly across my path seem far greater than chance. It's almost as if they're doing it for 'kicks' - perhaps riding the bow-wave of air generated by the vehicle?

The second is one more diffcult to explain. It was, again, 1999, in a village in North Wales whose name totally eludes me. I remarked at a section of road that was absolutely smothered with the smashed and flattened carcasses of small birds (sparrows?). There must have been hundreds, covering both sides of the road. Why so many in one spot? It was as if a lorry had hit them all simultaneously. But surely they would not all be flattened across the entire road surface? Unfortunately, we didn't stop to investigate or take pix ('though we had cameras with us).

Originally posted by Hermes

Finally, a couple of avian mysteries:

The first is one I see often even now, but don't remember seeing before a few years ago. It involves birds - often sparrows & starlings - suddenly emerging from left and flying beneath bonnet level across the path of my car. I'm sure it's not, as I suggested above, a surprise reaction to the car's sudden presence, nor a statistical feature of travel by car. Often, the road is quite open, and the numbers of birds swooping suddenly across my path seem far greater than chance. It's almost as if they're doing it for 'kicks' - perhaps riding the bow-wave of air generated by the vehicle?

I've been noticing this behaviour of birds for many years and thought it was just coincidence that they swooped down at the wrong time, but recently while driving in country lanes my passenger noticed they launched themselves from hedgerows as if playing chicken....if sparrows can play chicken that is.

:eek!!!!:

Thanks, Pete. Thought I was going mad. Glad you've rescued the thread from no-post limbo.

Hermes

No probs pal, but another thought just occured to me, as you mentioned, they swoop from the left, have you ever seen them swoop from the right? I haven't.:confused:

GOOD POINT! You're right, Pete. it is always from the left, isn't it?
Interesting.

People of the world, let us know if your birds swoop from the left or the right, depending on the side of the road you drive on.

p.younger said:
People of the world, let us know if your birds swoop from the left or the right, depending on the side of the road you drive on.

And we're not talking about kerb-crawling. Just so you know.

At last! A thread that could answer once and for all why the sparrow crossed the road.

Yeah, I've also never understood why birds always fly in front of cars. If a bird is sitting in the middle of the road, and a car is coming towards it on on side of the road, it always flys in front of the car and away. Instead of flying to the opposite side.

I think it's more of a case of birds always flying across roads, but it's just when people are in cars going along those roads, it seems that they only appear when the cars there.

I also think that the visual stimulus of the car initiates the flight or fight response in a different way to mammals. I live on moorland, and you learn that the only way to drive past sheep is quickly, as if you go slowly they tend to notice the car sooner and try to run away to avoid it. If you're traveling quickly, they see it at the last minute, it scares them so they crouch and wait for the car to pass - rabbit in headlights sorta thing.

Birds behave differently, if they see something scary, and figure out that hiding won't do any good for such a big, fast moving car, due to their field of view they just leg it, ironically just as the car passes them :rolleyes:

So, yes it's a bit of both, they do fly out infront of cars but it's a combination of unfortunate timing that they're actually there in the first place, and duff natural selection that they haven't evolved the capacity to avoid cars yet.

Knowing it still doesn't stop pheasants from flying into my windscreen though. They make a helluva bang, but they're also very tasty, so I suppose it balances out in the grand scheme of things :)

Originally posted by schnor

Knowing it still doesn't stop pheasants from flying into my windscreen though. They make a helluva bang, but they're also very tasty, so I suppose it balances out in the grand scheme of things :)

Hope you let them hang well.;)

Yup :)

hmmm tasty :rubs stomach: bleh, I'm hungry now :(

Someone said you were a pheasant plucker, Schnor. Or did I hear that wrong?

:D

You're right, they do fly from the left! I wonder if this is a northern hemisphere phenomenon, like the water going down the plughole clockwise (or is it the other way around?). Maybe Ozzie birds approach from the right?

Seeing wild animals suddenly die is an odd experience. I once passed two pidgeons sat on an embankment on the bus. As I passed by, one dropped dead and rolled down the bank, whilst the other pidgeon went crazy.

I also heard (on a radio phone-in) about a cow that attempted the swooping sparrow trick. The caller detailed how she was driving down a country road, when a large cow leapt over a wall from a field higher than the road and hit the car bonnet. Fortunately she was unharmed, but the car was written off.

