• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Little Statue

Maybe it is. It strikes me as a Kuan Yin figure.

Yes, it's Kwan Yin sitting on the lion, it's a classic pose obviously popularly reproduced. The boddhisattva of compassion who hears the cries of the world. She probably holds the sword to cut through delusion. Although I'm not entirely sure it's a sword. Keep her well-dusted. Some day you'll need her and there she'll be.

I work in a library. Sometimes, if I have my cart at the end of an aisle and grab three books off the cart to shelve. When I return to my cart, I discover a new a stack of books there. The patron just saw a cart, thought "I've got some books, and I've got to leave them somewhere - that looks like a great spot!".

I bet when your daughter was getting rid of things, somebody just dropped it in the box and it was not discovered until you picked it up.

Either that or it's possessed - GET OUT OF THE HOUSE - the calls are originating in the upstairs bedroom!:exercise:

I work too in a library and sometimes, the most absent minded put the books not checked in into the reshelve trolley...

So, the sword in her hand appears to be a pin(!?). I have given up my chance of fortune by handing over said statue to Daughter Number One, who has her on her desk at work.

I am still positive that it came from Daughter Three's old house (it wasn't a university house, she and her boyfriend privately rented a little maisonette, which was newly built and unfurnished). I should establish the antecedants of the equally hideous glass-fronted brown cupboard which I am equally positive it must have been squatting in (although all cupboards had to be emptied to move them, they came in a van to my house). Maybe the van is the culprit?

Both daughter and boyfriend are quite adamant that it's not theirs. Investigations continue.

Don't worry, no one got my Monkeys Paw reference either.

upload_2018-5-23_23-39-20.png

If it's anything like this, it's worth quite a lot of money!

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Tibet-Pure-Bronze-Copper-24K-Gold-Gilt-god-wealth-Buddha-Ride-on-Tiger-Statue/183223891640?hash=item2aa8feb6b8:g:j4kAAOSw401aJ5lf&_trkparms=gclientid=bCkiTARydjwyT1bid6vuxkECpL3AmMVFvV6ewkdSZh4arpBKYZV1MBaZ1d3sHYa7&_trksid=p2489528.m4335.l8656[/QUOTE
I clicked on that link at the time and thought it was hideous.
Today in the inbox Ebay has sent a picture and urged me to have another look and buy it.
Not likely.

Quite like the Fortean angle Min B referred to: The People Who Put Things Over There

@catseye, Had any of your chicks ever housesat and invited their mates over for a party or something?

They housesit for me frequently, but my rural location, lack of transport and general falling down nature of my house (plus very barky dogs) mean that houseparties happen elsewhere, Skinny! Good thinking though.

Still no further news. Everyone is denying all knowledge, although daughter in possession of the Thing is wishing like mad, no response to report.

Sorry to anyone and everyone being forced to look at repeat pictures of the hideous thing. Quite glad to have it gone, goddess of luck or not!

I ALWAYS 'get' a Monkey's Paw reference. One of my very favourite stories. :monkey:

My favourite bit is when Mr White holds the paw to make a wish and it twists in his hand like a snake so he throws it down in disgust.
I'm just about to watch the 1948 film version of the Monkey's Paw starring Alfie Bass and Sidney Tafler, recorded a few nights ago on the excellent TalkingPics TV channel on Freesat.

I'm just about to watch the 1948 film version of the Monkey's Paw starring Alfie Bass and Sidney Tafler, recorded a few nights ago on the excellent TalkingPics TV channel on Freesat.

Talking Pictures truly is an excellent TV channel :)

Speaking of Monkey's Paw, I've clearly missed out on a lot cuz I thought it was a Monkees episode, didn't realise till the conversation on this thread that there was an actual film about it before then. :watch:

Talking Pictures truly is an excellent TV channel :)

Speaking of Monkey's Paw, I've clearly missed out on a lot cuz I thought it was a Monkees episode, didn't realise till the conversation on this thread that there was an actual film about it before then. :watch:
That said, the 1948 film was very poor - the IMDB 5.8 average rating was generous! It was shot on a budget of just over zero and had some of the worst back-screen projection I'd ever seen, and I'm a lifelong cineaste! Soooo slow too, and I love older movies (my all-time favourite film dates from 1946, one of my other faves from 1955).

Did anyone in your family have to clear out the house of a deceased relative? Among my boxes of my mom's things I found the distressing (odd bits of hearing aids) and the sublime (a pair of earrings that I love) that I had never seen before. Could some be unboxed and parked at your place?

I did help my brother clear out my mum's place, Gerda, but as that's 350 miles away and I only brought back anything that I wanted to keep (and my mum wouldn't have touched that statue with a long pole), I don't think it's from hers. I think it's been in my house since before my mum died, too.

The mystery continues... (also, I am still not a millionaire, neither is daughter. Think statue might be broken.)

Sorry to pop the "hidden treasure" angle, but if there is anyone left in this thread who thinks this sort of thing could be valuable, it isn't.

Guanyin / Avalokiteshvara "statuettes" turn up as trinkets in Buddhist nations that have tourist resorts, usually made of cast resin and costing thruppence ha'penny.

Who was involved in helping with the move out of the Uni house? Could it be that this item was lying around but not clearly in view, owned by some previous resident, and a helper (in packing stuff into bexes) scooped it up and flung it in with the "proper" posessions, not realising that it wasn't supposed to go?

Or... maybe Avalokiteshvara is orchestrating the phenomenon, steering the travelling object through house after house, to finally bring it to a destination where its symbolic radiating of compassion and loving-kindness is to benefit someone in need of those positive forces and skilful thinking?

Maybe your shelf is just a single hop in a greater journey?

(I admire the teachings of Buddha but I don't usually "get on board with" the extra window-dressing).

Oh we know it's not valuable Severs. No body would give you more than tuppence for the ugly little thing. And Daughter and her boyfriend didn't live in a Uni house, it was a private rental, unfurnished, only their things in the house!

Still no exciting fortunes to report, although the Daughter who has custody of the thing now has a slightly better job title (without moving jobs). On the downside, my Other Half's house burned down and a close friend has announced she has cancer, so...

Back