• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Or Unique Coins

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This Swiss commemorative limited issue coin is odd enough for depicting Einstein sticking out his tongue. The weirdness is heightened by the fact the coin is so small a magnifying glass is included so you can clearly see the image.
Switzerland mints world’s smallest gold coin

No joke: Switzerland has minted a gold coin so small you’d need to look very closely to see Albert Einstein sticking out his tongue at you.

State-owned Swissmint said Thursday that the 2.96-millimeter (0.12-inches) gold coin is the smallest in the world.

It weighs 0.063 grams (1/500th of an ounce) and has a nominal value of 1/4 Swiss francs ($0.26).

Swissmint said the coin, of which just 999 have been made, will be sold for 199 francs with a special magnifying glass so owners can see the famous physicist on its face.
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/911b9ab38691e43f5a431975a7ab336d

Whilst mooching about on our school playing field in the late 70s, I found a curiosity that still lurks in a drawer upstairs 40 years on. It looks like a 5p coin, but it's probably just under 1 cm thick? I have no idea what it is or where it came from, but little me was intrigued enough to keep it.(Possibly because my dad worked in a bank, and I somehow always end up with money counting duties!)

Whilst mooching about on our school playing field in the late 70s, I found a curiosity that still lurks in a drawer upstairs 40 years on. It looks like a 5p coin, but it's probably just under 1 cm thick? I have no idea what it is or where it came from, but little me was intrigued enough to keep it.(Possibly because my dad worked in a bank, and I somehow always end up with money counting duties!)
Photo, please?

1 cm thick is highly unusual. The thickest coins I've seen are usually made out of silver.

Somalia apparently has a reputation for issuing weird limited edition coins. Here's a photo of their 2008 3D / geometric shapes coin set, which was reissued in 2014.

somalia-3D-coins.jpg

Somalia is famous not only for pirates but also for its unique coins. All the 2008 3D-coins are made in the forms of various geometrical figures: pyramid, cube, sphere, cylinder, and cone. The coins of 1 dollar value are made of a copper-nickel alloy with silver plating with the coat of arms of Somalia depicted on them. Due to the high demand, an additional issuance of 3D-coins was made in 2014.

SOURCE: https://payspacemagazine.com/all/unique-or-weird-top-10-unusual-world-coins/

A £10,000 gold coin has been produced as part of the Queens Beasts collection, weighing 22lbs it took 4 days to polish.

_118245517_uk21b10kthequeensbeasts2021ukgoldproof10kilocoinreversewithhands2.jpg

The Royal Mint said its biggest coin took 400 hours to produce - including four days of polishing.

The 8in-wide (20cm) coin was created using traditional skills and innovative technology, it said.

It marks the end of the mint's Queen's Beasts commemorative coin collection, inspired by 10 stone statues which lined the Queen's route to Westminster Abbey at her coronation in 1953.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-56920734

A £10,000 gold coin has been produced as part of the Queens Beasts collection, weighing 22lbs it took 4 days to polish.

looks like chocolate and foil!

The only known example of the last gold US double eagle coin has sold at Sotherbys for $18.9 million.

"A 1933 US gold coin has been sold at a Sotheby's auction in New York City for a record $18.9m (£13.4m).

With a face value of $20, the Double Eagle was the last gold coin produced for intended circulation in America.

But it was never issued as President Franklin D Roosevelt withdrew the US from the gold standard, in an effort to lift the country from depression.

Most of the coins were then destroyed and declared illegal to own - with the exception of the one sold on Tuesday."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57402432

A railroad ticket vending machine just gave me several (U.S.) dollar and quarter coins in change. One of the dollars is the Abraham Lincoln from the Presidential series. It looks absolutely normal, like other Lincoln dollars, except it's a bright silver color instead of the normal golden. Silver color for circulating dollars has not been used since 1999 (and was not used between 1981 and 1999) to avoid confusion with quarters. The Lincoln dollar was only made in 2010.

I'm wondering if this was recolored to dupe people into thinking it was the 2009 commemorative Lincoln dollar, made from 90% silver and obviously worth much more than the face value. Anyone have any other ideas?

If it's a 2009 commemorative silver dollar the year "2009" is inscribed on the "face" side.

If it's a 2010 Presidential Series coin the date and mint mark are - or should be - found on the coin's edge.
Yes. As I said, it's clearly a 2010 Presidential Series coin, 2010 P. (At least I think it's a P; a deep scuff on the bottom of the P makes it look like a D that's not centered.) But it's silver in color. I'm assuming someone was trying to sell these to folks who aren't real collectors, making them think they're the true silver coin, which is larger and has a different design.

Looks like someone is trying to sell some of these online, without any special claims: https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m61267500792/ - but I haven't found anyone else describing coins like this.

Some of these are fascinating. Personally, I own nothing more fancy than a £20 coin (quite unusual, all the same, I suppose) and a couple of £1 coins in solid silver.

Edited to add: you lot seem to like tolerate my stamps, so I might post a picture or two of these coins...

Last edited:
Back