This post (and subsequent discussion about its story) originally appeared in:

Bird Falls: Mysterious Deaths Of Birds En Masse
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/bird-falls-mysterious-deaths-of-birds-en-masse.28735/

---------------------

I'm reminded of something that happened to a friend and me in northern Minnesota in September or October 1975. We were driving in a van, headed to International Falls to play a week-long gig at a club. The final approach to our destination consisted of a wide 2-lane highway bordered by mixed fields and woods on both sides. It was mid to late afternoon, nearing sunset, and the weather had just turned sufficiently cold and frosty to signal there'd be no traces of summer until the following year.

We approached a spot where we could see a large number of dark birds (apparently starlings) on the ground on both sides of the road. As we approached within something like 100 yards, they all lifted off and began to coalesce into a flying murmuration (i.e., a discernible but loose formation akin to one or more "streams" of birds). The birds collectively swooped and swirled, slowing elevating themselves higher and higher off the ground.

When we closed to around 20 - 30 yards, a large number of the birds (think of it as a sub-stream or branch of the overall murmuration) changed course and flew en masse directly at our van. They didn't waver or dodge; they simply flew into us at full speed. They battered against the van's front end and windshield with a sound like a heavy hailstorm, with their bodies flying / falling every which way.

My pal and I exclaimed "WTF!?!", and we could clearly see something like a couple of dozen bird corpses lying on the pavement in the rear view mirrors.

That was weird enough. The even weirder part was that this same scenario played out circa 4 or 5 times over the next couple of miles along that highway. It was the same story over and over ... A crowd of birds would be on the ground milling around until we got near, they'd take off and get into murmuration "formation", and when we got close enough a large number or even all the murmuration participants would come right at us as if deliberately trying to commit suicide.

After the first incident, my friend made a point to dramatically slow down as we approached the birds. This didn't make any difference - they'd take off, coalesce into a semi-organized mass, and come directly at us at full speed. The impression they gave was one of deliberate aiming and ramming.

During the coming days we mentioned the incident(s) in talking with locals at the club. Most didn't seem to know what we were talking about. However, there were a couple of native sons who nodded and said it had happened to them, too, and more than once. They confirmed features that matched our experience - the mass of birds on the ground, the take-off and murmuration coalescence, and finally the seemingly deliberate mass-ramming of their vehicles' front ends head-on. They also confirmed that their experiences had always occurred near sunset or at dusk, and always in the autumn around the time the weather turned cold and frosty once and for all.

Last edited:
I'm reminded of something that happened to a friend and me in northern Minnesota in September or October 1975. We were driving in a van, headed to International Falls to play a week-long gig at a club. The final approach to our destination consisted of a wide 2-lane highway bordered by mixed fields and woods on both sides. It was mid to late afternoon, nearing sunset, and the weather had just turned sufficiently cold and frosty to signal there'd be no traces of summer until the following year.

The mid/late afternoon, near sunset or dusk, autumn references could suggest the low sun reflecting off your windscreen may be a potential cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mid/late afternoon, near sunset or dusk, autumn references could suggest the low sun reflecting off your windscreen may be a potential cause.

That's a good point, but it wasn't a factor in this particular incident. The sun was approaching the horizon to the south southwest or southwest. We were driving due north on a quite straight highway. In aviator terms, the birds were encountered and came at us from our 12 o'clock direction, whereas the sun was slightly behind and to the left of us at something like 8 o'clock.

The van was fully packed, so there was no way for sunlight to shine through its windows (from side or rear and out the windshield). The van was of a dull (more or less matte) medium green finish and didn't reflect light at all.

Last edited:

We approached a spot where we could see a large number of dark birds (apparently starlings) on the ground on both sides of the road. As we approached within something like 100 yards, they all lifted off and began to coalesce into a flying murmuration (i.e., a discernible but loose formation akin to one or more "streams" of birds). The birds collectively swooped and swirled, slowing elevating themselves higher and higher off the ground.

When we closed to around 20 - 30 yards, a large number of the birds (think of it as a sub-stream or branch of the overall murmuration) changed course and flew en masse directly at our van. They didn't waver or dodge; they simply flew into us at full speed. They battered against the van's front end and windshield with a sound like a heavy hailstorm, with their bodies flying / falling every which way.

