• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd & Disastrous Marriage Proposals

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
We don't seem to have an existing thread for this, but I'll bet there are a few other related odd stories out there!

Meet the bride and zoom.....
12:50pm Friday 9th March 2012 in Falmouth/Penryn

Journalists pride themselves on being first to know about a story – but the Packet’s news editor David Thomas was the last to find out about one of the biggest days in his life – his own wedding.

At 12.30pm on Saturday, February 18, friends and family who had gathered for his 40th birthday celebrations were shocked when Jeni, his partner of 15 years, got down on one knee and proposed.
They were left even more stunned when she announced the marriage would be taking place just two-and-a-half hours later. :shock:

The couple had been planning a quiet wedding in the summer – but Jeni, a senior assistant registrar at the University of Falmouth, had decided to bring it forward to make it a birthday weekend to remember.

With the help of the Registry Office in Falmouth she managed to get David to sign up for the wedding, without him realising the date it would actually take place, and managed to organise her dress, the rings and his suit without him spotting what was going on.
She even managed to gather family and friends together in Falmouth for the big day by telling them it was a surprise birthday party.

She said: “We were going to get married this summer, so I knew it was what Dave wanted – and I thought it would be the best way to show him how much I love him and make it a 40th birthday to remember."

David said: “I was stunned when I realised I would be getting married that day – as was everyone else in the room.
“It was a birthday to remember, one of the best days I’ve ever had.”

The couple were married at Falmouth Registry Office before heading to the Gylly Beach Cafe for drinks and photos and finally back to their home near Constantine for a party for family and friends.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fp ... zoom_____/

I thought she'd arranged it totally without his knowledge, which can't be done legally, but on re-reading I notice that he'd already signed up but didn't know the exact date.

Otherwise, he could have had her prosecuted for an attempted forced marriage! :lol:

Here's a marriage proposal gone horribly wrong ... On the other hand, her reported response wasn't the most tactful way of turning him down ...

Police: Man snapped woman's neck, ripped her eyes out after she rejected his marriage proposal
... Christopher Tucker, 34, has been charged with murder and criminal homicide for allegedly killing 19-year-old Tara Serino, who was last seen by her family early on the morning of October 30.

According to local police, Tucker asked Serino to marry him at his home in Berks County, Pennsylvania, sometime between Monday morning and Tuesday afternoon.

Serino rejected the proposal, stating that she was still sleeping with other men. The victim then allegedly made an off-hand comment that Tucker should "just kill her."

Police say Tucker flew into a fit of rage, choking Serino, snapping her neck, poking her eyes out and beating her with a hatchet until she died. ...

SOURCE: http://www.yahoo.com/news/police-man-snapped-woman-apos-183022156.html

If you want to propose marriage in a scenic or dramatic setting, it would probably be wise to consider whether you and your beloved can tolerate being there without suffering adverse side effects.

Proposal on Colorado peak leads to couple’s altitude issues
BOULDER, Colo. (AP) — A Texas man found a scenic location in the Colorado mountains to propose to his girlfriend, but the couple ran into trouble on the way down.

The Boulder County sheriff’s office says 27-year-old Joshua Mason of Denton, Texas, took 28-year-old Katie Davis on a hike Saturday to Jasper Peak at an elevation of nearly 13,000 feet (4,000 meters).

They got lost as darkness fell.

The couple were showing signs of altitude sickness and dehydration when a hiker found them. He led them to his camp and gave them food, water and a place to warm up. Another camper called for help.

Rescuers reached the camp early Sunday and walked the couple to their car. They didn’t require medical treatment.

Sgt. Clay Leak says deputies learned the engagement was still on.

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/834f54c8db87481b...lorado-peak-leads-to-couple's-altitude-issues

How things can go wrong: the ring falls down a grate.

Police in New York are hunting a couple who got engaged in Times Square on Friday but lost the ring down a grate.

CCTV images show the romantic proposal going wrong and the pair unsuccessfully trying to retrieve the piece of jewellery. After seeing the footage officers managed to rescue the ring, clean it up and now want to find its owners. They have put out a plea for the man and woman to come forward.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46418451

Here's an unusually sad case ...
American drowns after proposing to his girlfriend underwater in Tanzania

A Louisiana man has drowned after proposing to his girlfriend underwater while the couple was vacationing in Tanzania.

Steven Weber and Kenesha Antoine were staying in Pemba Island, CNN affiliate WBRZ reports, in a wooden cabin with a bedroom submerged beneath the ocean surface off the east coast of Africa. ...

Weber proposed on Thursday by swimming underwater and holding a handwritten note against the bedroom windows, according to a video Antoine posted Friday on Facebook, before presenting a ring.

The note, which Weber had placed inside a transparent plastic bag, read, "I can't hold my breath long enough to tell you everything I love about you. BUT...Everything I love about you I love more EVERY DAY!

"Will you please be my WIFE," the note continued. "Marry me???"

But Weber failed to return to the surface, Antoine said in a subsequent Facebook post. "You never emerged from those depths, so you never got to hear my answer, 'Yes! Yes! A million times, yes, I will marry you!!' " she wrote. ...

"We never got to embrace and celebrate the beginning of the rest of our lives together, as the best day of our lives turned into the worst, in the cruelest twist of fate imaginable," Antoine continued.
"I will try to take solace in the fact that we enjoyed the most amazing bucket list experiences these past few days, and that we both were so happy and absolutely giddy with excitement in our final moments together." ...

