Odd Dreams Of Relatives Who've Passed Over

The_Discordian

Junior Acolyte
The only times I've ever dreamt about deceased relatives, it's always a very peaceful, happy experience - I have a little chat with them where they tell me not to worry about them, and that's that.

On the other hand, my parents lost a much-loved family dog last year after eleven very happy years, and whenever I dream about *him*, I know it's wrong and that he shouldn't be there, and I wake up feeling as if I've just had a plaster ripped off an emotional wound (without wishing to sound overly dramatic). This is the third dog my parents have lost, and I've never dreamt about his predecessors at all. Very sad :(.

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
My stepdad passed away a couple of years back and about 2 months after he died, I had the following dream.
The following is a direct quote from what I wrote down immediately after having the dream; do forgive the tense....

L's family owned a lakehouse somewhere. I was out there and so were his brothers and their wives. I was outside talking to one of their relatives (who I didn't know, though he looked familiar; vaguely like Dom DeLouise) and we were looking at pics of L's childhood. Suddenly this guy turned into/was L. I asked him how the transition (from life to death) was. He looked at me for a moment and mentioned something about how when you try to go and do something there was all of this damned grass in the way. It was an allusion to all of the portrayals of Heaven as a bunch of verdant fields and plains.

He said something about a very important book coming (out? Through the mail?) that involved Transformation and Instructions for what to do. By this time, other relatives who were sitting at the same picnic table started looking at me funny. L waved goodbye and I had the impression that I'd see him again soon.

I'm in the house now, telling L's brother about seeing L. Other people walk in. I also talk to a ne're-do-well brother (who doesn't actually exist) who was talking about needing to borrow money to pay off an $8 debt. Then he wanted to raise $550 from each of us interested in taking a long road trip to Georgia.

I start talking to someone else who I sorta recognized. HE turns into L and motions for me to be quiet. I want to talk with him, so I suggest somewhere private.

Now I'm walking down to the beach and docks where all sorts of people are fishing and swimming. There are t-rexes and other carnivorous dinosaurs all over the docks, not bothering the fishermen. They catch wind of me and start hunting me. I run along the beach which is now covered with dinosaurs. I jumped, fully clothed, into the water and try to climb a cliff face. Yep, dinos there, too.
Finally, I relax and fall backwards into the water thinking that if I take a deep breath, I'll wake up (I had not been lucid until this point). This is precisely what happens.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
My mother recently told me about her dream of her dear sister in law Joyce, to whom she'd been close. Joyce had died young of a fierce brain tumour, sadly leaving two little daughters.
My cousins and I are nearly 60 now and we still remember their Mum, my aunt, very clearly. She was beautiful and kind.

Anyway... my mother took Joyce's sudden illness and death very badly. She cried every day and would visit her own mother most evenings because she felt she was upsetting her own family with her grief.

After a couple of weeks of this, my mother awoke early one morning to hear Joyce speaking in her distinctive West Midlands accent. She was saying warmly 'It's all right, love! It's all right!'

Mother felt comforted and from then on, her grief eased and she was able to get through a day without breaking down.
Yup, it was Mother's own subconscious telling her to get a grip! - but how beautifully done. :)

G

GeorgeP

I had a wonderful dream of my grandmother in the early hours of christmas day last year. I dreamt that there was aknock at the door, I opened the front door and there she was. Smiling she asked me how I was and I kind of stutted a few responses. She was carrying a biscuit tin which she opened and passed me a coconut tart - i think - which I began to eat as she stood there. The dog ran up to my feet and suddenly realising that the door was open I moved to stop him escaping. When I looked back she had gone....and then I awoke.

AnnieOly

Fresh Blood
My folks were life long 7th Day Adventists, and as such they believed that the soul stays asleep after death until Jesus returns and everyone is resurrected. So they absolutely did not believe that people could be ghosts or have any awareness after death.

About 10 years after my dad died my mom came to us one morning and told us about a dream she had. 'He (my dad) sat next to me, held my hands and told me that everything was going to be ok' she said with a look of complete astonishment. She said how real it seemed but that it couldn't have been, but that it was just like he was really there. Less than a month later she had a series of strokes which led to her death within a short time afterwards. I've always been convinced that was really him who showed up in her dream to reassure her.

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Not an odd dream so much as needed at the time.

A couple months a go, I had been having a really rough time of it, problems with mental health and lots and lots of stress. I was at breaking point. It was the first time I had slept in 3 days. And this dream, I was sitting in a sofa, in a log cabin that had a huge stone fire place. And leaning on the mantle piece was my Grandfather. And he was smiling at me. When he died he had cancer that spread throughout his body but there was no sign of that at all, he was standing there, as strong as he used to be.