My pal and I exclaimed "WTF!?!", and we could clearly see something like a couple of dozen bird corpses lying on the pavement in the rear view mirrors.

That was weird enough. The even weirder part was that this same scenario played out circa 4 or 5 times over the next couple of miles along that highway. It was the same story over and over ... A crowd of birds would be on the ground milling around until we got near, they'd take off and get into murmuration "formation", and when we got close enough a large number or even all the murmuration participants would come right at us as if deliberately trying to commit suicide.

After the first incident, my friend made a point to dramatically slow down as we approached the birds. This didn't make any difference - they'd take off, coalesce into a semi-organized mass, and come directly at us at full speed. The impression they gave was one of deliberate aiming and ramming.

During the coming days we mentioned the incident(s) in talking with locals at the club. Most didn't seem to know what we were talking about. However, there were a couple of native sons who nodded and said it had happened to them, too, and more than once. They confirmed features that matched our experience - the mass of birds on the ground, the take-off and murmuration coalescence, and finally the seemingly deliberate mass-ramming of their vehicles' front ends head-on. They also confirmed that their experiences had always occurred near sunset or at dusk, and always in the autumn around the time the weather turned cold and frosty once and for all.
That is the most odd behaviour I have heard about in a long time.
Like a scene from 'The Birds'.

Are there any ornithologists in the house?

Seriously, Enoloa Gaia, have you sent this information to scientists?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, Enoloa Gaia, have you sent this information to scientists?

No. It was a one-shot freaky incident. During the week we were in International Falls we had occasion to drive around in the countryside, and on our return trip southward we followed the same route. We observed groups of the same birds (presumably starlings) massed along the roads on these other excursions. In some cases, they didn't react to our approach in the van at all (i.e., they scattered away from the highway but didn't take flight). In other cases, they took flight but flew away or at least achieved altitude and didn't swirl around near, nor dive at, the road.

The key difference was that on the freaky day the birds took off and began swirling en masse ("murmurating", so to speak ... ) only a few feet off the ground (circa a person's height off the pavement up to something below treetop level).

One more point ... Our band required two vans to transport all our gear. The "attacked" van was a second generation (1968) VW van. The other van was a full-size American van. The two vans traveled the same exact route, but not together. The guys in the other van, who'd passed along the same stretch no more than 30 minutes before or after us, reported no such "attacks."

Last edited:
My wife says she heard of a case where a flock of starlings flew into a truck and was killed. Not quite the same thing, but I suspect it is related - a flock of starlings operates with a kind of collective consciousness, but it must be hard to maintain complete control.

he even weirder part was that this same scenario played out circa 4 or 5 times over the next couple of miles along that highway. It was the same story over and over ... A crowd of birds would be on the ground milling around until we got near, they'd take off and get into murmuration "formation", and when we got close enough a large number or even all the murmuration participants would come right at us as if deliberately trying to commit suicide.

This may be the answer. Murmurations are strange, looping displays, and sometimes part of the flock flies head-on towards another part of the flock in a display of what looks like aggression. Maybe they thought your van was a rival flock, and they were displaying competitive behaviour as a threat against you. The same thing might have happened in Anglesey; no need for wormholes or magnetic fields - just plain old bird behaviour in an inappropriate context.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...alling-from-sky-bird-deaths-arkansas-science/
Results from preliminary testing released Wednesday by the National Wildlife Health Center in Madison, Wisconsin, show the birds died from blunt-force trauma, supporting preliminary findings released by the Arkansas Livestock and Poultry Commission on Monday.
"They collided with cars, trees, buildings, and other stationary objects," said ornithologist Karen Rowe of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.

My wife says she heard of a case where a flock of starlings flew into a truck and was killed. Not quite the same thing, but I suspect it is related - a flock of starlings operates with a kind of collective consciousness, but it must be hard to maintain complete control.

lt puts me in mind of the flying displays of the Red Arrows. l read years ago that - in their tight formation work - only the chief pilot is looking where he’s going, and the rest are formating on him. Maybe once in a thousand murmurations, the lead position devolves to a fan of The Cure who’s just been chucked by his girlfriend.

maximus otter

Back