• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Things Encountered On Mars' Surface

A

Anonymous

Anomoly in Mars Picture?

Look what I found on the Mars Panoramic Photograph - you will need to download the picture from:

Mars Rovers Pictures

Download the biggest and most high resolution version (8.5meg folks!)

If you have Photoshop this will be easy, if not you can still use the standard windows package to do this.

Zoom into the picture in the middle - gradually a white rock will come into view - just a pebble right? Looks more organic than that to me - there's even a shadow under one of the 'twigs'!

Are we looking at a bone? I wish I was better with Photoshop - I'd love to examine this closer. Can anyone help?

I had a look at it in Photoshop - not sure what it could be, as I'm not an expert on what could possibly be on Mars as naturally occuring objects. It's also blurred slightly and that so that doesn't help. What's more striking is the trail of marks made in the dust by the lander's airbags.

I know - for a minute there I got a bit excited. Would be nice to be the one who discovered something overlooked by NASA boffins, don't you think?

:rolleyes:

Looks much more like a hand poking up through the dirt and sticking two fingers up at the camera.
Those Martians are right jokers.

guttersnipe said:
it looks like a rabbit.

Now you're just being daft.

Anyone would half a brain can see that it's a classic example of a Martian snail.

:D

Damn, thats tantalising stuff. Here is another less dramatic but still very organic looking fragment...

JerryB said:
I had a look at it in Photoshop - not sure what it could be, as I'm not an expert on what could possibly be on Mars as naturally occuring objects.
:rofl: Who is?

It could be a re-entry fried artifact, thrown off by the Martian lander.

There again, perhaps it is something of unusual significance.

AndroMan said:

a new top secret martian style maccy d's burger wrapper :D

It's okay guys, I've analysed it with our high-power magnification equipment. The results are quite interesting. I've posted it here.

Dark Detective said:
It's okay guys, I've analysed it with our high-power magnification equipment. The results are quite interesting. I've posted it here.

Oh, DD that's amazing! Must have taken quite a bit of work to get that level of clarity in the image. Wow.

Bonebunnysnail

I've furgled with it in Photoshop a bit and up'd the levels and res.
I know really its a clip or something plinged off the lander when it came to rest,..... but yes I would love it to be something else

:rolleyes:

Has there been any comment from NASA or any astro sites yet?

or it could the secret listening post for "marvin the martian" :D

Without the aid of cheap Asda Wine

.....and in the harsh light of day, I'd say it is something that's been thrown off the lander - say a bit of orange peel, cuddly rabbit type toy or a hat left there by a careless technician or cleaner.

:)

it looks like a rabbit.

I can feel a Fortean musical crosspollination coming on:

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one he said..."

"...and there's nothing we can't face. Except for bunnies"

Soong said:
Has there been any comment from NASA or any astro sites yet?

Has anyone alerted them to it?

For the record - it looks to me like a slug walking towards the camera. Possibly just curious. Possibly hungry.

Whatzit

It does look a bit like a bunny and a bit like a rude gesture made by Brits, but to me it looks like one of the creatures from the Burgess Shale, you know the one I mean--big grasping claws, body like a trilobite.

Pity that Stephan Jay Gould has gone to that great Simpsons Episode in the Sky, he'd know the name of the critter.

Is this Mars a couple of billion years ago? Whatzit is in the upper right, well, at least the two "fingers" are.

Anomalacaris, that's the begger!

Experts on Mars

AndroMan said:

This is why people must go there in person. There will then be experts on Mars.:cool:

Anomalocaris!
Ha !

So that is where they have gone!

Personally I think it is Donnie Darko.

Or Bugs Bunny, or the corporate insignia of Playboy, Mars, inc.

Inhabitant said:
Has anyone alerted them to it?

For the record - it looks to me like a slug walking towards the camera. Possibly just curious. Possibly hungry.

Best not, hey? Might get said cleaner sacked for shoddy cleaning......

No - I've done it - I sent Nasa an email and will now and forever more be branded a looney.

See ya in the funny pages, folks!

:eek!!!!:

i wonder if those picckies will disapper from the nasa website? ;)

lordshiva said:
No - I've done it - I sent Nasa an email and will now and forever more be branded a looney.

See ya in the funny pages, folks!

:eek!!!!:

Or maybe you'll be remembered as the first person to spot a living organism in a picture taken on another planet.

Ohhh the honor.......

I saw the space slug first!

Na na na na na!

They might name a landing sight after me - Lordshiva on Mars! Pigs in Space!

guttersnipe said:
it looks like a rabbit.

Mods: Possibly merge this thread with "Giant Rabbits" thread in cryptozoology? ;)

lopaka said:
Mods: Possibly merge this thread with "Giant Rabbits" thread in cryptozoology? ;)
If Rynner was here, it would already have been done. ;)

a clip from the craft a nice idea... but theres no indication of impact as with the balloons, and isn't the trajectory wrong??

it looks a bit like a potatoe left in a cupboard too long!

Back