• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Jobs (Unusual Gigs, Positions & Vocations)

GENEVA — Wanted: Hermit to live in secluded cave-like cabin to take care of nearby chapel and gorge, dispense wisdom and talk to tourists. Position pays $24,000 a year, plus room and board and a paid vacation.

Twenty-two people applied for this unusual vacancy advertised by the northern Swiss town of Solothurn. Former policeman Michael Daum, 55, snagged the position that has existed since the 15th century.

Starting in October, he will begin a solitary existence in his isolated dwelling.

"I have lots of respect for the new job, and am looking forward to starting it,” Daum told the Solothurner Zeitung newspaper Tuesday.

City Council president Sergio Wyniger said Daum was picked, because "in Michael, we have found a charismatic personality, which is the right quality for our hermit," according to the newspaper. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/why-a-swiss-town-pays-dollar24000-a-year-for-a-hermit/ar-BBwHSAa
I didn't notice this before but this would be very high on my list of perfect jobs. I like looking after churches and what have you, I thrive on being alone, and I am a very chatty person (I know that sounds kind of paradoxical but I'm as happy chatting to random animals, bits of stone, the odd tree, and myself if needs must, as I am with other humans. I like talking!). If any Scottish, Welsh, Northumbrian, Irish, or anywhere really, estate or region wants a chatty, warm and friendly recluse to look after a desolate moor or abandoned church, give me a bell. Or rather, write me a letter. I don't answer the 'phone. I am a recluse after all...

I didn't notice this before but this would be very high on my list of perfect jobs. I like looking after churches and what have you, I thrive on being alone, and I am a very chatty person (I know that sounds kind of paradoxical but I'm as happy chatting to random animals, bits of stone, the odd tree, and myself if needs must, as I am with other humans. I like talking!). If any Scottish, Welsh, Northumbrian, Irish, or anywhere really, estate or region wants a chatty, warm and friendly recluse to look after a desolate moor or abandoned church, give me a bell. Or rather, write me a letter. I don't answer the 'phone. I am a recluse after all...

Me too! I talk to everything. I think it's too many years of being surrounded by children and animals! I've always thought these jobs sounded excellent.

I can see a couple of old shelters/barns up on the hills opposite me when I'm walking to the shop and often daydream about going and living in one. I would need a way to charge my iPod though :oops:

I'd like a job on an uninhabited island for a few months, counting and speaking to the wildlife.

This seems to be the FTMB thread where such things have historically been mentioned ...

WANTED PART-TIME IN AUSTRIA: A HERMIT

... Municipal and Roman Catholic church officials in the Austrian town of Saalfelden are looking for someone to live in a nearby hermitage built into steep cliffs characteristic of the Salzburg region.

... The parish website says the position is unpaid. And because it's unheated and without running water, the hermitage is inhabitable only between April and November.

State broadcaster ORF on Thursday cited cleric Alois Moser as saying the search is on for "a person at peace with himself." Moser says the successful candidate also should have a Christian outlook and be ready to greet visiting pilgrims.

The more than 350-year-old building has been uninhabited since a Benedictine monk left in the fall.

SOURCE: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-01-12-12-06-16

Here's an odd job vacancy waiting to be filled ...

Resort operator seeks 'pro-vacationist' for $120,000 a year
A firm in Mexico posted a job opening for a "pro-vacationist" to spend a year staying at luxury resorts and sharing the experience on social media.

Grupo Vidanta, which operates several resorts in Mexico, said on its website that it is seeking a social media savvy "ambassador" to spend a year staying for free at resorts in Nuevo Vallarta, Riviera Maya, Los Cabos, Acapulco, Puerto Penasco and Puerto Vallarta.

The job pays $120,000 for one year, as well as travel expenses and meal credits at resort restaurants.

The firm said the "pro-vacationist" will be subject to experiences including learning to salsa dance, "ushering baby turtles into the ocean," swimming with whale sharks, "determining how many hours of poolside lounging is too many" and "having a pair of sunglasses for EVERY OCCASION."

Interested applicants are instructed to fill out a form on Grupo Vidanta's website by Oct. 21, with the winning applicant to be selected Nov. 1.

"Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a video along with their resume to tell us why they're the perfect fit for this opportunity while showcasing their personality," the website states.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...tionist-for-120000-a-year/7401536247430/?sl=2

I still get my milk delivered, though twice a week.
Yeah, there are still a few milkmen left. They franchised it out.
That list may be US-centric...maybe there are no milkmen left in the US?

