• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Things Encountered On Mars' Surface

You can find all the "skulls" you want like this along the banks of any glacially-carved river in the eastern United States. The technical name for them is "rocks."

And I do believe there are genuine anomalies on Mars.

I still think its a "fish head", probably 500,000 years old.
From a old "fish and chips" stand that the Martians ate at. :p

I still think its a skull :p

hey, there's about a zillion photo's on NASA site ( that the rovers took) won't someone post one that looks as good as the one I found?

(except the one of the humanoid skull) :)

Dingo667 said:
Look further down the images, these stones resemble that "skull" a lot.
http://www.weirdomatic.com/tag/space

No, what this is is the nesting/breeding ground for ORBS.

Orbs are Martians spying on us! Pass it on.

And do it quickly, before the orbs come for m

Last edited by a moderator:
OldTimeRadio said:
Dingo667 said:
Look further down the images, these stones resemble that "skull" a lot.

No, what this is is the nesting/breeding ground for ORBS.

Orbs are Martians spying on us! Pass it on.

And do it quickly, before the orbs come for m

Surely this picture "Roaring Jets - Jets of Carbon dioxide gas erupting from the south polar ice cap." is a artists impression. That casn't possibly be a photo?!

That is a nice collection of images;
the one called Roaring Jets reminds me of an old movies called Robinson Crusoe on Mars.
And you are right; it is an artist's impression.

Of the anomalous images of Martian Rocks, my favorite has always been this one; I call it 'Gorilla in a Tux'

ARM outstretched, head tilted in mid-stride — is this mystery figure the final proof that life exists on Mars?

The intriguing image was captured by Nasa’s six-wheeled robot explorer Spirit during its three-month mission to study the surface of the Red Planet.

Snapped at the rock-strewn Gusev Crater, believed by scientists to be the bed of an ancient lake, the grainy picture appears to show a Bigfoot-style alien creature strolling casually down a hill.

Spirit ... found proof of life?

Its bulbous “head” is cocked to one side, as if in concentration, while its right “arm” appears to be reaching out for balance.

Scientists believe that if Mars DID once have surface water, it had the potential to support life.

And some say this could be the crucial evidence of inhabitants that they were seeking when they launched their £400million mission in 2003.

The “creature” was spotted when space enthusiasts analysed photos beamed 100million miles to Earth by Spirit and its twin explorer Opportunity.

Of course, hard-nosed realists may claim the “Martian” is simply a trick of the light and shadow on a dust-covered outcrop.

But whatever it shows, the mind-boggling image will set people guessing from Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads.

It’s a genuine space oddity

This is one weird photo, more than likely a coincidence, interesting nonethelesss

To me it looks like the bigfoot from the Patterson-Gimli footage.

There's no way anyone could think this is anything other than a rock; the "what can it be?" angle and talk of aliens was only introduced by the media because they were short on real news.

Mystery image of 'life on Mars'

An image of a mysterious shape on the surface of Mars, taken by Nasa spacecraft Spirit, has reignited the debate about life on the Red Planet.
A magnified version of the picture, posted on the internet, appears to some to show what resembles a human form among a crop of rocks.

While some bloggers have dismissed the image as a trick of light, others say it is evidence of an alien presence.

The image is a recent Nasa posting of the Spirit's landing in 2004.

Perspective

When the robotic rover set down on 24 January 2004, its images disappointed space-watchers hoping for signs of extraterrestrial life.

Now they appear convinced that this image provides the evidence they have been trawling Nasa's photo files for.

The blown-up image seems to resemble a figure striding among the Martian rocks.

The internet has been abuzz with postings offering theories.

One said it was a garden gnome, another that it was the Virgin Mary.

A third suggested Bigfoot, the hairy bipedal mountain beast that appears in various guises in a number of legends around the world.

But the consensus seemed to be that it bore a striking resemblance to the Little Mermaid statue in the Danish capital, Copenhagen.

Poster "Madurobob" said it was a statue "obviously built by an ancient civilisation that later departed Mars and settled Denmark".

Badastronomy.com tried to apply some perspective: "A man? It's a tiny rock only a few inches high. It's only a few feet from the rover!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7205004.stm

Here's a 4x blow-up of the pic on the beeb site

Martian2.jpg

- damn queer looking rock!