Anyway, he asked me what was wrong. So I told him. Everything. He gave me a huge hug. Felt just like I was 10 years old again. And then we played draughts/checkers for what felt like a long, long time, just like we used to and it must have been before I woke up, he gave me another hug and a smile, said "You're a fighter. You'll get through it. I know you will." Which echoes something he said to my mother, once, when I was seriously ill. It was so vivid. Just as vivid as I'm sitting in my living room right now. I wrote it all down so I wouldn't forget it but it's stayed fresh in my mind since.

He was the only father figure I ever had. And was always there if needed. And in this time he was needed, he was there. I hadn't been thinking about him, or anything at the time. But, I felt a little happier when I woke up. And I'm still welling up writing it down, now.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
(I've just been thanking George for his tarot reading, and I mentioned how my ex husband died unexpectedly at the end of January.)

My son rang me up two days ago to tell me about this dream:-
He dreamt he was with his dad and they were chatting cheerfully and casually -
"How are you doing?" "Fine, thanks", sort of thing.
Then my son said "Do you know you're dead?" and his dad answered in surprise "Oh, am I?".

My son says he woke up with tears streaming down his cheeks, although the dream had been "happy".

I'm hoping the dream was from my son's own subconscious to help him release emotion and come to terms with the fact that his dad is dead. (My son sometimes says he can hardly believe it.)

I have spiritualist leanings -I would hate to think that me ex husband really didn't know that he had "passed over"-
I want him to be able to "move on".

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
(I've just been thanking George for his tarot reading, and I mentioned how my ex husband died unexpectedly at the end of January.)

Then my son said "Do you know you're dead?" and his dad answered in surprise "Oh, am I?".

My son says he woke up with tears streaming down his cheeks, although the dream had been "happy".

I'm hoping the dream was from my son's own subconscious to help him release emotion and come to terms with the fact that his dad is dead. (My son sometimes says he can hardly believe it.)

I have spiritualist leanings -I would hate to think that me ex husband really didn't know that he had "passed over"-

It makes you wonder how many of us are dead but just don't know it, brrrrr!!!

G

GeorgeP

Perhaps your husbands expression of "Oh, am I" was in fact a sign expressing his new life and how it feels.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
If it really was the spirit of your ex, maybe that dream was all the nudge he needed to move on? Think positive.

Yes. I've been thinking to myself that if that really was my ex talking to my son, unaware of his own death, at least he now has been told!
If we DO survive after death, we all have lots of caring family members "over there" to help us come to terms with the situation. ("Think positive "indeed. )

coat98

Fresh Blood
Just thought I'd sign up to post this.

I was very close to my grandma, who was taken ill Christmas Day 2013 and died January 2014. My birthday is in mid December and on my birthday in 2013 I visited her and found her to be in generally good spirits (she'd been complaining of feeling under the weather for a few days but looked like she'd perked up recently.) After visiting her, I had to come back from the car because we realised we'd left the parking permit in there. She kept it on the sideboard in the entry and normally I would have just run in, dropped it off and shouted "Bye!". This time, however, I walked in, then had the urge to go and see her and kiss her goodbye again. I did, and that ultimately ended up being the last time I saw her.

Being in palliative care for just under a month before passing, I had a lot of time to grieve for her, and whilst I missed her terribly, after a few weeks everything went back to normal. I always give her a little nod if ever I'm thinking of her, but had never experienced anything odd.

Then, in about February this year, I had a dream in which I was on the street she lived on. She was on the other side of the road standing outside her house with a man in a suit (I didn't, and still don't, know his identity). I had a very brief conversation with her that went along the lines of me telling her she was dead and wondering how she was here, to which she replied "Not like that!" with a smile. I woke up then.

To date I've never had any more "visits" from grandma. I've since linked the day I saw her as being around the time of her birthday. I know it's probably all the product of an overactive imagination, but I like to think maybe she was just assuring me she was still around.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
What do you think she meant by saying "Not like that!"?

coat98

Fresh Blood
What do you think she meant by saying "Not like that!"?
I think of it as her telling me that even though her body isn't around, her presence isn't dead. I'm not sure if that fits into the "rejection of death" dream pattern described in this thread.

G

GeorgeP

Just thought I'd sign up to post this.

I was very close to my grandma, who was taken ill Christmas Day 2013 and died January 2014. My birthday is in mid December and on my birthday in 2013 I visited her and found her to be in generally good spirits (she'd been complaining of feeling under the weather for a few days but looked like she'd perked up recently.) After visiting her, I had to come back from the car because we realised we'd left the parking permit in there. She kept it on the sideboard in the entry and normally I would have just run in, dropped it off and shouted "Bye!". This time, however, I walked in, then had the urge to go and see her and kiss her goodbye again. I did, and that ultimately ended up being the last time I saw her.

Being in palliative care for just under a month before passing, I had a lot of time to grieve for her, and whilst I missed her terribly, after a few weeks everything went back to normal. I always give her a little nod if ever I'm thinking of her, but had never experienced anything odd.