Poor alligators, being chucked around like that.
I agree the transportation's a bit rough and ready but they are alligators after all so the men don't want to get bitten .. plus they're being taken to hibernation land so they'll be safer there. Hopefully. 13,000 of them!

I agree the transportation's a bit rough and ready but they are alligators after all so the men don't want to get bitten .. plus they're being taken to hibernation land so they'll be safer there. Hopefully. 13,000 of them!
Safer? Next to the handbag factory?

The professional cuddlist (cuddler) sector seems to be growing apace ...
This 34-year-old gets paid to cuddle people
In a large room inside an small office complex in Portland, Oregon, 10 men and women gather on a bed that covers the entire floor. Dressed in comfortable clothing, they begin snuggling each other in a group cuddle. This is not an orgy. Instead, it's a playful, platonic hug session. ...

It all started five years ago, after Hess divorced her undemonstrative high school sweetheart because she could no longer live in a "touch desert." She was working a boring job as an installation coordinator at a security company when she read a story about a guy charging $2 for "deluxe" hugs. ...

So Hess took $500 to buy a business license and build her own website and formed Cuddle Up to Me. Friends thought she was crazy, telling her, "That's not a thing." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/29/cuddle-up-to-me-professional-cuddler-gets-paid-to-give-hugs.html

And if you wish to see how far the 'cuddlist' market space has grown, check out:

https://cuddlist.com

You UK residents might consider a side job as a professional mourner ...
Now You Can Hire Fake Mourners To Cry At Your Funeral
Melanie Hall, The Telegraph Mar. 28, 2013, 10:30 AM
British mourners are renting "professional sobbers" to blub at funerals to make people believe the deceased was really popular.

For £45 an hour, the fake mourners can be rented to cry for the duration of a funeral service in order to swell the numbers at funerals.

Ian Robertson, the founder of Rent-a-Mourner, in Braintree, Essex, admits the idea may be unfamiliar to the British, although the phenomenon is popular in places such as Asia.

The mourners-for-hire are briefed on the life of the deceased and would be able to talk to friends and relatives as if they really had known their loved one. ...

Rent-A-Mourner Website: http://www.rentamourner.co.uk

You UK residents might consider a side job as a professional mourner ...

Rent-A-Mourner Website: http://www.rentamourner.co.uk
I recruited my old flat mate to be a fake mourner once ... the deceased was a friend of mine and had died in our building. I learned that his sister was worried that his dad ... I can't even tell this without anyone thinking bullshit but his dad was in a position of power .. she was worried that his dad would think he didn't have any friends and she was partially right .. so to skip to the end of this one, Dan rinsed the free bar, I apologised to anyone who would listen, we were asked to leave, she told me "That's OK, Paul would have loved it" .. that day was f*****g embarrassing ..

BUT ..

Dan read a beautiful poem, he spent time looking through English classics, I can't remember which one he chose but think Shelly or Byron or some other classical English poet .. he stood there in a flowery shirt (because it was a humanist funeral) in front of everyone we'd certainly never met before and rocked this poem that caused the dad of Paul to start crying .. so then Dan rinsed the free bar, as per the start of this story and we were asked to leave .. to be honest, Dan earned those drinks but the family won't ever know why except for me and dead Paul's sister.

Rinsed the free bar...? What does that mean?

Rinsed the free bar...? What does that mean?
When you take advantage of a bar that you're told you don't have to pay for the drinks at. Bad taste to do at a wedding if you have any morals because you're supposed to use an internal barometer .. even worse taste at a funeral wake free bar .. rinsing meaning the same as squeezing every last drop out of a wet towel as if you were wringing it out for example and comparison.

Last edited:
Somebody's Dream Job alert! ... :dinner: :drool: :hunger:
Cadbury, Oreo manufacturer seeks paid 'Chocolate Taster'
A British company is hiring for a sweet job: tasting chocolate for brands including Cadbury and Oreo.

Mondelez International, based in England, is seeking someone to fill an opening on a 12-person panel charged with taste testing new chocolate products from its brands.

The "Chocolate Tasters" are charged with "sharing opinions and collaborating with others to reach an agreement on taste," the company said.

"No experience is required as full training will be provided to develop your taste buds and the specific vocabulary required to communicate your opinions," the job posting states.

The part-time job pays $14 an hour and includes benefits such as life insurance, pensions and paid vacations.

"Due to an expected high number of applications for this tasty role, if you have not heard from us within 14 working days, your application has not been successful and we recommend you visit out career website for more opportunities," the company said.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...er-seeks-paid-Chocolate-Taster/4131551381454/

3%20askideas.jpg

maximus otter

Back