Could be a rock monster like in Galaxy Quest.

What strikes me here is nothing to do with the photo, and everything to do with the photo's context.

Though it is unwise to limit the universe by what we observe here on earth, it is far from unwise to extrapolate from what we do know and make predictions based on the principles derived from our own case; then, when these predictions are confirmed or falsified their shortcomings can be corrected using the new data, new predictions made to be tested in turn against the world and so on ad infinitum. This is of course the scientific ideal and is no more likely to operate perfectly in the real world than any other ideal, but as a rough guideline it's proven to be a fruitful method.

Now, what prediction can we make about life in the universe based on what we learn from life on our planet?

First, that - if it exists at all, it exists abundantly and in variety.

The reasons for this are simple. Life requires energy to sustain it; if it has no reproductive capacity is not alive; adaption and mutation over time tend to create interrelated systems of life that produce and consume energy. Plants consume sunlight; animals consume plants; bigger animals consume smaller animals - yes, the food chain works. If there isn't enough life to maintain a food chain, life dies out.

In particular, large complex life depends on a teeming network of simple life forms, from gut bacteria to insects, and these simple life forms in turn depend on us.

This is so true that the sparsest environments on earth, the deserts, support tens of thousands of species. This is all laid out in layman's terms here, http://www.desertusa.com/mag05/feb/food.html, but you can confirm the conclusions anywhere you like. It's straightforward middle-school biology.

So it is a reasonable prediction that, if we find life on Mars, we're going to find a lot of it; and that if there's even one complex life form on Mars, it will be dependent on numerous simpler forms. And so far, we haven't found anything like that. No soil bacteria. No vegetation. No airborne spores. Nothing that leaps up and bangs its chest and says: "Hey! I'm life!"

This may be because all the life is inside; or because it's in a form we don't recognize; or because there's a massive cover-up; or because there's some important bit of data we don't have which would explain why life depends on other life in the Mojave but not on Mars; or because this is the last living organism on Mars, presently starving to death, and we're here at the tail end of an extinction event so mind-boggling we can't conceive it. Alternatively, the picture could be of a robot from Jupiter or an astronaut from Zeta Reticuli. I'm willing to accept all of these as tentative hypotheses, though my willingness to spend my tax dollars on testing them varies.

But under the circumstances, my bet for this photo is on "optical illusion" even before I see it, and nothing about the photo itself changes those odds for me.

On the beeb photo it looks like the mermaid is at the end of a footpath. I can see another humanoid striding towards her about 3/4 down the path. Weird how the mind plays tricks.

I know it's controversial, but could it possibly be a piece of rock weathered in an unusual, anthropomorphic way?

j77mg4.jpg

O and by the way the pic being passed around to the media is false colour version, which is normal, jpl release false colour images to emphasize natural colour variations. The 'alien' is more exposed so it is a slightly different colour, but the false colour image makes it seem a more extreme difference http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... as/spirit/

The image above is based on the jpl 'true' colour version, although i did 'tweak' the colour to better match the color calibration chart on the rover. For some reason, jpl don't correct the 'true' ones properly either :? http://www.rense.com/general80/sunmr.htm

Colour is not really the issue here

- that thing would look odd with any colour bias, purely because of its shape.

Now weathering on Earth produces many strange shapes, but they mainly have a vertical orientation - none that I've seen have anything looking like an arm held out.

Generally speaking, shapes like that belong to the field of biology, not geology.

It may be a bizarre optical effect, but if not it seems to be either humanoid, or a humanoid artefact.

And if it is only inches high, then I think it is an Action Man, transported from some kid's toy cupboard to Mars by the Cosmic Joker! 8)

Perhaps, like the much-vaunted Face in Cydonia, it's an artifact of the landscape and the imaging process.

The Times says:

"Is it a rock? A trick of Martian light on the eye? Or Osama Bin Laden waving from his barren hideout 300 million miles from planet earth? :D

NASA scientists have been puzzled by the peculiarly life-like image which has been beamed back to earth by one of their two robot rovers that are currently trundling about the surface of the red planet, on the hunt for clues of life on Mars."
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 232035.ece

My first thought was that mars is a barron planet with no life, now thats probably correct but maybe the life is underground, i remember the face in mars 10 years ago looked 'manufactured'.

unlikely i know, but interesting

i also saw a likeness to the patterson film....

rynner said:
Colour is not really the issue here

- that thing would look odd with any colour bias, purely because of its shape.