Then, in about February this year, I had a dream in which I was on the street she lived on. She was on the other side of the road standing outside her house with a man in a suit (I didn't, and still don't, know his identity). I had a very brief conversation with her that went along the lines of me telling her she was dead and wondering how she was here, to which she replied "Not like that!" with a smile. I woke up then.

To date I've never had any more "visits" from grandma. I've since linked the day I saw her as being around the time of her birthday. I know it's probably all the product of an overactive imagination, but I like to think maybe she was just assuring me she was still around.

A pleasure to meet you here and thanks for sharing that. You've added to the richness of this forum and I for look forward to your future posts my friend.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
A great post, thank you!

I had a very brief conversation with her that went along the lines of me telling her she was dead and wondering how she was here, to which she replied "Not like that!" with a smile. I woke up then.
I agree about the 'denial of death' idea. After a friend died, I dreamed of arguing with him - 'What're you doing here? You're dead!' 'No I'm not, that's just a story (the girlfriend) is putting about!'

Dreamed of my late father too, who seemed to have turned up for his own funeral.

When I reminded him of his death he showed me his new Action Man-like featureless torso and said 'I'm all changed now.' I took it that he was changed into spirit, as he believed he would be at death.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I think of it as her telling me that even though her body isn't around, her presence isn't dead. I'm not sure if that fits into the "rejection of death" dream pattern described in this thread.
Maybe she just wanted to be different! Sounds like a reassuring dream, as long as you remember her she won't be gone.

Two nights ago I dreamt my grandmother was standing beside the bed and dropping coins on me to wake me up. I did wake (in the dream) and saw she was smiling but then a coin fell in my mouth and I started choking. I woke up (in reality) coughing and spluttering. It was morning anyway and time to get up.

It's over ten years since she died and while she did leave me a bit of money when she went, that's all long gone now.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Two nights ago I dreamt my grandmother was standing beside the bed and dropping coins on me to wake me up. I did wake (in the dream) and saw she was smiling but then a coin fell in my mouth and I started choking. I woke up (in reality) coughing and spluttering. It was morning anyway and time to get up.

It's over ten years since she died and while she did leave me a bit of money when she went, that's all long gone now.
Dave, by any chance have you read The Ocean At The End Of The Lane?
At one point, the protaganist of that book wakes up choking on a coin.

Dave, by any chance have you read The Ocean At The End Of The Lane?
At one point, the protaganist of that book wakes up choking on a coin.
No, :eek:wow never heard of it. What happens? I wonder if it's some kind of obscure dream archetype.

Edit to add - Looked it up on amazon - Neil Gaiman. I bought that for my Mother in Law, but we've never discussed the plot, but I have heard of it.

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Despite being a prolific recounter of "psychic" dreams on here AND having now several long complex tales of apparent communication via "signs" (see today's update on the Sign of the Cross thread..its a doozy), I can honestly say I've never had a dream of a dead loved one suggestive of anything ghostly or meaningful.

Until recently (by which I mean I can't recall the last time he appeared) my father has been a regular character in my dreams for the more than 10 years since his death, but his death is never referenced or percieved in the dreams at all. It's just perfectly natural for him to be there like any of my living siblings.

The night of his (expected) death though my mother did dream of laying her head on his shoulder and being comforted. And some time later my eldest brother had a dream conversation with my dad in which he told him to pass on the reassurance to her not to worry about money...which she/we never have it has to be said.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
No, :eek:wow never heard of it. What happens? I wonder if it's some kind of obscure dream archetype.

Edit to add - Looked it up on amazon - Neil Gaiman. I bought that for my Mother in Law, but we've never discussed the plot, but I have heard of it.
Well, in the book, it's sign that some strange and ancient power has awoken.
If your dream is the same kind of sign, all I can say is - for heaven's sake, don't go out in your bare feet!
(You'll have to read the book to find out why. :D )

From a less fantasy-novel inspired perspective, did your grandmother ever give you any financial advice that would be useful to you now?

Well, in the book, it's sign that some strange and ancient power has awoken.
Excellent. I thought as much.;)

for heaven's sake, don't go out in your bare feet!
This I can manage.

From a less fantasy-novel inspired perspective, did your grandmother ever give you any financial advice that would be useful to you now?
Only to try and save money and not fritter it away. Looking back, I was quite loose with my cash at the time of her death. These days I save more than I spend so maybe she's* pleased with that. Or maybe I should think about spending more so I don't figuratively choke. The last time I bought anything other than food was a shirt for work about ten weeks ago.

*or my subconscious self.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I like buying food. It's nearly as much fun as eating it.

At work I sometimes run through the contents of my fridge in my head, planning meals. When I get home I'm normally too hungry to cook anything elaborate though so it's crammed down as it is. ;)

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Dead boring me. :D
I do have my moments though. I thought about getting a Play Station after seeing Witcher 3 but thankfully it passed after a couple of days.
The trouble with the Witcher games is they are great for the first two acts, then get repetitive. I love them but never finished them.