• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

odd 'disguised' cameras

karmikdefiler

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
hey all, for a while now my missus has been telling me about some cctv cams that are supposedly disguised as birds, normally owls, in the areas around where we live. she was told this by her students at the local 6th form. a few days ago we had a drive around and we actually saw them. they do look like owls, about a foot tall and bushy looking, and their sited on top of the lamp posts. my first thought was its a real owl (we are close to a rural area) but it didnt move at all and it was a windy day. it does seem odd and it is in an area that is known locally for 'chavs' and the like. ill try to get some fotos sorted out...

has anyone else heard of anything like this?

Are you sure it's a camera and not a bird scarer? My local football team has just such an owl inside one of the stands to stop birds nesting there and crapping all over the seats.

Sounds like sreet art. I imagine the artists were making a wry comment about owls and eyes and surveillance.

Banksy did a similar thing in London with crows.

If they were meant to be in disguise, it must have been a prize idiot who came up with the idea of owls. How out of place is an owl?

Must have been a toss-up between that and the pterodactyl.

it wouldnt surprise me if they were doing that, i googled it and came up with alot of things living and objects that cameras were disguised in here are just a few.

spy1z.jpg

elephrazzi2.jpg

An elephant that's a camera!?!!
Is that because they can store more images in their memory?

JurekB said:
Are you sure it's a camera and not a bird scarer? My local football team has just such an owl inside one of the stands to stop birds nesting there and crapping all over the seats.

Rushden & Diamonds ground had them last time I went there, one in each corner of the ground if I remember.

jimv1 said:
An elephant that's a camera!?!!
Is that because they can store more images in their memory?

:lol:

they did the programme with the elephant cam so they could get close to other animals, the spies :D

its just if the cameras look more like sometihng we see everyday people are less likely to be suspicious or alert, its usually the simplest of things that are the most cunning when it comes to disguise.

You'll be telling me they're disguising them as mobile phones next!

Elephants would have an advantage of using their trunks to take pictures over high fences. And some of them could paint an accurate picture from memory...apparently.

Elephants disguised as mobile phones? They are so clever!

_Lizard23_ said:
Elephants disguised as mobile phones? They are so clever!

...so they can make trunk calls, no doubt!
:D

Where's me coat?

If elephants really get into this photography lark, how long will it be before they join the ranks of the paparazzi? I can't wait to see some celeb being chased by a herd of elephants.

I can see how this happens - when the fake owls are put up, people naturally prefer a sinister, secret explanation to the real one (they're quite effective for keeping birds off). I bet the supposed cameras are wireless with no power supply or visible lenses...

I remember seeing the fake owls in the US in the 70's - one company that out up TV aerials threw in a free owl at a place I used to visit, so they were everywhere.

The advantage of a CCTV camera disguised as an owl is that operationally, the head rotation of 360 degrees would look completely and utterly natural.

I thought the owl - Moloch - was chosen as a symbol for the Illuminati so they could laugh at us as when we looked confused.

What gets me is that you guys can have a thread like this & still question weather or not the UK is a police state!I should think it's obvious!LoL!

bigphoot1 said:
If elephants really get into this photography lark, how long will it be before they join the ranks of the paparazzi? I can't wait to see some celeb being chased by a herd of elephants.

yeah can you imagine if some celebrity tried to assault a elephant for taking pictures he really would be in a mess, and besides at least the elephants cant be sued. :D :lol:

How to deter elephant paparazzi? I can see the news byline now 'Johnny Depp unleashes herd of flaming pigs at prestigious London premiere'.

Think man! Mice!! The elephants would be jumping on chairs and climbing trees to escape.

_Lizard23_ said:
Think man! Mice!! The elephants would be jumping on chairs and climbing trees to escape.

Your version is a bit Tom n Jerry and mine is like the shock'n'awe of the Punic Wars. Leicester Square in flames!!!

jimv1 said:
How to deter elephant paparazzi? I can see the news byline now 'Johnny Depp unleashes herd of flaming pigs at prestigious London premiere'.

:lol:

or drunken celeb mistakes elephant for friend on a night out! :D

There's one of these owls in Oxford city Center, in a public square called Gloucester Green. Someone pointed out to me recently that it appears to have changed the direction in which faces. Surely combining a pigeon scarer with a CCTV camera would be more costly than having two seperate units...?

you never know what they were thinking when they put the cam up i the first place do you?

people do have a tendancy to go and do something without thinknig it through :lol:

waitew said:
What gets me is that you guys can have a thread like this & still question weather or not the UK is a police state!I should think it's obvious!LoL!

Absolutely. Someone posting on a messageboard about a rumour should be enough to convince anyone.

Well if you were able to go and see them, why not take a pic or two while you were at it?

Dare I say it:

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!

As you were.

LD

Back