The Manta Resort, where the couple was staying, issued a statement on Saturday confirming the death.
"Our sincerest condolences, thoughts and prayers are with his girlfriend, families and friends impacted by this tragic accident," said Matthew Saus, the resort's CEO.

Local authorities were investigating, he added. ...
IMAGES Of The Proposal Provided At:
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/21/africa/tanzania-us-man-proposal-drowns-intl-trnd/index.html

Am I the only one wondering how an Underwater bedroom works?

In this case, it's a floating two-level suite anchored to the sea floor. The lower (bedroom) level is submerged, and it has windows allowing undersea viewing all around. Here's an illustrative photo from the Manta Resort's website ...

underwaterroom-Dome-705x529.jpg

SOURCE: http://www.themantaresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/underwaterroom-Dome-705x529.jpg

In this case, it's a floating two-level suite anchored to the sea floor. The lower (bedroom) level is submerged, and it has windows allowing undersea viewing all around. Here's an illustrative photo from the Manta Resort's website ...

It doesn't look like the bedroom level is that far down. His mistake was not taking an oxygen cylinder along.

Here's a strange proposal gambit from 2012 - one that could have backfired big-time. IMHO this guy's approach borders on bullying or psychopathy.
Russian Businessman Fakes Death Before Proposing To Girlfriend

Before a wealthy Russian businessman popped the question to his girlfriend, he decided he wanted to test her love, and make a point in the process. So 30-year-old Alexey Bykov hired a stuntman, make-up artist, screenwriter, and a director to stage his death ...

Bykov told his girlfriend, Irina Kolokov, to meet up with him. He then proceeded to pretend he perished in a car crash, complete with fake blood, an ambulance, a crashed car, and of course, a camera.

When Kolokov arrived, she saw the scene, was told her boyfriend had died, and was then surprised, and a bit angry, to see him walk out of the ambulance, flowers, balloons, and an engagement ring in hand. After a few tears, and an angry exclamation, she calmed down and accepted his proposal.

Apparently, Bykov was trying to make a point ...

"I wanted her to realize how empty her life would be without me and how life would have no meaning without me", Bykov said. "I think it worked - but I promise it's the last time."

SOURCE (With Photos):
https://www.businessinsider.com/rus...s-death-before-proposing-to-girlfriend-2012-9

Last edited:
It doesn't look like the bedroom level is that far down. His mistake was not taking an oxygen cylinder along.

I'd assumed he'd hired the full Cousteau clobber. Did he just try to hold his breath?

Here's a strange proposal gambit from 2012 - one that could have backfired big-time. IMHO this guy's approach borders on bullying or psychopathy.

SOURCE (With Photos):
https://www.businessinsider.com/rus...s-death-before-proposing-to-girlfriend-2012-9
Apparently, this is becoming widespread behaviour in Russia.
Fake arrests, abductions, emergency situations, organised by a company - just for the purpose of a proposal.
The only person who enjoys it is the nutter who paid for it.
Women in Russia should run away, because it could be a foretaste of what may come later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49566090

This proposal story is part of a broader scam / fraud criminal enterprise.
Deputies: Man proposes using rings stolen from other lover

A Florida man stole an engagement ring and wedding bands from a girlfriend and used them to propose to another girlfriend, according to authorities.

Volusia County Sheriff’s deputies said Thursday they have issued an arrest warrant for Joseph Davis, 48, who had not been found as of Friday.

Their investigation started earlier this year when a woman from Orange City, Florida, told detectives she had discovered her boyfriend was actually engaged to someone else. When she looked up the fiancée’s Facebook page, she noticed a photo of her wearing a wedding band and engagement ring that was identical to her own from a prior marriage ...

When the Orange City woman checked her jewelry box, she found her rings were missing, as were several other pieces of jewelry, including a diamond ring that belonged to her grandmother. The total value of the stolen property was about $6,270 ...

The Orange City woman reached out to the fiancee, who returned some of the items, and they both called it off with Davis, who also went by the names “Joe Brown” and “Marcus Brown,” the sheriff’s office said.

The fiancee, who lives in Orlando, told detectives she had been duped too.

Davis once took the fiancee to a house that actually belonged to the Orange City woman, while she was at work, and claimed it was his. He then asked the fiancee to move in with him, but he then disappeared. By that time, the fiancee discovered her laptop computer and jewelry were missing, the sheriff’s office said. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/arrests-florida-7b40937679d9a65b29787d65f0acca19

There is an old joke about the guy who went to ask a man for his daughter's hand in marriage.

His courage failed him, at the last moment; it seemed too much to ask.

So he asked him for his daughter's hand in masturbation instead. :oops:

Here's an unusually sad case ...

IMAGES Of The Proposal Provided At:
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/21/africa/tanzania-us-man-proposal-drowns-intl-trnd/index.html

There's nothing much online about this after the recovery of the body and a mention of a post-mortem.

There is of course speculation about the reason for his death by drowning. Favourites are that he either struck his head on something when surfacing and knocked himself out, or he dropped the ring and swam down to retrieve it and couldn't hold his breath long enough to surface safely.

There is also a feeling that although he was an experienced snorkeler he overestimated his abilities and lost track of time when making the proposal.

I dunno, it's so easy to drown. He was only out of sight for a minute. Very sad.

A graffiti marriage proposal which became a symbol of a city has been removed by developers. ... Urban Splash said the graffiti was removed for "essential repair work". Sam Feeley, who lives in one of the renovated flats, said he noticed the writing - I Love You Will U Marry Me - had been removed on Sunday.

View attachment 35408

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-south-yorkshire-55998485
I lived there for about a year when I was a student. It was a bleak, awful place that should have been torn down.

Back