Yes not the main issue, but something that needs to be pointed out.

rynner said:
Now weathering on Earth produces many strange shapes, but they mainly have a vertical orientation - none that I've seen have anything looking like an arm held out.

I purposely cropped the image to show that at least two other surrounding rocks have 'arms' jutting out from them, it also shows the unusual layered weathering. The 'arm' is one layer, and the 'thigh' is another, thats why they are paralell. The 'hook' at the end of the arm is similar to the 'hooks' from other rocks nearby.

That's my 2p!

Bigfoot on Mars? NASA captures alien figure

Is this the picture that proves that there is life on Mars? And the existence of Bigfoot?

unasavid.jpg

The picture was taken in 2004 when enlarged reveals a mysterious figure

It certainly is - if you believe the current crop of rumours whizzing around cyberspace after the image was captured on the surface of the Red Planet.

The photograph, taken in 2004 by the Mars explorer Spirit, appears to show a human shaped object that looks startingly like previous photographs purporting to have captured Bigfoot.

Unsurprisingly, conspiracy theorists have had a field day. One blogger wrote: “My first thought: It’s Bigfoot! If you show me another rock in another photo of Mars that naturally looks like that, I will reconsider. “Doesn’t look very much alive though.”

Another added: “These pictures are amazing. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw what appears to be a naked alien running around on Mars.”

And one more said: “It’s definitely Bigfoot. That’s why we’ve not been able to find him on Earth, he’s gone to Mars.”

However not everyone is convinced - one blogger despaired: “Ah, the human eye can be tricked so easily.”

Spirit, sent to Mars to capture images from the surface of the planet, is one half of a $820m (£410m) mission, along with its twin explorer, Opportunity.

It landed on Mars in January 2004 for a three month mission to search Gusev Crater, a rock strewn stretch of soil that scientists believe could be the bed of an ancient lake. If Mars once had surface water, it had the potential to support life.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ma...VCBQ0IV0?xml=/earth/2008/01/23/scimars123.xml

maximus otter

Edit: Link size reduced and Post moved to 'New Mars Photo, Alien?' Thread. P_M.

I am not a geologist, but here is my tuppence worth...

To my eyes, the rocks that the 'alien' is on look like the weathered remains of an ancient lava flow. With volcanic eruptions, it is possible to get strangely-shaped rocks of all sizes thrown out in all directions.
Some of this rock is like pumice or tufa, and weathers easily in an irregular pattern. It looks to me like the 'alien' is part of the leading edge of the lava flow.

mars-wood-simulacrum.jpg

Conspiracy theorists can't see the wood for the trees as they spot 'timber plank' on Mars
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 3:51 PM on 02nd December 2008

Comments (12)
Add to My Stories
An image sent back from the Red Planet has revealed an object bearing an uncanny resemblance to a wooden log. It was captured by the Mars Rover near the Endurance Crater.

The find has excited conspiracy theorists on blogs and websites who claim it is evidence there are vast forests on Mars that have been kept from the public.

It is more likely to be a case of pareidolia - where a random stimulus is perceived as having significance, be it a symbol seen in a cloud or a face on a piece of toast.

Scientists theorize the phenomenon occurs because humans are hardwired to recognise familiar objects as a survival technique.

Enlarge
A picture of what looks like timber (close-up below) has excited conspiracy theorists who claim it is proof there are vast forests on Mars

The unusual image was featured in a NASA press release in 2004, although the space agency made no mention of the timber-like object captured on the spacecraft's 115th day on Mars.

But one website insists it is a leaked image that 'could get someone killed.' A writer from TheCrit.com said NASA's claims Mars was a desert world were 'lies' and that 'there are vast forests on Mars, ones that are kept from the public.'

They go on to speculate the 'wood' was brought to its present position by a flood of water that must have happened within 40 years 'because the wood is intact.'

Enlarge
Tyre marks indicate the Mars Rover drove over the 'plank' in this image

However, the 'plank' has the same shading and a similar linear pattern to the surrounding rock.

Sadly, there is no scientific evidence of any macroscopic plant life on Mars and the vista in the image is one of a vast and desolate desert.

However, NASA scientists have found water ice in the north polar region of Mars as well as alkaline soil - key ingredients to support life.

In these images there is a polygonal pattern on the ground similar in appearance to polygonal structures in icy ground in the arctic regions of Earth.

'We have found what appears to be the requirements, the nutrients, to support life - whether past, present or future,' Sam Kounaves, lead analyst for the Phoenix spacecraft's mission said.

President Bush announced his intention to support a manned mission to Mars back in 2004. A ready supply of water would be essential to the project.

Source - this will involve you visiting the Daily Mail. I'm sorry.

ProfessorF said:
Conspiracy theorists can't see the wood for the trees as they spot 'timber plank' on Mars
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 3:51 PM on 02nd December 2008

Comments (12)
Add to My Stories
An image sent back from the Red Planet has revealed an object bearing an uncanny resemblance to a wooden log. It was captured by the Mars Rover near the Endurance Crater.

The find has excited conspiracy theorists on blogs and websites who claim it is evidence there are vast forests on Mars that have been kept from the public.

It is more likely to be a case of pareidolia - where a random stimulus is perceived as having significance, be it a symbol seen in a cloud or a face on a piece of toast.

Scientists theorize the phenomenon occurs because humans are hardwired to recognise familiar objects as a survival technique.

Enlarge
A picture of what looks like timber (close-up below) has excited conspiracy theorists who claim it is proof there are vast forests on Mars

The unusual image was featured in a NASA press release in 2004, although the space agency made no mention of the timber-like object captured on the spacecraft's 115th day on Mars.

But one website insists it is a leaked image that 'could get someone killed.' A writer from TheCrit.com said NASA's claims Mars was a desert world were 'lies' and that 'there are vast forests on Mars, ones that are kept from the public.'

They go on to speculate the 'wood' was brought to its present position by a flood of water that must have happened within 40 years 'because the wood is intact.'

Enlarge
Tyre marks indicate the Mars Rover drove over the 'plank' in this image

However, the 'plank' has the same shading and a similar linear pattern to the surrounding rock.

Sadly, there is no scientific evidence of any macroscopic plant life on Mars and the vista in the image is one of a vast and desolate desert.

However, NASA scientists have found water ice in the north polar region of Mars as well as alkaline soil - key ingredients to support life.

In these images there is a polygonal pattern on the ground similar in appearance to polygonal structures in icy ground in the arctic regions of Earth.

'We have found what appears to be the requirements, the nutrients, to support life - whether past, present or future,' Sam Kounaves, lead analyst for the Phoenix spacecraft's mission said.

President Bush announced his intention to support a manned mission to Mars back in 2004. A ready supply of water would be essential to the project.

Source - this will involve you visiting the Daily Mail. I'm sorry.

There is no lumber cartel.

but if there was, their reach is apparently quite long...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandte ... -Mars.html

'Alien skull' spotted on Mars
UFO spotters are claiming they have spotted an alien skull on Mars after NASA beamed back satellite images from the planet.

At first glance it looks like a rocky desert - but this image of the Mars landscape has got space-gazers talking.

An oddly shaped space boulder appears to show eye sockets and a nose leading to speculation it might be a Martian skull.

Internet forums are full of chatter about the picture, taken by a panoramic NASA camera known as Spirit.

One alien-spotter speculated: "The skull is 15 cm with binocular eyes 5 cm apart. The cranial capacity is approximately 1400 cc.

"There appears to be a narrow pointed small mouth, so this creature most likely is a carnivore."

Another joked: "The coronal ridge shows ample structure to support the musculature of antennae, although none are visible in this view.

"The nose area is broad and blunted as you would expect to see in a cold and windy landscape. Is he decapitated or is he buried up to his neck?"

Previous images of a skull spotted on Mars in 2006 were believed to have been the result of tampering.

The famous Face on Mars, snapped by the Viking 1 spacecraft in 1976, which showed the shadowy likeness of a human face was late, was found to be a trick of the light when the area was re-photographed in 1998.

Saw this.

Amazing how many odd shaped rocks you can find on an odd rocky planet isn't it?

Back